The Price of Sacrifice {Obi-Wan, Anakin -- Angst, AU} |COMPLETE 11-11-03|

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CalaisKenobi, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nifet Jedi Master

star 4
    WOW :D Exciting fight!

The only problem - as soon as I manage to read and prepare a reply I see a new post (but that's my problem, right? :D :D )

The sooner the better!
  2. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
  3. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
  4. sheleigh Jedi Master

star 4
  5. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmm. So Valone was an old rival of Qui-Gon? Most intriguing... ;)

The story of Valone's plans to kill Obi-Wan and his role in Qui-Gon's reluctance to take the boy as his Padawan was so cool. And it helps redeem Qui-Gon a bit, but I still want to know how he's involved with this "bargain"!

Post more and soon! :D
  6. Mysticshill Jedi Knight

star 1
    I just found this and I am most impressed. I can't wait to find out about the details of the arrangement between the Council and Obi-Wan. I have to say this is the first time I have disliked Yoda :(. He seems so cold. Anyway, please post again soon!
  7. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    I just found this as well. Great Story! I have been rivited to my seat :)
  8. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Sorry this post is so late, I went to see THE SUM OF ALL FEARS today. Good movie, but I can't wait for K19. Harrison Ford and Liam Neeson... 2 Star Wars alum for the price of one! Sweet!

Anyways, thanks to everyone reading along with this!

babybantha: this post should answer (and create :) ) some more questions about Valone... he he he

Jedi_Nifet: Thanks for the vote of confidence on the fight. I was worried about writing it, since I know NOTHING about sword fighting other than the point is to hit each other ;)

Mysticshill: Welcome! Hopefully Yoda will look a little less heinous the more the plot develops. He may have good intentions, but I think that old saying will come into play here (The road to...)

PadawanKitara: Thanks for checking out my story too! The more the merrier!

And of course thanks to TrinityDay, Nikita, TheFallen, Arwen-Jade_Kenobi, TheSwedishJedi, Obaona, Sheleigh, Enigma_Jade, Jee-Dai, and Larkonna. Thanks for reading and commenting... ya'll are the reason I'm posting so quickly :)

And now: ON TO THE POST!!!
  9. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Lo?kai was never one to refuse a mission. It wasn?t because he thought he was too great of a pilot to die (as his wife always accused him) but rather it was his sense of duty. Lo?kai knew that if the Temple was asking him to fly into a dangerous area, it was because someone needed help. Whether it was to drop off a Jedi peacekeeper, supply an outpost, or retrieve an injured Knight, Lo?kai could always be counted on to do his job. In his many years as a Temple pilot, he had never hesitated to carry out his duty.

\Well I guess we can count this for the record books\ Lo?kai thought as he was informed of his newest mission.

He had been away from the Temple when the Council requested a pilot to drop a Jedi off on Navira, otherwise he would have taken that run without a second thought. This however, was an entirely different situation.

\Not only are they expecting me to fly into a war zone to collect some injured Jedi with his dangerous prisoner, but then they tell me the landing zone ain?t gonna be no picnic park!\

The Council, upon realizing they had not been consulted prior to the flight request, had ordered a review of the transmission. It was during the review, that Master Koth noticed the repeating band of static across the bottom of the holoimage. Upon further study, it was determined that the band was not static, but rather was indicative of a hijacked transmission. The call may have originated with the Knight, but the Temple had not received it directly. Instead, a third party had intercepted the transmission, downloading it before sending it on its way once more.

Who the third party was comprised of was uncertain. But the fact remained that the classified pickup zone had been compromised. \I wouldn?t wanta trade places with that Jedi on Navira for all the credits on Coruscant\ Lo?kai thought as he finished prepping his transport \?Cause sure as shooting, he?s gonna have company ?fore I can get there.\

As they sat silently in the cavern, Obi-Wan reviewed the mission in his head. He felt as if he was missing something key to the whole plot, but his exhaustion and injury were preventing him from discovering what it was. If so much of his energy hadn?t been expended to keep Valone unconscious, he would have attempted a light meditation to help him discover what he was missing.

Almost as if she had read his mind, Narissa spoke for the first time in several hours. ?We?re missing something here,? she said as she rose from her platform on the other side of the cave to approach the Jedi.

