The Potters House Devotional thread

Discussion in 'Mojave Desert CA' started by Stridarious, Feb 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Today, I was reading the first chapter of this book, by Stormi Omartian. It's titled :- Just enough light for the step I'm on..." and it's about dependancy on God.

Dependancy on the Lord is something I strongly speak about but I know that practicing it can be a real trial. I've been through a lot these past few years and I know that I've been trying to hard to do things in my own strength.

One of the first things I read in the book was that unlike parents who want us to one day be independant...God wants us to depend more and more on him.

Amazing isn't it? I hear people telling me everyday that they hate dependancy. I love the idea that I can ask Jesus to take over :) ...rather than struggling on my own.

However, I am stubborn and that has caused me to struggle far too much befre accepting the fact that there are things I will never be able to do on my own.

Feel free to jump into this subject any time Strid...I'd like to hear what you think. :) And anyone else here...please, do join in. :)
  2. TheOmen Jedi Knight

star 2
    I'm pretty sure that I don't need to be overly dependant on an entity. Unless it's a drug or something. Then you must obey it's every command. Goob-Glaash.
  3. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Here is something I have been working up for this thread. In recent years I have taught at Granite Hills High Schools "SALTT Christian Club".

And this happens to be a sermon I thought great to share with them ;) . I hope you all enjoy it as much as I had fun sharing it! :D
    God?s Immediate Will:

Actually, knowing God?s lifelong plan in your life really does help in making of day-to-day decisions. If you know He wants you ?mature and complete, not lacking anything? (James 1:4), chances are you?ll try to follow that plan.
    But if you?re still not sure, there are six very easy ways to find God?s immediate will in your life-six ways to help you make those day-to-day decisions. And if three or four seem to point in the same direction, chances are that?s the direction you should be heading.
    1. ) Read God?s Word
    This is easily the most important way of finding out God?s will. There are several reasons for this importance, but the main one is the incredible power of His Word. Remember, it was with God?s spoken Word that He actually created the universe.
    And remember when Jesus and Satan were battling it out during Jesus? temptation? They didn?t use guns, tanks, or bombs-they didn?t even try to nuke each other. Instead, the Creator of the universe and the most evil force in the universe both knew the most powerful weapon in the universe. They fought with one thing and one thing only: God?s Holy Word, the Bible (Matthew 4:1-11).
    There?s something terribly powerful, something supernatural about God?s Word. First of all, it?s ?God breathed? (2 Timothy 3:16). Somehow, a part of God?s very life is in those words. And since they have been His life, as we read and study them, they begin to change us?.

· They cleanse (Ephesians 5:26).
    · They encourage (Romans 15:4).
    · They equip us to do good (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
    · They even give faith (Romans 10:17).

Pretty powerful stuff.
    As we dwell on God?s Word, we actually find ourselves starting to think more like Him, to act more like Him, and to make the decisions He would have us make.
    It?s like hanging around a close friend. We don?t go around consciously trying to imitate each other. But gradually, as we spend more time together, we start to think increasingly alike. We start saying and doing some of the same things.
    That?s the sort of friendship and closeness God is looking for. Not because He?s an egoist and wants a bunch of God-clones walking around. But because He knows that when we think and act like Him, we tend to be much happier.
    Unfortunately, none of this learning and understanding happens overnight. There are no pills for instant, no hot line numbers for mistaking godly decisions. God does not want mindless puppets. He wants friends. And as we spend time with Him in His Word, that friendship just naturally develops. We begin to naturally think and speak as he does. We begin to naturally develop ?the mind of Christ.? And quiet often, we begin to just naturally do what He would have us do.
    So, if you haven?t started to read God?s Word on a daily basis, do it. If you have, keep it up. It will give you clear guidelines and principles to help you in nearby every area of decision-making.
    2. ) Pray For Wisdom
    Another way of finding out God?s will is though prayer:

?If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him? (James 1:5).

That?s quite a promise. And it?s true. Despite what it feels like sometimes, God is not into playing hide-and-seek with His will. Chances are He wants you to know His will even more than you do. So ask.
    It?s doubtful you?ll be receiving any ?angel-grams? or instructions carved in stone (although both have been known to happen). But somehow, some way, if you?re really serious, He?ll let you know what you should do. It may not be in your timing or in your way-but rest assured, you will know. You have may word on it.
    Better yet, you have His.
    3. ) Seek Co/>
  4. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Great stuff Strid...There's so much to discuss there. Can we go piece by piece? :)

You mentioned about us developing qualities that were "like that of God"...Yes definitely. The more time we spend with Him, that's what happens.

