main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Problem With Prequels

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Goldenboy62, Oct 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediHeretic47

JediHeretic47 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 16, 2002
    Hmm, after reading the first page, may I suggest something to our dear friendly neighborhood bashers?

Don't see Episode Three!

That way, you won't be disappointed. You can "go wild" with imagining what Episode Three is going to be about, and your expectations will never be diminished. Seems like a perfectly logical solution to me.

Of course, all of you could have saved yourselves and everyone else three years worth of complaining if you had had the sense to not see TPM in the first place. As it is, we've suffered through phantom edits and directors and writers and god knows what else. If ya'll had just wanted everything left to the space between your ears, why even go see the prequels at all?

2. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    I said something similar to the bashers JediHeretic47 and they told me to shut up. The truth hurts them.

3. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Shutup.

4. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    hahaha pooja!

5. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I know the truth hurts. ;)

6. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    here is that mirror you were looking for Only_2:

Ok, I looked in the mirror you supplied to me DrE, and I still don't see how any of my comments that you selected either tell someone that they should or should not like the prequels or that they are right or wrong for doing so. And in none of these conspicuously chosen out of context snipets you posted do I try to present my opinions as fact to hold some sort of superiority over anyone here, as you so often do. Some of these comments may be harshly toned, but NOWHERE do tell people that I am right and they are wrong. I tell them what I think of them or their ideas which constitutes my opinion.

I am entitled to an opinion, aren't I? Or am I only entitled to an opinion that is politically correct enough so as not to hurt your virgin ears DrE?

If you are going to select parts of my nasty comments out of context and not post those by the people I was responding to, then your attempt bears no fruit. I didn't repost parts of your comment to Go-Mer. I simply told you to go read it. You decided to post parts of sentences I made out of the context of the discussion I was having with someone else.

Are you sure you are a writer and not an editor? You'd make a great Democratic campaign manager.

7. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Well, you're probably going to be disappointed with that too. I don't understand prequel bashers who hate two movies so far, but still hang on for Episode III. Before the release of AOTC, bashers said, "If this isn't good, I'm leaving for LOTR/Matrix." Now AOTC is out, the bashers hated that, and they're saying, "If Episode III isn't good, I'm leaving for LOTR/Matrix."

Shelley said this in reply to an earlier post of mine. So, because Shelley isn't able to understand, I'll happily explain it to her.

George Lucas wrote and directed ANH. Which was fantastic. George Lucas created the story and helped write TESB, which was fantastic. He did the same for ROTJ, which was good.

So far, out of five films, GL has made two which I really didn't like, one which I thought was good, and two which I thought were fantastic. So, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

If you have problems understanding anything else, Shelley, don't hesitate to get in touch.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    You guys there will be books about the clone wars I say the star wars realese schdele.

9. DrEvazan

DrEvazan Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 19, 2002
    "I am entitled to an opinion, aren't I?"

yes Only_2 you are, but if you are going to whine on and on about my posts, you should check your own superior attitude and genrally rude and dismissive demeanor. there are rules about that on these boards. sorry if the forum is too "politically correct" for you.

which reminds me, again and again you bring politics into the equation. perhaps you are altogether in the wrong place.

if you have a problem with me telling gomer he is wrong for telling me what my expectations are without reading my mind, i dont know how else to help you. he doesnt know what they are, and he is wrong to assume he does.

im not going to throw IMOs at the end of every post just so you can understand my opinions are just that.

its all just another way of diverting attention from the real argument anyway.

10. Only_2

Only_2 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 21, 2002
    When someone in the media says

"I think you are a criminal." it is an opinion.

when the same person says

"You are a criminal." without actual proof, it is Libel.

But at TFN,

When DrEvazan tells Go-Mer he is "wrong" without being able to back it up, he is exempt from having to qualify his opinion as such, in his mind anyway.

Why is this?

I think DrEvazan, you are convinced that it is not simply your opinion but that you are right and feel the need to show everyone here that you are right by telling anyone who disagrees with you that they are wrong. I don't buy that you are too lazy to say "I think" or "In my opinion" or even the lazy internet "IMO". If it is really just a case of laziness, well then I feel sorry for you.

This previous is all just my opinion.

11. Miiike

Miiike Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 16, 2001
    The problem with prequels:

Rather than actually discussing the films and aspects of the films, the most discussed topics are (1) bashers trying to convince gushers that the films suck and everyone thinks the films suck and (2) gushers trying to convince bashers that the films are great and everyone thinks the films are great.

Why does anyone actually care to "prove" that the films are good or bad or that the general audience loved or hated it?

