main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NSW The Powerhouse Museum thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The_Poison_Monkey, Apr 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Poison_Monkey

The_Poison_Monkey Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2001
    Well, I'm currently in my dad's office, having left earlier than some (and not having to go to work). :p

A brief overview:
    I got to Central at about 9:37, walked right past Caz until she started hollering my name. Slowly people started trickling in. First Shad, then Piggles, Tizza, Biggs, Shara and (lastly for once!) SLAVEY! :p
    Went in search of the wonderful wizard of Oz, but when we failed to find him, we went to the Powerhouse instead (Shad plotted us a nice course, even if he did keep getting ahead of us).
    Got to the museum, and realised Cassius had dropped off my chain. Took Slavey as my Finding Apprentice and charged off. Slavey found him in a gutter, so we're sending him to AA meetings.
    Got back to discover people had left us, and went in search for blood.....or failing that, meeting up with them. To our shock, we discovered more people (namely Lumpe, Scream, Jenna, Foxy, and Kate....i forget now, i'm tired).
    Waited in line to get in for a while, but they finally let us in.
    Lots of fun ensued, which I will let others tell.
    Wandered round the museum for a bit, then went and had lunch at Darling Harbour.
    Tizza decided to skip his lecture to stay with us, so that was cool.
    Went to Woolworths and got tennis balls, a frisbee, and a packet of Tim Tams.
    Farewelled Jenna as she headed home, and went to Hyde Park to play handball and eat Tim Tams.
    Played handball and ate Tim Tams in Hyde Park, (both balls went into the water. Lumpe had to go wading to get one) And then the hour struck 4. I had to leave, as did Biggs.

Here ends my tale. :)
    feel free to add and expand the tale, people.

2. Keith_Katarn

Keith_Katarn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    And if this Monkey ain't a modern day Mark Twain, then I'm not a marshmellow.

And you guys wonder why I haven't been to a meet yet....

Alcoholic Lemurs, Wadin' maidens - and I certainly don't wanna know what letting Cassius off the chain is a euphemism for !!!

3. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    After leaving the main group, I treated Kieca to a quick tour of Galaxy before heading back to the powerhouse museum to meet her Parental Unit.

Alas, I did not bring my axe again, and Caz survived the experience :(

She also made my give back Brutus :(

4. DarkSide_Apprentice

DarkSide_Apprentice Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2001
    It seems as though you all had a good time. :)

Did Slavey play hanball? AND Did you end up using the frisbee?

5. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
  6. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Handball and Frisbee both happened. Though I couldn't help feeling like a bit of hackey sack (despite not being able to play for didly squat).

Anyway, after Sam and Biggs made like trees and leafed we played Frisbee, got rather tired, sat around and talked, decided that it was about time for dinner, but first we went to Borders (Damn what a cool place! I'd never been in one before.) then Hobby Co and that toy shop (Playtime??) and finally made our way to Pizza Hut for some good ol' tucker, FanForce-style.

Then we went home.

Or at least I did.

And there was this really really freaky guy on my train. I mean, the Town Hall steps guy has nothing on the guy I saw.

He was wearing trousers that were far too short (or had been cut to be 3/4 length). He was wearing black shoes and white socks with flowers on them. We was wearing a colourful shirt (it was either pink or green) and a tie of the colour that the shirt wasn't (ie: either green or pink). He was wearing five realy chunky bracelets on his left arm that kinda stacked next to each other and a watch about halfway up his forearm. He was wearing something like 10 - 15 bracelets on his right arm and he was holding a kinda furry handbag sort of thing. It was pink and had at teddy bear face on it (iirc). He had a fairly receeded hairline, and big silver earings. He was muttering to himself almost constantly, and he had about 4 big garbage bags that he was carrying with him.

And the scary thing. He was still on the train when I got off at Gymea...

Edit - "wearinf"?? What was I thhinking?

7. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    It was fun until we reached Pizza Hut :mad:
    Your all going on my To-Kill list.

8. ROE_Biggs

ROE_Biggs Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 29, 2002

after a fun filled day in which Cassius was misbehaving, at one stage he was diplsying a hideous growth, well that was until we realised it was just Shara. went home, upon arrival at my hime i was whisked away to teh shoppping centre where i bought Rebel Dream and watched the Scorpion King.
    qwarning

*it is a proven fact that you will be dumber for having watched the Scorpion King*

The best part was when i "leafed" lol just kidding it was the personal Ka may ha may ha we got from Gohan

9. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    Oh yes, the personal Kamehameha was very cool :D

10. The_Scream_Man

The_Scream_Man Jedi Knight star 5

May 1, 2000
    From my POV;

Sara and I arrived late to central from her n D's place (where i crashed the night) but were still in time at the powerhouse. Luckily, Kate arrived after us, so we werent the last ones. also we ran in to Dax "Driley" Reilly of Skyforce fame inside.