?Why would Valone waste his time and resources on such a backwater planet as Navira? It?s obvious that he wanted revenge, but how could he possibly have known that you were going to be the Jedi sent here? His plan has been in play for months, he must?ve somehow known you would be the one your Council would send.?

?Not only that, but he knew what I would have to do to enter the eastern encampment. He knew we hacked into the system!? Obi-Wan exclaimed as his mind began reeling with the questions Narissa was introducing.

?And if he knew we were going to hack into the system, than he knew about my ship. And if he knew about my ship, than chances are, the easterners know about it. And that means they would have been alert to any transmissions coming to or from this location,? Narissa continued.

As the impact of her words suddenly hit him, Obi-Wan jumped up from where he had still been sitting on the wall.

?Which means, we?re about to have company.? As if his words had acted as a summons, the sound of speeder engines began to echo into the cavern.

Of all the locations in the Jedi Temple, only the meditative gardens came close to the serenity that usually exuded from the Council chambers. Even when the Council was debriefing a Knight from a tragically failed mission, the members never revealed their emotions. Jedi were trained almost from birth to control emotion, and the Councilor
  10. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmm, seems I've got another post in my head.. ahh well, maybe ya'll won't complain too much ;)
  11. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Obi-Wan really couldn?t afford to spare the Force energy, but he was given no other choice. With the damage to his shoulders, he would not be able to do more than assist Narissa in moving Valone. As for the young servant woman, she would be left behind to meet up again with her fellow easterners. Obi-Wan had used such a strong Force compulsion on her previously that only another Jedi would have been able to wake her. Unwilling to leave the woman in a coma, even if she had been working for his nemesis, Obi-Wan used some of his quickly diminishing reserves to lighten the suggestion.

When they had heard the approaching speeders, Narissa and Obi-Wan had immediately sprung into action. They would not have time to make it outside of the cavern and to a hiding place, but Narissa was nothing if not an efficient explorer. Upon first discovering the cave, she had investigated it thoroughly before moving her ship into it. This particular cavern had connections to at least two other caves leading to the surface. They would have to move quickly, but at least they weren?t trapped.

Leading the way, with the figure of Valone stretched between the two, Narissa headed first towards the left exit. She insisted that it was the shortest exit to the surface, and would also be the easiest for their unusual portage. Given little option, Obi-Wan trailed behind, supporting as much of the dark Jedi?s weight as possible with his damaged shoulders.

As the floor beneath them became more and more vertical, Obi-Wan was left with more and more of the weight of Valone. Withstanding the pain as long as possible, Obi-Wan was soon calling even more on the Force to assist him with his burden. \When I get back to Coruscant, I am not leaving again. If the Council doesn?t like it, than they can just FIRE me\

Focusing his attention on any possible pursuit, it took a moment before Obi-Wan noticed they had stopped. ?Is there a problem?? He asked, hoping beyond hope that Narissa was merely taking the time to make sure their exit hadn?t been discovered.

?Umm, not really, unless you count the fact that there is some kind of large ship waiting just outside for us,? Narissa said with more than a hint of apprehension in her tone.

Anakin spent several more hours in the transport bay before realizing it was time to meet Master Bant for dinner. ?Sith! I?m not even going to have time to shower!? Anakin grumbled as he ran his oily hands through his short hair. \Maybe Master Bant won?t notice\ he thought, knowing how unlikely the possibility of that happening was.

Quickly removing his coveralls and returning his tool kit to the closet, Anakin dashed out of the transport bay. \If my Master finds out I spent so much time in the transport bay he is going to ban me from it for several weeks!\ Anakin thought morosely as he walked as quickly as possible to his quarters.

\Even if Master Bant can be persuaded not to tell him, SHE is going to ban me at least until he gets back!\ With a sigh, Anakin palmed open the door to the rooms he shared with his Master, knowing Master Bant waited less than patiently inside. \Time to face the music?\

As Lo?kai pulled out of hyperspace above the planet of Navira, he began to run topographical scans of the area he had received coordinates for. He had taken a more direct route to Navira than the Council probably would have appreciated (especially when they got the calls from the Coruscant airspace officials), but Lo?kai figured that even the Jedi Council would understand the need for haste in this case.

