The Price of Sacrifice {Obi-Wan, Anakin -- Angst, AU} |COMPLETE 11-11-03|

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CalaisKenobi, Jun 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, the longer the better, in my opinion. :D Can't wait for the next post!
  2. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Wow. I'm gone not 24 hours, and already I've missed several posts. You are truly amazing, Calais. And as far as I'm concerned, this story can continue forever. I will always be here waiting for new posts. :D

I think that last post was probably one of your most exciting. I was totally freaking out when they were threatening Anakin, and then when Obi-Wan was rushing to get to him. It's so hard to write believable bad guys, but those Caradonians were thoroughly despicable (I mean that in a good way). I also think that was your meanest cliffhanger yet. ;)

Now let's get a new post up soon; reading this always makes my day so much better.
  3. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
  4. Halcyon03 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Great post, Calais! I mean... posts! I checked yesterday
    morning, and just from then until now I missed several. I am still
    utterly amazed at your consistency. I have a story of my own, but
    I'm afraid that every once in a while there is a LOT of time between posts.

What a cliffhanger! So much for a simple mission (don't all "simple
    missions" end up this way? I wonder why the Council ever bothers calling
    them "simple"!).

:D ***** :D ***** :D
  5. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    ** Ya'll can thank TheFallen for the early post (blackmail... not just for politicians any more :) **

\\ Padawan?\\ Obi-Wan asked, never taking his eyes off of the large Caradonian in possession of Anakin?s lightsaber.

\\ I?m all right Master?I don?t think I?m hurt that badly? I think they only wanted your attention\\ Anakin sent back, raising his eyes up from where they had been fixated on the floor.

\\ Well if they wanted my attention, they certainly got it\\ Obi-Wan responded, some of his concern fading with the sarcasm he had detected in his Padawan?s mental message.

Turning his full attention once more to the hulking figure his gaze had never left, the Knight spoke aloud once more. ?What makes you think that I have any control over these negotiations to exert??

?We know of your Jedi powers, but beyond that we know of the political ramifications for Caradonia and the other involved planets if one of the Republic?s pet Jedi die because they were too obstinate to do anything,? the apparent spokesman of the captors stated.

?But did you consider the ramifications of what I will do to you if you or your men touch my apprentice again?? Obi-Wan calmly replied, as he drew the Force around him, projecting a more menacing figure.

\\ Master???\\ Anakin interrupted, fearful that the swirling emotions had begun to affect Obi-Wan.

\\ Padawan, can you sense where the power couplings for this force field are?\\ the Knight answered, ignoring his Padawan?s uncertain questioning. Obi-Wan knew Anakin had a much better grasp on all things electrical than he ever would. Anakin was building complete racing pods and protocol droids at an age where Obi-Wan had had a hard time getting the batteries in his remote going the correct direction.

\\ Yes Master. And I believe, given enough time I can have the force field down and deactivated indefinitely.\\

\\ Good, hopefully I have frightened your captors into leaving you alone for the time being. I will pretend to go back to the negotiations. Work on getting that field down, and as soon as you are ready, let me know and I will be right back here. \\

\\ Yes Master\\

After waiting several minutes to see how the Caradonian would respond to his threat, Obi-Wan finally spoke again. ?I will return to the negotiations, and I will work towards seeing your demands carried out. But understand this, you touch Anakin and nothing will save you.?

With that said, the Jedi Master turned back towards the way he had come, brushing through the crowd of diplomats who had finally caught up to the Knight. Unsure of what was happening, the herd of politicians simply turned and followed the Jedi back to the negotiations table.

Solo looked around as the occupants of the small junk shop came out of their hiding places to surround him. They were an eclectic mix, spanning from the small, younger woman who was apparently the proprietor of the shop, to the large elderly man who had been the first to speak to him.
    All in all, there were around 15 Caradonians now surrounding the former smuggler, but Solo still did not feel threatened.

