main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Prince; The Pauper (OCs, Political Intrigue) UPDATE: 7/25

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Vivid_Scripts, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vivid_Scripts

Vivid_Scripts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2004
    The Prince; The Pauper
    by Vivid Scripts

Genre: Political Intrigue, Drama
    Timeframe: Intertrilogy
    Summary: The Empire has been attacked! How will the people and their leaders respond to this crisis? In this story we shall dissect the events on the Planet Iconia and take them as a microcosm for what occurred throughout the entire Empire. Gomah Silas ("The Prince") is the leader of the planet; Silas Gomah ("The Pauper") is an average citizen of it.
    NOTE: Be advised that this work is very political in nature. This thread is open to all sorts of discussions and commentaries. Feel free to criticize or praise me to your hearts desire.

PREFACE:

Greetings, Citizen-
    A secretive organization has struck at the heart of the Empire, much of which is still in the process of industrially, economically and spiritually recovering from the violence and devastation wrought by the Clone Wars and the Imperial Revolution. A massive commerce tower has been demolished and a crowded shopping center was bombed in what Imperial Senate Chair Bail Organa has dubbed the "most heinous acts of terror imaginable".

But just who are these people that have so brutally attacked the government? Who is behind this uprising? Is it a focused Rebel Alliance, about which rumors have been whispered along the underground channels of backwater planets? Could it be remnants of the defeated Jedi Order, once again seeking upstage our government?

There is a third, more sinister possibility, one which troubled the Emperor greatly. What if the Jedi, being the cunning and deceptive foes that they are, were not by any measure vanquished by Executive Order 66 but instead feigned their demise as a sort of stratagem so that they could retreat underground where they would have ample opportunity to concoct a deadly plan for subverting and destroying our nation?

What if there are Jedi that frequent your shopping mall? What if there are Jedi that fly in your traffic lanes? What if there are Jedi where you work? What if there are Jedi where you live?

What can you do to help safeguard your Empire?

-This message brought to you by the COMMITTEE OF PUBLIC SAFTEY-

Prologue-
    [i]OFFICIAL STATEMENT OF THE EMPEROR:

"Greetings. Today, our nation, our Empire and our very way of life was brutally and viciously attacked. Those whose lives were lost in this senseless attack were men and women, managers and employees, businesspeople and customers, parents and children. These were all innocent lives which were ended by these despicable, dastardly acts of terror.

Fellow citizens, what is under assault here is not merely a trade tower, or a shopping mall, or our Empire's capital or even innocent life, but the very ideals and beliefs which this empire was founded upon, which we hold to be sacred! A secretive power has been at war with us since we found and lifted ourselves out of partisan squabbling and inaction, and through a crescendo of horrific permacrete explosions that claimed the lives of thousands upon thousands of our brothers and sons and sisters and daughters and friends and neighbors they have struck the first blow!

Galactic Intelligence has confirmed what I have most gravely feared. The rogue, wayward Jedi who tried to assassinate me, topple our government and abbreviate our revolution years ago have survived in hiding and are once again trying to destroy our government with cowardly attacks on innocent people. These evil beings seek to eradicate the progress honed by the past five years of reforms, to take away the unified free government ruled by reason, sound judgment and justice and instead restore us to the chains and shackles of misguided factionalism and bureaucratic squabbling!

My friends, there can be no order where there is chaos, no unanimity where there is dispute, no justice where there is disunity and no security where there is discord. The full resource of Imperial power is now focused upon finding and bringing these renegades to justice, and no distinc

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Really intriguing. I loved that the news person was willing to not look further into the situation but to make it worse by fear-mongering.

Great job.

Please PM me with updates.

3. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Fellow citizens, what is under assault here is not merely a trade tower, or a shopping mall, or our Empire's capital or even innocent life, but the very ideals and beliefs which this empire was founded upon, which we hold to be sacred! A secretive power has been at war with us since we found and lifted ourselves out of partisan squabbling and inaction, and through a crescendo of horrific permacrete explosions that claimed the lives of thousands upon thousands of our brothers and sons and sisters and daughters and friends and neighbors they have struck the first blow!

Ooooohhh....echoes of 9-11 run deep in this one *brrr-shiver* [face_skull]

Please add me to the PM list

4. Vivid_Scripts

Jan 21, 2004
    Does he remind you of anyone?

most definitely. I was about 13 or 14 when 9/11 happened and I remember very well the public fear that was going on in the direct aftermath. I wanted to recapture that climate of hysteria in a galaxy that has lived in relative peace after the very bloody and brutal Clone Wars.

anyways, dianethx and ROTSFan are added to the pm lists!

5. Vivid_Scripts

Jan 21, 2004
    Silas Gomah woke early again. Delilah slept cuddled up next to him, resting her head peaceably on his shoulder. The climax of last night's marathon had sent them both into slumber, but he could never rest as easily as she did. She was very strong and motivated and managed to retain her job even after the post-war recovery labor cuts. Her work even offered career opportunities. She even had enough money for school.

