main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The prequels are better

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Thegoaed, Sep 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Huh, still no lockage? Guess I'll address these points, then.
    Aesthetics doesn't make something better. Aesthetics are also a matter of opinion. Just because something it "pretty" doesn't make it any better. Just look at Battleship. Tons of pretty effects, terrible terrible movie.
    So are the prequels. They both have mistakes.
    It's meant to be a metaphor on how technological superiority cannot win against human ingenuity. Indeed, this seems to be something that Lucas himself has forgotten.
    I can do the same against the prequels. "Riffing" a movie doesn't do the movie justice. I can name about 100 stupid things about any movie.
    Newer also doesn't equate better.
    This is a fallacy. I grew up with the 1997 special editions and have never once seen any of the unedited versions. I still think that more general thought went into creating the OT than the PT. This is measurable in the time that went into pre-production.

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Huh, usually I have to defend my point when people say the PT is bad, but now it looks like I'm defending the OT for once.

Oh wait, technically there aren't two trilogies to compare. Just a saga ;)

3. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I know you're just trolling, but I have to address this particular line of bullcrap. While it seems ridiculously obvious to us here and now, back then not a single soul saw Darth Vader's "I am your father" line as coming. No one. It is widely regarded as one of the best plot twists in Hollywood history.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Who cares whether anyone on the Internet thinks the prequels are "better" or "worse"? Just watch the movies you enjoy.

darth ladnar and Seagoat like this.
  5. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Well, we can't have that now, can we? I'm way too insecure to not be offended by opinions that differ from my own.

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    1. no
    2. disagree, and very much to the contrary
    3. not supposed to be realistic. It's fantasy on the tallest order.
    4. I can name hundreds more about the prequels.
    5. Why?

No, I hope to like the upcoming ST because of nostalgia. I like the OT because they're damn good movies. Do you have any real substance to your arguments or are you simply a product of the oversaturated CGI-enhanced generation that has been weaned on the furunculous, putrid, abscessed, sac of bovine discharge that spews from multimedia where what was once the miracle achievement of cinema visual effect has been truncated to a 30-second spot seen regularly amongst any number of bombardment of stimulation during your weekly rerun of Glee. It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks! You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

CT-867-5309 and Sarge like this.
  7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm not a Prequel fan; I'm a Star Wars fan. Sorry, but I don't think this conversation should be taking place.

Darth Raiden and Seagoat like this.
  8. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I agree. Don't misunderstand, my last post wasn't an engagement to conversation. It's all in good fun until someone loses an eye.

9. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I love the politics and Palpatine's scheming. The PT is better in that regard.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  10. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    This is all completely false. :)

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    EVERYTHING Thegoaed said in his original post is completely true. If certain people don't want to accept it, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Are we seriously arguing about this? Mods should lock this abomination before it gets out of hand.

13. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Oh, boy, what's the big deal?

Saying "the prequels are better" is a completely silly position because it's stating the matter as an objective fact. It's like telling another person that that person must accept that chocolate has a better taste than vanilla.

On the other hand, saying "I think the prequels are better" is obviously justified because it's simply stating one person's personal opinion. This is like saying I like chocolate more than vanilla, which shouldn't bother anybody, but it also doesn't serve as a very good subject of conversation since a person can really only respond, "Yeah, I do too," or "No, I like vanilla more."

Either way, statements like these don't make for very good thread topics so there's really no reason for anybody to get a bee in his or her bonnet about it.

For whatever it's worth, I have 2 favorite SW films, and one comes from the OT and other comes from the PT.

All I know is that making one film that a lot of people like is tough, and as Christopher Nolan has pointed out, "How many great film series have a great 3rd installment?" For me, that list is small. Now, GL tried to make a 6 film series. Since making one popular film is difficult enough, it's pretty likely that if you make a 6 episode saga, then people are going to have varied opinions about which ones they like the most. There's nothing controversial about that. It's just common sense.

14. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    This thread is going to get way out of hand.

15. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I suspect that when someone says "the prequels are better," or "the original trilogy is better," writers and readers both know that a personal opinion is being stated. I mean, when someone makes a statement like that, they rarely intend to state someone else's opinion. :)

16. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    You are entitled to your own opinions. You are not, however, entitled to your own facts. I already demonstrated point #2 is factually inaccurate. I know it seems crazy here with 30+ years of hindsight but really... I'm not joking when I say no one saw "I am your father" coming. To this day, it is considered one of the best plot twists in Hollywood history.

17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Like lunchtime-recess without any Teachers supervising the playgrounds?:p

The prequels are better.

But, the Originals are the greatest film trilogy of all time.

Therefore; the whole SAGA rocks.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.