main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Problem With Prequels

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Goldenboy62, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Quote:
    "Do you think TPM and AOTC are great movies?"

I think they're great within their genre. Is it the Godfather or Casablanca? No. But as sci-fi/fantasy films, yes, I think they're great movies.

And if you're going to declare a film a failure based soley on your opinion then you should qualify it as such and not just state it as fact.

2. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    I really really feel bad for Dr. Evazen, he is the first "cup is broken" type I have met.

If a pessimist is one who declares a cup half empty, how do you describe one who refuses to even acknowledge the cup?

3. I_Hate_Sand

I_Hate_Sand Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 6, 2002
    A minimalist? :p

4. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    Maybe we could call it a hole...

No, a hole would be something, Lucas gave Dr.Evazen "nothing"!

5. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    i said the cup was broken, much like the star wars saga, thanks to the PT. get it?

no wonder GL has to explain everything to his audience.

6. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    i said the cup was broken

A pessimest is one who says the cup is half empty, but what do we call the one who looks at a perfectly good cup and insists that it's broken because it doesn't happen to be his favorite shade of blue?

Edit: "half full"...oops!

7. BIG_BEN

BIG_BEN Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2002
    Er, durwood. A pessimist is one who says the cup is half empty, not half full.
    In answer to your question....color blind? Just kidding.

8. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    If you don't like the PT or the SE jsut don't watch them it is that simple.

9. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    In answer to your question....color blind?

That answer could certainly form the starting point of a very interesting discussion.

10. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    Wel it seems to me that the PT is kinda a private EU of GL

and EU is fine , tho it never match the REAL thing (The OT)

11. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    "If you don't like the PT or the SE jsut don't watch them it is that simple."

i dont. i saw TPM 3 times, twice in a theater and once on dvd. that was enough to convince me it was truly as bad as i thought it was after the first veiwing. AOTC i only saw twice, the second time once again made it clear that the movie was botched. the acting, editing, direction, and writing is not only not up to par with the rest of the saga, it is laughable in comparison to most other films. there were a few exceptions in the acting department, but they were hardly enough to make up for the total lack of anything engaging, engrossing, moving, enlightening or even interesting in the rest of the film.

if you dont like to read criticism of the PT or the SE, just dont read it, its that simple.

12. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Again you don't have to watch it. If there are things you did not like about or what ever.

But there are a lot of people that like it. It also did good.

13. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    I still can't figure out why people have to watch a movie multiple times before realizing that they really don't like it.

I have a feeling that Dr. E will watch Attack Of The Clones on DVD a few more times just to make sure!

14. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Durwood that's something that will never be answered.

15. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    because unlike some people i want to give it a chance and actually try to be objective.

now im wrong for watching the movie again?

i suppose i should have formed my opinions without having seen it at all to make you happy.

16. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    DrE liking AOTC or TPM will also never happen.

but it's all good since that's his choice.

17. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    No said you don't have to watch it. But if you don't like it then way keep going back?

The moive is not going to change the 2nd the 3rd etc times you watch the moive.

It's just like the EU if you don't like it don't read it.

18. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    two viewings for a star wars films is nothing. on one side we have people like gomer who insist you see the films over and over to learn to like them, and on the other we have you and durwood who say twice is too much.

i dont know wether to *&^% or go blind with some of you.

"If a pessimist is one who declares a cup half empty, how do you describe one who refuses to even acknowledge the cup?"

i do acknowledge it. thats why i saw it again.

19. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    Ok here a good example I went and swa regian of fire. I did not like but I did not go back to watch to a 2nd because I knew that I would not like it.

As for what gomer said. I don't kow what to say to that.

All I'm saying is don't go back to see a moive you don't like a 2nd time. Things really don't change.

20. DrEvazan

Jun 19, 2002
    yes, unfortunatley they dont change. i really hoped it would get better the second time.

21. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    That will not happen. If it did change then GL must have put in the deleted scene real fast.

22. Go-Mer-Tonic

Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 22, 1999
    I only say you should see it again if you want to like it.

23. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    It's one thing to see a movie and not be sure of what you think of it, so you go see it again to form an opinion. That I can understand.

But to see a film and hate it with an almost white hot passion, then to see it again thinking your opinion will some how magically change (for what other reason is there to watch movie you know you hate)? That I don't understand!

24. Sophita

Sophita Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Oooyyy. Are we going to start the countdown til this thread is locked soon? [face_plain]

Can I ask a question to some of the bashers here? I've asked this before and I never get an answer, but I figure I'll ask again: Why do some of you guys come to the prequel forums if you hate them so much? do you waste your time posting on something you hate so much? You're free not to like it, that's fine. But why bother to hang out at a forum for fans of that movie, if you yourself are not a fan? :/

Beh, I'll never understand these things, me thinks...

25. anidanami124

Aug 24, 2002
    10 9 8 oh never mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.