main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Price of Sacrifice {Obi-Wan, Anakin -- Angst, AU} |COMPLETE 11-11-03|

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CalaisKenobi, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Summary: The scene where the council (through Yoda) grants permission to Obi-Wan to take on Anakin as a Padawan seemed a bit too simple. What price did Obi-Wan really pay to carry out his Master?s dying wish?

Disclaimer: I own nothing but this story created in the world of the Great George Lucas. Please don?t sue me :)

Author's Note: \****\ are thoughts and \\****\\ are messages sent via a bond.

2. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    The Price of Sacrifice

Obi-Wan was tired, so very, very tired. He couldn?t even remember what it felt like to be anything but totally and completely drained. The Force, though a powerful ally, could not work miracles.

Obi-Wan knew that the long nights of not sleeping, and the endless days of secrecy and stealth and hardship were aging him prematurely, but there was nothing he could do about it. He had to get by as he always had, by living day to day, or in the ?here and now? as his old Master used to say.

As he walked through the Jedi temple, the other Jedi seemed to avoid him, either giving sympathetic glances, or simply appearing not to notice him. He knew that he looked bad, and that anyone even slightly Force sensitive could feel the exhaustion radiating off of him, but no one even suspected why he was so tired. Well almost no one.

Mostly, the Jedi passing him in the halls attributed it to his new Padawan. To be knighted and given a Padawan at such a young age was both a privilege and a trial. And though that was not the excuse for his bedraggled state, he was willing to let the halls of the Jedi temple resound with such speculation and rumors.

Entering his quarters, he wanted only to fall into a deep and dreamless sleep, but first he needed to see to his Padawan. Anakin, though becoming more accustomed to having free time (and freedom, for that matter) still had a bad habit of getting into trouble if he spent too much time unsupervised. Obi-Wan would never begrudge having such a curious and active Padawan, but he sometimes wished that he could have one just a little more sedate.

?Good evening Master. How was the meeting on Malastare?? Anakin greeted him, coming from his room as he sensed Obi-Wan?s presence in the common room.

?Exhausting as usual my Padawan. And how have your days been going since I?ve been away?? \\Should I be expecting any irate comms\\

At the brief mental message, Anakin blushed, deciding to answer the spoken message first. ?I have been busy Master. Master Bant has been helping me to work on my healing abilities. She thinks that I may have great potential in it. She also says that I?ll probably need it, seeing as how I am YOUR Padawan.?

?Well, Bant did gain the majority of her healing experience by patching me up on return from missions with Qui-Gon,? Obi-Wan answered with a small grin as he remembered some of his many visits to the healer?s ward. ?Now, should I check the comm. first, or are you going to tell me what to expect before I have to listen to all of my messages from your instructors??

?Actually, Master, I don?t think you will be getting any calls from my instructors, or from the Council members. After the debacle with the ?borrowed? transport last time you left, I decided it would be better if maybe I just spent some time meditating and working on my katas and lessons, rather than joy-riding in Master Windu?s skimmer.?

?Well, Anakin, I am glad to see that maybe you are beginning to settle down a little bit. It would be nice to return from a round of meetings, without having to prepare to face down the firing squad in place for my wayward apprentice,? Obi-Wan smiled fondly at his apprentice, before moving on towards the ?fresher.

?Since it appears that I will have no immediate problems I need to deal with, I think that I am going to take a shower and head off to bed. Is there anything else I need to know about, or we need to talk about before I retire??

?No, Master. There isn?t anything that can?t wait until morning. Have a good night?s rest,? Anakin called to the retreating form of his Master.

He was beginning to worry about his Master. When he had first met Obi-Wan aboard the Queen?s transport on Tatooine, Obi-Wan had seemed so young and full of life. He practically radiated with his connection to the Force. Anakin had not had the chance to meet many Force-users in his existence as a slave, but he doubted that anyone could shine more brightly than Obi-Wan had.

