The Price of Sacrifice {Obi-Wan, Anakin -- Angst, AU} |COMPLETE 11-11-03|

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CalaisKenobi, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    ?Hack into the computer?? Obi-Wan asked, oblivious to the horrified expressions on the faces of the advisors, and the slightly exasperated look on Sri Edinb?s. ?If the westerners have the technology to hack into the eastern mainframe, than why have you not done so in the past??

?Because a certain young Dan?erian was supposed to keep her identity a secret,? came the disgusted reply from the western leader. It was only then that Obi-Wan took a close look at the young woman who stood in front of him. He had previously been surprised by her relative youth, but had not seen enough of her face to form an exact estimate of her age.

Up until this point, Narissa had been wearing the hood of the religious faction that was customary to her people. \Well, maybe not quite, HER people\ Obi-Wan amended his thought as he got a good look at her.

Like most humanoid races, Dan?erian?s closely resembled the archetypal human being. The only differences came in the small spots that traced down their throats from their pointed ears. With her hood up, it would have been impossible to distinguish Narissa as anything but human, and a western born human at that.

?Sri Edinb, you could not possibly expect me to allow this opportunity to cause the fall of the eastern forces to pass simply because we had reached a minor roadblock?? Narissa asked. ?I am willing to risk expatriation to assist Jedi Kenobi in removing the eastern leader and returning Navira to its previous existence.?

?And expatriated you will be, immediately,? interjected one of the advisors who had recovered from the shock of having one of their own revealed as an outsider.

?Now wait a minute,? Obi-Wan interrupted before the conversation could get out of hand. ?If Narissa has technology that can allow us to break into the mainframe computer, I suggest we make use of it. It is almost assured that the eastern leader will become aware of my presence on your planet if we wait too much longer, and then it will be too late to capture him. If I cannot capture the eastern leader, it is a fact that the western culture will fall within a ten-month and your people will be the one?s being expatriated.?

The advisors who had been preparing to demand the removal of Narissa from the encampment were struck dumb by Obi-Wan?s words. It was not often that the western civilization had found itself in need of outside assistance, and to ask for it twice in such a short period of time was both insulting and unheard of.

?We will take your assistance Narissa, and you need not fear being forced from your home,? Sri Edinb stated having finally regained his voice. ?It is time that the western civilization learned to accept help in whatever form it comes in, regardless of whether or not it comes from our own culture, or from those beyond. If we had accepted help in the beginning, we would have had the weapons and skills to fight the easterners without having to leave our civilization resting on such a razor edge of hope. I have accepted your advice for many months now Narissa, and my advisors have accepted you into their ranks. That has not changed with the revelation of your extraNaviran origins. We accept your help Narissa, and yours Jedi Kenobi, and together we will defeat the invaders.?

Narissa and Obi-Wan, after again pledging their support to the western cause, set out to infiltrate the eastern computer. Narissa had a ship that was well hidden within the mountainous regions of the western continent. It would take the two a few hours to reach the ship, and a few more to hack into the mainframe, but barring outside influence, Obi-Wan would be able to enter the eastern encampment before the Gungan shield was once again in place.

The two set out at a swift pace, hoping to gain as much time as possible in transit, to leave extra time for any problems that might occur while attempting to enter the foreign system. The fast pace left little air for conversation, but Obi-Wan hoped that once they reached the ship, there wo
  2. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, I lied. SORRY! :( I expected to put the action sequence into this post, but the story just wasn't ready for it yet! I promise it WILL be in the next post, and that post will be made either tonight, or tomorrow morning.
  3. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    I liked that twist about Narissa. She really reminds me of Amidala now. And I'm glad Anakin seems to be on his way to confronting the Council. Someone has to do something to help poor Obi-Wan.

Let's get that new post up real soon, okay? ;)
  4. Jedi_Nifet Jedi Master

star 4
    Intriguing

I wonder just who the eastern leader will turn out to be ?[face_plain]

So nice to see Bant taking care of Anakin while his Master away.

Action is coming :D Great!

