main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The problem with Star Wars Games today

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by RONDC20, Aug 23, 2011.

1. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    The problem with Star Wars Games today is that they lack focus and polish. I just got finished playing Force Unleashed 2 and boy talk about disappointing. I thought the first one was pretty lousy, but the second one is just UGH!

This is going to be a rant about how I feel that there have not been any decent Star Wars Video Games in the past 5 years. Take for example Force Unleashed. The first real Star Wars game for the Next Gen Consoles. No I don't count any of the Lego Games. This game is lazy. It's lazy in almost every way. Low, rushed production value. It was treated like a half assed Movie Tie in Game and it shows. They cut so many corners. Like not having Starkiller's mouth move when he's talking to Juno through com or how the back of his robes disappear when you turn the camera to face him on the Death Star Level or how when in the Sarlacc and the ground vibrates and moves Starkiller remains completely still and his feet actually phase through the ground. It's things like this that scream lazy, half assed production.

Now lets talk about the lightsaber combat. It's lazy, uninspired and extremely shallow. I have never played any Star Wars game where you play a Jedi where the Lightsaber combat was deep and engaging. It's always been un focused and all over the place. Where your just slashing randomly at nothing in particular with no real focus in mind. I'd like to see a Star Wars Game where you play a Jedi with a more focused and polished Lightsaber Combat System. A system like Assassin's Creed or Batman Arkham Asylum. More focused and grounded and not random slashing with excessive combos. Seriously what was up with all those combos, too many combos to learn that were not even needed.

Also in future Star Wars Game where you play a Jedi? Lets tone down the force powers. The Force Unleashed games went way overboard with the Force Powers. Starkiller is way too broken a character. It was ridiculous. It was overkill and way over the top.

Enough with the prequel era. I'm sick of it. I don't know about the rest of you but I want to play a Star Wars video game heavily versed the the classic trilogy and not the prequels. I want to play a star wars game where you play as Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, not just as cameos for a short amount of time, but as the main characters in a story driven game that takes place in the Classic Trilogy era.

I'm talking about a traditional action/adventure game where the main character is Luke or Han Solo. .

How cool would a Han Solo game be. A third person action/adventure shooter game with a cover system like Gears of War or Uncharted Drake's Fortune. It would perhaps be set before A New Hope and would follow Han Solo and Chewbacca on an adventure set before they went to Tattoine. It could even have Lando in the game.

I just want to play as my favorite classic trilogy heroes. I want to play as Luke or Han, Hell I would even settle playing as Leia.

A Luke Skywalker game set after Return of the Jedi where he starts to become a total badass jedi. I crave these things. A Boba Fett game...Nuff Said.

So much material, so many novels and comic book series they could turn into Video Games.

Lucasarts seems to have lost their way when it comes to Star Wars games. The Only decent Star Wars game coming out is Old Republic, but that is due to Bioware and not Lucasarts. Lucasarts seems to be standing still while the rest of the Video Game making community is pushing forward. There is so much potential that is being wasted.

2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Calm down dear, it's only a video game.
    [image=http://img.thisismoney.co.uk/i/pix/2010/06/winner_203x150.jpg]

3. RONDC20

RONDC20 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 10, 2001
    I'll calm down when Lucasarts makes a decent console Star Wars video game again.

4. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Didn't you see my Star Wars Kinect thread?

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Wall of text.

6. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I leik star warz.

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    So stop hoping for Lucasarts to make something good and go buy a different game instead; there's a plethora of amazing alternatives just waiting to be played.

8. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002

9. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Still waiting for Factor 5's unpublished Rogue Squadron game to see the light of day... sadly it looks like it won't... anytime soon.

10. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
  11. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    That game, to me, looks like it has a lot of issues... especially regarding the controls. It looks.... clunky.

12. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I thought TFU was a pretty exciting game and was fun to play and I liked the added dimension to the story.
    I will agree TFU II sucked if for no other reason than for what I paid for it and the amount of game play I got out of it really didn't match up. Way to short.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    LucasArts will continue to pump out crappy games because people keep buying them.

