main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The problem with Star Wars Games today

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by RONDC20, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Good joke. [face_laugh]

2. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    Fixed.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Oh, no. I agree that Star Wars games (heck, most games in general) lack focus and polish. However, his reasoning is fallacious.

And seriously, complaining about a game feature that is supposed to be that way (as implied in the title of the game) is ridiculous:

Thank you Sherlock. That was the point of the game.

4. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    So he articulated himself in an unfortunate manner. If he had said that he just plainly doesn't like the TFU series and the direction it takes with the material, and would like more traditional or just other types of games from LucasArts in the future, it would have been a perfectly valid opinion to express.

5. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    random thoughts and musings: I find it unfortunate that BioWare decided to roll the potential for any further KotOR sequels into TOR. Like a lot of people with semi-normal lives, I don't have enough time to dedicate to an MMO to make it worth the fee. I was fine with TFU as a concept, but it was executed poorly, both intentionally in things like enemy progression, and unintentionally in things like the bug that made me quit and restart just to be able to finish the Star Destroyer sequence. I never bothered with the sequel. KotOR was quite clearly amazing, and KotOR II was a very good sequel, although I'll have to disagree with whoever said it was better than the original. The Dark Forces series were each good for their respective times, if never ground-breaking. All the flight-based combat games were a blast. The Lego games are fairly lowest-common-denominator, sure, but I'm glad they got to SW first instead of wearing out the gimmick on Batman and HP and PotC before getting to a series I really cared about. Call me a heretic or what have you, but SotE was merely ok to me. RTS games were never my cup of tea anyway, but I don't think any of the SW ones were ever the best in the genre.

Sooooo, tl:dr maybe the original poster is right, and the best days of the games are 5-10 years behind us. I say so what? The best days of the movies are 30 years behind us, and I'm ok with that. Besides, it means that the cream of the crop can be played on a sub-$1000 PC, so dig up a bit of the past, and enjoy.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Word, old timer.

7. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    I really hope they will make space game as an update in Swtor with a stpryline and all that jazz.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Still crossing my fingers for a General Grievous themed dance simulator.

9. Nagai

Nagai Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 15, 2010
    Thats probably cheap and easy to make.

10. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000

Way too old, my friend. I barely recognize anyone here. All the old crowd is gone. Who am I going to reminisce about playing JK multiplayer with? If I say Saber-X or Spork now people won't know what the hell I'm talking about. And all your awesome skins...

11. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    I thought The Force Unleashed was one hell of a game. Compared to other games on the market, I really do think LucasArts has the best out there, IMHO. I don't usually find myself upset that a SW video game isn't good because they usually are. Some of the early SW computer games were a bit rugged and sometimes you couldn't finish them because there just was no way around it. The programming was limited. But I'd say as far as SW video games goes, in general, they kill most games out there today. And with LucasArts, with the quality that they put out you can never go wrong. Just my two cents.