main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Progression of a Scene

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Corrin_Wyndryder, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corrin_Wyndryder

Corrin_Wyndryder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 17, 2001
    Many years ago, I wrote a script for a fanfilm I swore that, one day, I would have the resources and dedication to make. This script had the following scene written in it:
    --------------------------
    EXT - NANDOOITH FOREST - DAY (7)

The METEORS crash into the planet. The LAMBDA SHUTTLE pulls up and maneuvers away from danger.
    --------------------------
    I let the ideas sit on the back burner for a few years, trying coming up with the best ideas I could without deciding on anything.

A few years later, a talented individual who goes by the name ConceptArtist offered his services to me as a conceptual artist. Among the dozens of pictures he has drawn for me to date, the following painting was created by him:

[image=http://www.weareboring.com/images/misc/corrin_select/meteors.jpg]

Using this image, I was able to draw up a series of simple storyboards in a shot list. This list was given to another talented artist, Zachery Porter. With that list he drew up much better storyboards. With the use of Final Cut Pro, the folowing animatic was created:

Right Click > Save As
    (Sorensen 3 | 54 Sec | 8.0Mb)

The next logical step was to create a motion animatic with those images. This was done using Discreet Combustion and assembled using Adobe Premiere Pro.

Right Click > Save As
    (Sorensen 3 | 54 Sec | 12.4Mb)

The latest step in creating this scene was to utilize Google, Combustion, 3DS Max, and Sony Vegas 5.0 to bring those images to life. The final result, sans credits, is actually shorter than the previous animatics for timing and pacing of the scene. I would love to spend more time fine tuning and tweeking every shot until it was absolutely perfect. However, as I was allowed to use a crew of classmates and get college credits for the time I spent working on this project, the final deadline for this scene is this Thursday. So, in keeping up with my other projects, here is the finished video form of the animatic.

Right Click > Save As
    (Sorensen 3 | 57 Sec | 8.6Mb)

The next step in this project is to film the actors who will be piloting the ship, composite them inside of the cockpit, and insert those shots into the scene.

Once the scene is in its final edit, audio will be added, it will be placed in its finished location, and a musical score will be finalized.

Thank you for all your help to everyone who's encouraged me on this project.

2. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2002
    Very nice! And you have your first DVD 'extra'. :)

Also, fantastic proof that I need to get my hands on 3DSMax.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.