As a discussion board, obviously opinions of people as to whether particular pieces of the film are good or bad will and should come up and should be discussed. However, bashers and gushers (both terms used way too often and easily in here) arguing back and forth whether the films are great or terrible and how the "rest of the world" views them is pointless. No one is changing their minds and each use "facts" that are suspect at best to support the statement that the rest of the world agrees with their position (bash or gush). Would it not be more interesting to discuss specific pieces of the films, how they relate to the saga and whether we think the particular piece was a good or bad choice or well acted or not?

If not, I would be very interested to know, from both sides, why each is so interested in convincing the other that the rest of the world agrees with them.

12. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Miiike, you ask an interesting question, and I agree, it does suck that people on these boards can't have cordial discussions, but the answer why they can't is very simple: It's hard to discuss anything in depth when you disagree on a fundamental level.

So the problem at its root is this: The "gushers" want to talk about how great the movie is, and the "bashers" want to talk about how much it sucks. When these two forces meet, conflict is inevitable.

13. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    The problem with the prequels is that certain critics and fans wouldn't know a good Star Wars movie if it fell on them with the weight of a Bantha!

Yeah, I'm talking about YOU!

14. Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi

Ben-Obi-Wan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 28, 1999
    The Problem With Prequels

that it is only a Prequel
    and not the Main thing

15. Yoda_Not_Grover

Yoda_Not_Grover Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2001
    Dr E and the attacks upon him have made this an interesting topic. I find that I'm siding with Dr E.

The problem with the prequels is that their creation seems more "pot luck" then pre-deisgn. Why did GL make them? It was expected of him. and because he could. So he just finally deciding to sit down and write them in his little notebook. They don't seem to show very much forethought in the area of story. They don't seem to fit together very well and don't fit much at all with the Original Saga.

The problem with the Prequels is that Mr. Lucas is "making them up" as they go along. Now the same could be said for the Original Saga, but in that case there was no preset boundary that they had to conform to, i.e, not 7th, 8th and 9th films. The prequels are a mess by comparison.

16. Masterkyp44

Masterkyp44 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2002
    when Obi reveals he was in the clone-wars it sounded something differend

That makes no sense. It sounds like a war with clones in it like someone said before. And AOTC had a war with clones in it..thus the clone wars. I thought the geonosis war was amazing and in no way let me down. Now when I go back and watch ANH hope and Obi-wan mentions the clone wars I have an idea of what he's talking about. Probably wont get the whole picture until ep3.

17. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    What happened to Al and Dr. E? I miss those crazy kids :)

Anyway, I don't have a problem with people who have a problem with the prequels. But I do have a problem with people who think ROTJ was a good film. That's JUSTIN SANE! :p

18. Jedi_Learner

Jul 10, 2002
    I miss Dahveed72. :(

19. Master_Infamous

Master_Infamous Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2002
    The only problem with the prequels are the Whiny 30 and 40 yr old OT fanboys!!!!

20. Goldenboy62

Goldenboy62 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2002
    Damn, I thought this thread was dead! Anyway I continued to think about the Problems with Prequels. How's this? Do any of you think that the Ot should be remade now that the PT has come out? The two trilogies feel like two sets of different films. There are consistency flaws. Case in point. The Stormtroopers in the final battle of AOTC seem like very competent soldiers, and the last scene of the vast army marching onto the transports is chilling. Why are the Stormtroopers portrayed as so inept in ANH and ROTJ? That stunt Solo pulls (also duplicated in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome) was funny when the film came out, but if you watch the same scene after watching AOTC you're left thinking "No F@#!king way!" Same thing with the battle on Endor. These are not the same troopers from AOTC, and you have to consider that some of those troopers would be veteran warriors by now.

Also it seems that the overall epic seems to be the story of Anakin, not Luke. Since ANH was the most marketable of the stories at the time. Vader is just a villian with no real backstory. he comes across as just a henchman. Now that the PT is out it seems that Vader and his motivations should be more prevalent in the OT. His is the head that we should really be more into.

21. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I don't think the OT needs to be remade.

Yes, some things don't fit together as nicely as some people would like, but it does not bother me.

The OT is too great to remake differently. I love the PT as much as I love the OT, just so you know.

22. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    During my 16 year wait for the prequels I never thought there'd be complaints like this. They're new Star Wars movies, for God's sake.

23. Yoda_Not_Grover

Yoda_Not_Grover Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 13, 2001
    When the prequel trilogy is complete, they should wait 16 years and then REMAKE the Orignal Trilogy. Then, 16 years after that they should remake the Prequel Trilogy. And then..

24. Gomer 1 Kenobi

Gomer 1 Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 1999
    The prequels don't have problems, because they aren't sentient.

People have problems.

Some of 'em anyway.

25. Gary_Kurtz_is_a_punk

Gary_Kurtz_is_a_punk Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2002
    The problem with the prequels? A severe lack of full-frontal nudity and blood-splattering violence. [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.