Instead, he felt almost as if he had been accepted into whatever little meeting it was he had inadvertently stumbled onto. It was apparent that these people were all fed up with the boycott and tax raises that their government had inflicted upon them, but it also appeared that they had not yet done anything about it. His instincts told him that these were good people, who had just been pushed too hard too fast by an uncaring government.

?Perhaps we do need a new government,? the elder Caradonian continued, as his companions exited the shadows. ?But how exactly would we go about getting one??

Although not technically under the control of the Jedi Council, Temple pilots were still encouraged to take a non-intervention status on all missions. It made it much easier for the Jedi diplomats to project an aura of neutrality if t
  6. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Okay, I take it back. This was your meanest cliffhanger yet. ;) Sheesh, you really know how to put these boys through the wringer! Not that I'm complaining...

I so love Obi-Wan when he gets all nasty. "But did you consider the ramifications of what I will do to you if you or your men touch my apprentice again?? kind of reminded me of his line to JarJar in TPM about the "thousand terrible things headed our way". He has a knack for intimidation, I think.

And Solo(!) is pretty cool himself. I liked how the 15 Caradonians were surrounding him, and he still wasn't nervous. He wouldn't happen to be related to anyone we know, hmmm...? ;)

Good post!
  7. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    You're right babybanth. She can be pretty cruel to the boys. But don't you love it when an author posts so many chapters every day! :)
  8. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't see anyone thanking me for my efforts. :p Remember, CK - burn those photographs immediately.

- - Looks around nervously - -

You, uh, don't have anything else on me, do you? Heh.. heh.. [face_plain]

Phenominal post. :D

Anakin was building complete racing pods and protocol droids at an age where Obi-Wan had had a hard time getting the batteries in his remote going the correct direction.

I still can't get the buggers in the right direction. :mad:
  9. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    TF I only heard about the blackmail 2nd hand. But it worked...so, good job :)
  10. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    he he he... never... not when it gets you to write faster!!! LOL. If ya'll haven't checked out TheFallen's series, it is sooo good!!!

PadawanKitara and babybantha As always, thanks so much for reviewing so quick! Its so great to come back from working on a post or reading another story and find POS on the first page of the fanfics. I also love the speculation and comments... it gives me an idea of what's working and what isn't!

Speaking of which.. I am really really dumb. The line in the second to last post was supposed to go like this "\You can take the man out of smuggling, but you can?t take the smuggling out of the man\ Solo noted with no small hint of pride." Not whatever heinous quote it was that I posted. It was a little late.. sorry :)
  11. red rose knight Force Ghost

star 4
    What a truly evil set of cliffhangers! :D

?But did you consider the ramifications of what I will do to you if you or your men touch my apprentice again??

Whoo! Hoo! Boy does Obi-Wan know how to lay a threat or what?

This is such a good story and you had me hooked from post one. :) This just gets better with every twist.
  12. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Once again, nothing is easy for Obi and Ani! But I like that so . . . [:)

Keep posting! :D
  13. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Reeling from the information he had just received, Solo headed back to his transport as quickly as possible without alerting anyone to his haste. He needed to warn the Jedi of the danger that awaited them.

He had only been curious to know what the Caradonians had planned in the interest of passing it on to some of his smuggling buddies. Insider information was always highly prized in the underworld. Instead of coming away with a store of information to sell to the highest bidder, he came away with knowledge of a plan designed to trap and harm at least one of the Jedi he had delivered to the planet.

Solo may not have cared much for the Jedi he usually dealt with, but the young Master who had agreed to help him during the flight had grown on him. He had also seen the younger Jedi around the transport bay, and although he didn?t know him personally, the other mechanics and pilots spoke highly of the Padawan.

As he reached the transport, Solo went immediately to the comm. station to try and raise the older Jedi on his comm. link. When there was no answer, Solo cursed and tried to reach the younger one. Once again, there was no response. Deciding he could wait no longer, Solo sealed up the transport and headed off to the Government building, intent on warning the Jedi of the danger that awaited them.

