main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The problem with killing off Han...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by LordVader89, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    It was his way of resisting the light. He is trying to be the next Dart Vader. Vader's weakness at the end of his life meant he did not finish his great mission. By killing his father, he was trying to prove to himself and Snoke that he did not have such weakness. Of ocurse, I think there is plenty of evidence that he is still conflicted.

2. General_Cartman_Lee

General_Cartman_Lee Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2004
    I'd trade all the EU in the galaxy for one film.

Skellybobs likes this.
  3. xaxiomatic

xaxiomatic Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 26, 2015

So that was the only way he couldn't have just gone out and murdered a bunch of high ranking rebel scum or maybe stop the WMD from getting shot up.

So he is either a poor misguided kid who you should mostly feel sorry for because he just murdered and unarmed old man way past his prime that is actually his dad in some misguided attempt to prove his worth. Not really what I look for in a good villain.

Or just a plain old psychopath who has his wires crossed and is spiralling downwards. I don't see this as a viable option since I cant really see how a spiral into mental sickness would be an enjoyable SW movie experience.

I'm willing to entertain more options if you can think of any.

Now Luke does go through a similar thing at the end of VI since he is tempted to kill his father which would make him turn to the dark side. But the problem here is that the angle is wrong.
    You can relate to why he choses not to do so without much setup needed ... well because who can imagine killing your kin and it's what Jedi are supposed to be anyway.

4. Mulgir

Mulgir Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    I really didn't want him to die, he was my favorite :( [​IMG]

5. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    No meeting up with Lando.
    No meeting up with Luke.
    No ability to force ghost.

6. Mulgir

Mulgir Jedi Youngling

Dec 17, 2015
    Agreed! [​IMG]

7. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I don't really see a problem with killing off Han. The actor didn't want to portray the character anymore, and he chose to go out in a way that raised the emotional stakes of the new trilogy and let us know that no one was safe. That's how you do it.

Honestly, I think people the most upset over Han's passing are the ones who fear aging and death. It's gonna happen guys! We get no say in the matter.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    The character of Han Solo was never meant to have a heroic epic death. This ending for him just feels right, it hurts yes, badly. It's supposed to.

9. darth disappointed

darth disappointed Jedi Youngling

Dec 25, 2015
    Everyone seems to accepting that Han Solo needed to die. Comments such as "I don't want to see a geriatric Solo running around" or "he wasn't suppose to have a heroic death" show a lack of imagination. As a hero of the rebellion why was he not suppose to be a hero? Isn't it possible he could have became a leader in the government or general. That way Han could have lived on and not had to jump into the battle? He could have been a mentor to the new cast members? No, I see his death option as more of a real world poorly thought out business decision. I fear we will see the same for Luke.

10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Same. I love the video games and books and play/read them a lot, but film is king to me.

11. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I already like the new big 3 just as much as the old big 3. So I'll be fine with the further adventures of Rey Finn and Poe as opposed to the Retirement Home Mishaps of Luke Leia and Han.

Which was inherently a problem with the EU. Jacen and Jaina were great characters but they were always crafted as sort of an afterthought to the original trilogy that needed to be surrounded by movie characters to be relevant.

Though of course Traitor was fantastic. Too bad later EU had no faith like that in the lit characters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.