Waiting impatiently for more

Nifet
  5. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    \I have a bad feeling about this?\ Obi-Wan thought as he approached the entrance to the eastern camp. As trite as the phrase may have become, he could think of only two other situations where it had been so applicable; on a transport some 16 or so years ago as he and his Master approached Melida\Daan and four years ago upon boarding the Trade Federation ship to commence negotiations. Both experiences had changed him immensely, and had also nearly cost him his life. \Hopefully this time I will not be facing down any Sith\ the Jedi consoled himself, as he stepped into the line of personnel waiting to enter the gates.

Obi-Wan and Narissa had made good time getting to the camp. The day was only settling into late afternoon when he found a suitable waiting place for Narissa. From the chosen vantage point, she was able to see down into the camp, and would be able to see his signal to launch her distraction. After leaving her ensconced on the tree-shrouded hill, he had circled around to approach the gate from the opposite direction.

Obi-Wan had removed his robe, outer tunic and utility belt, leaving his inner tunic untucked and hanging loose over his leggings. Although the loose tunic left him at a disadvantage if he were forced to actually combat the eastern leader, it allowed him to blend well with the other easterners surrounding him. The hanging fabric also worked well to conceal the lightsaber tucked into the back of his leggings.

As the line of waiting easterners drew closer and closer to the gate, Obi-Wan pulled the Force closer and closer to him. He would need to conceal his Force signature as much as possible if he were to have any hope of taking the eastern leader unaware.

\Of course, this would be much easier if I had any idea of who this eastern leader is\ Obi-Wan thought to himself. \I am not sure exactly what to expect, but if Xanatos is any example of the stealth and aggression of a fallen Jedi, I am certainly not taking any chances.\ With thoughts of his Master?s former apprentice and his evil deeds foremost on his mind, Obi-Wan stepped forward and became Ikenic Norr.

From her vantage point on the hill, Narissa watched as Obi-Wan entered the camp with no problem. \At least they didn?t detect the hacking then?\ Narissa breathed a sigh of relief. She hadn?t really expected the easterners to detect her presence in their system, but she was relieved none-the-less to see the Jedi waved through the entrance as if he really was Norr.

Narissa continued to watch as Obi-Wan passed through the set of gates and headed off in the direction of the kitchen. To head in any other direction may have proven suspicious to any astute guards or sentries. Once he was sure he was out of the view of the gatekeepers, Narissa knew Obi-Wan would begin his search for the eastern leader.

She still was unsure how Obi-Wan planned on discovering the identity of the leader, or how he was so certain he would not make a mistake and grab the wrong person. If the eastern encampment was anything like the westerners, there were certain to be decoys and other stumbling blocks to anyone intent on a kidnapping.

\Perhaps he intends to use that ?Force thinga majigy? that the Jedi are supposed to have\ Narissa wondered. She had been nervous when it became apparent that she would be the one to meet the Jedi upon his arrival to Navira. Throughout her travel of the galaxy, she had never actually come across a Jedi, but had heard rumors of their powers. She was afraid that he would be able to read her mind and determine that she was an outsider the instant he saw her. His interested expression when her hood had snagged on a tree during the hike to the western base had done nothing to assure her.

She had been mildly surprised when he had not said anything more to her when she made it apparent she did not wish to speak with him unless necessary. Then, when he had come to her defense in front of Sri Edinb and his ministers, she had truly been dumbfounded. This Jedi wa
  6. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry about the cliffhanger, I promise I will have more posts up soon (hopefully at least two more tonight). Also, as a side note, if anyone's interested I posted a short JA humor story when I was facing writer's block. Its called The REVENGE of Obi-Wan and isn't very long. Thanks for all who are reading so far :)

7. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    [face_shocked]

You're an evil person, CalaisKenobi, you know that? At least you post very frequently.

More! ;)
  8. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    And here I thought it was the writer's who were supposed to make the reader/reviewers laugh? Hmm.. must of missed that little notation somewhere

:Roots frantically through papers on desk:

Ahh, yes here it is...

"When reviewers make the writer laugh, posts happen more frequently."

