main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Price of Sacrifice {Obi-Wan, Anakin -- Angst, AU} |COMPLETE 11-11-03|

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CalaisKenobi, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    the assassin had just greeted him and Master Adi Gallia by name

Uh Oh Trouble
    Welcome Back and Happy Anniversary.

2. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Thanks Kitara!

I do plan on more responses, but right now I am writing Surprise with Sguid... so it'll be a bit later. But thanks!!!
    :D

3. PaddyJuan

PaddyJuan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2002
    you're back!!!!

*does a hoppy froggy dance*

'oh, not good' pretty well covers the Sith greeting Mace and Adi. uh oh works too.

edit: you know what i think is so sad? that obi offered his ponytail to yoda only to have yoda try to kill him off for the next few years with his suicide mission pact.

4. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *does happy dance*

Post and CK is back for the summer!! :D

5. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Double post. :mad:

6. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Flashback to four years ago

Before his guest could ring the buzzer, and risk waking Anakin, Obi-Wan palmed open the door. ?Obi-Wan!? his guest cried, quickly wrapping him in a warm embrace. ?It?s good to see you.?

Smiling genuinely for the first time in days, Obi-Wan returned the hug. ?Garen, I?ve missed you as well.?

Releasing his friend, Garen stepped into the open quarters with a familiarity only a life-long companion could have. ?Is Anakin asleep?? he asked, already knowing of the trials his best friend had endured over the past week?s duration.

?I hope so,? Obi-Wan replied with a wan grin. ?It?s been awhile since either of us has managed to truly rest.?

?Obi,? Garen began, his eyes darkened by sorrow, ?I?m so sorry to hear about Master Jinn. He was truly one of the greatest Jedi, and the greatest man, that I?ve ever had the pleasure of knowing.?

Accepting his friend?s condolences with a slight nod of his head, and attempting to swallow the sudden lump in his throat, Obi-Wan turned to the kitchen before the tears could spill from the corners of his eyes. Although he had worked hard to release his grief and sorrow to the Force, the death of his Master and near-father had been too much to recover from so quickly.

?Would you like some tea?? Obi-Wan asked, successfully swallowing his sorrow.

?Sure,? Garen answered, as he laid a hand on his friend?s shoulder and pushed him toward the couch. ?I?ll go make some.?

Instead of arguing, as he normally would have, Obi-Wan accepted the offer and dropped down onto the sofa. Rubbing his hands over his eyes, he waited for Garen to return from the kitchen.

?You like your tea plain, right?? Garen asked unnecessarily, giving Obi-Wan warning that he was returning to the room. Sitting up straighter on the sofa, Obi-Wan settled his hands in his lap.

?Plain is great, thanks Garen,? he replied, accepting the warm cup. ?I?m sorry to have bothered you so late at night,? Obi-Wan began, jumping straight into the topic at hand, ?but I need to ask a favor of you.?

?You know that if there?s anything you ever need, all you have to do is ask,? Garen answered.

?I know,? Obi-Wan sighed, setting his tea cup aside as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on his knees. From his position in the chair beside the sofa, Garen watched as his friend ran his hands fitfully through his short hair. ?I know that you?ve always said that, Garen, but what I am asking of you is a rather large favor, and I?d understand completely if you said no.?

?Why don?t you tell me what it is first,? Garen responded, setting his own cup of tea beside the one Obi-Wan had abandoned.

Sighing again, the new Knight began. ?When I got back from my meetings today, I found a message on my comm. unit from Chancellor Palpatine. He?s asked, well, actually more like ordered, me to become the Senate Liaison for the Jedi Order.?

?That?s great!? Garen said enthusiastically. ?Now you?ll be able to stay on Coruscant to train Anakin without having to worry about missions.?

?It would be great,? Obi-Wan corrected, ?except I can?t accept the position. And unless I can find someone else to??

?Why can?t you accept?? his friend interrupted, leaning forward. ?It would be the perfect assignment for you and Anakin. He needs to be trained, and you need to train him. I don?t see what the problem is.?

Lifting his head, Obi-Wan turned his desolate gaze on Garen. ?I can?t accept because I no longer have the right to choose my own assignments.?

?What?? Garen exclaimed. ?You always have the right to choose your own assignments. Not even the Council can take that away.?