It seemed only a few short days later, w

3. TrinityDay

TrinityDay Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2000
    Very intriguing start. I can't wait to read more.

4. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    i like this, good start! Can't wait for more!!!

~*Nikita*~

5. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    As the temple began to awaken and the lights returned to their simulated day setting, Anakin remained slumped in the chair outside the healer?s ward. He had been there since late the night before after frantically rushing his Master to the ward.

He had called Master Bant from his Master?s comm., after finding Obi-Wan unresponsive on the floor of their quarters. With his Master slumped right in front of the small comm. station, it was not difficult to give Master Bant all of the readings and information she required as she dispatched orderlies to bring Obi-Wan to the ward.

If Anakin had had more training in Force control, he would have attempted to levitate his Master to the Healer?s, but he did not want to risk further hurting Obi-Wan in a panicked attempt to gain a few minutes time.

Once the orderlies had arrived, Master Bant had signed off with Anakin and had left her quarters to meet them at the Healer?s. Master Bant had told Anakin to return to his quarters and get some rest, and that she would notify him as soon as they knew anything about what had caused his Master?s collapse. Anakin was uncomfortable leaving Obi-Wan?s side when he had no idea what had befallen his Master. He was feeling somewhat guilty that he had went to the transport bay instead of staying in his room when he knew his Master was so exhausted.

He knew that such guilt was ridiculous, and that he would probably have only kept his Master from rest if he had remained in their quarters, but he was extremely worried about Obi-Wan. He had never known his Master to even have a cold in the four years that they had been together. To find his Master unconscious and so vulnerable was a shock to the young apprentice.

Bant stood over the unconscious form of her best friend as he lay stretched out on the med-bed. He appeared so young when he was asleep. The past four years had added stress lines and a harder expression to his face when he was awake, but asleep he looked more like the young initiate Bant had swam and played with years before.

Beside the med-bed, Master Healer Ravenna was noting the readings from the many sensors covering Obi-Wan?s body. Both Ravenna and Bant were sure that Obi-Wan was suffering from some form of psychic exhaustion, but they were not sure what had caused the malady.

Bant knew that Obi-Wan had just returned from one of his ?meetings? but as usual she was unsure of what exactly said meeting had entitled this time. Sometimes Obi-Wan returned from the meetings with nary a mark or complaint. Other times, and sadly the more often times, Obi-Wan returned on a stretcher.

This time, Obi-Wan had not even stopped by the Healer?s before reporting directly to his quarters. Bant had planned on seeing him in the morning, since usually he would have a wound of some kind or another that he would pretend hadn?t happened.

Bant knew that Obi-Wan avoided the Healer?s on principle alone, but that he also avoided it because he did not want the rumors of his time spent there to spread to his apprentice or to the council. The Jedi Council kept close tabs on the ?Master of the Chosen One,? and Obi-Wan could not afford to have too many visits to the Healer?s on his record.

As Bant contemplated her friend, Ravenna adjusted the small sensor on Obi-Wan?s temple. With a slight gasp, Obi-Wan regained consciousness and opened his eyes looking blankly around the room, before settling his gaze on Bant.

?So, you?ve decided to return once again to the land of the living, eh Obi? This time I thought you?d decide to spend a little more time in la la land before you decided to join us again,? Bant gently teased as Obi-Wan tried to sit up on the med-bed.

?You need to remain lying down, Obi-Wan,? Master Healer Ravenna chastised as she pushed him back down onto the bed. ?You are not yet ready to be up and fighting draigons again. You?re going to have to take some down-time to recover from the psychic shock you incurred this time.?

Obi-Wan lay back down on

6. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    VERY intriguing and I'm definitely in the chow line to receive more. :)

7. babybantha

babybantha Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    Poor Obi! :_|

This is so sad. The poor boy's worked himself to exhaustion. And what about these "meetings" he's required to go to? I'll bet the Council is behind them. Oh, this is so awful (in a wonderful way, of course ;) ).

