main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Problem With Prequels

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Goldenboy62, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goldenboy62

Goldenboy62 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2002
    I was discussing this with some friends and fellow movies buffs, and I voiced the opinion. In the original Star Wars, when Obi Wan mentioned the "Clone Wars", didn't your mind just go wild with all the possiblilities of what that was all about? When AoTC came out, weren't you just a little bit disappointed? Most of my friends agreed, the actually execution of the Clones Wars was not as compelling as I had imagined it might be.

2. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Don't do this again. Next time it's a ban.

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    *groan*

Not again.

No, my mind did NOT "go wild" with possibilites of what the Clone Wars were about.

And no, I wasn't disappointed with what we got onscreen. I expected the prequels to be different from what they were, but unlike SOME people, I am willing to accept that Lucas made them his way rather than developing clairvoyant powers and tailoring them to suit my expectations.

4. Darkwish

Darkwish Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2001
    Well, we haven't really seen the whole thing. Just the first battle. And I found that to be quite mind-blowing.

5. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    STOP ABUSING THE PREQUELS!!!!

Whoa else has had about enough of all this complaining?!

6. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    When I watched ANH I thought "Clone Wars...most likely, wars in some way involving clones." Nothing more, nothing less.

-Tim

7. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Plenty of the Clone Wars will be left to our imaginations. We saw the opening battle in AOTC, and will presumably see the final battle in Ep3. That means all of the battles in between can be left up to our imaginations! I don't see what the problem is?

8. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    The EU will most likely over-cover the middle of the Clone Wars like they do with everything else.

9. Jedi_Master_Orion

Jedi_Master_Orion Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    okay guys threads like this can be iritating that much I understand, but please try to get your point across nicely and some of you have done that so don't get me wrong

and I believe it was Anakinslave please watch your word use and if you continue this I will notify a mod

10. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    Goldenboy62 is right
    when Obi reveals he was in the clone-wars it sounded something differend as what we have seen
    but oh well we have to bare with it

like Padme
    Portman really sux (worse actress in SW universe)
    another o well i have to bare with it :(

11. TokyoXtreme

TokyoXtreme Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2001
    If you're looking for serious discussion about Star Wars, this is the wrong place. Sorry to break this to ya. Like that's not obvious to everyone already...

12. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    The Clone War was awesome.

What else would expect out of it?

13. AnotherAgentSmith

AnotherAgentSmith Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    When they said intelligent conversation and Star Wars fans here it sounded different from what I have seen! :p

Lol! :p That was too good a one to resist, sorry people. :p

14. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    We haven't even seen all of the Clone Wars yet, it had just begun in AOTC. I don't see how anyone could say the Clone Wars didn't live up to their preconceived expectations if the Clone Wars haven't even been shown in their entirety. All I'm saying is that you should wait until episode III comes out before you unleash your complaints. I'll take the battle of Geonosis over the battle of Hoth or the land battle on Endor anyday.

15. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    The middle of the clone wars not just left to our imaginations but to the video game! I originally thought it was called the "Lone Wars" until a couple of views later. I always thought it would have something to do with Boba Fett, I guess I was right.

16. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    And weren't you disapointed when you saw actual womp-rats in the special edition of ANH and in AOTC ? I certainly was.
    When Luke mentioned "Womp-rats", didn't your mind just go wild with all the possiblilities of what they really were ? 8-}

Give me a break...

17. Ret

Ret Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 17, 1999
    Those rats raped my childhood.

18. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I personally though the Battle of Geonosis was the most breathtaking battle sequence I have ever seen.

I don't really see why people consider it a small skirmish or un-impressive battle.

19. Darth-Schwartz

Darth-Schwartz Jedi Master star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    how would you like it to start?

20. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Man...enter the TROLLS!

Yoou guys are just flaming a new user for voicing any dissent to your perfect view of the film. This is getting pathetic. Seriously.

YES, another person has an actual qualm about the movie. So what??? Just as you say "if you don't like SW, don't watch it!" if you don't like this thread, then don't read it. Plain and simple.

Secondly, all we have seen so far is the Battle of Geonosis. But you are right Goldenboy. First off, there is not going to be a series of "wars." It's going to be one war. And all we will see is some sort of climactic battle. And something tells me that will not be lengthy. I have a feeling the Clone War will be done by the first 20 minutes of the film. The rest of the movie will be more about Palps final scheme to rid the galaxy of the Jedi and Anakin's descent to the darkside.

I actually never thought much of the Clone Wars line in the OT. It just seemed like a casual reference to their history together. So I can't say I really entered with any grand ideas of how it would play out. but in the end it does not matter because once again, something we expected to see, will not actually be in the film.

And then te "true fans" will bash the EU. how could u not write books on this with all of the creative content being left out of the movies???

21. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    and I believe it was Anakinslave please watch your word use and if you continue this I will notify a mod

Dude, relax. I believe the use of the word "bitch" is allowed on this board. The rule is if they don't say it on the Simpsons, it's not allowed. The Simpsons have used the word "bitch" numerous times.

22. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Dude, relax. I believe the use of the word "bitch" is allowed on this board. The rule is if they don't say it on the Simpsons, it's not allowed. The Simpsons have used the word "bitch" numerous times.

LOL

And OH NO! NOT TEXT CURSEWORDS!!!

The way I look at it-

If you are on the internet...
    And you are old enough to know how to register onto a message board...
    You are old enough to see "wordy-dirds."

Not to mention you are a website and/or a click away from milkjugs, garden hoses, and baby ejection tunnels.
    :p

By the way, you mean to tell me that the CLONE WARS were shown in Episode II?

Where?

Is it after the part when Yoda says they have begun? Why, the version I seen... it ended there!

I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

23. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    That was one of the secrets of ANH's initial success. It gave us enough clues and hints to imagine a vast universe full of activity, while keeping the action focused tightly on a mesmerizing story of a seemingly unimportant guy from nowhere who gets caught up in the most important events of his day.

But ANH was stronger for not having shown us everything. If Lucas had made ANH today, it would include a big overblown scene showing the senate being disbanded, with stormtroopers clearing out the office building, overturning desks and lining people up against the walls.

What a waste of our time that would have been. I much prefer to imagine it happening.

Same with the clone wars, of course. Those two words spawned a billion fanboy daydreams. That was the beauty of it.

24. darkOmegazer0

darkOmegazer0 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 18, 2002
    I had no idea those were wamp rats. I remember in the video game of super star wars the wamp rats were big. The ones in a new hope and attack of the clones are alot smaller than what Luke shot the torpedos into.

25. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Actually, those aren't womprats, they're scurriers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.