main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Prequel Trilogy's Greatest Lines and Line Readings

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cryogenic, May 1, 2017.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Just getting a new thread going in the PT forum for the first time in eons.

What do we think are some of the greatest lines and/or readings in the PT (and, if you fancy, why)?

Obviously, being a fairly staunch prequel fan, I feel there are a few fair selections I could make, but for now, I gotta hand it to...

"Oh, Anakin, my allegiance is to the Republic -- TO DEMOCRACY!!!"

So, I was just rewatching the start of the Mustafar duel, and I was yet again reminded how I love the cinematography of that moment and the intense authority with which Ewan McGregor hurls the latter part of that line at Anakin. One of the more intense moments in the film, I think, that punctuates the dark din of Mustafar really well and always gets my blood pumping. You also get some measure of the fury Obi-Wan is sitting on and sucking down; for one sharp, shrill moment, his composure breaks and he lets his incredulity "strike" at Anakin like a thunderbolt.

One could also interpret this sudden, stirring break in Obi-Wan's cool demeanour as Obi-Wan almost shouting at the heavens; or trying to shatter an invisible barrier between him and Anakin. It's like he really sees for a passing moment that he really is dealing with a dark, twisted fool; a friend, a brother, a student, a protege, a promise gone bad. And, in a sly nod to Palpatine, with full-flush vigour, shouting the words "The Republic will be reorganized into THE FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE!", Obi-Wan himself comes off (not for the first time) seeming a bit Emperor-ish in his disposition toward a pressing problem; detonating his own seismic charge and intensifying the heat between them.

I never fail to be gripped by this moment; or, indeed, any of the exchanges that immediately follow. With his impassioned indignation, Obi-Wan seems to light the touchpaper for the duel that is begging to erupt at this very instant. The words themselves point to untethered abstractions; and those abstractions have become weapons; just another set of throwing stars to hurt one another with or seal a particular doom. Democracy, Republic, Senate. What does it any longer matter? One feels the righteousness of Obi-Wan's anger and the awesome futility of it at the same time. But perhaps I have already said too much. Your turn.

MarcJordan, Padema, Alienware and 9 others like this.
  2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    "Do you like you're army?"
    "Your Clones are very impressive."
    "They'll do their job well."

I love the understated menace of the last line, the double meaning there. We get to see the 'job' in full in ROTS, and it fits in well with Jango's barely hidden disdain for Obi-Wan.

3. Kronin

Kronin Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2016
    [​IMG]

"Attachment is forbidden. Possession is forbidden. Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life, so you might say we're encouraged to love."

This is one of my favourite lines of the Prequel and the Saga: in these words of the main character Anakin is stored the definition of being a Jedi, the key for the resolution of the life of Anakin and overall of the work, altogether with one of the main messages that the story try to send to the audience.

It's more likely to find fans in love with the definition of the Force through the words of Obi-Wan and Yoda in the OT, but while they say things definitely evocative and meaningful, I'm always been equally fond of the words of compassion that come from Qui-Gon and Luke along the six movies, trying us to explain what in the end truly make a Jedi... a Jedi. And, as it may seems strange considering the character but not at all thinking that it's the protagonist of our saga, it's just to the young immature Anakin that is reserved the role to express the main part of it... and overall to learn it. This is definitely the personal "journey of the hero" that he is called to go through from the beginning to the end of his life, from the departure from his mother, to the protection of his son.

I don't think that Anakin uses these words just for impressing Padmé and looking for a way to enter in the "love" subject with the woman of his life; I'm pretty sure that he believes in what he says and seems genuinely show proudness to be part of an order that follows a such teaching, after all this is a solution to the same teaching that his mother left to him, about the main problem of the universe being the lack of empathy between people. In addition this is one of the very few times that we see Anakin proud to be a Jedi in the prequel after having become one of them; it says many things to consider how we see the little Anakin of TPM so enthusiastic to have the possibility to become one of them - and frustrated to be almost refused - but never the same when he achieves his wish.