Also, as people who are created in his likeness...we ought to give him Praise for just being created. It's amazing how we can take things for granted sometimes...but look around. God created all this. [face_shocked]

Look at creation...it's proof that there is an Almighty Creator God. :D

It?s doubtful you?ll be receiving any ?angel-grams? or instructions carved in stone

How true. Sometimes I wish my life was written out in the form of a book. Then I could turn to the relevent chapter and see what I have to do at that point in time.
    But God doesn't want it that way. He wants me to lean on Him...to trust Him.

Then why no answers? It used to frustrate me...still does. But then I realise that I'm just not listening... or not reading the Word...

Aah, so much info Strid...do drop in so we can discuss this. :D

I'll post more on the other points later... :)
  5. Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Haven't had time to read all of this, but Humaira showed it to me so I had to post! :D

This is cool, when I have time I'll have to post some of my devotional stuff :)

God bless y'all!

-Malz
  6. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sounds great Malz4JESUS, I look forward to your posts! :D

Now onto further discussion, as it says within and as you mentioned Jedi_Humaira_Blaine, we need to be "like that of God"

And as you also mentioned with time of reading his word and praying we can be as of that. But we must also be careful, we are no larger then him, nor more powerful. Need I remind us of Lucifer? :confused:

Well, perhaps I will despite the fact that many have already heard it. As some herein know, Lucifer was the most beautiful angel, till he wanted the glory and praise. Then he fell, taking his angels along with him. To become what we now consider the Devil. :(

We must be careful for what reasons we do things. Ask yourself is it glorifying God? Or am I merely edifying myself?
  7. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Aaah, I think I worded it wrong there Strid. I meant... Our ways should be like those exhibited by the Lord. Our minds and hearts should be attuned. :)

Are we glorifying God

Yes, a very important question to ask ourselves at all times.

I know what you mean, about losing track of this. When I first got involved with worship at church, I was a shy gal in the music team.

Then one day I opened up and started to sing specials. At first, it was very nerve wracking but later I began to wonder if I was actually praising God or just blowing my own trumpet...y'know? :confused:

I took a really long and hard look at what was happening to me. When I was able to focus on praising God...my need for praise and the positive comments from others diminished.

I realized that serving God in the music ministry was a team effort. It wasn't me. I was just a vessel. An instrument the Lord was using. I really didn't have the right to think that God needed me...

In truth...I need Him.

Hmm, just thought I'd share that. [face_blush]

And Malz! :D Welcome to the thread. It's gonna be great having you around here. :)
    Like Strid, I too look forward to your posts! :cool:

8. TheOmen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Lucifer means "Lightbringer." Maybe he is the one who will bring light to the future. :)

Anyone who wants to discuss this, please jump right on in!
  9. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    he may appear to be that lightbringer, but in truth thats the way he wants all to see him.

He is not a good person. In fact many times he has tried to bring one down by giving them all they want. That nice pair of pants, those set of skates, and perhaps even wealth.

but in the end he takes it all away, and leaves you with nothing... :(

Its all a game to get you to follow him, rather then the real person whom loves [face_love] you.
  10. TheOmen Jedi Knight

star 2
    Lightbringer takes? Hmmm. I don't know about that. That other fellow seems to do more of that.
  11. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You may loose worldly things, but in the end you gain so much more then you could ever imagine! :D

Take up the cross and follow him (Jesus). Its a decesion that will alter everything you ever thought you held dear. ;)
  12. TheOmen Jedi Knight

star 2
    I follow one man.....his name is Lucas of the George. And this is not a forum to speak otherwise, He may be watching. :cool: HE IS GOD HERE. :)
    Peddle your wares somewhere else, perhaps a different board, but for the love of Lucas, keep things mainly Star Wars based here.
    Please.
  13. DanakinSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
  14. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Hi all! :D

Hmm this thread has been quiet. ;)

Okay, I just wanna share something with all of you, coz..well I needed to tell you about something great that happened.

Strid, sorry...I hope it's okay that I share a testimony in this thread. :)

For almost 2 years now I was unable to attend church regularly...sometimes I was away fro 5-6 months at a time. I had no regular spiritual nourishment and my devotional life was slipping. The reason was classes on weekends that kept me away from any kind of church programme.

What started out as a dry Christian walk became more like depression...and that's what it was. Blanket depression. It was getting hopeless and I needed counselling. I was having personal problems and they were only getting worse because my prayer life was practically non-exixtent.

