main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Pretentious Title--D6 Post RPG

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Koohii, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    It has been nearly 20 years since Supreme Chancelor Palpatine exposed the Jedi plot to subvert the Republic, survived their assassination attemp, and was elected Emperor of the Galactic Republic.
    His appointment rapidly lead to the end of the Separatist war, which ferrocreted his authority, popularity, and acceptance. The sudden appearance of Darth Vader as his "Most trusted assistant" and the authority bequethed unto him cause little more than a minor stir. That Vader's prime duty would be the eradication of the trecherous Jedi Order eased many nervous flutters.
    Some of the older folk still remember when the Jedi were regarded with awe & reverence, and were considered a force for good, but they don't talk about that much. Some aren't too sure of their memmories. Others wonder if it wasn't all just a part of the Jedi plot. Neither group is interested in talking about these memmories. It's too dangerous. For the most part, the whole "Force" thing is regarded as part of the Jedi Con Job.

With the collapse of the separatists, there was no organized resistance to the Emperor's policies. But as time went on, many senators began to have their doubts. Some began to talk to each other, and use their resources to either directly resist, or subtly manipulate the police, to soften the edges. In the public, many young and not-so-young idealists have held demonstrations demanding that the Emperor stand down, or that liberties enjoyed under the Republic be restored. Some have turned violent. These were met with military force. Conscription of Academy pilots to fill ranks in the Imperial Space Navy began.
    Governors have been assigned quotas to fill for enlisting Stormtrooper and ground-force personnel, as the Cloning facilities on Camino are no longer adequete to meet the Empire's growing need. How the governors fill that quota is up to them. Some use propaganda and recruiting. Others use press gangs, involuntary conscription, and less savory means. That only Humans seem to be subject to these drafts has prevented class warfare. Of course, only Humans are good enough for the Empire's service...

A purge has begun on "treasonous thought". Special bureaus have been created to "reform" traitors and council those who might be having treasonous thoughts. And if you don't realize you are a traitor, fear not: one of your neighbors or family can call a special "Dail-a-Snitch" hotline.

No one is sure exactly when militant resistance to the Empire began. Maybe because it lacked coordination in the beginning, and some attacks might have been mistaken for simple piracy. But resistance has been growing. Non-millitary political groups have begun to support these rebels. Even some senators... unofficially... just as unofficially they have begun funding, organizing, communicating, and recruiting...

Now accepting character ideas. Please PM. Yes, you can play Jedi, though remember how the Galaxy currently vies them.
    Next post will contain rules summaries, house rules, and more on character creation for those without a copy of D6 rules (or otherwise unfamiliar with them.
    Notes on characters: D6 does not have classes or levels. You gain skill points as you adventure and spend them to improve skills. Anyone can to anything--but some are better at some things than others. You do not have to start as a jedi to play a jedi--you can learn later. D6 does have templates. Templates act as rough frameworks for a character, and assign attributes and starting equipment, but can be modified and in no way limit character development. You do not NEED to use a template--it's simply a faster way of getting started. The core rule book has about 18 templates, and suppliments have about 60 scattered throughout. There are about 6 different jedi, 6 bounty hunters, gamblers, pilots, technicians, explorers, pirates, smugglers, kids, young senators, old senators, nobles, retired imperials, droids, and many, many more. PM me with what you want to play.
    First 6 applicants win places in the game.
    Please only apply if you can read & p

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I'm in.

In terms of character creation, can I be a Noghri Jedi? </munchkin>

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    :eek: My god, they're here already! MUNCHKIN ALERT!

E_S

4. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    OK, now I'm ticked off:
    I just typed up a huge post about rules with a nice long example, and for some reason, it didn't post!:mad:

5. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yes, you CAN play a Noghri Jedi. If you really want to...

I'm not going to retype the whole post, but here are some of the highlights. Hopefully this will explain matters a bit.
    I use a hybrid of 1st and 2nd edition rules, based on what I like from each one and what is easier for ME.