More posts soon!
  9. Enigma_Jade Jedi Knight

star 2
    ::stares at the screen:: Wow, Calais! You are officially now one of the coolest writers on the board! (Hey, I'm here, aren't I?) ;)

This story is amazing! I absolutely have to know what's happening next! Please post more soon! I will be checking back frequently!

EJ :D
  10. Larkonna Jedi Knight

star 2
    This is well-written! I love the dialogue that brings the characters to life!
  11. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Please post more! I'm checking constantly. I love this story! :D
  12. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for all the great comments! It is definitely more of an incentive to write when I know there are people out there interested in what I am working on :)

Narissa had been sitting on the ground, leaning against a tree and watching the activity of the eastern camp when the Gungan shields suddenly sprang into action.

She watched astounded as the shields slammed into place, leaving many of the easterners stranded outside of the base. The guards had apparently received some kind of warning and had managed to be standing within the shielded area when the grid activated. As for the rest of the easterners, they were obviously upset at being left out for the night.

\Its not even close to nightfall yet\ Narissa thought. \And I have never known the easterners to leave people outside of their camp overnight. Something must have happened to Obi-Wan\

As if to confirm her thoughts, she saw a figure stealth into the tent she had just witnessed Obi-Wan enter. \I?ve got to warn him somehow!\ She thought, catching herself just before she would have risen to her feet.

To stand up now, with so much activity outside the camp, would surely catch the attention of the angered easterners milling about the entrance. Her position had been a great one to hide in when everyone was busy with the entrance and exit procedures of the camp, but with the frenzied mob below her now spinning out in all directions, she did not want to risk being identified as a westerner.

The only thing for Narissa to do was to hold her position and try to make herself as invisible as possible. Pulling some of the branches and leaves around to cover her as much as possible, Narissa would not even consider abandoning Obi-Wan and returning to the western encampment.

\I may not be able to move closer to warn him now, but I am most certainly not going to leave him, Jedi or no Jedi!\

Watching the Jedi collapse into the arms of Valone, Ellana was filled with a sense of disgust. The eastern faction may have been fighting with the westerners for centuries, and this Jedi may have been aiding the enemy, but to lure him into the camp in such a manner and to drug him just seemed dishonorable. Ellana may have been a warrior, but she still had a strong moral code. She preferred to fight face to face, and not in this cloak and dagger manner that her Master insisted upon.

?Having second thoughts Ellana?? Asked Valone with a definitive hint of malice.

?Of course not. Jedi deserve nothing but the hatred and scorn their dishonorable activities throughout the galaxy have garnered them,? Ellana answered in a practiced statement.

She may have had misgivings about their treatment of the Knight, but she was not stupid enough to reveal them. She had spent the majority of her young life under the guidance of her Master and knew better than to show any sympathy for the Jedi.

?That is good Ellana, I would hate for you to have to share in his treatment,? Valone answered, reaching across the unconscious Jedi to reclaim his cloak from his servant. ?Go prepare my personal transport. We will need to move the Jedi as soon as possible. The shields have been raised against any possible attack, but I won?t risk losing my prize so soon. He must be moved before nightfall.?

Obi-Wan may have been surprised by the sudden influx of the sedative into his system, but his Jedi reflexes enabled him to set the Force to work neutralizing the chemicals before he lost consciousness.
    His attacker may have given him enough sedative to knock out a Rancor for a week, but the Force would still be able to neutralize it allowing him to wake much sooner than his attacker anticipated.

As his captors loaded his unconscious body unto a transport, he was already coming around.

From her place among the trees, Narissa watched as the figure in black and the woman with the long
  13. TrinityDay Jedi Knight

star 2
    *claps hands gleefully*

Look at all these posts! How ever have you managed to write so many of them in such a short period of time. You're spoiling us, you know, with such rapid updates.

Oh well. I'm not complaining. I'm quite enjoying this story and am looking forward to more.
  14. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    I love the fact that you post so often. :D Are we going to see things from Ani's perspective soon?
  15. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan had regained consciousness, but had not yet opened his eyes. He stretched out with the Force first, trying to get a feel for his surroundings before alerting his captors to his newly alert state. Through the Force he could feel the pounding hatred of the figure in the right hand seat of the transport. The driver, though, radiated an aura of discomfort and concern.