?They can if it is freely given,? Obi-Wan responded, dropping his gaze to his hands once more.

Sitting back in his chair, Garen simply studied his friend for a few moments, as if trying to assimilate the information he had just been given. Before the silence had stretched on too long, he spoke. ?Obi-Wan, what happened?? he asked gently.

As if a dam had broke within him, the new Knight began to explain,

7. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    These responses go way, way back in time, but I wanted to reply anyway :D

obaona I want to scream at Obi-Wan now
    But then he'd have a headache, and that would be bad!

Paddyjuan so very much wonderful action! thank you!
    You're welcome :)

PT Holy smokes Batman...CK posted...
    You're so silly! :p

cristalvandepol I am getting interested in what Obi-Wan truely sacrifice for that brat, I mean Anakin
    Well, we're getting there... and some might even know where we are going already!

MNP So the darkside has not claimed you yet Calaiskenobi
    It claimed me a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ;)

RRK A post. Oh CK! A post! A wonderful, long post full of tightening strings
    Hopefully I don't either forget a string, or pull them too tight! LOL!

Larkonna Could this plot actually have another secret imbedded within its darkness
    Oh, but of course!

spacecase Thank you for the good post ck missed you
    Aww... I missed ya'll too!

Jovieve You're killing me here, CK. All this time and there's STILL a cliffie?
    Yup [face_devil]

Kitara Isn't Moot court fun.
    Oh yeah!!! :D

Psychofreak Hmmm What more could Obi-Wan had possibly sacrificed for Anakin?
    Hmm... his best friend? [face_devil]

Alyana Again, welcome to the thread! I hope that you are able to finish reading this, despite the gap in postings! Thanks for visiting!

spacecase Aww... my brilliance... what flattery. LOL!

EJ Wah! I beat down DRL with a stick!
    Can I borrow the stick?

Sock! I missed ya too!

Thanks for all of the UPS!
    Paddyjuan The summer is looking up!

Psychofreak Yup, I'm back!

Arldetta Puck! I've missed you too. I hope we can talk again soon!

Larkonna I have no idea how I keep track either... maybe that's why I'm so confused all of the time ;)

dparis Yes, reading my sticky notes is a BAD idea [face_devil]

8. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    oh dear. i guess that was how garen turned to the dark side. and then obi had to kill him. how very sad.

9. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    OMG! A POOOOOST! Amazing. I love the flashbacks. More soon.

10. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Wohooo!! Two new posties! :D

So that's what happened to Garen! :(

And the guards knowing Mace and Adi's names, not good, not good at all. [face_plain]

11. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001

Back into the action and what an interesting set of flashbacks. Hmmm...

12. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    I was wondering how Garen wound up in that position (darksider). And I am sure Obi blames himself for it.

13. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Though she kept herself in excellent shape, Padmé was beginning to become winded as she drew nearer and nearer to the lower levels of the Senate. The droid behind her, however, did not suffer from such a human condition as exhaustion. Forcing herself to continue with the thought that she would be out of danger soon, the Senator ran down one final stairwell, with the click, click, click of the droid following closely behind.

As she ran, she watched the surrounding walls closely, waiting for the texture to change. The lower levels of the Senate, much like the lower levels of the Jedi Temple, had been built in an entirely different age, when ambiance had been more important than efficiency. The Senators of former generations had been even more decadent than the well-known excessive spenders of today. In fact, had the lift system had access, it was likely that many of the Senators would have chosen quarters in the beautiful lower levels. Instead, the high-sheen malachite flooring and walls were only seen by those few who had ever wandered far enough down through the unused bowels of the Republic Center.

Reaching the level where the malachite began, Padmé left the stairwell, leading the droideka down one of the slippery corridors. As the droid slowed slightly to adjust for the slick material, the Senator ducked down a connecting hallway. Turning immediately as she slipped around the corner, she leveled her blaster at the high-sheen wall and began to fire. Bouncing off of the walls, as a reflection does off of a mirror, the blaster bolts ricocheted from floor to ceiling and back again. Caught in the middle of the rain of bolts, the droid had no choice but to freeze, using its front shielding in an attempt to protect itself as it waited for its aft shielding to activate. Unfortunately for the destroyer droid, the Senator had anticipated that it would try to use all of its shielding, and had made certain to continue firing until her blaster battery ran dead.

