main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Postal Strikes

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    So - two strikes this week and a further 3 days next week have been announced. What are you waiting for that hasn't arrived, or have you been affected at all? Maybe you sell on eBay a lot and use on Royal Mail for shipping, or you depend on the post for cheques to arrive at your business.

So far I've received everything I've been waiting for, though I had an Amazon shipment en-route and I wasn't sure if I'd get it before the strike. Luckily it came the other day. I got post as normal today - unfortunately one piece was a letter that my dental appointment is now due. (I could have done without that..:p ).

2. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I ordered a Samsung Solid Extreme from Amazon but there's no rush as it's going to be a festival phone and festival season is in the summer :p

Lost Season 5 box set may end up being late.

I may be slightly delayed in sending two phones to be recycled to fonebank.com, but again, no rush.

3. chrisfree

chrisfree Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2006
    I finally received my last part of an order I made some time ago to Amazon and it is the R2D2 usb hub. Just before the strike! (Despite being a 'gimmick' it DOES work. So far. [face_dancing] )

I'm more worried about how this might have a knock-on effect on my christmas gifts as I'm generally quite crap at sending them on time anyway and they tend to go to other countries.

I'm confused about the reasoning of both sides and personally dislike all union strikes. If a union has problems with its members' working conditions take the company to court and work for their membership fees. There are plenty of worker protection laws to prove their rights or wrongs. Don't punish us everyday people, wholding everybody to the gun and pointing the fingers at the managers always. Strikes lost my support at the latest Tube strike the other day. I always thought these continuous strikes were only done this regulary by the loony French who just wanted a day or two off. 8-}

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Sometimes the best way to get a government to listen is to physically cripple the nation so they are forced into a position where they have to do something. I think all people are entitled to strike if they so with, such is the joy of democracy.

I am trying to put together parts for a Halloween costume I want to wear to work. However I am skeptical about ordering parts online as I don't know if they will arrive by next week.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you're ordering from a company, see who they use for shipping. If you're ordering from an individual on eBay, it might be 'pot luck'.
    I know Amazon has said they will be dropping Royal Mail for shipments over 500g.

6. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    About half a week ago I ordered Enduring Love by Ian McEwan. It arrived yesterday morn (the first day of the postal strike) :D

7. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    No post for me today. Just a pizza menu probably put through the door by a leaflet person.

8. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Only things that would affect me would be letters from Natwest or Student loan company but as they are posted from the UK to Canada and as cheap as you can get it takes a few weeks to get here anyway :p

9. DarthArsenal6

DarthArsenal6 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 16, 2001
    Hmpgh If only that got delayed !!!!

10. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    My post arrived as usual, and as usual it was a bill [face_plain] telling me I owe more than I actually do. On the plus side, that book I won on ebay turned up no problems :D

11. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Does the phrase Going Postal mean the same thing in the UK
    as it does in the states?

Just wondering.[face_thinking]

12. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I doubt it. The US meaning usually involves weaponry and anger at one's workplace or workmates.. :p

13. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Much like our educational system, what? [face_flag] 8-} [face_flag]

14. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Interestingly enough, both my phone and Lost were delivered today on time.

Along with a letter from specsavers reminding me that I was due for a contact lens check.

15. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    And even more ironically, the first half of a print I was waiting on at work - meant to be delivered by a private courier - arrived AFTER the half that was sent by royal mail...[face_thinking]

16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Well, right now it looks like the strikes will go ahead tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday. I got no post today so that's a real good start. Luckily I don't have any packages in transit this time (that I know of). I have one Amazon UK order outstanding but it's still a pre-order as the book isn't out til next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.