Peter Mayhew was a cool guy, and was joined on her panel by Veronica Taylor (The voice of Ash Catchem in Pokemon, and Lina Inverse in Slayers) and some woman who's name eludes me, but is the voice of Gohan in Dragonball Z. All three panellists were cool.

After that we wandered the Powerhouse for awhile, and Matt broke a computer after teaching it to swear. We then lost Kate at some point (Thanx for saying goodbye Kate!:( ) and the rest of us went to Darling Harbour for lunch.

Here we lost Caz and Simon, who (we THOUGHT) went to go meet her dad! Turns out they went pretty much the same way we did, to Galaxy books! Why they couldnt have with us i just cant imagine.

The rest of us went to woolworths, got a couple of tennis balls, a crappy frisbee and some TimTams (We passed a TimTam shrine!) and headed outside. Here the lovely Linda and i walked to the busstop, where I waited with her awhile, then said goodbye to my love and headed for HANDBALL!

Can i just say I LOVE Handball? I have played it once or twice since school, and if it was up to me id play it competition. Professional handball! i arrived at the Hyde Park Fountain and the game was joined! Slavey, Matt Sam, Luke and Me played awhile, at one point joined by 2 people from another group sitting nearby. Shara and Carm played for 6 seconds, till the ball went in the water. Carm went in after it. Shes a braver man than me......so to speak.

This got boring shortly after Sam and Luke left, and so we moved to frisbee, where we learnt it didnt fly well, no matter how well it was thrown by any of us So we collapsed and just chatted till we decided it was cold n we were hungry.

So to...Borders boks we went. Fun was had there for a bit, then a quick check of Hobbyco and Playscene and we were off to Pizza Hutt.

As a quater past 7 came around, we left Pizza Hutt, and Shara Carmen and I said bye to Matt Slavey n piggles. Shara and I saw Carmen safely to a bus, then walked to Wynyard where we seperated as i ran for a bus!

A good meet indeed! And the pic we got as a group with Pete Mayhew HAS to go on the first page of the FF Website!

11. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Hey! I didn't teach it to swear.

That was Shara... I think. And Sam. Sam was definately involved in educating it.

I did try to h4x0r it, but it was a futile effort. They'd obviously set it up with people like me and Slavey in mind...

Edit - and FYI Craig, it's Ketchum, not Catchem ;)

12. Shadowfire

Shadowfire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 1998
    BAH! We went the other way as you took the short cut to the LONG way to Galaxy.

We were there for about 15 minutes, which means that you guys DAWDLED again. Honestly, I have never met a bunch of people who could walk slower than the speed of Moss growing.

13. sirowein

sirowein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 27, 2002
    I cry I weep i feel very much rejected. You say you came into my store (i.e. Borders) yet I don't remember being summoned. Oh well I guess I will still manage to meet any of you that happen along at Supanova which of course will be all of you :)

Ok now my POV
    I started work at seven this morning, doing normal sort of work stuff then at 9am headed over to the Powerhouse where at 9:30 i attended the press conference that took place before you guys saw the stars of Supanova. We had morning tea la la la I met most of them personally, and exchanged numerous trivialities and small talk, How long will you be in Australia? Would you like to come to my store and sign books? Did you really steal the heart of Elvis? you know pretty standard stuff.
    Anyway halfway through the press con I was called back to the store with some urgency so ended up shelling out $4 for the monorail :(
    Work continued unabated until early in the afternoon i felt a disturbance in the force. The 'FAN' force that is. It appears that that disturbance was none other than you guys deciding not to say hi as you wandered through my place of work :(
    Anyway left work at 7pm went to the VIP Launch at the Metro where I put in an appearence for about 21/2hrs hobnobbing and gorging on free food and drinks. Peter really stands out in a crowd and I met who I think was his wife and 'mother?'. Weird!
    Anyway I got to chatting with Mark Sexton, who did some storyboard work for Ep II with George Lucas. Turns out he goes to America May 20 something and may attend the Star Wars de-brief on the 19th of May. You reckon that is a good idea?
    Wow I feel long winded tonight.....

sorry everyone

14. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    We didnt GO to Galaxy, we went to Woolworhts, NEAR Galaxy

15. The_Poison_Monkey

Mar 6, 2001
    Yeah! Kill Shads for that one.