And I like your Anakin, too. He's not in the least bit bratty. :D

Good job, keep going!

8. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks TrinityDay, Nikita, TheFallen and babybanthat for reading and reviewing. This is my first fic and I really appreciate it. I should have some more of this posted tomorrow, and hopefully finished soon (I hate being left hanging, even by stories I write :) )

9. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    wow, Obi what have you got yourself into? hehe these meetings sound a little too much like missions gone bad... but then again, i like those kind cause he gets hurt! ahh, hehe

Good post!

~*Nikita*~

10. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Anakin hadn?t even realized that he had fallen asleep when he was being roughly awakened and dragged out of the Healer?s ward. Never being a morning person, it took Anakin a few seconds before he realized that it was his Master doing the pulling.

?Master?? When the pressure on his arm didn?t even hesitate, and Obi-Wan did not noticeably slow, Anakin tried to reach his Master through the training bond.

\\ Master? Are you ok? Shouldn?t you still be in the Healer?s ward? \\

\\ I am fine Anakin, we just need to return to our quarters so we can both get some sleep.\\

Realizing the blatant dismissal for what it was, Anakin remained silent until they had entered the common room of their quarters. Determined to make sure that his Master really was ok, and what had been wrong with him, Anakin planted his feet and refused to be dragged any farther than the entrance to their rooms.

Obi-Wan was pulled off balance by the sudden halting of his apprentice, but to Anakin?s surprise, he merely released him and continued on to his room. ?We will discuss your lessons for the day in the morning Anakin, for now, I am going to get some sleep. I suggest you do as well.?

?Master, it is morning. I need to get ready for a class, but I will be back over the lunch hour. If you?re sure that you are ok, I am going to head off to my classes,? Anakin called to his Master, just before Obi-Wan shut the door to his own room.

?That?s fine Anakin. Have a good day, and please don?t cause any trouble,? came Obi-Wan?s voice, the last part muffled as the door finished closing.

With a sigh, Anakin grabbed up his datapad pack and ran a brush through his short Padawan haircut. He really would prefer to remain with his Master, but it was morning, and he knew that if he missed class the instructors would be calling and waking Obi-Wan before he?d had a chance to catch much sleep. Anakin knew that if he hadn?t been missing classes so much in the past, he would?ve been able to stay with his Master and not worry about irate instructors disturbing his rest. Just one more thing to add to the shoulders of an already overly guilty Padawan learner.

Upon entering his sleeping quarters, Obi-Wan paused only to remove his robe and boots, and then collapsed on the sleep couch. Vowing to sleep for at least five cycles, he closed his eyes and tried to rest.

Half an hour later he was cursing the fact that sleep suggestions could not be used on oneself. Determined to wear his mind out to the point he could sleep, he sat up and moved over to the chair in front of his comm. unit.

There were many messages from friends and fellow Knights who had heard of his late night trip to the Healers. Obi-Wan decided that sending a form comm. of ?I?m fine? might not cut it this time. He knew that his friends were only worried, but he hated the attention and sympathy they gave. Even if they assumed it was only due to his overactive and overtalented Padawan, it was still frustrating to have so many people checking up on him.

Choosing to ignore the ?get well soon? comms until a later time, Obi-Wan continued down the list of saved messages. Towards the bottom he saw a formal comm. from the Council requesting his presence just prior to the lunch hour.

With a groan, Obi-Wan realized that he would have to shower and ready himself immediately if he was to make the meeting on time. \So much for sleep\ he thought bitterly as he began to remove the med tunic and work his way towards the fresher.

A few minutes later, after a shower and change of clothing, Obi-Wan wrote a quick note to Anakin apologizing for not being there for lunch as he had promised and then headed out the door to meet with the council.

