main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The prequels have changed the OT for ever but how...Is it good ...does it matter??

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Shurlok-Mo-Dicos, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shurlok-Mo-Dicos

Shurlok-Mo-Dicos Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    First an apology, if this thread becomes rambling then so be it, its not my intention but such is life.

I think GL had a hard task with the prequals not helped by as JW Rinzler puts it his shoot, edit, write, shoot, edit and so on style of film making.

To conceptually think that one could wirte a trilogy of prequals that would tie in to the events of the OT without actually having a firm story must have been mind boggling not only to GL himself but to the production itself and its myriad of creators...

Its amazing as we wait for the final digital screening at our local cinemas to appear how much we go back and look at the first 2 prequals and the OT and how many questions appear and reappear...

Im still slightly confused in time scale, we are kept clearly up to date in the prequals about how much time has passed, but how long are the events in ROTJ.. TESB..ANH and ATOTC seperated by.. It may be this one event which to me causes a problem..A long time scale with different Anakins in the first three films doesnt suit the use of the same actors in the OT(maybe its just me)..

I love the way however we do have some consistancy in art, cinematography and design in the PT (though the acting may have problems and some characters either ill concieved or pandaring to market forces) at least we have a consistant design look..Though please get the TPM DVD smartened up, how on earth did this get a THX rating from his own company when it has some of the most jarring edge enhancement faults ever(and this is on a calibrated system)..

Loosely film by film I am getting to like ATOC more and more..I think its a good bridge film that fleshes out the story though the last Gladiator style 20mins is perhaps slightly unwise..

TPM is just to long on Tatooine , a similar problem I think shared by ROTJ, Was Lucasfilm questioning itse market Viability at this opening point and trying to decide how to appeal to children?

ANH is better than I remember watching it recently and certain lines and elements now work well, the disolving of the senate and the mentioning of the emporer...Its just a pity some model work especially regarding the Death Star surface is a little ropy

ROTJ is worse than I remember apart from the final confrontation and scenes involving the emp. The whole Tatooine prologue is just to long and is not cut through enough.. As for the Ewoks, it just doesnt work, even as a primitive v technology anology. Perhaps the problem here is the director(who I realise is no longer around) but I hadnt realised that the union problem in the uk basically forced Lucas`s HAnd. But as a producer with final cut perhaps GL was also heading in a strange direction anyway.

Heres looking forward to the Digital Screenings at Filmworks Manchester...Lets hope the cinema does'nt **** the sound up this time......LOL

Strilo edit: Swear words must be completely starred out.

2. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    They're star wars films. As long as they don't outright suck...what's not to like?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.