\Now, if I was a Jedi Knight and was being boxed in like a womprat in a trap, where would I go?\ Lo?kai studied the topographical maps briefly, before switching to the geological layout. Lo?kai could easily pick out the network of caverns surrounding the coordinates he had been given. The nearest exit was almost exactly on the dot where the landing zone had been scheduled.

\Alright, so I know w
  12. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    I, for one, will never complain about your frequent posts. Especially when they're as good as this one! :)

But you were right about there being more questions now. There always are more questions when Palpatine's involved. Grrr...

Looking forward to you clearing them up. But hopefully not too soon (I don't want this story to end!). :D
  13. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a small favor to ask... I wrote another small story today (I always seem to do three posts of POS and than a short story for some reason :) ) and it is in serious need of revision. I didn't want to post such a weak story, but I couldn't get the idea out of my head, nor could I think of how to make it better. If anyone gets a chance to hop over here and advise, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

PS Thanks babybantha for reviewing all of my stories so far. You are so great!
  14. red rose knight Force Ghost

star 4
    What an intriguing premise. Wow! This is great writing. :) Then you are spoiling us with all these wonderful posts.

Of course, why do I think bad news lies in Obi-Wan and Narissa's apparent salvation?
  15. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks red_rose_knight. :)

FYI: I am going to be in Cleveland for the next few days, which means I will be on my slower internet connection. Hopefully I will still be able to post, if not I will keep writing and post a lot when I get back!

Thanks everyone! :)
  16. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    A wonderful two chapters. I'll head over to check out the humor fic that just popped up.
  17. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Leaving? :_| Didn't you sign that contract that says you can't leave in the middle of a story? 8-}
  18. Jedi_Knight_Hunter Jedi Master

star 4
    you can't leave I just got addicted to this story :)
  19. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Lo?kai had planned on landing just long enough to pick up the Jedi Knight and prisoner, before immediately taking off again. He was not willing to risk having his ship on the ground for any length of time.

Unfortunately, the Jedi Knight in question had other ideas. The Jedi wished to use the ship?s shuttle to transport the woman back to some camp, leaving Lo?kai to watch the unconscious man currently sequestered in the Force shielded hold.

?Ain?t no way I?m just gonna stay here like some sitting duck!? The pilot protested upon hearing the Knight?s plan. ?Why don?t I just fly you over to that camp, and then we can take right off for Coruscant??

?The shuttle is small enough and maneuverable enough to make it to the encampment without having to rise above the tree level. If we took your ship, the eastern encampment would be able to lock onto our position and get an exact location of the western base. I will not risk innocent lives just to spare your transport a scratch or two!? The Knight had replied irritably before staving off any further argument by simply taking the shuttle and leaving.

\Dang Jedi, think they?re invincible or something\ the pilot grumbled, as he settled in his chair to keep a close eye on his sensors.

Narissa insisted on piloting the shuttle once she saw the pain it caused Obi-Wan to try to move his arms. She knew the Knight had to be suffering immensely, but other than a slight tightness around his eyes, and his reluctance to move his arms or hands more than absolutely necessary, she saw no signs of his difficulty.

As Narissa deftly piloted the shuttle in and around the obstacles lining their path, Obi-Wan sat silently in the co-pilot?s seat. He knew his pain and fatigue had completely exhausted him when he had almost agreed to Lo?kai?s request to fly them to the western base. It would have been so much easier to just lie back in the med bay and allow the pilot to make the short flight to the base, and then he could have been on his way back to Coruscant.

But like the true Jedi he was, Obi-Wan Kenobi could no more put his comfort before another than he could grow a tail and learn to live in the trees. \Well at least my sense of humor is still intact? well, actually, I guess that was pretty lame\ Obi-Wan knew he was really in trouble when his sense of sarcasm deserted him.

Even amidst a raging war, Obi-Wan always had a ready quip. \When I get back to the Temple, it will take the entire Council and at least a Sith Lord or two to drag me out of my quarters\

Obi-Wan stopped himself before he could become too lost in thoughts of the comforts awaiting him on Coruscant. He still had work to do, and until the transport was safely back at the Temple, and Valone in the hands of the Council he couldn?t afford to let his attention slip.

If he had learned anything from his years as Qui-Gon?s apprentice, it was that a mission that appeared to be at an end could quickly escalate once more into a dangerous operation. The thirteen years with Master Jinn had taught him most painfully to keep his attention on the ?here and now.?