But in this moment of his life is something that he that he doesn't really understand ("I'm a slow learner"). It will be only a quarter of century later that he will come to realize what these words really wanted mean. And I think that it's great to see what George Lucas do here and it's a shame that this is a moment generally so underrated from the fans, because in the aftermath owns a fundamental importance: it really talks to the audience saying them that in ROTJ they are effectively attending to a "return of a jedi" when he saves his son at the expense of his life. Not simply because a once time Jedi knight passed to the dark side returns to fight following the ideals of the good side of the Force or because he put an end to the Sith order; but rather because we see a person, the same one that so much years ago expressed it in a casual conversation on a cargo for Naboo, at the climax of a galactic and idelogical conflict to put in practice what it was said us to be the true meaning of being a Jedi.

Maybe it's just not a case that we see Anakin to talk with wisdom about the Jedi only in a scene where he is pretending to be someone else in disguise (to be just the "Anakin" in a timeline where he never left Tatooine with Qui-Gon?), not allowing to his robes or behavior to express his identity, but leaving that to the philosophy behind the concept that is in his mind. After all, with the exclusion of the removed mask, is not just when wearing the robes and the appearence of a mechanical Sith Lord at the end of ROTJ that we see him expose to us opposite of it, the idea of a being with human feelings and part of the Jedi order?

----------------------------------

Off Topic on a related side note, my most great regret with the Prequel is the deletion of the conversation between Yoda and Qui-Gon on Polis Massa that, in addition to giving us an explanation about the way for becoming a Jedi spirit and completing the contrast between the the two philosophies of immortality between the Jedi and Sith in ROTS, at the same time fueled the ending of ROTJ and the accomplishment of the main character of the story for the reasons said before.

Being a scene that needs of actors only for the voices and for the rest could be created through the help of the CG, I continue to hope that sooner or later someone will decide to add it....

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    "Dreams pass in time."
    "I'd rather dream of Padme."

A deceptively simple, quiet moment that for me has always been loaded with meaning. Anakin admits his suffering and hope and in return receives Obi-Wan's terse stoicism--noble in its own right perhaps, but not quite the fulfillment that Anakin needs. Before the PT all my favorite Star Wars moments were of the loud, action based or blatantly big emotion variety. The PT however, was loaded with these quiet, "realistic" exchanges that made me appreciate the saga from a different angle. A more grounded, adult angle you could say. Dreams pass in time is one of my favorite of these moments.

And aside from what the moment means to Anakin and Obi-Wan, personally, I also like it as a larger commentary on the trilogy as a whole. The PT often feels like a dream with its fantastic visual landscapes and ability to move from SF absurdity to aching melancholy in the span of moments. Never fails to amaze me how Lucas offered something that feels so unique, both within its series and the larger blockbuster mode of filmmaking as a whole. Star Wars as it could only ever be made in that ten year or so span. A bit of dream logic made real for a brief time.

oierem, MarcJordan, Cryogenic and 5 others like this.
  5. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    "We cannot stop the change, any more that we can stop the setting of the suns."

This turns out to be a very prophetic line. Anakin's big flaw is arguably that he doesn't want things to change. He seeks the order of the Empire with Sidious. He doesn't want Padme to die, so he seeks out ways to keep her as she is.

It's also illustrated perfectly in some scenes that have major ramifications for Anakin's destiny. First when he's travelling to save Shmi from the raiders in AOTC.

[​IMG]

As he races to save her, the suns set behind him a really well framed shot. It's notable that he only arrives at the Tusken camp at night, after the sunset.

Then in ROTS we have a similar setting moment, the ruminations.
    [​IMG]

As Anakin ponders his choices, the sun is slowly setting across the city. Once again, it's only once night has fallen that Anakin makes his portentous decision to rescue Palpatine.

