main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Prequels Strike Back: A Fan's Journey Documentary

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by X Wing, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2K-D2

2K-D2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 4, 2016
    Hmm - not too bad, but not great either.

I hope this isn't really the extent or focus - a false dichotomy to end all dichotomies, what is a "pre-method" style anyway? Does non-method acting result in woodenness?

What there is a deliberate preference towrds, is posh prose - if the delivery is bad, it comes off as "wooden", most of the time it doesn't.
    HC sometimes looks like he's either a wooden actor, or his character is repressed.

So they're gonna discuss whether wooden line deliveries are deliberate pre-method style? kk

The answer to questions 1 and 3: children appeal.

The answer to question 2: the "obscure" debate never happens on screen; what happens on screen is a "debate" about wars and invasions.
    The senate was there because the movie was going for a posh/glamorous tone with monks, queens and politicians - a SF version of fantasy "court scenes" and similar.
    Trade taxes were supposed to be a "mundane" political reason for the villains to start acting up - with the strong implication that this was just a pretense for something more ambitious.

So, I guess the correct version of the question would be, "what do greedy power hungry villains planning conspiracies with evil wizards have to do with anything? it's a movie about fighting villains and plotting, after all".

Anyway, so apparently, "while the fans were asking these questions, which grew into a h8 dogma", the "academics" have been working on their petal marvelling and ring theories?

Why is it "trade taxes are stupid lol" on the one hand, and "academics" on the other?
    At least one of those "questions" has a simple, mundane answer that merely requires familiarity with a couple fantasy movies and not making stuff up about the movie.

So, maybe the doc's gonna be better than this description suggests - there's certainly gonna be some meat in there, valuable material, to get something out from.
    But the premise, and defensive attitude, are kind of rubbing me the wrong way.

2. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Removed.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  3. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    This is exciting! One thing that has stuck with is that Ahmed Best has always held that he has met more fans of Jar Jar than non-fans. So I've always assumed the majority of people like the prequels, but the loudest fans are the ones who don't like them. I hope this documentary address that.

4. X Wing

X Wing Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2016
    I am looking forward to the documentary as well.

Ezon Pin and Kenobi1138 like this.
  5. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Ezon Pin and xezene like this.
  6. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Ezon Pin likes this.
  7. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Tonyg and Ezon Pin like this.
  8. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    The best chance at changing "public perception", as this doc is setting out to do, would be for a charismatic "neutral", with maybe some established track record (though not required if *really* charismatic) to make a lengthy video refutation of the RLM reviews - making use of competent video editing etc. to make at least moderately humorous contradiction juxtappositions, and aiming for an "average" (can go in either direction from there, but not too far) and "uneven" verdict for the movies.

Best tone of voice would probably be a dry sarcstic one, I'm thinking InternetAristocrat on Spax (a bad game reviewer) - but generally, what matters would be a relaxed attitude and no hint of anything "defensive".

DON'T title it "defense".

This might get some traction or not, but people are already predisposed against the Ring Theory (which seems to be a major talking point here), Camille Paglia has made her rounds as a "contrarian fringe academic" or something, and those, along with the defensive attitude of the creators, aren't likely to win many people over.

HaBut that's what this project is apparently - I just doubt it'll have any impact.

9. X Wing

X Wing Jedi Master star 1

Feb 20, 2016
    ---Bradley Weatherholt, director of the soon-to-be-released documentary The Prequels Strike Back: A Fan’s Journey

Ezon Pin likes this.
  10. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    Um, I think the general narrative among h8rs is that "I got hyped, but after a while I realize I was wrong"? Or, like, "hated JJ right away, but thought the rest was good, only realized later"? Ah whatever

11. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

Could you be more explicit in your posts?

12. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    It was an off-hand comment, I'd just always had the impression that "h8ers" never said everyone panned the movie from the start, but that people (incl. themselves) were deluded by the hype, and only realized how horrible after some time had passed, or when 2 came out, etc.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    People are already hammering the documentary in the JC Community Star Wars thread, I see.

14. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

Where is that?

Funny how some people are already refuting the documentary while it hasn't been out and seen by anybody yet...

The funding for this documentary (even if it was not enough at the end for its final production) has been very successful, surpassing expectations of the crew behind its making. It shows that a lot of people support the idea of a pro-PT, or a more positive documentary regarding the PT, than popular belief would make you believe.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Immediately after Fan Fiction & Fan Activities is JC Community - Star Wars thread is stickied at the top.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Little unsporting to try and brigade that thread, don't you think? I could start hammering here but my beef isn't with PT fans or even necessarily the documentary proper so much as with a linked article in that thread, so it seems wildly out of place.

17. 2K-D2

Aug 4, 2016
    I don't doubt the success of its funding - only the reach of its arguments ;)

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I am locking this thread, for now.

When and if we get new information and/or a release, the thread will be unlocked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.