main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Pound (£) Vs. The Euro (E)?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jumping Jedi Flash, Jan 2, 2002.

?

The Pound (£) Vs. The Euro (E)?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Keep The Pound?

73.9%
  2. Scrap The Pound?

26.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scion_of_Oblivion

Scion_of_Oblivion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    Hey all,

You guys get right in there don't ya! ;)

This is the best debate on the Euro that I have yet seen, although Tony 'Avoidance' Blair isn't exactly ramming it down our collective throats is he? :)

Anyway, I'm gonna vote 'No' for now. I think that if Europe were to remain as it is, it could be a go-er for us. However, Europe is about to get a damn sight bigger, and, on average, a damn sight poorer!

As the Eastern European economies merge with the West's, it's gonna be increasingly difficult to keep the Euro steady (and possibly the whole USoE masterplan). :(

I think we should wait quite a while for things to settle down. In fact, I wonder if we should wait until Russia is back on it's feet and then join when they do.

But hey, what do I know?

:D

2. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    But hey, what do I know?

just like all of us!

we pretend to know, but just follow our hearts!

I take your point on board europe is huge, just look at the eurovision song contest i mean soon it will have bleeding china involved it has gone that far east!

Not that that is a bad thing (all thou the euro song contest is bad) it brings together more people. And trying to make europe as big and powerful as america.

Also tony aint ramming it down our throats yet cause he knows he aint gonna win yet and we would all get sick to it to the back teeth if he started rallying us now, cause by the time he wants us to vote on it (1-2years in the future) we will be some pi55ed of with him we will vote no just to shut him up!

Thanks for the vote Scion_of_Oblivion

i guess that takes it to (18 Vs 6) 3 times more people want to keep the pound then want to scrap it!

3. Scion_of_Oblivion

Scion_of_Oblivion Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 22, 2002
    Cheers JJF,

Do you think we'll get to the point when there is "One World Currency"?

I can't see a problem with this, but I guess it would lead to "One World Government" - not so sure.

I think we could definately do without the "One World Religion" bit though, I'm not a follower of Bahai.

?[face_plain]

4. Jumping Jedi Flash

Jumping Jedi Flash Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 1999
    Well not sure on the world currency. like the sterling many years ago the dollar is now the world currency (excepted in most countries).

But i cant see it happending at the moment! if ever. Because companies can make huge profits from just taking products across the border. such as the xbox thread i have going. its the same product but costs loads more over here then japan etc.
    For example rice in india is dirty cheap while over here a friend who comes from pakistan says for a 1kg bag he can get over here he could probably buy 2 sacks back home.

Its when people compare prices that the currency problem starts.
    Plus people like me :) and others here dont want to give our history to some "government" that is not voted in by the average person. Its just decided on behind our backs and are so powerful etc that anything they do is the rule and there is no way of stopping them. (aka europe) and it would be even worse if it was a world government corruption would be even great cause the prizes would be greater etc.

5. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999
    Price transparency would be a really good thing for consumers.

Losing control of monetary policy could be viewed as an affront to sovereignty.

6. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
  7. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    As I said earlier, Europeans wish to Harmonize tax policy.

When Blair floats the Euro referendum, I'd be very scared. The idea doesn't make rational sense, and both sides seem to be concentrating on the emotional aspect. I don't get it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.