The Price of Sacrifice {Obi-Wan, Anakin -- Angst, AU} |COMPLETE 11-11-03|

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CalaisKenobi, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    Eep! I missed 3 posts! But oh was it fun to read them in bulk. :D Keep up the great job!
  2. Halcyon03 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I just finished a marathon read of this. Great job so far! And you
    post so quickly! You got another reader!

:D~~~~~~ :D ~~~~~~ :D
  3. red rose knight Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow. This plot keeps getting more twisted and complex every post. Keep up the good work!

Can't wait for the next post. :)
  4. Enigma_Jade Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great job, Calais! This story is coming along wonderfully! 4:24am?!? Are you insane? I certainly admire your dedication, but, hey, when sleep is needed. . . You're spoiling us with two posts a day! ;) I'm sure I can speak for all of us when we say we'll understand if you can't make that strenuous schedule?

Loving every minute of this story!

EJ
  5. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Whew, at least Obi-Wan is back on Coruscant and getting some much needed rest. I think he deserves a good night's sleep before going off to conquer this new plot development... [face_devil]

And I agree with Enigma Jade. If you need to sleep, then good grief, you sleep all you want! I don't suppose Obi-Wan's sleep depravation is inspired by you own...? ;)
  6. Larkonna Jedi Knight

star 2
    This is excellent! The plot twists are beautiful. I'm very impressed with your frequent posts which overflow with such writing. I don't know how you are able to write with sleep deprivation looming over your own head! But I'm thoroughly enjoying this story.
  7. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    How about this...get sleep, then post more. I can't believe you stayed up sooooo late to get these chapters to us.. THANK YOU :)
  8. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks everyone for understanding about the late posts yesterday. I am a night owl, so 4:24 wasn't really that late for me... especially not when I'm in school! LOL

obaona: thanks for staying with me and reviewing so often! I appreciate it

TheFallen: I will try to keep the story going as well as it has been so far. Hopefully it will continue to be so easy to write!

Halcyon03: Welcome~ and thanks for reading

red_rose_knight: I've got to tell you, it was such an honor to see you reading and reviewing this. Your story was one of the first fanfics I ever read, and you are a huge inspiration. Thanks for being here.

Enigma_Jade: Thanks for your understanding! I'm glad ya'll won't hunt me down if I can't get all the posts up I promised, but I am sure going to try (especially when I have such wonderful readers)

babybantha: As always, thanks so much for being here. You are such a great reason to keep writing and making sure that all these posts get up (and as for the sleep dep... possibly during the school year I have a bit in common with Obi...)

Larkonna: Thanks!

Padawankitara: thank you I'm glad there are such great people on this board.

Now for a post...
  9. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    As he had anticipated, Master Bant had forbidden Anakin to return to the transport bay at least until his Master returned. Bant had also given Anakin extra work to do in his healing exercises. \Well at least she agreed not to tell Obi-Wan\ Anakin thought as he once again practiced Forcebinding a wound.

Anakin was skilled at many aspects of the Force, but his healing ability was one of his top performances. He had even briefly considered training to become a Healer instead of a Knight, but to do so would have meant leaving Obi-Wan. Though he may not have seen much of his Master in the past four years, Anakin was still dedicated to Obi-Wan.

?If you finish up with your practicing here, you can work on memorizing the formulas for some of the more common field medications,? Bant called out, as she passed by the exam room where Anakin was working.

Bant was technically off duty in the Healer?s ward, but Master Ravenna had been called away, and so she was helping out while teaching Anakin.

?I should be done soon Master Bant,? Anakin answered. ?Do you want me to go to the medical supply room to learn the formulas, or should I go to the bacta room??

The med supply room would have closer access to all of the materials he would need, but the bacta room was much more conducive to studying. Although the Healer?s ward was not as busy as it could have been, there were still many Jedi in residence, and medications were constantly being dispensed from the small med room.

?Why don?t you grab the datapads from med supply, and then find a quiet corner of the bacta room. I?ll be in later to check on you,? Bant stated once again passing by his room.

Anakin was unsure of what was keeping her so busy, but it obviously wasn?t too important, or she would?ve sent him back to his quarters.

?Yes Master Bant,? Anakin called as he went to retrieve the books and then find a nice quiet place to read.

The seizures started almost the instant the hypospray was pressed to Valone?s neck. Healer Ravenna, with the aid of the surrounding Knights, immediately began resuscitation techniques, but it was too late. The fast acting drug that had been mixed with the Force suppressant had caused lesions to develop immediately on the fallen Jedi?s brain, and within minutes all brain activity had failed.