Obi-Wan returned to the negotiations and actively tried to reach a resolution. He was confident that Anakin would be able to lower the force field, and that his Padawan was in no real danger. While he waited for Anakin?s signal, he wanted to try to resolve the tariff and boycott issues, as Caradonia was slowly but surely faltering under the restrictions.

He had almost reached a settlement between the two parties, when he began to worry. \Anakin should?ve had that field down by now\ he thought, as he watched the Caradonian secretary begin to print out copies of the rough agreement.

The negotiations truly had been simple; as the Caradonians really did not need the extra money the tariffs would?ve given them. What the Caradonians needed to do was simply collect some of the money the many beauracrats had ?borrowed? over the years. Even if only a third of the money were recovered, it would more than take care of any deficit the government was suffering from.

Wondering what was keeping Anakin, Obi-Wan tried to access the bond, but he did not receive an answer from the apprentice. Just as the Master stood to excuse himself once more from the table Captain Solo rushed into the room, trailing an entourage of very upset Caradonians.

?This is a closed room sir, you are not permitted in this area!? the elderly Caradonian male called out, as he tried to catch the pilot.

?Like I told you the five other times you and your friends have said that, ?I don?t care!?? the pilot called out as he approached the Jedi Master. Obi-Wan stood from his chair, and waved off Solo?s pursuers.

Following the pilot?s signal, Obi-Wan led him over to an unoccupied corner of the room. ?Where?s the boy?? Solo asked, as he surveyed the room and didn?t see the Jedi apprentice.

?He is handling other business,? Obi-Wan answered dryly. ?Was there something you needed?? Obi-Wan was unsure of why the pilot had burst into the room as he had, but he was anxious to get the agreement signed so he could go after his apprentice and find out what was keeping him.

?Well, you better hope that other business doesn?t involve a group of about five Caradonian thugs,? Solo remarked. ??Cause if it does, than he?s in trouble.? The look of alarm that crossed the young Master?s face would have been comical if Solo hadn?t known just how serious the situation was.

Anakin regained consciousness as he was being carried down one of the many halls of the extremely large government structure. He was slung over the back of the man that had been behind him during the earlier proceedings. Keeping his eyes closed and allowing his captors to think
  14. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Woohoo! Go Anakin! You kick their butts! Mean Caradonians... :mad:

I think you've gotten entirely too good at these cliffhangers, Calais. ;) But at least I don't have to wait too long between them.

I'm really liking this Solo guy. The way he burst into the negotiations, shouting he didn't care if it was off limits...hehe. The Jedi need more pilots like that to spring them into action.

Post more soon! Pleeeease!
  15. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    this Solo guy si sounding very...familer....

he he he
  16. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    As Captain Solo recounted his adventures in the junk shops of Caradonia, Obi-Wan tried to reach his apprentice. After the second try with no response, he had realized his shields were firmly in place. /Blast! I know it?s been a long time since I?ve been on a mission with a partner, but that was just stupid!/ the young Master berated himself. He knew that if anything happened to Anakin, it was entirely his fault.

?Once the old guy decided I was a smuggler and was safe to talk to, the whole group went right back to discussing their plans as if I wasn?t even there. Turns out, they?d decided that if they brought the vengeance of the Jedi down on the current government, than the politicians would have no choice but to vacate their offices. They figured fear of the Jedi would chase the corrupt beauracrats out and allow them a chance to save their planet,? Solo finished.

?Actually, not a bad plan,? Obi-Wan said absently as he went over his options mentally. He needed to have this treaty signed, but he also didn?t want to risk endangering his apprentice. The diplomats present had no idea of the Padawan?s plight, and Obi-Wan had no desire to inform them. He had simply used the Force to remove any confusion they had held about his previous disappearance. It might have been unethical, but it allowed the negotiations to continue unhindered, and the Master had decided the Council would accept his slight mind manipulation when all factors were considered.

An idea had just begun to crystallize when Obi-Wan finally made contact with his apprentice. The contact was brief, but just long enough to alert the Master to the dangerous situation Anakin was in. Reacting before really even completely thinking his plan through, Obi-Wan dragged Solo out into the unoccupied hall and handed him his quickly shed cloak.