After making the updates to Obi-Wan?s chart, Bant decided to stop by and check on her most frequent patient. She knew that Master Ravenna was upset that Obi-Wan had checked himself out against the Healer?s wishes, but they both knew that

11. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Obi-Wan hated the massive wooden doors. In a time of palm-activated sliding doors, the archaic Council entrance just seemed ridiculous. Of course, he had not always felt this way. When he had been a Padawan, he had always been enthralled with the carved wooden doors that were so unlike any others in the temple. The first time he had been called to the Council, he had been so awed by both the doors and the power of the Force emanating from within, that it took a strong mental nudge from Qui-Gon to remind him to actually enter the room.

Today it seemed it would take a lot more than a mental nudge from a Master to cause him to budge from his chair outside the chambers.

\They call me up here, order me to report at exactly this time, KNOWING that I am exhausted and haven?t slept, and then they leave me out here to wait like some mischievous initiate called to the carpet\ The thoughts may not have been exactly becoming of a Jedi, but Obi-Wan was too tired to notice or care. Just when he thought he was going to lose his patience and do something really un-Jedi-like by pounding on the sith-begotten doors the summons rang and the massive doors began to open.

Suppressing a sigh, Obi-Wan stood and entered the chambers that almost overflowed with the power of the Force. As the doors began to swing shut, Obi-Wan sketched a bow to the Council members and when the doors resealed with a slight hiss, he was prepared to accept whatever came his way.

Anakin and Bant were unsurprised to find the Kenobi/Skywalker chambers empty when they arrived. It would have been truly surprising to actually find Obi-Wan doing something as logical and healthy as sleeping, or even getting something to eat. Anakin noticed the note on the table and after reading it, passed it off to Bant.

?Why is it that my Master seems to always be called before the Council, and yet we never go on any missions?? Anakin asked with just a touch of frustration in his tone. It seemed to him that the Council purposely tried to keep his Master away from him.

He knew that Obi-Wan was a great Knight of the Order, and he didn?t understand why the Council not only kept him from completing important missions across the galaxy, but instead sent him to boring meetings that exhausted his Master to the point of apparent collapse. And for some reason, the Council forbade Anakin to attend to his Master at any of the meetings, leaving the Padawan alone more often than any other apprentice at the temple.

?I don?t know Anakin,? Bant said returning to the more familiar form of address now that they were away from the other Padawans who had been around the training rooms. ?Maybe you two will get sent on a mission together this time. I am sure that the Council must realize that you need to spend more time with your Master than they have allowed for in the past.?

?I hope so. I don?t know what these ?meetings? are that the Council keeps sending my Master to, but he always returns looking even more bedraggled than when he left. None of the other Masters return from Senate meetings or any other kind of meeting looking so drawn. Don?t you think the Council would notice that he is obviously bored to the point of collapse by these meetings and would at least send him on a solo mission, even if I couldn?t go?? Anakin asked as he fetched two glasses of juice from the Kitchen and gestured for Bant to make her self comfortable on the couch.

Accepting the juice, Bant motioned for Anakin to sit beside her. With the almost constant absence of his Master, Anakin and Bant had formed a close bond. She not only acted as an instructor, but also as a sounding board for his frustrations and problems, and most importantly, she acted as his friend.

?I?m sure the Council realizes how tired Obi-Wan is. After last night?s incident, I don?t see how they could refuse to acknowledge that they are overworking him. Hopefully this summons was only to report on his last meeting and to offer him some downtime. I am sure that the

12. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    On the transport to Navira, Obi-Wan reviewed the information the Council had given him for this mission. He hated having to lie to Anakin, but he did not want his apprentice to worry about him, or even worse, feel guilty. Although it was not as often stressed to the initiates, guilt led as easily to the darkside as did anger or hate. Anakin was too important for Obi-Wan to risk even the slightest chance that he would turn.

Telling Anakin that he was going to Malastare was a blatant lie, something Jedi were forbidden to do. He comforted himself somewhat with the thought that at least his transport was going to have to stop briefly at Malastare to refuel. He knew that to try to justify his lie to his Padawan by accepting such a skewed version of truth was ridiculous, but it offered him some relief, and as tired as he was he would accept any comfort he could get.

