main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Pound (£) Vs. The Euro (E)?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jumping Jedi Flash, Jan 2, 2002.

?

The Pound (£) Vs. The Euro (E)?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Keep The Pound?

73.9%
  2. Scrap The Pound?

26.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTerrious

DarthTerrious Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 16, 2001
    Well I'd like to apologize for my xenophobic comment, it wasn't meant to come across as that but there you go with politically correct sh!t.
    But Tony Blair isn't just simply trying to get us to join Europe and have a new currency but he is giving little bits of our independence away. It starts with the Euro but ends with us having the EU in Brussels as our Government.
    The fact is we are strong on our own we don't need the Euro as our currency.
    It does amaze me how Blair is trying to pull the wool over people's eyes.
    But he isn't alone, like every other political system ours is full of corruption and propaganda.
    But we have the problem that we are weak when we meet our European neighbours. The fact we have accepted EU law as our own has disrupted law and order and ruined this once great country. The common market is a waste of time as well. Look whats its done to our agriculture industry, although with the foot and mouth disease and mad cow disease doing so much damage you'd have forgotten the legislation thats ruined the industry.
    But we can survive within Europe without many of these things. The Euro included.
    The Euro does pose damaging effects on our economy and for industry. Blair hasn't told you that and he wont be likely to.
    Once i thought we were a great and independent country who wouldn't let anyone push us around but now we've become weak and easily manipulated.
    If only we were as clever as the Swiss, they aren't in the EU and they are surviving well without it, same goes for Norway.
    Do we really need the EU? Why be dependent on a system which is bureacratic and dangerously close to corruption?
    Keeping the pound isn't so much about keeping a stupid note and coins, its about controlling our finances and being able to make our own decisions without bureacrat influence. Its about being Great Britain, not Europe, and if you want its about holding our traditions and keeping something that makes us British.
    Damn i feel like i'm doing a speech against the Euro. Never mind, the truth is many are still against the Euro and Blair won't get the chance to make this "European Utopia" which begins with the Euro.

2. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    "Why be dependent on a system which is bureacratic and dangerously close to corruption?"

As opposed to Westminster, of course.

Frnakly, we'll never agree on this. Terrious, your argument seems to be based more on bluster and anti-foreigner sentiment than it does on the facts of the matter.

I dont pretend to understand the arguments. But, frankly, if its good enough for Gordon Brown, then its good enough for me. As was said earlier, if you think Blair is gonna give an OUNCE of power away, youre living in dreamland. Its high time we did away with this island attitude, and accepted the fact that we NEED Europe, and Europe NEEDS us. 55% of our trade is with them, after all! And if we can help out a few poorer people throughout Europe who dont have great pensions or whatever, isnt that a GOOD thing?
    Wake up and smell the Cafe au lait. The business community wants the Euro, the govt wants the Euro, and the Far Eastern markets want the Euro. The Yanks dont want it, cos they know it would make Europe an enormous business rival in the emerging markets, and the RightWing press dont want it cos, hey, theyre foreigners for gods sake! How dare they tell us how to run our economies - next theyll be trying to make us eat croissant for breakfast and Sauerkraut for tea!

I dont trust Blair, but I think hes an honest bloke. But if Brown wants it, thats good enough for me.

3. adamTK-421

adamTK-421 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2002
    like the cafe au lait bit!
    Think this one has gotten away fron the point earlier on. bottom line, this country within the next 5-10 years will join the euro. simple as that. you may not like it. hell i don't really (and sometimes i've felt like a german chancellor here ;)) but it's what's gonna happen cos in 10 years europe will be tight as a nut and we on our own ain't big enough to play with the heavy hitters.
    oh and flash, communism does suck! BECAUSE human nature needs to have something to take home after a day's work, not 3 hunks of bread that some rich parasitic landowner gives you. Capitalism aint exactly the fairest system in the world, but what do you do? industralise the third world? then who provides the resourses necessary for western lifestyle? it sucks, but thank god we were born on the nice side of the line.

4. AlphaWolf

AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 27, 2000
    I'm not sure where I stand on the euro. I understand the reasoning behind us joining it but I KNOW there will be price rises because of it and, frankly, I think we already pay through the nose in this country.

As for the devolution thing. I'm not for or against to be honest. I think if you ask the regular Joe then thats the most common answer you'll get (in England anyway). At the end of the day, the UK is still together. I know there are movements to split it up but it's still together. Why? What are Scotland, NI, Wales and England, getting out of being the UK? It Must be something. I can't see the Scottish, Irish and Welsh standing for 'opression' in this day and age. I know there must be issues like english owned business and land and stuff but, there MUST be benefits to being part of the UK? No?

sheesh.

On the whole, other peoples opinions seem to be respected in this thread.

I hope it can continue that way. However, if anyone has any serious issues then yous know where i am if you need me. We don't need any arguments in here (not that there has been any major ones yet) but we're all friends in here right?