It was full night by the time Obi-Wan and Narissa arrived at the western base. Sri Edinb was delighted to hear of the success of their mission, and immediately appointed Narissa as his top advisor. If there had remained any doubt of her welcome to the western society with her extraNaviran roots, the promotion had completely quelled them. Narissa had more than earned such an important position, and Obi-Wan was glad to see her bravery rewarded.

After giving the westerners a detailed description of all he had observed while in the eastern base, Obi-Wan gave his farewells to the western leader and his staff of advisors. Taking his leave of the base, Obi-Wan was not surprised to see Narissa following him to the shuttle.

?I wish you well Jedi Kenobi, and hope that you recover sufficiently from all of your wounds,? Narissa said, once again rev
  20. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Obi-Wan Kenobi...a true Jedi to the end. I really wanted him to just get on that ship and get the hell out of there, but I knew he wouldn't. Although, it looks like his decision might cost him Valone. Uh-oh... [face_devil]

Good post. Just don't leave us hanging there for too long! ;)
  21. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    As Obi-Wan approached the transport, he used what was left of his Force reserves to scan the ship. Even though he was certain Valone would still be unconscious, he wasn?t willing to risk being mistaken. Obi-Wan?s Force sense first detected the null area towards the back of the ship where the shielded cargo hold lay. Further to the front of the ship was the beacon of Living Force that he had come to recognize as Lo?kai.

Other than the pilot, he could feel no other life aboard the ship. With Valone locked in the Force deadened area, he would not be able to determine if the man was still unconscious until he boarded the ship and checked with his other senses. After determining that the ship was as secure as when he had left it, and that the eastern forces were still swarming only in the area of the original landing zone, Obi-Wan flew the shuttle into the docking bay.

After latching the shuttle to the deck with gravclaws, Obi-Wan began his trek to the front of the transport. He planned on stopping first at the cargo hold to make sure that Valone was still out, before making his way forward to notify Lo?kai to take off. As he approached the hold, Obi-Wan again stretched out with the Force. His reserves were rapidly dwindling, but enough remained to tell him that there was no danger awaiting him. Pressing the palm lock on the door, Obi-Wan entered expecting to see Valone stretched out on the cot where he and Narissa had left him. Instead, the young Knight found the cot empty.

Lo?kai had finally decided it was time to retrieve the Jedi when the shuttle appeared on his sensors. Opening the docking bay ramp so that the Knight could load the shuttle, Lo?kai then left the cockpit to assist Obi-Wan and to hopefully get the order to take off.

As he approached the back of the ship, Lo?kai was distracted by a noise from the cargo hold. Assuming the Jedi must have already completed docking procedures and gone to check on the prisoner, Lo?kai changed direction. Arriving at the hold, the pilot was surprised to see the door to the cargo hold open. Slowing his pace, and checking to make sure his ever-present blaster was in place, Lo?kai snuck up to the open doorway.

Deciding to risk a brief look inside, Lo?kai pulled his blaster from the holster and swung around, quickly ducking into the open hold. The pilot scanned the room before his attention was drawn to the far corner. Approaching cautiously, with his blaster at the ready, Lo?kai was surprised to find the form of Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi locked into combat with the now conscious Valone.

Preparing to use his blaster as a weight, the pilot drew back his arm to strike a blow to the head of the dark Jedi. Before he could complete his swing, Lo?kai was interrupted by the sudden cry from Obi-Wan. ?Lo?kai, DON?T!?

Lo?kai tried to stop his motion before the blaster made contact with Valone?s temple, but the call had come too late. Without a sound, the dark Jedi crumpled once more to the cargo hold floor.

Once Narissa had seen Obi-Wan off, she returned to the tent of Sri Edinb. The eastern leader was out of commission, and now was the time for the western forces to muster an attack. The eastern forces would be confused with the loss of their leader, and would keep the Gungan shields down until they had rescued their kidnapped commander.

Offering a quick prayer for the safety of the Jedi Knight who had abruptly entered her life, only to leave just as suddenly, Narissa began the task of planning the first major offensive the western forces had undertaken in many months.