?Here, put this on,? the Knight said as he quickly adjusted the hood to cover the pilot?s face. ?The delegates have no idea what my apprentice looks like, and so you are going to pretend to be him. You must get the delegates to sign the treaty, and then excuse yourself from the proceedings and return immediately to the transport.?

?And just what exactly are you going to be doing?? Solo asked as he adjusted the robe to cover his smuggler?s clothing.

?Carrying out the ?vengeance of the Jedi,' of course.? Obi-Wan called as he took off at a swift pace down the hall.

As he felt the brief mind touch of his Master, Anakin breathed a sigh of relief. The Knight was on his way, and Anakin only needed to hold his own long enough for Obi-Wan to arrive. With the Force to aide him, his Master would be arriving in only a few short minutes. Luckily, the sound of his lightsaber activating had not been loud enough to alert the other dozen or so Caradonians farther down the hall, but he knew that if a blaster were used the distinctive sound would easily travel the distance to the closed doorway.

Hoping to stall the inevitable, Anakin spoke. ?Do you have any idea of how much trouble you are going to be in when my Master gets here?? The line may have sounded like it came from some cheap holovid, but the apprentice was not exactly skilled at playing the part of the hostage.

\\And hopefully you will never become good at it\\ Obi-Wan responded, picking up the random thought from his apprentice.

\\Not like you, huh Master?\\ Anakin asked, glad to have the mental communication back with Obi-Wan.

\\I may have had some practice when I was a Padawan?\\ the Master responded, just as he rounded the final corner and came up to stand beside his apprentice.

?I believe I told you not to touch my Padawan again,? Obi-Wan said bluntly, as he noticed the spreading bruise on Anakin?s temple.

?Look, we didn?t mean nothin? by it,? the Caradonian who had been carrying Anakin called from where he was still sitting stunned on the floor.

?We?re only trying to save our planet!? another one of the men called, frightened by the look on the Jedi Master?s face.

?And you
  17. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
  18. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    RRK: Thanks for the comments. I just finished your sequel to AUP, you made me cry!!! So then I needed to write some more somewhat healthy Obi-Wan fic :)

Obaona Thanks, I really do appreciate your comments, they help me judge what I am writing...

Halcyon03: Sorry! I missed your review earlier! And you're right, "simple" usually means "uh oh" especially when Yoda's in on it!

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi: Solo...? Hmmm not ringing any bells... LOL Actually the only OT fic I will read is either Han and Leia, or NWL (non-whining Luke)! Han is by far my favorite OT character (other than OWK of course...)

PadawanKitara: I agree completely, Anakin needs to kick some booty!
  19. Alida Jedi Knight

star 1
    I haven't been commenting lately, so sorry! [face_blush] Better work on that, hm? Now then, on to the latest post... :)

?It really doesn?t matter which one we kill.? :eek: Yes it does! Yes it does! [face_blush] Very sorry, Anakin, but if it comes to choosing between you dying or Obi-Wan--Well, I'm sure you understand. [face_love]

Can't wait for more posts. *claps hands together* I'd certainly like to see more exacting of retribution. :D
  20. TheFallen Jedi Master

star 4
    WOO!! YEAH!! OBI GON' KICK SOME BUTT!

Okay, Fallen's going to lay off the caffiene on late evenings now.. Woo.. that was a rush. :D ;)
  21. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Alida: Don't worry, if I kill anyone, it'll be Anakin. LOL JK Just don't read Preventative Measures LOL

TheFallen: Don't lay off the caffeine... Caffeine good... Makes CK post extra part tonigt... MMMM

Anakin immediately used his lightsaber to deflect the shots, sending them to impact with the walls. Obi-Wan had not even had to move a muscle, and Anakin felt a sudden rush of pride that his Master trusted him with his life.

\\ Of course I trust you with my life Padawan\\ Obi-Wan briefly smiled down at his apprentice, before he once again addressed the leader.

