main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Pound (£) Vs. The Euro (E)?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jumping Jedi Flash, Jan 2, 2002.

?

The Pound (£) Vs. The Euro (E)?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Keep The Pound?

73.9%
  2. Scrap The Pound?

26.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    Arrr right i get yeah! Cause of the strong pound?!

Also if we go in will the max we are allowed to import change (ie with out tax) -£18???

2. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    I'm not too sure to be honest - I missed that lecture and didn't bother swotting up on it for the exam

3. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    LOL, and I thought you were interested in it because of your politcal stance!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1739000/1739966.stm

a graph of the euro Vs. the dollar, down down deeper and down comes to mind ;)

4. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    Monopoly money

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1742000/1742098.stm

Some guy used monopoly euro money!!! and it worked!!!!! Kick in the teeth!

5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Although I voted to keep the pound, I really can see the public being swayed to vote for the Euro when the referendum comes about. There's a lot of interest for the the Euro amongst high profile groups who will set about thier brainwashing tactics in the next few months.

6. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    but we are strong,

we will live on

//jjf throws his sword in the air

FREEEEDOMMMM!

8 Vs. 3 were winning!

7. adamTK-421

adamTK-421 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2002
    i think basically an average joe in the street would say keep the pound because that's what the majority of newspapers/tv (daily mail is a good example) tell us is right. BUT the reality of it is the U.K. cannot afford to stay out of the euro for much longer. many industries are looking to europe to invest in instead of here.
    Example: My father was recently made redundant from his old job at Celestica, a high tech box-build company (he has since got another job which is good) because of the sheer cost of keeping the british operation running. Instead they parcelled off all my dad's projects to italy, in the hands of an incompetant (spelling?!) fool. but that is irrelevent. what is relevant is that big multi-nationals in the US feel the cost of operations in britain is rising.
    Another point to be very aware of is that the euro is now the currency of the republic of ireland. which means you are going to see a lot of euro's creeping into britain 'through the back door' if you like, as they are accepted at a lot of airports and shops along the border of the republic and northern ireland.
    I think the government of this country are for joining the euro, but haven't the balls to admit that to us because public opinion is still in favour of the pound. a year down the line, when lots of people will have used the currency on holiday, seen it in the high streets of big cities and basically realised that the currency is tangiable and real? that i think is what labour is banking on. familiarity.
    phew! i think i'm gonna go to bed! later dudes and dudettes!

8. Zyphyr

Zyphyr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2001
    I'd love to have our currency change to the Euro.

But since I live in Australia I don't think it will happen too soon.

9. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    Hehehe australia in europe!

thats a good idea! Euroralia!

Tis true what the govt want to do is join the currency, but the time is not now, let the people get use to it then spring it on em.

Face it everybody wants to go down in history, blairs no difference, hes big oppurtunity is to get britain into the euro.

I mean maggaie thatcher "the milk lady" down in history etc etc

10. adamTK-421

Jan 4, 2002
    hehe, yeah maggie will cert do down in history. single handed almost-destroyer of britain's heavy industry, firing on argie ships that are running away so having a nice war to take the heat out of critics back home. lovely lady!
    that's a good point about wanting to be remembered though, blair would just love that, the slimy ar**!
    well we DID own the aussies at one point....britain had the largest empire ever, even bigger than roman. we used to own 1/4 of the world! then along comes world war II...

11. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    Euro.

Change is inevitable, my friends. Its time for the jingoists and xenophobes to accept that we live in a big continent, and that we will all prosper if we all have the same currency.
    Whilst I am against our govt not being able to set our own interest rates, I am in favour of the Euro. Contradictory maybe, but thats how I see it.

And after all, the right wing press love the USA. Dont they see that the Eurozone will become exactly the same if we all have the same currency?

12. Ramesh

Ramesh Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2000
    Stick with the sterling I say, but I do agree that change is inevitable and we could end up in a deeper recession if we dont keep up. Although its a shame it has to called a euro, the word is jinxed... eurodisney, eurotunnel, etc etc.

13. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    we live in a big continent

I dont I live on an island. :D

edit: But got to give maggie credit she did kick argetine BUTT! ;)
    Some programs on it on ch4 this week.

14. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    about the argentine conflict we still made loads of still mistakes or should i say the politicians made really bad mistakes.

15. adamTK-421

Jan 4, 2002
    u just watched those programs on channel 4 didn't you?! ;)
    yeah i think you're right. it could so easily gone the other way. if the argies had had 4 or 5 more exocets then u could scratch our carriers and then we wolud have lost! scary to think really!
    anyway i'm gonna go play tiberium sun. nice. later peeps!

16. Gastrid19

Gastrid19 Jedi Youngling

Dec 12, 2001
    but we'll lose those wonderful 50p's with the stars on. You know the ones, you feel really privelaged to have if u get one cos they're rare! (or maybe thats just me)

17. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    yeah very close! incuding this debate on the euro now 10 Vs 6 (JJF loads up his SOCKS)

//Plan foiled he cant remember any of the passwords!

18. Echo_Base

May 15, 2001
    Screw Thatcher.
    Tried to turn the UK into the 51st state, failed.
    Smashed the welfare state. Poor got poorer, and the rich got richer under the witch.
    Still, every cloud has a silver lining. Because of her, we wont see a Tory government for another 15 years.

19. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    And what would be wrong with being the 51st state, pray tell? ;)

20. Commander Antilles

Commander Antilles Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 21, 1999
    And what would be wrong with being the 51st state, pray tell?

How much time have you got for us to list the reasons?

21. Wormie2

Wormie2 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Don't fuss so. We won't force you to fly our flag....yet. :D

22. Gav Daragon

Gav Daragon Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 25, 2000
    I'm thinking Blair is picking up where Maggie left off :mad:

23. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    I emphatically say we shouldn't.
    We don't need to join Europe.
    The government may say we are just handing over our pound for a Euro but we are handing more power to the EU which we CANNOT do. Once we lose our currency we are controlled by Europe. Do you really want that?
    I certainly don't. We have needed Europe before and now we are being controlled by these bureacrats and Tony Blair just wants to hand over the control of this country to them.
    Britain should say independent of Europe and scrap being in the EU we don't need them.

Its basically Germany getting control of Europe via the EU (its extreme i know but thats as simple as it gets).

EDIT: Also think about this if we were to join the Euro and we faced problems of high inflation and wanted interest rates to rise, with the effective control we would have given the EU and the ECB (european central bank), we wouldn't get help because it could damage some countries and benefit others but overall damage Europe's economy.
    It baffles me why Blair wants to rid our currency and our control over our finances to the Europeans.
    At least Thatcher wasn't trying desperately to give Europe our controls over our country.

24. Echo_Base

May 15, 2001
    "Its basically Germany getting control of Europe via the EU (its extreme i know but thats as simple as it gets)."

And who says racism and xenophobia is dead? Suppose youll say something like, "theyve been planning this since Nuremberg" next. Christ, I hate Little Englanders.

Even the onces who support ITFC.

25. adamTK-421

Jan 4, 2002
    >Once we lose our currency we are controlled by Europe.

Don't think that's true. For instance our law and order system (no laughing at the back please ;)) will still be our own. your comment implies that as soon as we accept the euro (and we will) we will cease to be our own country and be in some sort of european superstate. this is not true.

>We have needed Europe before
    >Britain should say...we don't need them.

hummm...!

>Tony Blair just wants to hand over the control of this country to them.

hahahahahahaha! that one made me laugh. if there was ever a case of power corrupting someone it is mr. Blair. now he want's to hand over power to someone else? i think not. Blair would do ANYTHING to hang on to power.

as for your germany comment, well anyone with an ounce of brain can see that is a dangerous and narrow-minded point of view (sorry to get a bit nasty but racism and xenophobia really really pee me off).

Britian has a strong economy and therefore it's inclusion will stabalise and strengthen the euro. and as a side point the german economy whilst on paper is slightly stronger than ours is a lot more fragile due to the west-east divide (communism sucks ;))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.