5. adamTK-421

adamTK-421 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2002
    hear hear alpha. well i dunno anyone in here cos i've only been posting for about 4 days! but hopefully people don't hate my guts already. that comes later ;) naw, i'm alright, but then i'm biased!

6. Zyphyr

Zyphyr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2001
    I'm really sorry, guys, but I'm going to be a pain in the bum again and ask another question about the Bank of Scotland vs. Bank of England pound.

Jumping Jedi Flash said that the Scottish pound is legal tender in England, but some shop keepers don't accept it because they either don't know what it looks like, or think it could be forged. My follow-on question is that if it is legal tender, surely it would be illegal for anyone to refuse to accept it in lieu of Bank of England pound notes.

Sorry to keep interrupting your debate with dumb, uneducated, Antipodean questions!

7. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Well think of it like this... all credit cards are valid for transactions in this country. Do you think it should be illegal for shops to refuse to accept any brand credit card? Most shops take 2 or 3 of the major ones and that is about it. Most of the rest have to allign themselves with one of the majors to be able to be widely used.

8. MOTs_Minx

MOTs_Minx Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 26, 2000
    I know the Scottish money thing for a fact cuz it happened to my sis when she came down to visit and it happened to me a few times when I came to visit Jon before I moved down.

Scottish money IS legal tender because it has STERLING on it. English money can be used in Scotland with no probs at all (in fact, my Mum saves up all the English money she receives in change and gives it to me :) ).

I have no idea why England doesnt accept Scottish Notes. I was speaking to a pakistani shop keeper a few years back who DID accept notes and he said he would change all our Scottish notes for English because they are worth more when cashed in at the bank. Dunno how true that is but he did it anyway... :)

9. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    That's a totally crap comment, man. Shops have to pay to accept credit cards. What's the point in having hundreds of people providing credit cards and the shops having to pay surcharges to all of them?! Instead, the companies that want to provide credit cards have to pay one of the major card vendors who then provide them with a means of distributing their credit services.

10. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    I've never had a problem with using scottish notes. Not that I have used them often. And shops have given me scottish notes and I haven't minded.

11. MayhemUK

MayhemUK Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 20, 2001
    Yes I know that Sam. I was just offering it as an analogy. He was asking why isn't it illegal to refuse Scottish notes. For the same reason it isn't illegal to refuse some credit cards: it's the shop's choice and not yours...

12. Poodu

Poodu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 3, 1999
    Not really though, is it. In theory, Scottish notes are legal tender and therefore a shop cannot refuse payment in them. Postage stamps are legal tender as well, did you know that? I know someone who paid their TV licence in 1p stamps! :D

13. Zyphyr

Zyphyr Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 13, 2001
    Oh I love that Poodu! I wonder if I could book a flight on British Airways using stamps as well... :D

So that I can clarify what my point was (and as drunk as I am, I think I can still remember it vaguely) I'll let you know exactly why I'm confused - no matter how stupid and colonial it makes me appear! (Hey, I'm drunk! I got no pride right now!)

1. The pound is the legal currency for ALL of the UK, right? If so, why divide it into Scottish and English pounds? I mean, is there a Northern Irish pound as well? (And incidentally, if not do they accept only the English pound or both versions?)

2. If English pounds are accepted in Scotland then why wouldn't Scottish pounds be accepted in England?

3. (A point, not a question really.) Credit cards aren't legal tender. They are a credit facility. It is up to the individual trader if they accept credit cards or not. However, unless the UK economy is vastly different to ours, legal tender is legal tender and everyone has to accept them. That's the whole concept of 'legal tender' as opposed to bartering or using pretty coloured beads, isn't it?

4. If a currency is considered legal tender, wouldn't a trader be legally bound to accept it? For instance, every damn year it seems our government brings out some pretty new coin to commemorate whatever the hell the theme of the year is (Silver Jubilee, Year of the Child, Decade of Groomed Poodles, etc.) Now these don't look like regular coins, yet shopkeepers are obliged to accept them because they are considered legal tender in Australia. No choice involved. Currency isn't up to the shopkeeper after all, it's up to the government surely?

5. But I guess my main question is, why set up separate bank notes if they're not going to be accepted in different parts of the UK? They are worth exactly the same amount. And they are all within the United Kingdom. Why create all this bother? Why not just have one centralised pound, or if you want separate bank notes tell traders that they legally have to accept either note regardless of whether they are in England or Scotland?

and finally, in response to one of the prior posts,

6. I do believe I'm a 'she' not a 'he'. Understandable error, quite frankly. At this point of inebriation I'm even confused at that right myself. :D

14. Ooh_Aah_Cantona

Ooh_Aah_Cantona Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 13, 2000
    just read all of your post Zyphyr, and whilst it was valid and interesting your last statement caught my eye. You're feamle and drunk? PM me a pic of yourself. Go on. You know you want to. ;)

15. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    Why create all this bother? Why not just have one centralised pound

You should ask

Who created all this bother?