The beauty of her form reinforced the feeling of unworthiness that stewed in his heart. They were both children raised in a war, but she'd endured it and grown beyond its influence. War was one of the few things he’d ever been truly capable of. There was a nauseating inadequacy associated with the daily mindless search for work.

He was now dependent on Delilah and her mother. Perhaps the notion that a man must ensure the economic well-being of his mate and family is an old-fashioned and quaint remnant of old patriarchal society, but it still resonated within Silas and weighed heavily on his heart.

"Delilah," he said. She stirred but did not wake. He rocked her gently in his arms and kissed her forehead. "Delilah."

She groaned lightly and squirmed in bed. Rays of sunlight peeked through the blinds and shone down on her face. After a few minutes she could no longer ignore the glare and she looked up at Silas, her furrowed brow conveying a slight annoyance.

"Hey there," he said.

"I told you not to wake me," she grumbled. "I don't have work or school today."

"I have to go out and find a job," he said as he squirmed out from under her and placed her head on a pillow.

"You'd better," she said as she turned on her side. "My mother likes you enough to let you stay here rent-free, but I'm not sure I would be so generous."

"Not even in light of the special services I provide?"

"That's no so much a service provided as it is a mutual exchange." She stretched her arm. "But I do appreciate it, even if you use it to gouge me for food and lodging."

He could hear stifled giggling as he slid out of bed. He wasn't sure what annoyed him more: that she enjoyed teasing him about his joblessness or that she enjoyed his irked response.

"You really are cruel, you know that." He slipped on his sleep pants and a house shirt.

"But I love you, you know."

"And I love you too." He knelt down on the bed and kissed her cheek. "I just wanted to hear your voice before I left."

Delilah tugged at his shirt, pulling him into bed with her. Her sultry gaze made clear her desire, and he could not help but indulge her once more before setting out.

The Yuna County is the second largest region on Iconia after Ico County, which houses the capital. The region consists of a massive megapolis with tall, gleaming towers surrounded by fields of suburbanite housing. These suburban fields resemble concentric circles, with moderate wealth apartments located on the first ring closest to the megapolis, two to three floor duplexes on the second ring, higher wealth three and four floor single family homes on the third ring and luxurious, expansive, elaborate mansions complete with pasture grounds and vineyards are situated on the outermost fourth ring.

The megapolis is a teeming center of activity. Immense financial buildings dwarf multi-story shopping malls, which in turn tower over open-air flea markets. Sections of the megapolis are covered by low-income housing projects, high-rise tenements and ill maintained public parks. Labyrinthine streets swirl through poor neighborhoods while a few major avenues pierce the business districts and follow through all the way to the highway which circumscribes the megapolis.

There are several major air traffic lanes in the megapolis, but most of the transit occurs via ground networks of ground cars or land speeders. Subterranean rail and public buses see frequent use.

Delilah Cirrus lived on the third ring, in what is now a fairly empty three-floor four bedroom house. Darred and Daniel, her older brothers, were both away at universities in far away cit

6. ROTSFan

ROTSFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2006
    Grim times for the citizens, these are. And of course they would spin-doctor it to look like the Jedi.

It was amazing, how absolutely wonderful everything could be with Delilah and how sublimely empty it all was without her. She was the one uniquely stabilizing factor in a life that was otherwise barren. The nineteen year-old had felt pain and heartache before, but how could those emotions ever compare to the void of purposelessness?

=D= Well stated. Very good writing, maybe you'll do more romance in the future [face_whistling]

Unemployment and homelessness were now huge problems for certain portions of the population, particularly for former adolescent soldiers like Silas, who had spent their teenage years battling droids instead of learning trade skills.

Too bad he couldn't actually learn a skill/career field as he fought, like our own real life military. [face_flag]

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved how they spun the bombing to make it look like the Jedi did it - as if anyone but a dark Jedi or a Sith would do such a thing.

Loved this.
    The Parliamentary Resolution to extend the tenure of King Silas Jeffersius and his Administration for six years to ensure executive stability during post-war reconstruction will be ending in a few months. Acting Prince Gomah, who has been serving since his father was badly wounded in the Clone Wars more than five years ago, has been campaigning vigorously so that he might be elected King in the upcoming elections.

The Galactic Device and Communications Commission has just approved a new type of implantable microchip. The chips, which transmit information via narrowband radio frequencies, can be used for personal identification, data storage and financial transactions. GDCC Director Utskil called the chip the 'ultimate miniaturization of the Datapad' and a technology with 'limitless' possibilities and applications.

Oh, yes. Love how you've disguised real political machinations with fiction. Extending tenure, yes, and the chips for tracking people. Cell phones and credit cards and those phones people have in their ears all have the ability to be tracked as does Easypass for cars. A useful tool in a totalitarian society. And people aware of history know how fast it can change from a free society to not...

Great job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.