The system itself is very simple.
    Characters:
    All characters are created equal: there is no worrying about bad rolls during character creation giving you wussy stats, back hit points, or not enough starting cash.
    Attributes:
    All characters have 18d divided among 6 attibutes. a D can be broken into 3 pips (either 3 +1s or a +1 and a +2). Human minimum is 2d, max is 4d. Aliens have different min/max depending on species. Characters starting with Force Powers use one of these 18 for each of the Force Attribues they take (Control, Sense, Alter) Starting characters then have 11D to add to individual skills. No more than 2D can be added to a single skill. (Darwinism note: add 2d to Dodge right away). You can use these dice to add to Force Powers once the first d has been bought with attribute dice.
    The Attibutes are: Dexterity(most character-scale combat skills: Blaster, Dodge, Brawling Parry, Grenade, Heavy Weapons, Melee Weapon, Melee Parry, Lightsaber, etc), Knowledge(everything you know about Science, Planets, Languages, Aliens, Cultures, Intimidation, Willpower, Technology, Streetwise(criminal stuff), and so on), Mechanical(all piloting skills: Starfighter Piloting, Capital Ship Piloting, Astrogation, Gunnery, Shields, Communications, Repulsor-lift Operation, Beast riding, etc), Perception (all interpersonal skills: Coniving (lying), Command, Gambling, Seach, Investigation, Tailing/tracking), Strength (pretty obvious, Skills are Lifting, Climp/Jumping, Stamina. Also used to resist damage) and Technical (repair skills: First Aid, Blaster Build/Repair, Droid Program/Repair, Starship repair, Computer Program/Repair, Lightsaber Build/Repair...)

Templates:
    There are 182 Templates (that I know of) scattered through the various books. Templates are guidelines for building your character and what equipment you start with. Examples are Gambler, Smuggler, Scout, Mercenary, Bounty Hunter, Jedi Knight, Young Jedi, Failed Jedi, Quixotic Jedi (always fun), Ewok Warrior, Wookie First Mate, Alien Student of the Force, Old Senator, Young Senator, Mon Calimari Courier, Retired Imperial Officer, Pirate, Con Artist, Pacifist, Noble-in-exile, Loyal Retainer, Protocol Droid, Computer Slicer and Debutante.

Classes and Levels:
    There are none. The closes thing to a class is the template your character may or may not start with. As you adventure, you gain Skill Points, which you may spend to improve your character's skills.

Skills:
    Starting characters then have 11D to add to individual skills.
    Any time you want to do something, you roll the skill. If you haven't spent dice on the skill, you roll the base attribute associated with that skill (Computer Programming is Technical skill, Brawling is Strength, speaking an alien language is Knowledge, Bluffing the bureaucrat is Perception, driving the speederbike is Mechanical, etc). Thus, it is possible for any character to do anything. Just some are better suited to the task than others.
    Skill Points:
    Every character starts with 5 skill points. You can either invest them to improve skill right away, or save them. To improve a skill costs whatever the die code is. A 3d+1 blaster would cost 3 points to raise to 3d+2, and another 3 points to raise to 4d. You can also use skill points to save your backside. If you think you've rolled really poorly, you can burn up to 2 skill points to add to your total. They have the recurring 6 property of the wild die without the 1 disaster. If rolling to add to your strength to resist damage, you can spend up to 5 skill points.
    Concentrations:
    Suppose you don't want to be just an OK shot with a blaster, but want to be a master with a blaster pistol? Suppose you don't want to be just a fair pilot, but

6. Yuul_Shamar

Yuul_Shamar Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2004
    I want in!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sending tell on character.

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I have now received 4 applicants. Once character details are worked out, we will be getting started.
    2 more spots are still available--it's not too late.

In the mean time, to aid with character building, here are links with the skills used in WEG D6 SW.here
    and here.

8. Gry Sarth

Gry Sarth Ex 2x Banhammer Wielding Besalisk Mod star 5

Jun 24, 1999
    Hey there Koohi. We've known each other for a long time, and I'd love to join in on your game. I can't supply a character idea yet, since I haven't read your campaign idea. For now I just dashed to the end of the thread to guarantee my spot!

Where will this game be run?

And a Noghri jedi? Really...?

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I am still accepting applications. 2 slots open.
    So far I have a fighter pilot, a political attache', a medic, and a spoiled debutante.
    Plenty of room and a wide variety.

Yes, a Nohgri Jedi is possible.
    Not necessarily wize, but possible.

For those wanting to know what the D6 Force Powers list looks like, you can find it in two parts here and here.
    Note: these are just the powers and what Force Attibutes they are associated with. Actual use is a much, much longer matter to go into.

10. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Ok, got around to reading everything, and I just wanted to make clear what rules are being used. I play with 2nd Ed R&E so I want to be clear on the differences:

- Starting dice, you raised from 7D to 11D. Ok.
    - Character Points are called Skill Points, but are otherwise the same.
    - Specializations are called Concentrations, and seem to be a bit different (no +1 pip for +1D). Could you explain exactly how they work, both in creation and in advancement?
    - No "Wounded Twice" status, it's straight to Incapacitated.
    - Haste. Never heard of that in that sense. Can you always opt to "haste" and thus automatically win initiative? What happens if two adversaries choose to "haste"? Taking multiple "haste" actions in the same round means I could perform a number of actions before anyone else gets to do anything? Otherwise why make mulptiple "haste" actions in the same round?
    - Scale. Capital scale, instead of being 12D above Character scale, is now 8D.

I think that's it. Besides you house rules which are quite clear.

And I see you haven't really outlined the actual campaign. Anything goes, that's it?

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Concentration and Specialization work roughly the same. Your initial investment is doubled (1D becomes 2D, 1 pip becomes 2 pips). Advancement of a specialization is 1/2 the #D, rounded up.

Initiative: War is chaos. Everything happens at once. Yes, you can double haste, tripple haste, etc, but I didn't want to go into that level of complexity in the initial post--would have if someone sent me a supremo gunslinger type. Each haste is an additional 1D.

What are the chances someone is going to try to take on a star destroyer, or even a Carrik Light Cruiser, with a blaster riffle, and expect to do serious damage? +8D is usually more than enough size disparity discouragement.

Campaign is set in classic era. I was planning on tailoring the adventures to suit the characters.

12. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Ok, so it's the same as specialization on advancement, but harder on character creation.

Well, if you're firing at point blank, the difficulty is really low. With the "haste" rules any average character could riddle an enemy with shots before he gets a chance to do anything in return.

But the difference between a Starfighter and a Capital ship goes from 6D to 2D, which is substantial.

Not questioning your rules, just discussing them.

13. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Yep, though you can add a specialization at any time.

This is true. It's generally getting the drop on someone.

Yes, but Starfighters are supposed to be capable of seriously damaging capital ships, esp with Proton Torpedoes.

:) Quite alright.

Dang it--I was going to mention something else, but completely forgot about it.

Amusingly, everyone so far is playing humans.

14. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    hi all, just wanted to put in a post before the start of the game and introduce myself.
    i'm a bit new to d6 star wars, but quite experienced in the pre-saga D20. anyway i have the basics down now and btw, im the afore mentioned medic :)

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    My character is the self-made 'pampered imperial noble.'

Human, naturally--Human High Culture and all that good stuff.

16. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Greetings all.

Well, I'm certainly not playing a human. I love to play different alien species, I think they tend to add a lot to roleplay. I've only ever made one human Star Wars character...

17. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    hmmm a lot of my D20 star wars friends are of the same mind. of course i can usually snag at least one of them to play a human as i slightly improved them using a house rule of mine.

P.S. anyone else want to introduce themselves? oh, and koohii any new finished applicants to add on to the 4 afore-mentioned ones?

18. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    I'm playing the political type. In a d20 game i'm in I have a Barabel Force Warrior so I don't always play humans (though I do also have a human freighter pilot :p). Obviously his skills lie more in diplomacy than firing a blaster, but he can take care of himself reasonably well.

Koohii, I need to PM you with an equipment change actually, just a minor thing, i'm at work at the mo so it won't be any time soon.

19. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    hmmm, so us plus the pilot (who we havent seen yet) and whatever Gry Sarth decides on...
    any updates koohii?

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    At this point, I have 2 open slots, and between the time I want to bed last night and woke up this morning, in addition to the 3 that were jousting and had started work on character submissions, 2 more have asked to join and I had to turn them down.

At this time, I am declaring the game full. Those who have started working on your characters, but haven't finished are competing for 2 slots. So, unless someone decides to drop out, we're set. If you haven't received a PM from me saying "sorry", please finish your character and get it to me so I can sort out which of the first 3 adventures you're going to be starting with.

I plan to put forth the first post Monday.

21. Yuul_Shamar

Nov 3, 2004
    yay i can hardly wait.....=P~

ill be on monday late afternoon, evening and night until close to midnight(cst, central standard time, U.S.)

