main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The prequels in other languages

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Oberst Hans Landa, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    Hi everyone:

It is no secret that I am not exactly the biggest fan of the prequels. I do not hate them though, because I think that hating movies, books, albums or paintings is simply absurd. I guess you can dislike them, but that's it. Now, there's nothing new I can say about the prequels that hasn't already been said. They've been dissected, overanalyzed, praised and trashed. So I won't go even explain why I dislike them, because it's all been said before. However, I will say that my biggest complaint is the acting and the writing… at least in the English version.

I do not know how many of you speak a foreign language or if you've mastered your foreign languages to the point where you can actually understand movies and read books, but let me tell you something, the prequels in other languages are way better. And by that I mean the acting and the overall performances.

I usually do not like watching dubbed movies, if I can understand the original version that is, because there is something about watching dubbed movies that detracts from the original actors' portrayal of the characters in the movie. For instance, The Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite movies of all time. But I cannot stand it in German, Das Schweigen der Lämmer or in Spanish, El Silencio de los Corderos, because the voice actors that dubbed them failed to do justice to Hopkins' excellent and terrifying Hannibal Lecter.

In the case of the prequels though, I find that the voice actors actually improved the performances given by most of the actors you see in the prequels. For example, last night I was watching Episode II in German, Angriff der Klonkrieger, and let me tell you, I was not annoyed by Hayden Christensen. The translation is superb, so he says exactly what he says in English, but there's something about the voice actor's performance that does not make Anakin sound like a brat. And believe me when I say that Jar Jar Binks is not annoying either in La Amenaza Fantasma (Episode I in Spanish).

Does that happen to anyone else? That you find yourself actually enjoying the prequels a little bit more when you watch them in a foreign language? If you speak another language and you haven't watched the prequels in that language, I suggest you do. It may change your overall perception of the movies.

Just curious…

2. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Interesting topic. Spanish is my second language and I did watch the PT in Spanish on the DVDs when I was younger. I'm not even sure why I did that. I don't really do that with any other movie. haha. I can't really say it improved the experience. Only because the voice overs were a bit....not fitting to the actors. haha. :p But interesting topic. I actually never really contemplated the idea of watching a movie in a different language to experience it in a new way - rather than just doing so because it happens to be your first language.

3. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I only know the English and German versions.
    I have to say I prefer some characters in German (Qui-Gon, Leia, OT Yoda, maybe Padmé), but most of them in English (especially Obi-Wan).

I'm quite surprised you liked German Anakin better because he has a very boyish, almost soft voice and that seemd like a common complaint about Hayden Christensen. In case someone else is interested: 0:02 - 0:22 seconds is Anakin's German voice. You must imagine the voice to be ten years younger (2012 - 2002)!

There is an advantege with foreign languages, though, that characters are mostly voiced by the same actors across different media (The Clone Wars, for example).

I've always heard of high praise for the Spanish versions.

4. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Samnz:

Yeah, but what I like about the German version is that Anakin does not sound like a brat. Or maybe he does, but I don't notice it, because German is my third language [face_laugh] and I do not always pick up every single nuance.

Samnz likes this.
  5. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    As I have noted on more than one occasion, there are certain parts to the Prequels that I prefer in Spanish... like every scene with Darth Sidious. Something about the Sith not speaking Basic English makes those scenes feel more... sinister. My favorite voice-over in all the saga occurs when Vader asks about his wife:
    Darth Sidous: "¿Lord Vader? ¿Puede escucharme?"
    Darth Vader: "Si Maestro. ¿Donde está Padmé? ¿Está a salvo? ¿Está bién?"
    Darth Sidious: "Al parecer en tu ira, tú... la mataste."
    Darth Vader: "Yo... Yo no pude... ¡Estaba viva! ¡La sentí!"
    I'm not saying the films are better when dubbed, but there are instances I would have preferred a different language onscreen.

6. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    What do you mean basic English?

7. May_The_Force_Be_With_You

May_The_Force_Be_With_You Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2014
    Really? I didn't know that, but that's pretty cool. I will say that one aspect I like about it in Spanish? The corny, overly-poetic dialogue is a bit more fitting. The scene where Anakin is venting his feelings towards Padme? The infamous "I wish...I could just wish my feelings away." scene? Yeah - that sounded better to me in Spanish. Mainly because some aspects of the Spanish language still has that more poetic and less...slang way of talking. What sounds "corny" in English can be romantic in Spanish. (IMO)

8. Maul95

Maul95 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 6, 2013
    Jar Jar's spanish voice sounds more high-pitched and less annoying than in the original version; TPM Anakin and the AOTC romance (the only part I didn't really like from that film) also sound better. As a spaniard myself, I still liked the prequels in english as much as in my own language, but I agree that the dubbing did some minor fixes like the ones I mentioned.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  9. Oberst Hans Landa

Feb 12, 2014
    Did you guys know that in South America R2D2 is actually referred to as Arturito (little Arthur)? This is because in the Spanish version of the Original Trilogy that was released in South America, R2D2's name was not pronounced in Spanish but actually left in English. In Spanish it should be [erre dos de dos], which is by way what he is called in Spain. But in South America, for some odd reason the translators thought it sounded better in English [ar tu di tu] and in Spanish ar tu di tu sounds a lot like Arturito, especially when you say it fast and over and over again. For years I thought Arturito was his real name, until I learned English and realized it was actually R2D2. [face_laugh]

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    If there is anything I hate (and I do mean hate) on the entertainment industry are dubbed live action movies or TV series. I really can't stand it, and I'm lucky enough to live on a country where it rarely happens. I either watch it on the original language with subtitles (if necessary) or I don't watch it at all.