\This is ridiculous that the Council is sending me out on a mission again so soon. The last one to Ilion should have been more than enough to fulfill my end of our ?bargain?\ Obi-Wan thought to himself as he watched the star streaks of hyperspace out the window.

\Three weeks of hell, and it counts for nothing. Instead I get sent out again right away to another hotspot of the galaxy to carry the ?flaming sword of Jedi Justice.?\ Obi-Wan realized that now he was just being cynical, and that he really needed to get some rest before the rebellion of his thoughts escaped into spoken word.

Unstrapping from the bench he had secured himself to for the jump from Coruscant, he made his way back towards the crew cabins. \Maybe now I can catch some sleep\

Once Obi-Wan had left the chambers of the Council, the massive doors had once again swung shut, leaving the Council members alone in the sound dampened room.

?We should not have sent him out again so soon. He is obviously exhausted and he needs to be given some time to recuperate and train his Padawan. We have asked too much of him this time I fear,? Mace Windu began, knowing that the entire Council was rearing up for yet another debate regarding Obi-Wan Kenobi.

?A short mission this is. For such a talented knight, it will not last long. Return to us soon, he will. Rest then he can,? Yoda said leaning forward in preparation of leaving. Master Yoda, though having the patience only one over 800 could have, was tired of the endless debate regarding the young knight. Yoda felt that Obi-Wan had chosen this path when he had defied the Council and taken Skywalker as a Padawan. If Knight Kenobi no longer wished to carry out his end of the bargain with the Council, he had only to send Skywalker away, and all would be well.

?A short mission it may be, but dangerous it is as well. We are asking too much of him. Even if he is the only Knight to have killed a Sith in thousands of years, it is too much to expect him to keep going out on these dangerous missions and returning to us alive,? Depa Bilaba stated, interrupting Yoda?s plans to dismiss the Council.

?And asking him to lie to his Padawan so often is wearing him down as well,? Mace added.

?Asking him to lie we are not. His decision that was. If he does not wish to carry out these missions, then he knows what he needs to do. His choice it is,? Councilor Yaddle weighed in, in the distinctive syntax of her species.

?This debate has been ongoing for the past four years. Knight Kenobi?s transport has already made the leap to hyperspace so the point is moot. I suggest we confine our discussion to more active topics, or adjourn for the day.? Ki-Adi-Mundi had abstained from any votes the Council had made in the matter of Obi-Wan Kenobi, and he was not interested in wasting any more time on the issue. ?Perhaps we should discuss who to send on the mission to Kardon.?

And with the opening of a new topic, the Council members were once again engaged in debate.

Obi-Wan barely had a chance to step off the ramp of the transport on Navira before i

13. babybantha

Jun 1, 2002
    Wow, three posts in one day! You are officially my new favorite writer. :)

Now about our young Jedi Knight... how could the Council do this to him? What are they thinking? And how could Yoda be so mean?

This "bargain" smells suspicious to me; either Obi-Wan works himself to death for them or he has to exile his Padawan to some backwater world to be a farmer. Sheesh, it's not like they gave him much of a choice!

Okay, can you tell I'm upset about this? But I do like to see poor Obi-Wan suffer, so bring on the angst! ;)

14. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    I'm still wondering what it is these little meetings entail. Don't keep us waiting too long, now!

15. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    Great story, CalaisKenobi!

Fascinating

I couldn't stop reading before I reached the end of the last post

Please, post more

16. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Keep it comming keep it comming

17. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Intresting. I can't believe the Council would let Obi keep running around like that. Can't wait for more.

~Swede :p

18. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    After following the three westerners for the better part of five hours, Obi-Wan was beginning to wonder just where it was they were leading him. He knew that with the invading forces of the east growing stronger and stronger daily, the western encampment was probably quite mobile and well hidden, but this was ridiculous. The three guides had changed directions twice already on this hike, once in a complete about face.