From his position beside the laden cot, Lo?Kai assisted Obi-Wan in repairing the damage to the dark Jedi?s temple where the pilot?s blaster had struck. Lo?kai had almost refused to help treat the prisoner, but one look from the Jedi was enough to insure his assistance. Lo?kai had never seen a Jedi angry before, and one look at the
  22. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow, you are amazing, Calais! I was only kidding when I said to hurry up. [face_blush]

I was really taken by surprise by this new development. I assumed that Valone was the Big Bad Guy of this story. Hmmm...that teaches me to assume things so quickly.

Great post! <insert unnecessary plea for faster posts> ;)
  23. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    :CalaisKenobi lies slumped over her keyboard:

I promised at least two posts a day, and I missed the 12:00 am TF.N timeline by a few minutes. In apology... here's one more post.

:CalaisKenobi enters unconsciousness, as it is now 4:24 am and she has to wake early:
  24. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    On a dark balcony overlooking most of the Jedi Temple, a figure cloaked entirely in black cursed loudly. \A few minutes more and I would?ve had him\

A Sith Lord was nothing if not patient however. He knew there would be another opportunity, he need only contact his apprentice and the deed would be done.

As the transport exited the atmosphere of Navira, Obi-Wan breathed a sigh of relief. His mission was not entirely complete, he still had to deliver Valone to the Jedi Council, but at least he was in route back to Coruscant.

Watching the planet as it grew smaller and smaller in the view port, Obi-Wan was almost tempted to seek a vision of the future of Navira from the Force. Unfortunately, he had asked too much of his over-fatigued mind and body, and all of his remaining energy would be needed to keep him awake until he reached the capital planet of the Republic.

Even without the Force to guide his vision, Obi-Wan was certain that Navira would soon be entering a time of peace. The two civilizations of the planet may have been accustomed to war, but now that they realized the hazards the larger galaxy held in store for them, the factions would have no choice but to reconcile. And with such a wise young woman as Narissa to help guide them, Obi-Wan was sure that Navira would soon be experiencing peace.

Taking the same path back to Coruscant that he had taken away from it, Lo?kai knew that the transport would arrive at the Temple within only a few hours. The pilot had justified the shortened trip with the need to get the young Jedi Knight some medical attention, but in reality he just wanted to get the darkened Jedi off his transport.

He would never admit it, but upon realizing how close Valone had come to escaping without even attracting the notice of the usually vigilant pilot had scared Lo?kai. He was definitely looking forward to some downtime on Coruscant with his wife.

Maybe his wife was right, and it was time for him to start refusing some of the more hazardous missions that the Jedi Temple requested of its pilots.

Once the transport had exited hyperspace, Obi-Wan contacted the Temple to notify them of his imminent arrival. He requested that several Knights meet him at the docking platform, and that they bring a Force suppression hypospray. Normally, such a hypospray would only have been used when a Jedi suffered from a severe blow to the head and was unable to control his use of the Force. It was a rare occurrence, but when a Jedi lost control, it could be a dangerous situation. As such, the Healer?s always kept several of the hyposprays in stock in case they were needed.

When the transport had finally docked at the Temple, Obi-Wan was relieved to see that his request had been carried out, and several Knights awaited him. He was also surprised to see Healer Ravenna among the waiting Jedi.

?Master Ravenna, it is a pleasure to see you again,? Obi-Wan said as he exited the transport. He motioned for the Knights to enter the ship to secure the prisoner as he stepped off of the boarding ramp. ?Will you be administering the hypospray to our illustrious guest?? Obi-Wan asked with a smile.

?Actually, I am here to insure that a certain Knight receives medical treatment. But as long as I am here, I guess I can administer a hypospray,? Healer Ravenna stated. ?I?d better make that two?? she continued as she got a better look at the exhausted Jedi that stood facing her.

?At this point,? Obi-Wan responded ?I don?t think I would even argue with you if you tried.?

?Well then, let me just administer this to your ?guest? and then perhaps I could escort you as you pay a visit to a bacta tank,? Ravenna admonished, stepping around Obi-Wan to board the transport.

Following the Healer back aboard the ship, Obi-Wan didn?t even bother to oppose Master Ravenna?s orders. In all actuality he would prefer to visit the Healer?s first,
  25. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    The plot thickens! Please, write more (still, I suppose you should sleep . . .) :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.