Obi-Wan stood off to the side, watching while the Healer and Knights worked, in as close to a state of shock as a Jedi could reach. \I have been through HELL to get that man here, and just when he is to appear in front of the Council he dies. The Force definitely has it in for me\ Obi-Wan?s thoughts were interrupted as Master Ravenna turned once more to face him.

?There is nothing I can do here,? she stated. ?I will call for Master Jareo to perform an autopsy, but I believe it is apparent that this hypospray was tampered with. Until we can be sure that all of the other medication within the Temple is safe, we will have to close off the Healer?s ward. I cannot risk losing another patient if any other medications were tampered with.? Putting words to action, Ravenna used her commlink to alert the medical staff to the immediate danger, and then called the Council to report the same information to them.

Anakin had just entered the med supply room, when Master Bant came running into the room. ?Padawan Skywalker, you need to return immediately to your quarters. I?ll contact you later to continue your lesson.?

Pausing only long enough to insure Anakin carried out her orders, Bant began immediately securing the room. A team of Knights would soon be there to begin testing supplies, but for the time being it was Bant?s job to make sure no more medication was dispensed. As she worked on sealing off the room, Bant?s thoughts turned to her childhood friend. She had received word from Ravenna that he was back at the temple, and that the Master Healer would be attending to him for at least the next few hours.

Ravenna
  10. Alida Jedi Knight

star 1
    That last part was so beautiful. I'm just delurking to say that I love your story so much! It's really very amazing that you are able (not to mention willing) to post so often for all of your readers. We do appreciate IMMENSELY. :) Can't wait to see the next part of this.
  11. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    After sleeping for over eighteen hours, Obi-Wan Kenobi was finally ready to face the Jedi Council. He would have preferred to spend a few days in a bacta tank before meeting with the twelve Masters, but the tanks were still being tested for tampering. With no other excuse for hesitation, the young Knight took a lift to the top of the central spire and entered the Council Chambers. After giving a slightly shallower bow than customary, due to his injuries, Obi-Wan launched into the narrative of his latest mission.

He recounted almost every detail of the ill-fated mission, but was still subject to an hour?s worth of questions from the surrounding Masters. As the excruciating briefing finally wound down, Obi-Wan gave a final bow to the Council members before exiting the chambers in search of Master Bant. Obi-Wan hoped to impose on the other Master just a little bit longer, by asking her to keep Anakin out of trouble for the next few days.

Obi-Wan knew that he was asking a lot of his friend, but there was no one else for him to turn to. He had once considered a few of the Council Members among his close friends, but within the last four years the relationships he had once maintained had ended. Master Yoda may have been a close confidant in his younger years, but as of late, the Master was more of an adversary than a friend. The same was true for Master Windu, who he had once been very close to due to the long-standing friendship the Councilor had shared with Qui-Gon Jinn.

\At this rate, I?ll soon have more enemies than friends\ the Knight thought as he exited the lift and began the walk to the Healer?s ward. \Between the Council sending me away all of the time, and the time I?ve needed to dedicate to training my Padawan, Bant seems to be about the only friend I?ve got left. If I didn?t know better, I?d swear the Council is trying to get me to quit!\

Snorting quietly at his absurd thoughts, Obi-Wan entered the Healer?s ward, hoping to finally keep his date with the bacta tanks.

When Anakin returned to his quarters after class, he was surprised to see that his Master had woken and left already. After seeing how deeply Obi-Wan was sleeping, the Padawan had expected his Master to sleep for at least a day or two. Setting his datapad case on the couch, Anakin noticed a note on the table. \If the Council has sent him to a meeting again, I am going to go up there and tell them all what a bunch of morons they really are\

Reading the note, Anakin found that although his Master did not expect to see much of him for at least a day or two, he would be remaining at the Temple indefinitely. Obi-Wan informed his apprentice that he expected to spend the next few days briefing other Knights and Masters about the information he had received at the meeting on Malastare, but once that was completed the Master and Padawan would finally have some time to spend together.

Barely suppressing the urge to release the ?yippee!? he had become well known for, Anakin instead settled on a huge smile. Finally he would get to spend some time with his Master, and the two could once again resume the mock lightsaber duels they both enjoyed.

