main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The Prequels Strike Back: A Star Wars Documentary

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by mes520, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Fon Davis gave $50.

That is AWESOME!

2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Never heard of him before, but thanks for posting. It's a very interesting interview and Davis seems like a cool guy.

Cryogenic, mes520 and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  3. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    True, but it might not be well known for the uneducated.

My mother happened to be browsing Netflix a few months ago and saw "The People vs George Lucas", and came out of it extremely confused. She was bewildered that fans acted that way toward the film alterations and the prequels. Would've been nice to have something like this to easily show here not everyone in the fandom is a complete asshat.

4. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yeah, my family saw TPvGL title on Netflix after I watched it, I tried explaining this to them. I don't think they believed me. Also when I wanted to donate this documentary and trying to explain to my mom, she was like, "They're just movies." *sighs* They have no idea. If only every fan had this perspective.

5. sonnyleesmith

sonnyleesmith Jedi Master star 2

Apr 29, 2014
    Just because we don't like them doesn't make us asshats. A small percentage of PT hater do, but so does a small percentage of PT defenders. It's not a contest to see who has the best argument. It's not a court case. It's opinions made by a very passionate fan base.

6. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015

There's a difference between real facts and opinions, perceptions, etc...

The real fact is that practical effects, models and animatronics for aliens and monsters were more used in the making of the prequels than CGI since CGI back on that time was more expensive to use and took a lot more of time than building models as George Lucas mentioned at the very beginning of this video :

The problem is that opinions have become facts on the internet since it has become popular to mock the prequels, and the reality is being distorted.

7. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    The perception that's people mock the prequels because it's trendy is just laughable. They've divided the fanbase since they came out. People just have more of a platform now to voice their dislike. The fact they're even making this documentary is evidence that the films aren't received well.

Powerful Lord likes this.
  8. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Star Wars has always been controversial. When ANH came out, many critics didn't like it. Three years later, many didn't ESB, it's darker tone, and cliffhanger ending. Finally, many didn't like the ROTJ and the Ewoks.

Presently, the ST hasn't even come out yet and there's already controversy, the crossguard lightsaber for example.

Prisic Duskleap and Andy Wylde like this.
  9. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014

Did I ever say prequel haters in my post? I said those who act like the ones in the documentary I mentioned. Please read before making a response.

Yes they are opinions. My issue is when they toddy their opinions around as if they were fact, and then berate those who think otherwise. While a minority, they are unfortunately a vocal majority, and you usually hear more than enough from them on any Star Wars related media on the internet.

10. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The same logic can be used about the fact that more than 10 000 videos mocking them and bashing George Lucas for more than a decade tells a lot about the people who cannot move on like adults.

I'm still repeating this again and again, and I will repeat this again: I have no problem if people don't like these movies. But somewhere the hate has to stop. There's no need to slender these movies and George Lucas.

What will it bring us?

It has only made us more miserable, more cynical and more bitter.

And despite all the bad stuff that everyone can say, the prequels didn't stop a new generation of fans to be immersed in the saga, it didn't stop some new and good Star Wars content (like The Clone Wars series and Rebels) to be produced and people to embrace it, it didn't stop a new trilogy to be currently produced, and it didn't even stop the movies to be re-released on Blu-Ray, and more recently, in the digital collection.

11. sonnyleesmith

Apr 29, 2014
    Good for the new generation. I'm glad people enjoy them, but I'm also equally glad people voice their displeasure with them. It's what makes fandom, fandom. You just happen not to agree with their opinion so it stings a little more. There are countless videos I'm sure about how the Transformers movies are terrible, but they don't ruffle the feathers of people who either agree or don't care. It's the same if someone rails on something I like or am passionate about I'm emotionally invested in it and I'll react emotionally. It's not right or wrong, it just is.

Trolling is a different subject, I'll agree that has to stop, as it preys on the emotional investment of others, but opinions are different.

Powerful Lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Not it just means that for those sad fans that they can even accept them as reality.

The audience acceptance is pure fact evidenced by them being in the top percentile of most successful movies EVER. You know the same audience that did the same with the other movies and will do so for the new movies more than likely?

If they don't like them that is fine with me but the ridiculous lengths they go to try and pretend that EVERYONE hates and despises them just like they do is just downright bizarre it now being 10-16 years since the first one came out!

Even more they can't stand even stand to have any real talk about them because they are so concerned with making things up and presenting them as "fact" and using the old "received wisdom" mind trick on themselves.

On a public fan level look at Kristian Harloff. He has various pod platforms he talks about the movies on and his actual knowledge of the movies the prequels in particular but even the OT is weak to say the the least in so many areas.

I listen to him occasionally just for fun to see what he gets wrong. He does constantly.

Recently he actually seems to believe that TPM had one draft and that unlike the old days Lucas NEVER talks to anyone. Except of course he's totally wrong and there were many drafts (as many as 5) and Lucas always talks to Spielberg and Coppola about his movies. You know the guys who actually liked Star Wars unlike most of his other friends.

As I have said many times many of those fans seem to be carbon frozen in 1980. The most extreme certainly don't care much for ROTJ either. Why they think they will love the new movies the same way as the first two or even like them I'm not sure.