With so many bolts ricocheting through the hall, it was only a matter of time before one of the blasts slipped through the droideka?s defenses. Instead of waiting for the inevitable, Padmé continued to run down the side corridor, just making it to another stairwell before the deafening explosion of the droid?s imploding power matrix echoed through the level.

Dropping into a crouch as he landed soundlessly on the floor, Mace froze, determined to wait in silence until he knew for certain whether the assassin only knew that he and Master Gallia were in the vicinity, or whether the assassin, in fact, knew their exact location. His caution was rewarded when the assassin spoke.

?I know that you are here,? he declared, without turning from where he faced Padawan Elei. ?If you don?t want to see the rest of these Jedi killed,? the assassin continued, gesturing toward the closed door where the remaining Knights were being held, ?I suggest that you surrender.?

When no answer came, the assassin reached into one of the pouches of his belt, withdrawing a wickedly sharp blade. ?While I?ve always appreciated the simplicity of a blaster, there?s something to be said for making a statement,? the dark man stated. ?In fact, sometimes, even the most hardy of individuals can?t stand the sight of a little blood.?

Reaching out with one gloved hand, he pulled Padawan Elei to her feet by the braid that hung just behind her ear. Refusing to make a sound, despite the pain she was in, Elei rose as gracefully to her feet as she could. ?Unless you wish to see just what color blood this young lady has,? the assassin called, ?I suggest, Master Windu, that you show yourself.?

Realizing that his freedom came at too high of a price to pay, and despite what every field instinct he had told him, Mace stood straight, preparing to step into the splash of light in front of him. Just as he crossed the threshold separating the pool of light from the shadows, several things happened at once. Adi Gallia dropped from the ceiling

14. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Paddyjuan i guess that was how garen turned to the dark side
    Yup.. but only now, as he's realized that Palpatine is the Sith, does Obi-Wan realize that HE was the cause of Garren's fall...

Hmm... speaking of which... I think I have again failed to be consistent in a character's name spelling. I'll have to look if it is Garen or Garren... and correct as necessary. Thanks for pointing it out Paddyjuan! *whether or not you meant to* ;)

MCK I love the flashbacks.
    Thanks! Actually, I was a bit worried about them, since I really didn't want to have to rely on an overused plot device... but I think I really didn't have a choice in the end :(

Psych-Freak So that's what happened to Garen!
    I think between you and Paddyjuan that you two MUST have the right spelling... I must have the wrong one (Stupid X-Files Fic... (though Garren the werewolf is pretty cool :D ))

RRK ::does the happy dance::

LOL! I have the image of Snoopy doing his style dance as "the happy dance." [face_laugh]

PadawanKitara I was wondering how Garen wound up in that position (darksider).
    Okay, I'm definitely wrong in my spelling then :D

15. PaddyJuan

Nov 15, 2002
    Go Elei!!!

16. dparis

dparis Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    hahahahah....... cat....

17. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    **mouth drops in shock**

Oh dear lord...the pigs must be flying today...Not only did you post..YOU POSTED THREE TIMES...and what posts they were...

**falls over and dies**

Just kidding..its great to have you back Master...and I cant wait to read more...

PT-You MIA Padawan....:)

18. InTheSockOfTheNight

InTheSockOfTheNight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 31, 2002
    OMG! I have missed CK's posties! Sockie is very sorry...*offers ice cream as an apology*

I am very gladsies that you are back and updating again CK...I have missed reading this story very much! I started to re-read itsies a few days ago and am enjoying it as much (if not more) than I did the first time. You have some of the best developed/fleshed out characters I have readsies. It amazes me the talent of some of the writers on these boards and there abilities to bring charactersies to life!

19. PadawanKitara

Dec 31, 2001
    Padawans kick butt

20. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I've just started reading this story a week or two ago, and I'm really enjoying it. :) However, I just saw it on the main board, and realized just how long it really is ... more than 200 posts?! Yikes, I'm only on post 23, I think, somewhere around July of 2002. [face_shocked] However, I will finish this story, because it's really good! [face_determined] You write so much and so well! :D

21. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Just for the record... no, I'm not posting tonight. ;) I will post tomorrow sometime, however.

Cheers!

22. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Just for the record... no, I'm not posting tonight. ;) I will post tomorrow sometime, however.

Cheers!

23. double_post_monster

double_post_monster Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2003
    bwhahahahah.....

24. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Leaving N?erak, Yoda and the young Padawan in her wake, Bant hurried quickly back through the corridor heading away from the Chancellor?s office. Though she had felt a strong force pulling her toward the Senate Building, even from the distance of the Jedi Temple, it was nothing compared to the urge that was now compelling her. This pull seemed much more personal, and since she now knew that Obi-Wan and Anakin were in the Senate Complex, she was rather certain of what was happening.

When the bond with Anakin Skywalker had suddenly snapped into place while she was in the lift with Masters Billaba and Gallia, Bant had been somewhat surprised, but not overly concerned. She had always had a latent connection with her best friend?s Padawan, so she had assumed that, in his time of need, Anakin had simply drawn on that link. Now however, as the compelling urge continued to draw her onward, Bant realized things were much more complicated than she had assumed.

For instead of a simple friendship link, Bant Eerin and Anakin Skywalker now shared a Master/Apprentice bond.

Flashback to three and a half years ago

?To Naboo you must return,? the flickering image of Master Yoda declared, ?Needed there you are.? With that final cryptic remark, the missive from the Jedi Council ended.

Sighing and rubbing his hand over his tired eyes, Obi-Wan hit the replay button again. He had already listened to the message twice, but he still hadn?t found what he was looking for. On the fifth playback, he finally noticed the brief look of sympathy that Master Windu seemed to display as Master Yoda delivered the mission briefing. Freezing the image, Obi-Wan tried to bring it into better focus, but it revealed nothing more than the sorrowful look on the Jedi Master?s face.

?What is this all about?? Obi-Wan finally shouted aloud in frustration, slamming a hand down on the console and ending the playback as he did so. Though the mission briefing had been mostly complete, it lacked one important element: who exactly it was that he was looking for on Naboo. The Councilors had been typically efficient in describing the circumstances under which he would find the person, and had even described exactly what he was to do upon meeting with the individual, but none of the twelve had bothered to mention exactly who it was he was looking for. They had merely stated that he was in the best position to take the mission, and that his ?special knowledge of the situation? would prove invaluable.

Growling in frustration, the new Knight stalked out of the private communications room onboard the giant Liner. Though he preferred to use Republic shuttles, the Council had specifically ordered him to use public transportation, and to remain as inconspicuous as possible. He was not to go so far as to wear a disguise, but he was to remain within his cabin, only coming out once a day to receive a message from the Council.

?This is completely and utterly ridiculous,? he muttered to himself, being careful to keep his voice down, lest he disturb any of the slumbering passengers ensconced within the many cabins he passed on his way back to his own section of the ship. ?If the Council would just tell me who I am supposed to find, it would make my mission a lot easier. But, instead, they only see fit to mention that it is a ?darkened Jedi, who is most likely close to the point of no return.? How is that supposed to help me? For all I know, I could be hunting down Padawan N?erak!?

Laughing softly to himself, glad of the pressure release his own strange brand of sarcasm brought, Obi-Wan did not realize until much later just how close to the truth he had come in his errant wit.

End flashback

Even as quickly as she was moving, Depa was surprised at how far the Senator had managed to travel in the short time the two women were separated. In fact, the Jedi Master had only made it three-quarters of the way that Padmé had run when

25. CalaisKenobi

Jun 15, 2002
    Paddyjuan Well, Elei made me promise that her character would get to "kick some butt." What can I say.. otherwise she was threatening severe harm to my Obi-Wan cut out :(

sguid Yup, Cat it is.

Padawan the pigs must be flying today
    That's funny, I did see one flying over Lake Erie earlier today... :p

Sockie OMG! I have missed CK's posties! Sockie is very sorry...*offers ice cream as an apology*

*Scarfs ice cream, dripping it on keyboard* Thanks! :) And welcome back! :D

PadawanKitara Padawans kick butt
    Especially those named "Kitara?" :confused: :p

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Welcome to the thread :) (Wow, seems like forever since I've said that!) I'm glad that you are enjoying so far, and please stick around. The conclusion may not be so far off as it seems ;)

obaona Just for the record, you were right. (see double post for specification)

Stupid boards :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.