And Shads, we weren't walking slow. we were being SOCIABLE! :p

16. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    *waves hand*

I am NOT the one who told Mr Mayhew to post at the boards more. ;)

17. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    yeah, i've got some souvenirs from the trip. some of which include stains on the legs of my pants, which i can only assume were from my heroic saving of the $1 tennis ball.

at least, i really hope they're from that :p

18. slaveone_2

Jul 1, 2001
    ewwwww....
    Let the tourist do the dirty work :p

19. The_Scream_Man

May 1, 2000
    I forgot u worked there dude! Whats your real name, so we know to look for u next time?

20. Sai-Mera_Saa

Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2002
    Sounds like a day on Treasure Ship Row - no sarcasm intended.

Yet.

21. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    my review of the day...

so this morning i met at the bus stop around 9ish, and we headed down to sydney.

when we got to the powerhouse museum slavey and sam streaked by us in what looked like a violent frenzy of panic. enna and i went into the door that they'd streaked out of, only to find none other than Shara, Piggles, Syrix, Biggs, Shadowfire, and Kieca. turns out that cassius had been lost somewhere along the way, and that's where slavey and sam were headed. he was later found lying facedown in a gutter, and the hypothesis is that he was drunk. he will soon be headed to AA meetings.

we got in line and waited, and while we were in line Scream, Sara, and Kate. maybe someone else, i don't quite remember. the speech was pretty cool, it was peter mayhew and two voices, from pokémon and dragonball z. but peter was the coolest :D

after the speech we hung around and talked to him some, then we went around the museum, which i must say is quite cool. a group picture with peter was included as well.

we met for lunch, then we walked around some. went to wollworth's to get a tennis ball, and i saw the tim-tam alter. it was amazing, let me tell you. tim tams stacked as high as the eye could see. //sigh

jenna left, then we headed to hyde park to play handball and frisbee. they
    forced me to eat tim-tams. horrible, horrible people! the ball fell into the water... twice! and i had to go after it. i think that's because ffnsw-ers have an irrational fear of water. they all ran away crying like babies, and i was like, "dude! it's just water! get a grip!" no hans in this group, just a bunch of whiney, lukes ;)

sam and biggs left, so the remaining 6 of us played some frisbee (the actually frisbee kinda sucked, seeing as it was cheapo), then walked around some. then we sat around and talked some.

when we got hungry, we decided to go to borders. you know, the bookstore? just to be random. hey, what else would you expect from a bunch of star wars nerds? then we looked at toys (i, of course, being the mature person that i am, didn't even glance at the toys, and instead immersed myself into intellectual thought). shara asked the 8-ball if she'd marry hayden, and it said no. then she asked something which she wouldn't tell me, so if you're bored, harrass her to find out what she asked. then we went to pizza hut, where we got a buffet of... sushi. no, it was <i>pizza</i> hut, what do you THINK we got a buffet of?

then we went home.

all in all, a fun day.

but... if Ki asks (seeing as he said he'd hoped it wasn't that much fun, since he had to miss it)...

it was no fun because he wasn't there. granted i've only met him once, but i can tell that his not being there put a damper on the whole thing. all we did the whole time was talk about how much we wished he was there!

in fact, slavey asked peter "don't you wish that ki were here to hear you talk" and peter said "YOU MEAN KI ISN'T HERE?" and then he stormed out. it made for a short lecture, but we understood his dissapointment at the lack of ki.

and that was the day!

22. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    hmmm, I said bye to most of you, but I had this thing called work that I had to return to :p

Wish I could have spent time with you all, sounds like you had fun. I was back at work by 1, 2 minutes before my new boss walked in the door thank god :)

Perhaps next time... But weekdays are pretty bad for me, I'm just glad they let me out to go for the Peter bit :)

23. Ki-Bara-Mundi

Ki-Bara-Mundi Jedi Master star 6

Nov 27, 2000
    Aww you say the nicest things. :p

I wish I was there. But I had work, and it was my first shift, and I couldn't weasel out of it. :(

24. The_Poison_Monkey

Mar 6, 2001
    It's ok Lumpe, you can cry. Cry at Paul's meanness in not joining us. If Tizza can skip uni, Paul can skip work!

25. mauls-menace

mauls-menace Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Sounds like a good day was had by one and all. Fortunately I wasn't called into work as I predicted. Unfortunately I ended up spending the entire day preparing the "Nursery" for painting. :D

I can assure you of one thing I ain't missing the May 15/16 meet, it'd have to be something really serious for me to miss this one!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.