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Let's Get Started!
    Notes:
    I will be working extensively on the honor system. Feel free to ask questions and clarifications to anything I post here. When dealing with combat, please post all your intended actions for the round. Then you get to roll your dice and post the results to me in this format: 5+2+2+4+6=19. The first die is Always the wild die. Please mark it accordingly with a font color or bold or some such.
    Please post Defensive action rolls (Dodge, Melee Parry, Lightsaber defence roll, Brawling Parry, piloting evasion rolls) first, Attack rolls (Brawling, Melee, Blaster, Grenade, Gunnery, Lightsaber attack rolls) second, and anything else last. So, if you are picking a lock, firing a blaster, and dodging, please post:
    Dodge: 4+2+4=10 Blaster 6+6+5+3+3+2=25 Security Systems 5+6=11
    though preferablly consistantly with thatever you're using to denote the wild die.
    If you do not want others to know exactly what you are up to, highlight your text so that it has to be selected to be read. Likewise, if I post something for one player to read, it will be highlighted with the person?s handle in front of it, i.e.:
    Ender Sai:
    If you are not Ender Sai, and you?re reading this and act on it, Shame On You!
    This is (hopefully) in keeping with the feel of a table-top game where players hear things that other players are doing, but the characters won?t know about it. It also helps me keep everything in one place. However, it can be a good learning experience early on. If, however, you say ?I hand the jedi party member over to the stormtroopers? or ?I call the bounty hunters and tell them where to find Zabba-Dabba-Doo so they can collect the 10000 credit bounty on him? and the only way you could know about either of those things was by read the highlighted post. I will reach through cyber-space to smack you, and said action will not actually take place.
    If you really don?t trust your fellow players, or have a private question, you may of course PM me.
    If you want to point out an embarrassing error or miscalculation I?ve made, go ahead and make it public!
    One Error I will tell you about now is that somehow I miscounted. We have 7 Players, and I don't feel like booting anyone out, so let's run with what we've got and see what happens. If anyone gets bored & wants to drop out, please PM me. Please be prepared to read and post at least once a week. If the players move faster than that, so will I.
    Now, on to the fun stuff...

Story:
    Each of you is aboard the passenger liner Cetacean Princess for a different reason. (Check your PMs for details). There are a number of non-humans on board, but humans are definitely predominant species.
    You may or may not have run into each other.
    The Cetacean Princess is a large ship, about 30 meters tall, 25 meters wide, and 120 long. The forward quarter of 6 decks makes up one large room that acts as viewing gallery, formal banquet hall, and dance hall, with hover-disk bubbles available for the more graceful and nimble dancers. The entire outer hull is designed to fade to transparency or to opaque as needed for mood or passenger safety. The forward quarter of the three decks below this large room is a single room that formats cabaret theater, lounge, and bar. The flight deck is a dent in the smooth top of the hull, with access through a secure door (crew ID needed) in between the Spa/Salon and the Gym on the top level. The bottom two levels make up the cargo hold, ships? systems, and crew quarters. There are nearly 50 passengers (the quarters are rather spacious?normal commercial transport ship this size would have 5-10 times as many), with 16 crew, at least 15 stewards and servants (if you notice such beings), and 5 or 6 entertainers. The imperial suite is rumored to be three times the size of a regular room onboard this vessel, and it has been booked, though no one seems to know who is staying in it.
    There are 4 weapons? turrets on the Ceta

23. Gry Sarth

Jun 24, 1999
    Alright, I'm in! Sent my character do Koohii yesterday. I'll be playing Sloor, a Dug smuggler/outlaw. Looking foward to playing with you guys.

Again, where will this game be run?

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Right Here!

25. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    A gloved six-fingered hand holding a fork paused in spearing a piece of meat in the banquet hall. Vir Sharr cocked his head at his private table and listened to the announcement. Sounded reasonable. Immediately, he put the fork down, stood, and walked to the exit of the dining room.

Unfortunately, his way was blocked by a number of panicky humans pushing past each other to be first through the door. Immoral beasts. Fat and ripe for the slaughter. And probably about to be robbed, too. Vir's clothes were simple and modest compared to some of their frillery. And if his manners were worse, he didn't care about that.

The Imperials occupying his homeworld had given a show of almost admirable unity, but the dirty reality was that humans fought each other in millions of petty, self-destructive ways. Their attackers might not be other humans, but Vir guessed they were.

There were, he had found, an awful lot of humans in the Galaxy.

Unfortunately, there seemed no way around pushing his way through the crowd. So he waited for the humanss to disperse. He had a weapon of the sort the aliens used in his quarters, so he would try to go there first and then decide where to go from there. Once he could get out without having to touch anyone, of course. To his nose, the room stunk even more than before. He thought it smelled like fear.

Almost as an afterthought, he unfastened his sleeves.

[Character: Vir Sharr, escaped slave, dissident, and up and coming mechanic. Location: Banquet hall attempting to reach personal quarters]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.