?This is pointless you know,? Obi-Wan called over the echo of the blaster fire. ?The treaty is being signed as we speak. The other planets have agreed to lift the boycott, and your government has agreed to forego the tariffs. There is no need for anyone to be hurt.?

?And just how would they be signing an interplanetary trade treaty without a Jedi present?? the Caradonian called back, refusing to lower his blaster.

?Who says there isn?t a Jedi there?? Obi-Wan replied as he began to advance towards the leader. Just as he was within reaching distance, the door down the hall slammed open and the remaining dissidents spilled out into the hallway bringing a rain of blaster fire with them. The Knight had to step back to begin to deflect the bolts back, as there were now too many for the apprentice to handle.

?Stop this before someone is hurt or killed!? Anakin yelled over the sounds of the blaster fire. The apprentice had never been forced to take a life before, and he did not want to have to now.

?There is no other Jedi! You are lying! All we have to do is kill you, and then Caradonia will be free again. No more dirty politicians, no more taxes and tariffs, and no more begging just to survive!? The incensed leader yelled.

As the hail of blaster fire continued, Obi-Wan and Anakin were finding it harder and harder to direct all of the ricochets off of their ?sabers. There were simply too many bolts, and too few open areas to send them to. Obi-Wan tried to draw on the Force to use it to calm the angered men, but his concentration was too scattered to influence twenty strong-willed Caradonians at one time.

Inevitably, the reflected blaster shots began to hit the men firing so rapidly at the Jedi. As the Caradonians began to fall one after another after another, Obi-Wan could feel the conflict that was consuming his apprentice. Anakin wanted to be angry with the men for what they had done to him, but he did not want them to die for it. And he especially did not want to be the one to take their lives.

The Master tried to send some comfort to his apprentice over the bond, but Anakin?s emotions were running too erratically. The Padawan began to lose his connection to the Force, and more and more blaster bolts were just barely missing hitting the young man.

Realizing he needed to end the conflict or Anakin would be hurt, Obi-Wan aimed a blaster bolt directly back at the Caradonian leader. As the man took the bolt directly to the chest, falling dead instantly, the Jedi Master called out once more, this time with the full power of the Force behind his voice. ?STOP!?

Solo knew that the Jedi would probably want to kill him the next time he saw him, but the pilot could not resist the chance to help the people of the planet Caradonia. It had become all too apparent to him that this treaty would do nothing to help the people, and was really only a temporary solution. If Caradonia were going to thrive once more, than the current government would have to make some concessions towards the welfare of its people.

This treaty would provide a prime opportunity to force the Caradonian government to agree to alleviate some of the taxation of their people, and to allow an independent committee of citizens access to the funds records of the government. Solo knew the only way he would be ab
  22. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Obi-Wan action!!! :D Conflicted Anakin was cool, and how Obi-Wan tried to deal with it. I wonder if Obi-Wan will get in trouble with the Council for Solo's actions. And just what will Solo do, and how will Obi-Wan react?

Keep posting! :D :D :D
  23. babybantha Jedi Knight

star 2
    Awesome scene! :D You write action really well. When Obi-Wan finally yelled "STOP!", putting the weight of the Force behind it, that was so cool.

And I agree with Obaona. Conflicted Anakin was cool. It was kind of sad, too, when he was talking about how all they wanted was to be free just like he had. And I'm glad you decided not to kill either one of them. [face_blush]

And, like I said before, I'm really liking this Solo guy. He's great to have around because he can do things and not worrying about upsetting the Council. And he has a nice effect on Obi-Wan; I doubt the Council would approve of him ordering Solo to impersonate a Jedi... [face_devil]

Great post!
  24. Alida Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oi. Now I'm starting to feel bad for some of the dead Caradonians. :( And what's Solo up to now?! And why do I get the feeling that the Council is going to blame the entire mess on Obi? *sigh*

Hm. We haven't heard from the Sith in a while. Should I be feeling nervous now?
  25. CalaisKenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't know Should you?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.