Interestingly though, while Anakin plunges the galaxy into a the dark times, a metaphorical night, he still can't stop those suns from setting.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Very hard to answer here. Too much favorite lines but I decided to choose one of every movie that is rarely discussed in my opinion.

TPM: " I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die while you discuss this invasion in a committee". I do not think this Padme's line needs explanation, I would only say that it perfectly describes the political situation in the Republic at that point: endless and fruitless discussions that leads to nothing. Is not surprising that a politician like Palpatine could use such " opportunity" in his favor.

AOTC: here is even harder as is my favorite in the Saga, but let's try with this: “I should think that you Jedi would have more respect for the difference between knowledge and wisdom.” The irony is that an outsider to the Jedi Order and in fact to Coruscant and Republic world, Dexter, tells a very important true: a sentence that the Jedi should know even better than him. And yes, the difference between knowledge and wisdom is huge.

ROTS: "We're not going to worry about anything right now. This is a happy moment. The happiest moment of my life." I wanted to choose something light from the darker movie. What an irony that Anakin and I would say Padme feel their happiest moment just before the fall of their world?! Indeed the babies are the new hope.

7. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I liked the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise. [face_mischief]

Seriously though, I do like those lines, for reasons that have been mentioned many times before, but also because of what the whole scene says about the Sith and the Jedi and Palpatine and Anakin.

8. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017

George Lucas is notorious for his clunky dialogue, and neither has he ever pretended to be a brilliant screen writer*, and Ian McDiarmid has at least one clunky line here.
    "he could use the Force, to influence the Midi-Chlorians to create life."
    It's a testament to McDiarmid's abilities as an actor that he is able to deliver the line so well that the audience barely notices.

*To be clear, I have a lot of respect for Lucas for being honest about his imperfections as a film-maker.

darkspine10 Well spotted=D=

9. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    I could probably pick random lines from McDiarmid's dialogue in ROTS and there's a good chanced they'd rank among the best line delivery in the PT.

10. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    They’re rare, but there are a handful in there. This is the most obvious one:

Granted, I’m convinced that Ian McDiarmid could probably read the phone book and make it sound Shakespearean, but you get the point.

However, I’d like to point to a truly underrated scene:

It’s the only dialogue scene these two have where they actually interact naturally with each other. It’s the only scene throughout the entire trilogy where I actually buy their love story, and it’s the only time these two actually seem like real human beings. His reaction to the news is just brilliant. It’s how anybody would react in this situation- simultaneously fearful yet joyous, nervous yet excited, and he does a brilliant job conveying that in just a few seconds, and the way he immediately swallows that in order to assuage his wife's fears and to comfort her is actually one of the few moments where I actually see him as the good man that Obi-Wan Kenobi described in the original trilogy. I’ve always maintained that he’s a good actor, even if the writing and direction let him down more often than not.

And, that's all. You've been warned for bashing in here so many times.

Cryogenic likes this.
  11. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Maybe not greatest, but certainly curious...

Episode I
    [​IMG]

"I shall do what I must, Obi-Wan."

Simple, direct. Yet it also encapsulates the near entirety of Qui-Gon Jinn. Even now, some 18 years later, his character remains a bit of an anomaly. Yeah, sure, there's novelizations and other such EU backstory, but on screen (where it counts) the exact nature of Qui-Gon's free-thinking discrepancy with Jedi orthodox is never clearly defined. A finer point, it's the manner in which he delivers this line, shrugging, with cool comfort; neither apologetic nor flippant. The combination of his instinctual devotion to an unyielding river that is the "living Force" with an at-ease confidence in his own individualism is not unlike that of two separate spiritual roles played by Sean Connery: the perpetually amused, God-willing prophet, Raisuli, from The Wind and the Lion and the Franciscan friar, William of Baskerville, from The Name of the Rose, whose Aristotlelian proclivities peg him a radical in the eyes of the Church. So too does Qui-Gon nonchalant his way into the Star Wars myth -- unannounced, never referenced in the OT -- and gamble much of its outcome via no other factor than his own inspirations, only to then exit the cosmic stage prematurely.

