main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Princess is in another Castle!" - The Mario Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jango10, Jun 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    This thread is to discuss all things Mario. From the first Mario games on the NES to the latest on the Gamecube and Wii. Talk about your favorite classic Mario moments and prepare for upcoming Mario games.

Just to start some discussion, I'm going to ask each of you what your favorite Mario games are. Here are mine (in no particualr order):

Super Mario Bros. 3 (SNES)
    Super Mario World (SNES)
    Super Mario 64 (N64)
    Mario Kart 64 (N64)
    Super Smash Bros. (N64)

Like I said before, discuss anything Mario related!

2. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I cannot wait to get New Super Mario Bros. I know it's gonna be awesome.

3. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I have probably spent more time playing Super Mario Bros 3 than any other game, ever. Probably.

4. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    Me and two of my cousins have been playing Super Mario World rather religiously for the past few weeks, and our patience has paid off. We have finally made it to Bowser. I have came so close to beating him (one or two more hits and he's done), but I have never gone the distance.

When we do beat him, it will be the first time any of us have beaten Bowser in any game...ever.

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I'm kind of sad. No Mario game will ever surpass Super Mario World. I know the argurement can be made, and Raven most definently will argue this point, but SMW was a game that took me over 10 years to finish completly. I beat it repeatedly, yet only found a few of the secret worlds.

My god the secret worlds. The Yoshi Star, the 80's term pipe world, everything about that game was the fantastic.

6. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I took the 10 year plan on SMB3. :p

7. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    Yoshi made that game a plus.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I've never had to take that long for any of the side-scrolling console games. :p Although I've played Yoshi's Island only a couple of times. I plan to buy it off eBay in the near future.

9. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Hmm...

Mario 64
    3/World
    Land 2
    Lost Levels
    Land
    Original

I can't wait to play the New SMB! :D That looks sweet!

Whatever happened to the koopalings? :(
    Larry, Morton, Wendy O, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy, Ludwig Von > Bowser Jr.

10. SkyeLightrider

SkyeLightrider Jedi Knight star 6

Jan 12, 2003
    I can beat that game in 13 minutes. :p

11. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Mario Kart 64 (N64)
    Super Smash Bros. (N64)<<

These really aren't part of "the Mario series", though- they're each their own series and (practically self-established) genre.

Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros (1, 2, 3 & All-Stars), Super Mario World (1 & 2), Mario Land (1, 2 & 3), Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, New Super Mario Bros & Super Mario Galaxy are really the only games that are part of the actual series, with possible addition of the Wario Land series.

I'd have to say SMB3 is still the gold-standard of the series. SMW may have refined the mechanics and added Yoshi and the multiple-exits element to the game (which did had some incredible depth to it), but SMB3 was just platformer perfection and damn hard on top of that.

For 3rd and 4th place, I've yet to decide if I prefer Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine more- Sunshine s underrated, IMO, and while, much like SMW and SMB3, SMS refined the mechanics of M64, Sunshine was far more difficult a game (the retro-zone levels were particularly magnificent, with designs occasionally as sadistic as the demons stored in Soontir's basement fridge) and the hovering capabilities of the water pack brought a whole new level of refinement to 3D platform jumping, improving upon a problem that plagued the genre ever since SM64 created it. And yet, I do so love swinging Bowser about...

I'd also give props to SMB2, which also gets under represented generally. It added a huge array of elements to the Marioverse that are too plentiful to ignore, and it's zany middleeastern dream theme was fairly unique.

12. AidenSunfell

AidenSunfell Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005
    Don't forget Super Mario RPG.
    Now that game was fun, it was the first RPG I understood how to play as a kid.

13. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    RPG introduced me to RPGs in general.
    I hopped from that (barely beating it) to Chrono Trigger.

I recently replayed RPG and just tore through it. The game is ridiculously easy if you follow the basic rule of level up once or twice per area.
    Never could beat that stupid Yoshi race.

But isn't RPG out of the series proper?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    RPG is, IMO, a separate series- RPG is followed by the two Paper Mario titles.

(though, oddly enough, there's another Paper Mario title hiting GCN this year that seems to be more of a platformer instead of an RPG, so we might have a weird example here of a sub-series spinning off of itself back into the core series...)

15. AidenSunfell

AidenSunfell Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 3, 2005
    What about Mario & Luigi? I've never played either of the games in that series but isn't it similar to RPG with turn based combat and timed button presses with some platforming?

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, that might be part of the RPG sub-series to some degree, or it's even it's own RPG sub-sub-series.

17. Moonzo

Moonzo Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2006
    New SMB although very fun is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo short.

I was kinda disappointed.:(

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The problem with NSMB is mostly the boss battles are all repetitive and lack the variety of the Koopa Kids in SMB3 and SMW. It's the creative bosses, like the Moleman Pipe Tank that really provide a challenge on par with SMB3.

19. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    I repeat: I miss the koopalings :(

20. Moonzo

Moonzo Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2006

Ah yes, he was probably the best boss in the game. Much more fun to fight than that final boss, it's like they weren't even trying.

21. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Well from what I gathered, they were trying to go back to SMB basics, but re-envision it.

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Much more fun to fight than that final boss, it's like they weren't even trying.<<

Actually, I found the dual-Bowser battle sufficiently challenging- timing your shell-jumps between the fireballs while avoiding Bowser Jr was pretty tricky, as was ultimately timing your "run-under" of Bowser. Can't say I got through that battle unscathed.

23. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    Yeah, when playing SMW the Moleman Pipe Bosses were the hardest ones! If I recall right, there were two fortresses with that boss.

24. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    I can honestly say, aside from the Resident Evil series, this is the only series of which I've played every single game...

Scratch that... i haven't played any of the DS titles to spin-offs. :(

Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a DS soon.

25. Jango10

Sep 22, 2002
    I havn't played SMW 2: Yoshi's Island (but I've watched someone play it and it looked ridiculuous), Super Mario Sunshine, any of the Paper Mario Games, or any of the DS games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.