The scots ;) they wanted their own money!

16. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    //smug grin

Probably

17. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    Its a bit like the euro (getting back on topic) it has different coins for each of the countries so i take it you can take this other coins to different countris with no problem.

But that makes it harder to spot fakes etc.

18. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    (using my new scanner OCR talents)

EU rules on lumpy sauces
    EUROCRATS were last night locked in urgent talks on just how lumpy sauces should be.
    After a two-day meeting the Customs Code Committee will rule next month if tinned chunky sauces should be reclassified as vegetables. Vegetables face EU import and export tariffs up to 10 times higher than sauces. The EU current lump-limit is set at a maximum of 2O per cent. Classification is determined by putting the sauce through a sieve with a strictly controlled mesh size. Anything lumpier is deemed a vegetable. Veteran Eurosceptic and Ibry MP John Redwood, said: ?The mind just boggles. One could not have thought they could have come up with anything more ridiculous.
    ?It?s just one of the reasous why people are getting increasingly sick of the European Union.?

(all of it was done using OCR so if some of is wrong dont blame me , but you get the jist of it)

mmm, i know this isnt about the currency but its about how worse things would be if we were more intergrated then we are now.

mm, i guess by my estmate that we (Britain) produces the vast amount of chutney etc so it would be AGAIN another rule to make us weaker on the global stage thanks to those IDIOTS at euro central.

19. MOTs_Minx

Oct 26, 2000
    FECKIN HELL

I have this printed out ready for me to put into a post...

;) You beat me to it JJF :)

LOL

How funny is that????

20. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    i call it destiny [face_love]

[face_mischief]

21. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    from yesterday express (OCR)
    Just don?t mention euro to the Germans

RIP-OFF traders are making their mark on the euro - by doubling prices.
    Since Germany dropped the Deutschmark in fiwour of the new European currency, shopkeepers have cashed in and outraged High Strasse shoppers and consumer groups.
    Some food items are up by as much as 90 per cent and in some cases more than 100 per cent.
    Now some shoppers have vowed to boycott traders profiteering on confusion over the new money.
    Wholesalers are blaming freezing temperatures and snow that has blanketed much of Europe since Christmas. They say producers in
    southern Europe are responsible for the price hikes.
    But consumer groups say that even fruit and vegetables grown in greenhouses in the nearby Netherlands has shot up.
    Now the Consumer Centre watchdog office in Dusseldorf has published a ?name and shame? list of rogue traders on its Internet site.
    Meanwhile, a study by the Consumer Research Institute in Cologne shows that 25 per cent of prices have been increased as a result of the euro.

come on prices wouldnt rise aaa you fecking eurolovers!

22. Echo_Base

Echo_Base Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2001
    I believe Conrad Black still owns the Express newspaper group.
    He was a...still is I suppose...a good friend of a certain Mrs. M Thatcher. She kicked up one hell of a stink when he was refused a knighthood on the grounds he is Canadian (i think hes Canadian).

And he doesnt like the Euro, so his paper prints stories to whip up anti-European sentiment. What a surprise...
    Read between the lines, guys.

23. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    As an American, my point of view...

- joining the Euro will sacrifice your ability to use monetary policy to run your economy. The ECB will be in charge of interest rates and inflation control. This is an important tool to regulate the economy.

- It will handcuff your fiscal policsy. Eurozone nations are unable to run budget deficeits of greater than 5% in a year. During recession, as automatic stabilisers kick in (less tax is collected due to falling income, and more is spent to stimulate and pay for unemployment, etc), you may run close to this barrier. A tax cut may be impossible to pass...in a worst-case situation, you may have to raise taxes in a recession. This provision was insisted upon by Germany to keep the Italians and Greeks from running big deficeits each year...and perversely, Germany may have a HUGE problem with meeting it this year.

- It could even take away your ability to control taxes!!!!! France's economic minister has called for 'tax harmonization' across the eurozone, to take away any national advantages to attracting business. If a Govt cannot levy taxes, what power does it have?

- Finally, the UK's economy is much different than the continent. The UK trades with Europe much less than other European nations, and therefore being in the Eurozone is not as imperitive. The UK should be in a better position to made bilateral trade deals with other nations if it is outside the Eurozone.

It is clear that the Euro will not pass Labour's '5 tests'. It doesn't make economic sense. Labour is going to try to pull the wool over your eyes and sell you on politics. Are you going to listen?

24. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    NO we will never surrender!

For a non-british/euro you seem to know what you are talknig about!
    congrats on taking an interest on the world events!

True echo base he may hate euroland but what is wrong with that are we suppsoe to just bow to pressure from tony "spin" blair and his croonies.

25. Jumping Jedi Flash

Sep 21, 1999
    17 vs 6

In wanting to keep the pound!

Wheres you 5 tests now mr tory blair i mean tony ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.