I really find it funny that they don't even realize that they are Anakin and can't let go!

Is their hatred for Anakin self-hate and they don't realize it?

Well it's too bad for them but personally I find it ultimately all rather funny.

I mean the easiest one to point to is the actual success of the movies and of course the practical effects which send them into fits and of course now with the new era starting they are desperately trying to pretend the prequels have been set to the side no matter the reality of what is really happening.

Not at all.

The despisers have succeeded very well in creating their false story that virtually all fans hate the movies and so the default for the lazy entertainment reporters is to feed into that.

Over time and more recently I've noticed that as we get closer and closer to new movies coming out that there has been some pushback on this and this might be something that the producers have picked up on hence doing the movie in the first place.

It tooks many years for TESB to gain the place that it has now.

13. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    Yeah, I don't see this film being made before the end of the year. Sorry :cool:

14. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

It is a little ironic that they've co-opted the title of the fanboy favourite -- from the original trilogy.

On the other hand...

Are you sure it's not a war? Rebels vs. Empire 'n' all that jazz?

The sad truth is, the prequels have been slandered a lot online, a lot.

The title implies, quite rightly, that it's time for the prequels to fight back, after suffering a cavalcade of relentless, reactionary attack.

You can chalk individual responses up to mere "difference of opinion", but the broader opposition to them online demands a hearty polemic.

I hope this documentary provides one.

15. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    The slandering towards the prequels and also George Lucas has gone very far. People now attack each others. For example some keep saying to me that I have no taste and that I have no brain. It has now become personal attacks towards others who have different opinions, and that is another proof of anti-intellectualism: instead of discussing, it's attacks and mockery.

16. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I do hope this video gets made. But seeing how things have been over the years with all the hate and trashing of the PT, it just seems like it may be a futile effort in the end. Because when PT haters are presented with something that shows the PT in a positive light they just stick their fingers in the ears and go lalalalla I can't hear you. But I know I would enjoy this video.

It is a shame that JJ and KK are feeding into all this propaganda about the new films and how they are using all these techniques that were "absent" from the PT. It would be nice if JJ and KK would step up to the plate and set the record straight. By educating people about how the films will really be made instead of feeding this false narrative that people keep aping on. I mean sometimes I just don't get some of the truly vile hatred the PT gets. I understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea. That is fine. Sometimes it just seems like the hatred spewed over these films are just people bashing for the sake of it.

17. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Yep. That frequently happens online.

So far, I think The History's Channel's "The Legacy Revealed" is the best documentary feature on the prequels, so that would be the bar this project needs to get over. I hope, if it's going to be made, it doesn't end up being too similar to that, however. It needs to be its own thing.

I don't know -- whatever form it takes -- if a prequel-positive documentary will significantly alter hearts and minds, but I'll still appreciate the effort. I don't think "The Legacy Revealed" really grabbed a whole lot of people who didn't want to be grabbed; particularly with all the cynicism out there. I'm glad it exists, however.

I agree with you. Some of the bashing seems to be because people have nothing better to do. I said, some years back, that prequel-bashing had kind of become a national pastime online. You do it to do it.

There's a point at which, it's definitely less about the films, and more about the people doing it, and social structures and timing more generally. The release of the prequel trilogy scaled perfectly with the rise of the Internet. A little too perfectly.

18. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I agree with you on the "you do it to do it" That seems to be the attitude held by most. At least the way I see it. I personally don't think that anything will change the majority of ill will towards the PT as far as documentaries go. It may give some folks some needed insight on the subject, but it has become so ingrained in pop culture to bash it that maybe in time I can some turning to appreciate them more. I hope anyway. [face_dunno]

19. mes520

Nov 3, 2012
    Just a reminder, there's only about 9 hours left to donate. It's up to $11,545 :)

Cryogenic likes this.
  20. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Prequels came out ten years ago just move on accept most people didn't like them and tell yourself your a bigger SW fans for liking them or whatever…( I liked the prequels)

I just don't understand the need to defend them they are what they are. People have the right to scream and shout how much thy hate them this is America with Internet.

sonnyleesmith likes this.
  21. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Cryogenic and mes520 like this.
  22. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    And some people (as I) do not understand the need to scream more against these movies 10-15 years after they came out...

23. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    I beg to differ, the word 'most' implies more than 50% of people. I don't believe that to be true.

Anyway, I don't think this documentary will be a defense, more like a pledge to take another look at the prequels without any prejudice. I think it's a refreshing concept.. You said it yourself, if people have the right to scream about the negatives, then they also have the right to scream about the positives.

24. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    In all honesty the hate and love for the prequels doesn't have to be justified to anyone I like the prequels but I don't have to explain myself to anybody the reason why I like them.

25. Alienware

Apr 19, 2013
    Of course it doesn't have to be justified either way. But I personally watch and read reviews to see if I've missed anything interesting and to learn about other points of view. I've even watched all of RLM's reviews and managed to find some interesting thoughts and points.

That's why I'm excited about this documentary, it'll be a chance to (hopefully) learn something new. But if you're not interested, then you don't have to watch it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.