\Well, it appears the Council has finally realized their mistake. Maybe next time they won?t have to completely run my Master into the ground before they realize they are pushing too hard\

Bant had just finished the final tests on the bacta tanks, when she felt a familiar Force presence enter the room behind her. ?So, you finally decided to visit your old friend eh? It?s only taken you a day or so to finally deign to let me know you are alive and ok,? Bant said with only partially feigned anger.

?I?m sorry Bant. When I heard that the bacta tanks were going to be out of commission for a few hours, all I wanted to do was get some sleep. And then I had to report to the Council, and they?ve kept me busy for the past several hours. I didn?t mean to ignore you,? Obi-Wan s
  12. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    So Obi-Wan doesn't realize that the Council is trying to make him give up? :eek:
    This is so good, please post more!
  13. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Ohh lots more- Thank You :)

I used to be a night owl myself (worked until 2-3am most summers) but then real life kicked in- it sucks. I am actually expected to get out of bed before 7:30am. And to make it worse, they expect me to be in court, awake and ready to got to trial, at 8:30am. Are these people serious???

Enjoy student life while you can- I certainly did. :D
  14. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Although the Council may have exhausted all of its questions for Obi-Wan Kenobi, there was still much to be discussed after the Knight left the chamber.

?Disturbing this is,? Master Yoda began, in a repeat of his earlier comments to the Council. ?Questions we have, answers we do not. These answers we must find, a darker force is at work here than we knew.?

?Without Valone, how are we going to find the answers?? Ki-Adi-Mundi asked.

?I suggest we return to Adi?s previous idea. I believe we dismissed the idea that there might be an informant in the Jedi temple a bit too quickly. Especially, now that we know someone tampered with Jedi medical supplies,? Mace offered.

?Perhaps we should dispatch several teams to investigate this from many different angles. I know that we need to keep this incident from becoming common knowledge around the temple, but I believe that the need to uncover information is worth the risk of bringing in at least a few Knights,? Depa interjected. ?We could have one team track the source of the drug that was mixed in with the Force suppressant, and another team review outgoing Temple communications for the past few years.?

?Investigate the source of the drug, yes. But why would we need to review the outgoing transmissions from the Temple from so many years back? It is only necessary to check information from the past few months or so,? Plo Koon argued.

?No, we need to check the logs from at least the past five years. It would have taken Valone at least that long to plan his infiltration of Navira. There is no way he could have gathered that kind of weaponry in the few months he spent as the eastern leader,? Mace answered, giving support to Depa?s plan.

?A team of Knights to check Valone?s activity in the years he has been gone from the temple too, hmm?? Yoda asked.

?Rest we should allow Knight Kenobi in the meantime,? Yaddle said, speaking up for the first time. ?Keep him close to the Temple we should, question him again we may need to.?

?Perhaps we should allow him to assume a teaching position here at the Temple for the next semester. That would allow him time to train his Padawan, and also give time for the two to take a few more missions. Padawan Skywalker has spent too much of his apprenticeship on Coruscant so far, it is time we allowed the team a few missions,? Ki-Adi-Mundi suggested.

Mundi normally did not become involved in Council discussions regarding the Knight, but after seeing the bedraggled state of the young man who had just stood before the Council, he had decided it was time to speak up. ?I believe Knight Kenobi has worked hard to uphold his end of the bargain, now it is time for us to uphold ours.?

As he ran the analysis yet again, Master Jareo pleaded to the Force that the results of the blood analysis be incorrect. He had already run the scan four times, but he kept hoping that the scanner was making the identification of the substance in error.

If what the scanner said was true, than the mortician would need to contact the Council immediately. If this substance was truly what the scans said, than it could mean only one thing: the Sith were active once again.

After two days in bacta, Obi-Wan was finally healed enough to return to his regular duties. The damage to his shoulders and back had been severe, but bacta was nothing if not miraculous. \Not only did it heal the wound, but the time in the tank offered me the most time to sleep I have had in years!\ Obi-Wan thought as he entered his room.

He was surprised to see that his bedding looked as if it had been slept in. \Note to self: I owe Bant big time\ Not only had his friend managed to keep Anakin out of trouble for the entire two days, but she had also taken the time to make it appear that Obi-Wan was returning to his quarters each night after Anakin had gone to bed.

The Master felt bad about the deception, but it would not be necessary again for a good long while. Upo
  15. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Alida: thanks for taking the time to review. It's so great knowing there are so many people actually reading this :)

PadawanKitara: EEK! 7:30 am... EVERY DAY!

:CalaisKenobi assumes her automatic face of denial:

Yikes!