Behind him he could feel the anger and confusion of the easterners who were still being kept from entering the camp. Farther ahead he could feel the faint aura of Narissa, and could feel her preparing for something. Her emotions were shut away and he could only read a sense of tension from her. Realizing that if he didn?t make a move soon, Narissa could be hurt, Obi-Wan decided to go with his initial plan.

This time though, instead of attacking the dark figure that obviously had a great deal of mental power; he would force the servant to sleep.

It was apparent that the dark Force signature he held felt radiating off of her previously had been a projection of the real leader, rather than an actual reading of any Force sensitivity in the woman. Putting his plan to action, Obi-Wan sat up with Force speed from the back seat, placing a hand on the temple of the driver.

Immediately she slumped over the steering column and was out. The skimmer swerved a bit, but then slowed and came to a stop. In the meantime, Obi-Wan had reached for his lightsaber with his other hand, intending to bring it up to the throat of the leader to subdue him. Before he could ignite his ?saber, the dark figure had jumped from the side of the slowing transport and had rolled to his feet, igniting a blood red lightsaber as he stood up.

?Now, now such an experienced Jedi as the sith-slayer Obi-Wan Kenobi should know better than to draw his lightsaber on an unarmed man. Doesn?t your Jedi code have something to say about only drawing your ?saber to an armed offense? I believe you may be turning to the darkside, young one,? the cloaked figure stated as he watched Obi-Wan exit the transport to face him.

?You should know Valone, you are the one that instructed my year-group in the Jedi Code,? Obi-Wan countered as he took a position facing the dark Jedi, but without the hazard of the transport at his back.

If Valone were truly as skilled as the young Knight remembered, he would need as much room to maneuver as possible.

?Ahh, so the darling of the temple remembers me after all,? Valone hissed as he circled to a better position. He had hoped to trap the Jedi between the transport and himself, but apparently Kenobi had learned something of strategy in Valone?s 20-year absence from Coruscant.

?Of course I remember you, it is difficult to forget the only man Qui-Gon Jinn ever truly contemplated killing,? Obi-Wan responded as he watched Valone circling around slowly to his left side.

\Ahh, so he remembers I used to have a weak left-side defense. Unfortunately for him, Master Jinn noticed it to.\ Learning to fight with his right hand tied behind his back had more than made up for any deficiencies Obi-Wan had once had.

?Well if nothing else, I always said Jinn had a knack for knowing who to watch out for. I guess that little ?situation? on Naboo proved me wrong,? Valone said as he suddenly struck out at Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan easily countered the strike, but decided to remain on the defensive. He was hoping for an opportunity to disarm Valone so he could capture him and return him to Coruscant, but he knew that he would have a tough time finding a hole in Valone?s defense.

Of all the Jedi ever trained in the past fifty years, only Valone had ever come close to besting Qui-Gon Jinn. Obi-Wan?s Master had been acknowledged by one and all as the greatest swordsman of the order. It was only upon Qui-Gon?s death that the mantle was passed to another: Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Narissa was crouched behind a tree, preparing to swing the club-like branch she had collected at the driver of the open
  16. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess I write so quickly 'cause I'm just as anxious as ya'll to see what Obi-Wan's gonna do next :)

No Anakin POV this time, but soon, I promise soon... (evil giggle) [face_devil]
  17. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    You really are spoiling us with all these quick updates. Not that I'm complaining or anything; I hate waiting around for a new post for days after a cliffhanger.

That was a great post. Narissa is my kind of woman. The damsel in distress rescues the white knight? Awesome! :D
  18. Jee-dai Jedi Knight

star 3
    Really nice story here, better than what the title implies.
  19. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
  20. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm.. I never really thought about it Jee-Dai. Thanks for bringing it to my attention

Anyone got a better idea for a title? I am really bad at coming up with titles and summaries, so if anyone can come up with something better that'd be just great :)

BTW: If anyone's interested I posted another Humor story "Qui-Gon's Discovery" while taking a break from The Price of Sacrifice. It's short, but hopefully somewhat humorous.

21. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm addicted. I need more.
  22. sheleigh Jedi Master

star 4
    eep! You left it... there?! I like the frequent posts... definitely good.

Seriously, your story is great, and extremely exciting...

Trying to patiently wait for more. :)
  23. Enigma_Jade Jedi Knight

star 2
    ::does happy dances:: I love this story! :D

I dare not venture into the realm of titles. . .they are the bane of my existance. I like the once you've got, personally. Then again, who am I to comment?? ;)

Please post more soon!

EJ
  24. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Now look what all your quick posting has done; I expect a new one every time I log on. ;)

UP!
  25. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    After finishing his classes for the day, Anakin decided to visit the transport bay again. Master Bant had a duty shift in the Healer?s ward, and Anakin was bored. He knew that if Obi-Wan had been home, he would have been told to meditate or at least work on katas, but what Obi-Wan didn?t know, Obi-Wan couldn?t complain about.

Anakin had been working on restoring the sub light engines on one of the temple?s many transports. Usually he worked on one vehicle at a time, restoring it as much as possible before moving on to the next one.

The Temple mechanics had initially been surprised that a future Jedi would deign to spend time with them, but once seeing Anakin?s aptitude and dedication to anything mechanical, they welcomed him into their ranks.

As he entered the transport bay, Anakin said a quick hello to the mechanics on duty, and then went to the closet where he kept his coveralls and tool kit. The tool kit had been a gift from his Master on his first anniversary of being a Padawan. Traditionally a Master gave their Padawan something that would assist the apprentice in becoming a better Jedi.

Obi-Wan had defended his rather odd choice of gift by saying that anything that got Anakin out of their quarters once in awhile was an asset not only to the training of the Padawan, but also to the temperament of the Master.

Once he had donned the coveralls, Anakin was ready to get to work. Since the majority of the repair work took place under the transport, he could remain in the transport bay for hours with hardly any notice.

He had been working for a little over two hours, when he heard a call come in. It wasn?t unusual for the transport bay to get calls from the Council to prepare a ship for departure, but it was unusual to receive calls from Knights in the field. Normally, the Knights would report first to the Council, and the Council would make the call. For a Knight to request transport, meant that he or she must be seriously injured or in need of immediate assistance.

Using the Force to augment his hearing as unobtrusively as possible, Anakin listened in on the call. Maybe it was the Council calling for a ship to pick his Master up on Malastare. Instead of the usual voice of Master Windu however, Anakin heard the voice of a woman calling for a transport with a medical bay to report to Navira.

\That?s odd,\ Anakin thought \I had no idea Navira had joined the Republic.\ Jedi were the peacekeepers and negotiators of the Galactic Republic, and as such their activities were usually confined to member systems. \Last I knew Navira was in the middle of a massive civil war.\

Extending his Force sense again, Anakin tuned into the conversation once more. He was able to hear the request that the transport also have a confinement field for a Force sensitive installed, but the caller signed off before he was able to catch any more information. As he prepared to begin working once more on his transport, Anakin heard Lo?kai being dispatched for the flight. Lo?kai was one of the best pilots the Temple had. He had served for many years, and had survived more dangerous flights than most pilots saw in a lifetime.

\Whatever is happening on Navira, it must be serious\ Anakin thought, as he once again began the task of realigning the spanner coils.

Narissa ended her comm. call to the Jedi Temple just as Obi-Wan finished pulling his belt and robe back on. Narissa had used all the remaining Bacta on her ship to help patch up the wound across his shoulders, but she knew that he would need more medical attention than she had to offer.

Obi-Wan was already using too much energy keeping Valone unconscious to spare any to assist in the healing. He had attempted to raise his body temperature enough for the Bacta to work at maximum efficiency, but he was too drained. With no other options, he had struggled back into his outer tunic and robes despite the pain the movement caused.

After Narissa had knocked Valone unconscious, Obi-Wan had rein
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.