How many awful "The Clone Wars" games are they going to come out with?

You played TFU1 and were disappointed by it, yet you bought TFU2 anyway.

You were fooled twice, shame on you.

Btw, I thought the lightsaber combat in the Jedi Knight series, especially Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, was excellent.

14. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    I'm curious, if we are strictly talking console games, what are these super good games you are referring to? Jedi Starfighter? Bombad Racer......? The Jedi Knight games were okay, but had exactly the kind of issues/character interaction/slash issues you mention. While not to your satisfaction, could you not say TFU or even Battlefront I and II were huge improvements?

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You're complaining about low calibre Star Wars products and you mention the prequels. Did the correlation not escape you? The best days of Star Wars (barring TOR) are behind us.

ES

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol I just noticed Rahm Kota is his icon.

17. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Feels closer to ten years to me

"Decent" is the keyword here. Its gonna sell like hotcakes but I don't see it hanging on to subscribers.

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    I heard a lot of people who've played TOR at various cons say it feels kinda "meh".

19. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Wouldn't surprise me if TOR ends up being a big pile of poodoo.

And how dare you firesaber, Bombad Racer was awesome.

20. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    You know, what someone said about playing as Leia isn't that bad an idea.

I mean, her Jedi training hasn't exactly been a feature of many books.

Alternatively, ME-style game set during the Vong War. Have your entire party as the Solo kids!

21. ZanderSolo

ZanderSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2007
    The last Absoluetly Great SW game to me was Academy (Jedi Knight Series). Other than the occasional laggy person, the game was a BLAST online.

And I'm about 150% sure people have been asking for a JK game set during the Vong War. Would be a great place to chop off limbs, and the resistance of the Vonduun(m?) crab armor to LS makes the multihits playstyle not-lote breaking.

22. firesaber

Mar 5, 2006
    [face_devil]

23. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I'll admit I haven't even played the Jedi Knight games yet.

Star Wars has seen some pretty decent games in general, if not recently. We've gotten the Rogue Squadron games, KotOR I and II, Battlefront I and II and Shadows of the Empire among others. I also have a soft spot for the Lego Star Wars series, and Bounty Hunter was actually kind of awesome. I even think the original Clone Wars game for PS2 had its moments. Obviously these have mostly come out before the time frame given of the last five years, but several are in Flare's cut-off of ten years.

The past few years have seen quite a few clunkers though. Empire at War was meh; I couldn't get into it and am not certain if I ever will, so I'm not even quite sure why I haven't sold it or given it away. Really disappointing because I usually love RTS's. I was never a huge fan of Episode I Racer or Jedi Starfighter either, and I sold both years ago (or maybe I lost Episode I Racer and sold Jedi Starfighter...). The Revenge of the Sith adaptation was pretty bad. I never got the chance to play TFU but I read the graphic novel and honestly the new dimension infuriated me in the same way Ahsoka's existence infuriates me; the added dimensions aren't even needed and also introduce a bunch of major plot-holes. Too bad because I was psyched to try it when it was being developed and they were releasing videos, even though I would have been confined to the PS2 version. I was never even a big fan of Dark Forces even though I like Kyle Katarn. I have no desire to play the myriad of Clone Wars games.

I think the best thing they could do right now is release a new starfighter dogfighting game, whether it's a Rogue Squadron game or not. Those games have a lot of fans and I think people would welcome a new one.

I doubt there's much chance of LucasArts making an EU centric game. I mean, they made TFU but they didn't really advertise it as EU. KotOR is brilliant but not made by them either.

24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i recently got kotor 2 on pc. i used to have it on xbox, and played it hundreds of hours then. i am having fun with it. the complexity of your companions and the wealth of conversation options depending on your alignment and sex was awesome. The force powers were far better then kotr 1 or any other star wars game by far. This game is still fun to play. everyone hates on kotor 2, but it was actually better than the first one in many areas. i wish to God someone would make more star wars rpg games. it is frustrating.

i won't ever play a mmo, so i guess were screwed now.

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    No. :p