Finally, just a few weeks ago, after speaking to a certain pastor and his wife I was asked to attend a bible study group close to my home. It was on a day of the week on which I had no classes.

The first week, I dodged it, feeling both guilty and nervous. Finally this week-that's the day before yesterday-I went. It was great. :D It's a all girl group and it's just 5 of us. I enjoyed it...the study was nice, the new people were really nice and I feel like things are slowly falling into place.

I want to thank and Praise God for this. [face_love]Without Jesus, what would I be... [face_love]

Okay, getting a bit teary eyed here. [face_blush]

I just wanted to tell you all about this...

Our God is in the miracle working business...sometimes I lose heart and give up on God...

But praise the Lord...he doesn't give up on me...or any of us! [face_love]

15. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    No please feel free to state so, as this is what the thread had been created for. For believers to post their studies and lessons and even testimonies to better one another and show the grace of God through whatever means needed ;) .
  16. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Thanks so much for the encouragement Alex... :)

It means a lot, my friend. :)

I went to church today, after a loooooong time. I had been attending a small church but there weren't any people my age and I used to feel quite lonely.

I'm new there but it's amazing how nice people are. I've made a new friend-my prayer cell leader and she's keen to get me used to the place. :D

Praise the Lord...He's wonderful!

So, do we discuss the earlier bible study you mentioned Alex... :)

17. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You can even start your own if you feel lead to ;) .
  18. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, I doubt I can find great devotional studies like the ones you've posted ;)...but I can share stuff from my prayer group and from church... :)

And hey, we can always share testimonies and stuff. :D

So, maybe I'll take you up on that, Alex! ;)
  19. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Sounds great, soon I'll be seeing you preaching the gospel! :D
  20. TheOmen Jedi Knight

star 2
  21. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Alright I think its time for me to update this bad boy. As so, I will be editing this threads main title and also its main post to fit better with the discussion occuring herein ;) .
  22. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well, God works in mysterious ways! ;)

Aaah, now that we're back on track :D...I thought I'd share a little somink...

Last Sunday at church, our pastor shares an interesting message. He talked about how we need to have a vision, but also about how God shows us the beginning, the end but not the middle of the plan he has for us. :)

If you're wondering where I'm going with this, I'll explain further. :D

God show's us that he has a plan for us and He gurantees that He will take us through it. The problem is, we want to know how we're gonna get there... ;)

I can honestly say that I sometimes wish that I had a manual or a book for my life. Where I could just check a chapter to see what I have to do next....Why? Coz, I lose heart waiting for God to work things out. But, that's not what God wants for me...

He wants to get us there, at there right time...His time! He loves us and knows what's best for us. We have to tust Him to get us there... He will...We have to hold on to the promise and believe...

It's something I struggle with all the time... :(

Alex, how do you deal with situations when it's just so frustrating to sit through it...I know prayer is what I need...sometime I have a hard time with that. :(

Small prayer request...my prayer life...I need to build it up properly again...I'm picking up pieces...Can you just remember me while you go through your devotions? :)

23. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Jedi_Humaira_Blaine: " how we're gonna get there... ;) "

All to true, I look at the circumstances now and wonder, well, how much longer till I'm there?

And its at those moments that God shines through and teaches us that we need not know of how these circumstances will turn out, yet how God will guide us to that end we all strive for! :D

"Alex, how do you deal with situations when it's just so frustrating to sit through it...I know prayer is what I need...sometime I have a hard time with that. :( "

I many times have a hard time dealing with stressful situations. As you may already know I do not like to argue for that reason. It bares up a much more brutal force then a friendly chat over it.

I sometimes find myself needing to be on my knees in prayer, actually thats all the time! 8-}
  24. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus

star 5
    I understand what you mean by arguing and there being no point to it. :)

I know...God knows what has happened and He can see if I've been wronged in any way. It's better for Him to put it right, isn't it? :)

Prayer...

That's what I'm going to focus on...I'm thankful that God has placed me in a prayer cell which is run by a wonderful girl, who is concerned and wants to ensure that I get through hard times. I know I will be blessed through this cell and I'm so grateful to Jesus for this. :D

BTW, Alex...feel free to call me by my RL name. :) I know my user name is a mile long! [face_laugh]
  25. Stridarious Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Of course, I feel that prayer like military weapons can be used to fight off those whom may come against us. I also feel that paryer is a device that is a hidden, where you can fire several shots without that person knowing anything of it. 8-}
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.