?You do know where we are going, correct?? Obi-Wan finally dared to ask as he ducked under a low-slung branch.

?Of course, Jedi Kenobi, we just cannot risk being followed. The easterners are using tracking droids in an attempt to find our camp. We have found that backtracking and leaving a meandering trail seems to throw them off,? the middle westerner replied.
    It appeared that she was the leader of the three that had come to meet him. The other two had not as much as made eye contact in the entire five hours since he had landed.

?If you fear tracking droids so much, might it not be better to arrive at your camp as expediently as possible, rather than risking stumbling across one of the trackers, or one of the scouts for the eastern army??

?They will have seen your transport landing, and are undoubtedly attempting to track us now. But, if you are in such a hurry to arrive at the encampment, we will risk discovery so that you may begin on your mission right away sir Jedi,? the westerner replied, while beginning to move at a more rapid pace.

?No, I am sure you know these conditions better than I. I am impatient to reach your camp and begin my mission, but I do not wish to put your leaders at risk. Continue as you had planned Sri Westerner,? Obi-Wan said with a slight twinge of guilt. He wanted to return to Anakin as soon as possible, but he knew better than to put others at risk simply so he could return to Coruscant.

Slowing the pace once more, the woman turned briefly to make eye contact with the Jedi. ?You may call me Narissa. I am not in the top echelon of our forces, so it is not necessary to refer to me as Sri Westerner. I am merely the most familiar with the area you were cleared to land in, and as such was chosen to receive you,? she stated, turning once more to the land in front of them. As she turned, the hood that covered her face caught on a branch and pulled back somewhat. Obi-Wan was stunned to see that she appeared to be in her early twenties at the oldest.

?Thank you Narissa. Do you have an estimate as to when we may arrive at your camp?? Obi-Wan asked, hoping she would turn once again so he could get a better look at this young woman who was given such an apparently dangerous task.

Without turning, Narissa adjusted her hood once more and answered his query. ?We should be arriving before nightfall. That should give you an opportunity to talk with our leader and perhaps prepare to ?visit? the eastern encampment at daybreak.? As she finished speaking, the young woman once again faced forward and began again the silent trek to the western front.

Anakin and Bant were still sitting on the couch in the common room where Obi-Wan left them. Bant had made it a point to try to spend the first few hours after Obi-Wan?s departures with Anakin, giving him the chance to express any questions or doubts he had. Obi-Wan had asked Bant to look after his Padawan, and to try to keep his secret as long as possible. Since Bant knew that Anakin had an insatiable curiosity, it was important that she be the one he asked his questions to.

Currently, Anakin was engaged in a holo-vid that Bant was only paying partial attention to. Anakin had seemed upset at Obi-Wan?s departure, but instead of talking to Bant, he had decided to lose himself in the latest installment of the reality holo-vid that was all the rage on Coruscant. Bant, however, could not stop thinking about the look Obi-Wan had given her as he had gathered his travel pack. In that one look he had both asked her to keep his secret, and to take care of his Pa

19. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks to everyone for reading and reviewing so far! I appreciate the support! Hopefully I will have a few more posts to make tonight... this story is practically writing itself :)

Nikita: Obi Angst is my favorite type of story if you couldn't guess! Glad to know someone else appreciates it too

Babybantha: Thanks for the support. I may not have 3 posts today, but I hope to have at least 2 a day if not more :)

TheFallen: Hopefully the full implications of the meetings Obi-Wan attends will be realized by Anakin before something happens to his Master, but we shall see... ;)

Jedi-NiFet: Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully this story will live up to expectations

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: I promise there will be more coming and it will come in as quick of a fashion as I can type it :)

TheSwedishJedi: Thanks, here's some more

Thanks everyone, more tonight!

20. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Oh how you TEASE US!! :p

And yet I still sit and wait for MORE!

21. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
  22. babybantha

Jun 1, 2002
    Oh man, now Qui-Gon is in on all this?! And poor Anakin won't even talk to Bant anymore. Arg, this is almost unbearable. :_|

I must know what happens! Post more! ;)

23. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Morning came too quickly on the planet of Navira. Obi-Wan had spent the entire night reviewing the details the westerners had gathered on the eastern leader and his camp.
    After going over all of the information they had gathered, Obi-Wan was still left with little information as to who the eastern leader was, and how he had managed to bring in weapons from such a vast assortment of planets.

The eastern leader had succeeded in gathering his supplies from planets far and wide throughout the galaxy. Each of the planets he had gathered from was renowned for one or more forms of weaponry, and somehow the leader had brought only the best. Plasma cannons from Iktira, ground transports from Correllia, N?arkan hounds from N?ark, and shields from the Gungan city on Naboo. It was the last item that had forced Obi-Wan to plan his assault for the daytime.

Normally, in such a mission, the Jedi would have preferred to enter the enemy encampment during the night rotation. It was much easier to maneuver unseen when the sun wasn?t bright overhead. Unfortunately, the eastern army also realized this fact, and had created a grid of modified Gungan shields. These shields, unlike the ones used during the invasion of Naboo four years prior, did not allow entry or exit of any biological life. Even with the power of the Force, there was no way for Obi-Wan to enter the camp until the shields were down.

Of course, entering the camp during the day would not exactly be easy. Just because the shields were down, did not mean that the camp was left unguarded. Just the opposite, in fact, the camp was heavily guarded.

Surrounding the camp was a fence sixteen feet tall that was topped with poisoned razor wire. Just inside of the first fence, was a second fence, of the same height, also topped with the wire. The space between the two fences provided ample area for a ?dog run? which was heavily guarded by the N?arkan hounds. Even if an intruder were to make it over the first fence, they would never clear the second before the hounds took them down.

The only entrances to and from the camp were equipped with sensors that tested the genetic imprint of all who entered or exited the camp. All of the easterners who had authorized access were entered into a main database that was sequestered in the middle of the camp. No other easterners, whether civilian or politician were permitted onto the base.

The eastern encampment may have been heavily fortified and impossible to infiltrate by the westerners, but for a Jedi, there was a massive weak point that could be utilized. From a young age, all Jedi were taught to use the Force to enhance their physical prowess. As such, even young initiates were capable of easily leaping to the roof of a four-story building. Clearing a distance of sixteen feet was nothing for an experienced Padawan, and for a knight, it was almost ridiculous.

Sri Edinb and Narissa were convinced that that was the best way for Obi-Wan to gain access to the camp. Obi-Wan however, was suspicious. \Why would an experienced Force user leave such an obvious opening? He would have to know how easily it could be exploited if he spent any time with the Jedi, let alone if he had actually BEEN a Jedi.\ Obi-Wan thought as soon as the weakness was pointed out to him.

Even if the fallen Jedi had no reason to suspect that a Jedi Knight would ever set foot on Navira, it bordered on insane to leave such an obvious defensive opening. With the amount of money that the leader had spent on defense, it would not have been that much more costly to simply add a laser grid extending another fifty feet above the chain fencing. The apparent chink in the eastern leader?s army smelled suspiciously like a set-up to Obi-Wan.

Once Obi-Wan had ruled out the fenced border as an opening into the camp, that left only the actual entrances to the eastern encampment. This left the Jedi with the problem of how to gain access into the camp with the sensors that filtered all ingoing and outgoing personnel. If the sensors had instead

24. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    I will try to post another section sometime tonight. I promise that the next post will have some action, the setup for this story has taken longer than I had anticpated. Thanks for hanging on so far :)

25. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Oh I'm hanging on with white knuckles, my friend.

I'm not leaving this thing until the bitter end! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.