Episode II
    [​IMG]

"Perhaps with merely your presence, the mysteries surrounding this threat will be revealed."

An instance of Padme's diplomatic skill, neutralizing a temperamental misstep in Jedi formality, at once cooling the air and saving face with an impartial segue. Add to that the peculiar retrofit of 19-yearold Portman's girlish voice with a regal stature that affords her character a kind of motherly authority over the moment: "Boys, that's enough." And then there's the content of the line itself, circular and possibly even self-aware to the fate inherent in all storytelling narratives. Such might even be the first of two lines in this movie from Padme laced with meta-irony, the other being her wake-up call to Anakin about "living in a real world".

Episode III
    [​IMG]

"Greetings, young Jedi. What brings you to our remote sanctuary?"

"Unfortunately, the war."

Is it just me or is Obi-Wan's response dryly sardonic? It's a statement of fact wielded figuratively like a badge or automatic search warrant, as if wartime positions the Jedi with an unquestionable jurisdiction over any world they deem fit. Granted, the intelligence upon which he is acting proves accurate and he does followup with a show of etiquette in asking permission to proceed further. I suppose, then, Ob-Wan is likewise simply commenting without insistence on the inevitable tide of destiny that brings him to Utapau's doorstep.

Bonus—unintentional triggered
    [​IMG]

"I think he is a she. And I think she's a changeling."

Whoa, whoa... holdup there, Anakin. The proper term is gender-fluid.
    "In that case, be extra careful."

12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    There's this, and then there's everything else.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not really. He's merely answering his question. What made him go to Utapau? The war. The search for the leader of the opposing faction. Unfortunately that's not the best (or ideal) reason to visit a planet, but it's the truth nonetheless.

14. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005

I love @Ingram_I's response, but I must chime in here myself (and issue a fuller response a little later). Technically, they also knew Obi-Wan was coming, as they had effectively summoned the Jedi/the Republic forces there. As Anakin says via hologram in the Jedi Council meeting being broadcast to Kashyyyk after the opera scene: "A partial message was intercepted in a diplomatic packet from the chairman of Utapau." So Tion Medon -- being watched over by Grievous' guards, don't forget -- was being coy and allusive with his words; and there's no reason to believe Obi-Wan wasn't acting likewise. Anyway, Ingram did acknowledge the intelligence that Obi-Wan is acting upon in his response; as well as deeming his remark, before digging into it a little more, a statement of fact.

So his response spotlights something crucial about dialogue in Star Wars (or at least the discursive realm of the PT). And that is, even when it reads plain (especially when isolated on a computer screen), or merely would appear (especially when isolated out of its chimerical movie-canvas environment) to be sign-posting some literal factual set of circumstances or realities, there is more to it than rote annotation. Obi-Wan's cordiality seems to be tinged with a wry awareness (as it often is in these movies) that, per Ingram's musings, he is "unfortunately" caught in a larger scheme, with a faint hint of mocking absurdist glee. "Damn wars ruining the potential for ruddy relaxing sight-seeing. I bet this place will soon be carved into a million pieces by the war machine, too. So uncivilized!"

Anyway, as ever, he struck a chord with me with that response. That exchange in ROTS is one I always derive a certain satisfaction from. Tion's next line seems to strongly imply a certain amount of double-speak is occurring when he responds to Obi-Wan with his own jibe: "There's no war here. Unless you've brought it with you." They are distracting those around with them with a sort of sham exchange; as if each is regretful at the ritual they have to go through and what is about to happen (Utapau will be "liberated", due to the combustible mixing of Obi-Wan's arrival and the Separatist's occupation of the planet, with an eruption of scarifying/desacralizing violence). Also, Tion's response could be considered a satire, of sorts, of how Anakin and Obi-Wan seem to literally bring the war with them in the film's opening shot; not to mention Obi-Wan combusting things all over again when he sneaks onto Padme's ship and confronts Anakin on Mustafar.

