main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Prequel Trilogy's Greatest Lines and Line Readings

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cryogenic, May 1, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Palpatine: "Execute order 66" one of the best lines in the movie, awesome and tragic at the same time.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Episode II
    [​IMG]
    "I'm a Jedi, I know I'm better than this."

Pretty much what I see as the lynchpin of the whole trilogy and Anakin's arc.

Question, though: From what I understand, and seem to remember, this line was cut for the theatrical release, and not included until the DVD release?

I seem to remember watching the DVD version for the first time and after he delivers that line, a chill went up my back and the entire world of SW and Anakin just opened up to a (another) whole new dimension for me. This really helped everything come together. Such a succint, yet perfectly effective way to illustrate Anakin's inner struggle.
    Conceivably the most underrated script of our time.

3. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Ep II is quite interesting when it comes to theatrical and DVD releases. If I remember, the entire garage scene wasn't even implemented in the theatrical version.

Amusing how Lucas wanted to go back and add a scene. This not only adds an extensive amount of depth to the story, but gives us a better perspective on both Padme and Anakin. I personally, cannot even imagine any of these scenes not existing. If it was never added, I probably would have started to make harsh criticism on Lucas not actually following up with Anakin's mentality, thus making AOTC something I wouldn't love as much(would still love it, just a lot more critical of it).

I know this is a thread for the positivity of AOTC(and it deserves it very so) but I must express the importance of this scene. It's so...majestically dreamy and surreal..

Deliveranze, Subtext Mining and Tonyg like this.
  4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm pretty sure it's only the "I'm a Jedi/To be angry is to be Human" bit that was only on dvd, the rest of the scene being present in the theatrical version.

Deliveranze and Subtext Mining like this.
  5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yep. The theatrical version of the scene ended with Anakin shouting "I hate them" and then sitting down to cry while Padmé put a hand on his shoulder.

6. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Oh yes, I definitely remember the garage scene in the theatre. That was the big startling revelation. A big stand out moment for me. Don't know why they left out the last bit, it ties everything together. (or was it shot after the theatrical release?)

7. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    "But, er, you might as well buy a new ship...it will be cheaper I think..." :cool:

"No pod is worth two slaves. Not by a long shot"

MJ

8. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

9. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Palpatine: If one is to understand the Great Mystery, one must study all it's aspects, not just the dogmatic, narrow view of the Jedi. If you wish to become a complete and wise leader you must embrace a larger view of the force.

I love McDiarmid's delivery here, and I love the term 'great mystery' for what happens after death. Very poetic, and I like the idea that Palpatine sees it is some kind of forbidden knowledge, instead of 'a natural part of life' as Yoda does. It's the Jedi who discover how to manifest themselves after death in the end, despite all Palpatine's claims of their narrow views.

10. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Palpatine all the way:

"Wipe them out. All of them." Deliciously evil.

"I will make it legal." Love the way he venomously spits the line.

"He will find your lost ship." The way his voice changes through that line is pretty damn creepy!

"It is with great reluctance that I have agreed to this calling. I love democracy. I love the republic. The power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated." Where's Karl Pilkington and Bull**** man?!

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy...and we shall have...peace." The intensity of the first part and the quiet, almost whispered second part makes him seem very unhinged. Even though we all know he's TOTALLY in control!

And of course the whole opera house story is genius.

MarcJordan likes this.
  11. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    "You turned her against me!"-Anakin
    "You have done that yourself."-Obi Wan

And I love the scene after that when Sidious arrogantly says "You will not stop me Master Yoda, Darth Vader will become more powerful than Either Of Us!" then draws his saber. Sidious and his raspy voice with that sadistic grin as he says the line. It's powerful.

12. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    "I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe".

I really like the way Temura Morrison delivers this line. Obi Wan knows that Jango is full of it, but Jango just bluffs his way through.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Darthman92 like this.
  13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Be careful what you wish for, Ani! :)

There's a certain dreamlike quality to the prequels, reminds me of Eyes Wide Shut, another masterpiece that goes underappreciated (except by the conspiracy theorists that is).

Alienware, MarcJordan and Deliveranze like this.
  14. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    "Hello Master Obi Wan"

I thought this was so cute. All these padawans seems to know Obi Wan immediately, despite being just a "visitor". They must have heard a lot about him, from Yoda himself!

MJ

15. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    “She has disappeared my lord....” - A seeming disadvantage to Sidious attempting to make Valorum look weak .

But lo and behold....

“This is where Chancellor Valorum’s strength will disappear,”

Did someone say disadvantage?

MJ

16. EntechednReformatted

EntechednReformatted Jedi Master star 2

Oct 17, 2009
    The line reading that always gets me is a quiet moment from ROTS ... Obi-Wan and Padme's scene:

Padme: "You're going to kill him, aren't you?"
    Obi-Wan: " ... He has become a very great threat."

That moment of hesitation there, from a Jedi who is never at a loss for words ... Padme's accusation just rips the heart out of him, because it's the last thing he wants to do, but he knows he's going to do it. I love Ewan's portrayal of Obi-Wan just barely keeping it together during that conversation.

Alienware and Subtext Mining like this.
  17. Skywalker Family

Skywalker Family Jedi Master star 3

Mar 15, 2017
    "The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural". That line hooked me from the ROTS trailer.

18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
  19. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Both the prequels and a lot of Stanley Kubrick's films seem to garner a strong cult following among niche groups that give the films much deeper thought and analysis than the general public that tend to brush them off as meaningless stylization.

I think what Kubrick said about filmmaking very well fits the prequels: "You're not trying to capture reality, you're trying to capture a photograph of reality."

EntechednReformatted likes this.
  20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    "Now, be brave, and don't look back. Don't look back."

MarcJordan and darkspine10 like this.
  21. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    One of biggest lies ever said in SW lore : "With great reluctance I agree to this calling. I love Democracy. I love the Republic. The Power you give me I will lay down when this crisis has abated"

MJ

22. Gembo

Gembo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2017
    The bit at the end of the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan where Obi-Wan says: "You were my brother Anakin, I loved you" has always got me. Ewan Mcregor is just so good and so is his delivery. As a kid, this line would always make me a bit emotional, and I personally think it's one of the best lines in the whole prequel trilogy.