main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The power balance in the movies is off.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by OnesionRa, Jun 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OnesionRa

OnesionRa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2012
    In the original trilogy its more or less said that a Jedi (Light side) is needed to defeat a Sith (Dark Side) even though I dont think the word SITH itself appears in the original trilogy. Makes sense. A trained Jedi has a fair chance of beating a Sith and vice versa.

However in the prequels this went out the window. 4 Jedi couldn't take down ONE Sith. Seriously what the hell. Is palpatine supposed to be a god?!

Ok episode 5.- Luke and Vader are somewhat evenly matched with vader having more experience and brute force, still a good fight. Luke is semi trained.
    Episode 6- Luke has had another year of training and is MUCH more powerful. True most of it is self taught but he still made a hell of a lot of progress. At this point I think he is on level with a regular Jedi Knight from back in the day. He beats vader and actually seems to be the one in control of the fight.

But every time Palpatine steps on the scene virtually EVERY other force user regardless of affiliation looks like a child. Seriously, he took down 4 masters like they had 1/10th of the skill he did. I really think hes overpowered. ALL of the training Luke did ment absolutely NOTHING as soon as the lightning started flowing.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  2. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think Palpatine is a "god" but, in my opinion, the films always seemed to point towards the fact that the Dark Side wouldn't be defeated through brute force. After all, Anakin killed Palpatine not in an epic duel, but simply by grabbing him and throwing him over a railing -- at the cost of his own life.

I never saw it this way personally. In Episode 5, it always seemed to me that Vader was toying with Luke, testing out his potential and pleased with what he saw. When Luke got in that one, desperate hit, Vader got angry and quickly ended it. It really didn't seem to me that Luke had a chance in that fight and if Vader had wanted to, he could have easily slaughtered him.

In Episode 6, Luke is doing better, but I never actually saw him as out-and-out beating Vader. Vader seemed conflicted and I think, deep down, he didn't want to kill or hurt Luke and thus he held himself back a great deal. That's not to say that Luke hasn't vastly improved, but I think Vader was weighing himself down a lot through his ruminations. Luke was in control of the fight, yes, but I would argue that was largely due to his unwillingness to fight rather than his prowess in combat.

I always though Palpatine was meant to be about on Yoda's level. That's the impression I got from the films anyway.

3. SweetZombieJesus

SweetZombieJesus Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2013
    In Episode V Vader is toying with Luke. It doesn't even become a real fight until they are outside on the catwalk.

In Episode VI I do wish Like were able to at least put up resistance to Palpatines lightning instead of being completely helpless. Also I do buy the argument that Vader's power is diminished by his physical damage and Luke is still young and speed-trained. At that point Palpatines power is concealed, he's playing possum.

In the prequels he is super-powered and its because of how George builds the story; it happens over and over in Star Wars, the enemy has to be turned into complete ineffective idiots to make the winner look good by comparison.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  4. Sidious69

Sidious69 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2004
    Yoda is on same level as Sidious. They couldn't beat each other. That is why Yoda gave up at the end and went into exile.

ONLY The CHOSEN ONE has the power to defeat the Dark Lord.

That is why Palpatine has been trying to convert his only threat to his side.

And when Vader became mechanical his potential of defeating the Emperor went out the window.

Only the offsprings of The Chosen One has the potential of defeating the Dark Lord. Hence why Palpatine is worried about Luke.

In the original trilogy, the dark side has been shown as more powerful. Through Vader's words to Luke saying " you don't know the power of the dark side, I must obey my master." To Yoda's words to Luke saying, " do not underestimate the powers of the Emperor or suffer your father's fate you will."

While in the prequel trilogy, it is shown how truly powerful the dark side is.

Through The Dark Lord living among the Jedi without them knowing while his Sith Apprentices always taking on 2 Jedi Knights at a time all the way to the Dark Lord killing 3 Jedi Council Masters in seconds then obliterating Mace after finally turning Anakin.

But he is not a god. To say he is a god is to say Yoda is also a god.

If he is a god then he wouldn't need a clone army to counter the Jedi Order and obsessed In turning The Chosen One.

He is very powerful not even Yoda could defeat him BUT he can't beat all of the thousands of Jedi at once hence his manipulating in the shadows.

If he is overpowered then so is Yoda. Their duel in ROTS showed that they are the 2 top Force Users in the galaxy.

But if Anakin has reached his potential then he can beat them both.

Btw, Vader was just toying with Luke in TESB, they were no way on par with each other power wise.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    I think you are getting star wars and harry potter mixed up now mate

Sent via my astromech droid

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth_Pevra like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda does respond to Luke's "Is it stronger?" question with "No- quicker- easier, more seductive."

7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    It becomes more palatable if you think of the Jedi masters he killed as mooks or redshirts. It is what they were anyways.

8. Sidious69

May 19, 2004

9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Yoda's wrong, as GL explains in the AOTC DVD/Blu-Ray commentary.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Specifics?

11. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Pretty hard to work out who's stronger than who from the duels. There are too many extenuating circumstances. For me, the dark side is inherently weaker because the things which drive it ultimately bring about its downfall. At the end of the day, after millennia of Jedi dominance the Sith take control of the galaxy for a few years and are then destroyed. Ultimately they are a fragile regime.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    GL says, "The Dark Side is stronger".

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Might want a bit more context than that- what's the precise wording? Does he say outright "Yoda is wrong- he has Jedi bias" or what?

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    He says The Dark Side is the only way to become the most powerful Jedi ever.

Sidious69 likes this.
  15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Let's face it, George totally lost it by 1999. There's no way the dark side could possibly be stronger, because the light side won (through Vader). As far as pure brute strength, maybe the dark side's stronger (it provides access to lightning, choking, etc.), but when it comes to actually winning the war...well, the dark side hasn't ever won, except in Episode III. Maybe George meant the dark side was stronger at that point in time, but how does it make sense for him to say one thing in ESB (something we had no reason to disbelieve at the time) and the exact opposite at a later date? The simple answer? George is off his rocker. :cool:

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A character said something in ESB. Characters aren't omniscient.

17. Sidious69

May 19, 2004
    Lol true GL has lost it in the PT

After watching the PT along with the CT...without the duels and backing of the Classic Trilogy, the PT is pretty much a not that good movie making wise.

What was GL thinking when he made Jar Jar and the dumb kiddie voices of the droids and General Grievous?

And his "wanna please Samuel Jackson" attitude.

Anyways

Since the dark side is for power and offense while the light side is used for knowledge and defense then it's only natural that the dark side is stronger.

The duels alone from all movies has shown it.

The Sith are so power hungry that they have to be 2 at a time. There can only be one master at a time.

They also ruled the galaxy thousands of years before Sidious became the Emperor.

The only thing that stopped that Sith Empire were infighting within themselves hence to survive they installed the rule of 2.

18. OnesionRa

OnesionRa Jedi Youngling

Sep 2, 2012
    How strong is Luke at his peak? Like in the EU. I have heard he pulls off some insane stuff. I also have heard he fights palpatine (in an actual fight this time) and comes out on top.

19. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Aren't you taking this a bit too literally and not considering the level of skills each Force user might possess?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.