The Problem With Prequels

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Goldenboy62, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "But to see a film and hate it with an almost white hot passion"

hahaha

dont try to read my mind and tell me how i feel about something. character assasination continues to get you nowhere durwood. its just a movie, like ive said many times before, but unlike some of you who seem to think it is utterly impossible to view something with an open mind, or objectivity, (wonder why) i like to give things a second chance, which is more than i can say for those of you who cant even consider the possibility that people would not like this movie, or have valid reasons for their disappointment.
  2. scruffy-lookin Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok here a good example I went and swa regian of fire. I did not like but I did not go back to watch to a 2nd because I knew that I would not like it.

Was Reign of Fire a prequel to the most successful movie franchise of all time? Had you, before seeing it for the first time already invested hundreds maybe thousands of hours on the Reign of Fire universe, watching the movies, reading articles, collecting toys and paraphenalia not to mention games and other EU. Some people had and when they found that they didn't like TPM or AOTC on first viewing they naturally choose to give it another chance.

After TPM I thought maybe it was the midnight showing (even though I am always up at that time), or maybe I'd hyped it too much, maybe it was a hundered different things. So I went and saw it again hoping that I would love it this time, I didn't.
  3. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    dont try to read my mind and tell me how i feel about something.

I don't have to be a mentalist to discern your feelings. The bitterness and anger absolutely drips from every post you submit to these forums making your feelings on the matter abundantly clear. Trust me, you're not keeping your emotional state nearly as guarded as you think you are.
  4. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    again, stop with the armchair analysis.

i hate to disappoint you but i sit and laugh at the stuff you write and i enjoy talking about the topics with the rest of the posters. the truly nasty ones like you are the most hilarious, because you flounder about trying to come up with new ridiculous defenses and attacks on other posters to sidetrack your lack of an argument.
  5. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Durwood and DrE you guys are making my time at this forum enjoyable and educating.

i wanne thank you guys. :D
  6. Goldenboy62 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Actually I'm going to do something unprecedented on this thread. After consideration I recant my criticism of AotC for copying the arena combat from Gladiator. Not because of the witty (not), facetious threads, but the one post that logically stated the timeline, and the fact the post production sfx would have had to already be in the works when Gladiator came out for AoTC to come out as soon as it did. Besides, even if were a direct rip-off of Gladiator, it still wouldn't be a valid criticism of something if it were done better, or in some ways different than the original. It's like 20th century foxes claim that Battlestar G was a rip-off of Star Wars back in the day, because I assume they both took place in space and had ships engaged in dogfights.

To respond to the silly statement the the SW's movies are the only films that ppl pick apart, what nonsense. All movies get picked apart. Generally by ppl who really care about them. Case in point Black Hawk Down, was "justly" criticised, for the "fact" that in the movie the soldiers had their names on their helmets, a practice that had actually been abandoned at the time of the incident. Ridley Scott answered the claim by saying he was aware of the fact, but decided to include it because he felt that because of the number of characters it would prevent audience confusion. Question answered everybody happy.

I guess in some ways one could argue (and I wish someone would) that actual criticism of the content of the entire saga is invalid until it's completion, since one really has to take the project as a whole. I'd buy that, and you really can't argue against it.
  7. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
  8. Durwood Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Goldenboy62 re: Ridley Scott -

The only difference is that when Scott made his reasons clear, the media accepted it and moved on. If it were a Star Wars movie, the media would accuse Scott of making excuses, refusing to admit he was wrong, knowingly making a glaring error, ruining the franchise with sloppy continuity, etc., etc.

So the biggest difference is that while other movies do receive some criticism (though not nearly as much as Star Wars) the media is more than willing to give those projects and their creators the benefit of the doubt. They give Lucas no such credit.
  9. scruffy-lookin Jedi Knight

star 3
    If I remember correctly before TPM came out the media, hollywood and the world in general seemed to be queuing up to give him credit for the OT and how it changed not just movies but the entire popular culture.

After TPM was released some sectors of the media haven't been as generous.
  10. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "After TPM was released some sectors of the media haven't been as generous."

I think cause TPM was sub-par compared to the OT'S. starwars fans weren't the only one's disapointed with TPM.
  11. JenX Jedi Knight

star 3
    The only difference is that when Scott made his reasons clear, the media accepted it and moved on. If it were a Star Wars movie, the media would accuse Scott of making excuses, refusing to admit he was wrong, knowingly making a glaring error, ruining the franchise with sloppy continuity, etc., etc.

Are you a member of the media, Durwood? Have you spoken to a significant percentage of the media? I don't think you are, and I don't think you have. It's bad enough trying to tell others posters what they are thinking, even when they repeatedly tell you that you are wrong; now you seem to suggest you are qualifed to speak for the whole of the media!

Inventing media responses so that you can bash them for it...how bizarre.

The problem with the prequels is, for me at least, that the flaws far outweigh the positive moments. There are some good lines, some great action sequences, and the odd bit of believable character moments, but they are heavily outnumbered by the bad stuff.

Ahh well, fingers crossed for Episode 3.

12. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Actually, the prequels have been on par with or better than the classic trilogy across the board, and that isn't meant as a slam on the classic trilogy. That's why the only thing I can think of is the collective media has an axe to grind. Either that, or they really just don't see the substance of the prequels. I would like to assume they are more on the ball than that, being published "professionals" and all.
  13. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    There is no problem with the PT.
  14. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    I do not know, but it seems like this thread is starting out like others have ended. Basher/Gusher War! Yawn!!! I'm gone.Swooosh
  15. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    "There is no problem with the PT."

was that an attempt at a jedi mind trick?

it didnt work.

"Actually, the prequels have been on par with or better than the classic trilogy across the board"

you keep saying this over and over, i hate to break it to you, but repetition wont make it come true.
  16. Ekenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    was that an attempt at a jedi mind trick? No.
  17. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    what happened to "Yawn!!! I'm gone.Swooosh"?
  18. Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost

star 4
    *trying to bend TPM VHS with my mind* There is no problem

and the fact the post production sfx would have had to already be in the works when Gladiator came out for AoTC to come out as soon as it did. Besides, even if were a direct rip-off of Gladiator, it still wouldn't be a valid criticism of something if it were done better, or in some ways different than the original.

This is flawed reasoning. Directors and others in hollywood knew about Gladiator, its premise and had probably seen shots or storyboards or artwork years before it was filmed. So when Gladiator "came out" would not be a real accurate time marker for determining if another movie ripped it off. Just so you know.

I don't find the battle of Geonosis to be a rip off of Gladiator. not directly anyway. When I first found out the spoiler of a gladiator arena scene, rip-off was the first thing that came to mind. it's hard for me to think that mega-success and mega-popular gladiator did not have some influence on AOTC.

What was even more weird to me was that the arena was used to actually tie the good guys to a pole and have monsters eat them instead of just shooting them or killing them quickly. This is the old tried and true cartoon bad guy-method of getting rid of his enemies. Why put this in SW?!?!? Come on, it's just like in G.I. Joe or Transformers when Duke is laying on his back beat up and Destro holds his gun over head and barks "Now you must prepare to die, Duke.....*laughing mercilessly*.."This is your final moment, G.I. Joe...."Any final words before you DIE??? Hmmm???"...*looking at evil colleague and smiling* Then the calvary busts in and ruins everything for Destro and saves the day.

Come on! I just thought the story could have been a little bit more creative.
  19. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I think cause TPM was sub-par compared to the OT'S. starwars fans weren't the only one's disapointed with TPM.

SOME Star Wars fans were. And I think the media exacerbated it, and chose to focus only on the negative. It still continues to. We're supposed to believe that everyone hated TPM and considered it sub-par, when that is not the case.
  20. smauldookie Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That whole AOTC ripping off gladiator is the dumbest thing i've ever heard. :mad:

No,no the whole palpetine/darth sidious are NOT the same is the dumbest thing i've heard here. [face_laugh]
  21. Shelley Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The problem with the prequels is, for me at least, that the flaws far outweigh the positive moments. There are some good lines, some great action sequences, and the odd bit of believable character moments, but they are heavily outnumbered by the bad stuff.

I don't agree.

Ahh well, fingers crossed for Episode 3.

Well, you're probably going to be disappointed with that too. I don't understand prequel bashers who hate two movies so far, but still hang on for Episode III. Before the release of AOTC, bashers said, "If this isn't good, I'm leaving for LOTR/Matrix." Now AOTC is out, the bashers hated that, and they're saying, "If Episode III isn't good, I'm leaving for LOTR/Matrix."

I remember on Fametracker.com, people were mocking AOTC before it even came out, but they were still preparing to see it. When I asked why, I got this reply: "Because I want to come back and make fun of it."

I think that's probably true of many bashers here. They were prepared to hate AOTC before it came out, and they saw it--repeatedly, in some cases--so they could come back and complain.
  22. DrEvazan Jedi Youngling

star 4
    I think that's probably true of many people who liked AOTC here. They were prepared to love AOTC before it came out, and they saw it--repeatedly, in some cases--so they could come back and praise it no matter how bad it was.

yep, it sounds just as silly this way.
  23. Go-Mer-Tonic Jedi Youngling

star 6
    No we just didn't sit on one side of a ravine with our arm folded, expecting George Lucas to bridge the gap to us by moving mountains.
  24. Only_2 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    They've all seen Spartacus and Ben Hur as well. Is AOTC a Ben Hur rip off?

25. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    I think that's probably true of many people who liked AOTC here. They were prepared to love AOTC before it came out, and they saw it--repeatedly, in some cases--so they could come back and praise it no matter how bad it was.

yep, it sounds just as silly this way.

What DrE and Shelly posted

Look DrE its been said before and even been asked before. Why go see a moive you know you hate the 1st a 2nd time? Why come to a place where a great number of people talk about how much they love AOTC?

There are movies I don't like but I don't go to there forums and bash them.

There is no need for it. People who like AOTC should not have to defend why they like AOTC.

That is no fun. Also all I see are basher saying the samething over and over again. They just reword what they said the 1st time.

One more thing gusher bsher wars are not fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.