But, eh, oh, well... it's, ah... IT'S QUI-GON'S FAULT!

"Your focus determines your reality."

In fact, that is my all-time favourite prequel line.

It happens to have the virtue of being beautifully true; and it conveniently functions as in-series licence to run wild with conjecture and wild theorizing.

And I'd like to thank everyone else for their input, too. What is this new devilry? Solid, interesting responses to a thread I made? My powers must have doubled since the last time we all met.

jimkenobi, Kronin and HevyDevy like this.
  15. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    EPISODE I

"It's not about the mission, master. It's something elsewhere... elusive." :obiwan:

"Don't center on your anxieties, Obi-Wan. Keep your concentration here and now, where it belongs." :qui:

"I will not condone a course of action that will lead us to war." :amidala:

"They have Podracing on Malastare. Very fast, very dangerous." :qui:

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge." :redsaber:

"Wipe them out. All of them." :emperor:

"And you, young Skywalker. We will watch your career with great interest." :emperor:

"You-sa in big doo-doo dis time!"

Cryogenic likes this.
  16. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    Uh, yeah: that.

Get off my case, Alexrd! ...totally side-seat driving my thoughtful thread response.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Too much awesome for words.

Except those ones, I guess. And these.

*jumps out as well*

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    "You must embrace...a larger view of the Force."

"This party's over."

"You. Are under. Arrest. My lord."

"If so powerful you are...why leave?"

"Much to learn, you still have."

"It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force. But by our skills with a lightsaber."

"Wipe them out. All of them."

"I will make it legal."

"Excellent. Everything is going as planned."

"ONCE MORE THE SITH WILL RULE THE GALAXY. AND we shall have...peace."

"In order to ensure the continuing order and stability...the Republic...will be reorganized...into the FIRST! GALACTIC! EMPIRE! To promote a safe and secure...society!

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause."

"In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic...you're under arrest."

"I. AM. THE SENATE."

"It's treason, then."

"Commander Cody...the time has come. Execute. Order. 66."

"Master Windu! You have fought gallantly. Worthy of recognition in the archives of the Jedi Order. Now, it is finished. Surrender, and your lives will be spared."

"Master Windu. How pleasant of you to join us."

"I don't think so."

"Army or not...you must realize...YOU. ARE. DOOMED."

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge."

"Begun, the Clone War, has."

"Feel. Don't think. Use your instincts."

"Keep your mind on the here and now where it belongs."

"Good. Twice the pride, double the fall."

"Surely you can do better!"

"Viceroy! Your occupation here has ended!"

"I think you can kiss your trade franchise goodbye."

"Compassion, which I would define as unconditional love, is central to a Jedi's life. So you might say 'We are encouraged to love.'"

"No loose wire jokes."

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE! It was said that you would destroy the Sith not join them! Bring balance to the Force, not leave it in darkness!"

"You were my brother Anakin. I loved you!"

"Around the survivors, a perimeter create!"

"Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?"

OK I'll stop now before I type out all 3 movies.

19. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    "No loose wire jokes."
    "Wait how did this happen? We are smarter than this!"
    "General Grievous...you're shorter than I expected."
    "Good job"
    "I'm deeply sorry, master."
    "If you'll excuse me"
    "Don't lecture me, Obi Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi"
    "I should be there with him."
    "They don't trust you, Anakin."

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I shall do what I must, Ingram_I.

21. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

:p

22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Too many to mention. I will have to think on this.

But Cryogenic, I share your affinity for the line "Your focus determines your reality." It really sums up Anakin's entire arc, and like you say encourages a greyer view of the saga and life generally as well. Good catch.

23. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    "But which was destroyed.. the master or the apprentice?"-Mace Windu

Cryogenic likes this.
  24. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE

25. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009