LOL, I'm just trying to pretend being up that early is unusual, instead of a normal thing to do and as such I will never have to experience it...
    A gal can dream, can't she? :)
  16. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    Do we know what the bargain was, yet, or haven't you told us? I don't think you have... Hmm...

I NEED MORE!! MORE, I TELL YOU!!

:eek:

Where did that come from? [face_blush]
  17. Enigma_Jade Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wonderful posts, Calais! Yay! Obi finally got to sleep! :)

4:30am, huh? I COMPLETELY understand. I'm a terrible night-owl (I can regularly be found awake until 6am), and lately it has sucked even more because I've been needing to get up at like 9:30 in the morning. :_| Hey, I'm a student! Who needs sleep anyway? (As I usually say, "sleep? what's sleep? ::nervous laugh::" - LOL!)

But hey, even the dead have to rest sometime. ;)

Great posts! I can't wait for more!

EJ
  18. Alida Jedi Knight

star 1
    :eek: TWO more posts since I last checked? Egads, we're being downright spoiled! I certainly am enjoying following the story. The frequent posts and engrossing tale make my day. (Or, as it would be more correct to say, night. Or morning.) :)

Hm. It SEEMS that Obi is going to be getting some well-deserved, but I've found in stories that things aren't often what they appear to be at first glance, that murky things lurk beneath the surface, just waiting for the right moment to take us by surprise. :p Something is telling me that Obi-Wan will not be getting much sleep or time with his padawan. Not with the Sith afoot.

Cheers to Bant, though. Like a true healer, she never gives up. She'll get Obi rested someday...

I think.

EDIT: Fixed some apalling redundancy. *kicks self*
  19. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Ki-Adi Mundi is my hero. That's all I have to say...

...just kidding. He's still my hero, but there were a hundred other wonderful things in the posts (all THREE! of them). I'm so happy Obi-Wan got that much deserved rest, and it at least appears he'll get to stay at the Temple for a while.

But if this comes at a high price like he thinks it will...well, I'm just going to have to smack Yoda around with his own gimmer stick! ;)

And I enthusiastically second Padawan Kitara's plea. For all of you who are students: ENJOY IT WHILE IT LASTS. As I sit here in the middle of the night, working a 36 hour shift, I don't think it's humanly possibly to appreciate it enough. Okay, I'll stop whining now... [face_blush]
  20. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    36 hour shift??? :eek: I love being homeschooled. :p
    I really like the way the story is going. And Obi-Wan gets to spend time with Anakin! (Though I doubt things will be quiet).
    :D
  21. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    TheFallen No, the details of the bargain haven't been revealed... yet ;) All I promise is that it will come out before the story ends :)

Enigma_Jade Hey, I'm a student! Who needs sleep anyway? (As I usually say, "sleep? what's sleep? ::nervous laugh::" ROTFL!!!!

Alida Somehow I don't see Obi-Wan as the kind of guy who would be getting a lot of sleep even if he was teaching at the Temple. He seems like the kind of person who would always have something going on... and with the Sith afoot, there's definitely going to be things going on

babybantha 36!!!! hours YOU are my new hero! LOL

obaona The strangest thing about this whole story is that normally I don't care much for Anakin. I am kind of surprised by the fact he is almost coming across as human... maybe even if Darth Vader had a sense of humor at one point though :)

22. red rose knight Force Ghost

star 4
    Poor Obi-Wan. At least he got a nice, long healing sleep. Of course, as it always sees to be the way with our favorite Jedi, he isn't going to get the break he hopes for. :(

This is such a great story. Why do have the feeling Anakin may have to put all that healing knowledge to use. :confused:

Keep it up! Oh and more posties please? Not that pushing or anything. ;)
  23. Larkonna Jedi Knight

star 2
    Blaster bolts! What's going to happen next?

I liked seeing the tender and human side of Obi-Wan when he came back to the Temple and went to his quarters. What a scene!

Everything keeps building higher and higher and I eagerly wait the crescendo. :)
  24. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    More posts :)

poor babybantha I think I chose law school instead of medical school because I only had a few 8am classes. And, I would rather suffer through the bar exam than internship and residency! My friend said that during her internship and first year res, her car knew how to drive itself home, because all she knew how to do was fall into bed.
  25. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    You're a wiser woman than I, PadawanKitara. Although, I imagine the life of an attorney is pretty damn hard itself. :)

Oh, yeah, and can we hope for a new post soon please? Not that I'm pushing either or anything... ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.