main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Prologue to the A New Hope novel and its relation to Episode III: A breakdown

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by jedi_master_ousley, Dec 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The prologue to the novel for A New Hope is basically a history of the years that led to the formation of the Empire. It presents some great hints about what could happen in Episode III, which is incredible since the novel was written before A New Hope was even released in theaters. The prologue is this:

ANOTHER galaxy, another time.

The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that . . . it was the Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.

Aided and abetted by restless, power-hungry individuals within the government, and the massive organs of commerce, the ambitious Senator Palpatine caused himself to be elected President of the Republic. He promised to reunite the disaffected among the people and to restore the remembered glory of the Republic.

Once secure in office he declared himself Emperor, shutting himself away from the populace. Soon he was controlled by the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office, and the cries of the people for justice did not reach his ears.

Having exterminated through treachery and deception the Jedi Knights, guardians of justice in the galaxy, the Imperial governors and bureaucrats prepared to institute a reign of terror among the disheartened worlds of the galaxy. Many used the imperial forces and the name of the increasingly isolated Emperor to further their own personal ambitions.

But a small number of systems rebelled at these new outrages. Declaring themselves opposed to the New Order they began the great battle to restore the Old Republic.

From the beginning they were vastly outnumbered by the systems held in thrall by the Emperor. In those first dark days it seemed certain the bright flame of resistance would be extinguished before it could cast the light of new truth across a galaxy of oppressed and beaten peoples . . .

Interesting, eh? Well here is a thorough breakdown of the points in it with what we now know from The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones...

The Old Republic was the Republic of legend, greater than distance or time. No need to note where it was or whence it came, only to know that . . . it was the Republic.

This reminds us of just how long the Republic stood before it turned into the Empire. This is proof that one person can in turn change the fate of entire galaxy, whether for good or for evil. It shows just how evil Palpatine really is if he can change the tradition of such things as the entire Republic.

Once, under the wise rule of the Senate and the protection of the Jedi Knights, the Republic throve and grew. But as often happens when wealth and power pass beyond the admirable and attain the awesome, then appear those evil ones who have greed to match.

This also speaks of Palpatine himself. Whether he had the plan of galactic domination from the beginning or his plans were continuously growing and expanding to larger things as he climbed the political ladder, I do not know, but I do know that he had the plan in mind once he set up the blockade of Naboo, so in turn he could "prove" that Valorum was "worthless," get Valorum out of office, and get new leadership in. Just how much influence he had over the voters may never be known, but the fact remains that he won the election.

So it was with the Republic at its height. Like the greatest of trees, able to withstand any external attack, the Republic rotted from within though the danger was not visible from outside.

Palptine again. He

2. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Man, Ousley, your brain is always running in overdrive.

I love it :D

I want to really have time to sit a think about all this...

But I will say that I never believed the speculation that Anakin kills Mace. I didn't know that Mace felt so strongly about Anakin, this tells me that he will die trying to save him... bringing another element of tragedy to the story.

Anakin's going to do some messed up things. But killing Jedi Masters? I don't know about all that. If I were to speculate I'd say that the only person he kills as Anakin is Dooku. Indirectly responsible for the deaths of others is plausible... but the cold blooded murder of fellow Jedi before his ultimate turn (this IS a two hour turn to the Dark Side after all)??... I have extreme doubts about that.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    I see your POV, RS77, but we're not going to see all of the Jedi Order being wiped out by Palps and Vader.

Mace's purpose in the sage is to be a symbolic representation of the Jedi Order circa the PT - when he dies, probably by Vader's hand although possibly Sidious', that will represent the beginning of the end for the Order. IMHO, at least.

I was really struck by the prologue as well, Matt - I re-read ANH a few months back.

The basic story is the same, but there's a lot that has changed.

I can't see Palps as being closed off and becoming a figurehead, while the Grand Moffs et al do their thing.

The PT is Palps' story as much as Anakin's, in a way, and I can't see him being shunted off to the side.

4. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    That's a rather insightful analysis, Ousley. I must quibble about one small point, however. You equate the "rotting" of the republic with Palpatine's rise:

Palptine again. He infiltrated the Senate, and his treachery grew at a slow, steady, and patient pace, where looking from the outside people didn't realize anything was going on until it was too late.

I don't think this is quite right. It's more complex. The corruption and greed began before Palpatine's rise to power, and his rise was in part seen as a reaction against that corruption.

Look at the situation at the beginning of TPM. Valorum wishes to resolve the blockade, but due to the greed and corruption that has overrun the senate he is powerless to do so. Palpatine promises to put an end to corruption - which he does, by establishing his tyrannical regime.

5. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Exactly.

The Republic has been around for a LONG time, and corporate politics and corruption have grown and taken a stranglehold on the Senate.

The Republic is also so vast that I sincerely doubt it could police every corner of the GFFA.

How old is Sidious? How long have the Sith been waiting? Either way, Palpidious knew the time was ripe - the Sith had been "extinct" for so long that the Jedi would never realize what was happening, and politics were so convoluted it would be facile to manipulate one group against the other.

I was speculating a while back, possibly in one of your threads Matt, about the possibility that the Dark Side "feeds" off of corruption, pain and misery in the GFFA.

And therefore since there is so much turmoil, Sidious would be incredibly powerful, and the Dark Side would create a huge imbalance in the Force.

Perhaps Palpidious was waiting for this as well.

6. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    I see your POV, RS77, but we're not going to see all of the Jedi Order being wiped out by Palps and Vader.

I know, thank god... talk about overkill.

Mace's purpose in the sage is to be a symbolic representation of the Jedi Order circa the PT - when he dies, probably by Vader's hand although possibly Sidious', that will represent the beginning of the end for the Order. IMHO, at least.

You do bring up a good point though. It goes back to what is Mace's purpose? Does he represent all the Jedi? Does he represent their arrogant inability to change- he doesn't see Anakin for what he will become and then dies for that mistaken belief? But you could be right. I'd be more inclined to believe he dies by Sidious' hand, I think that's more likely. I mean, who else is Sidious' going to fight, since there is a strong possibility that he does?

Palptine again. He infiltrated the Senate, and his treachery grew at a slow, steady, and patient pace, where looking from the outside people didn't realize anything was going on until it was too late.

I don't think this is quite right. It's more complex. The corruption and greed began before Palpatine's rise to power, and his rise was in part seen as a reaction against that corruption.

I do agree that corruption and greed began before Palpatine had anything to do with the Senate. I wouldn't say he was reacting aganist that corruption, but he was exploiting it. Heck, it most forms of government that exists. It took evil genius Palpatine to infiltrate the Senate and very gradually use it's own greed aganist it- for the purpose of his own greed. And the above statement is right... it happend so slow and gradually that no one really notices until it's too late... sure they notice the corruption of the Senate at large- but not Palpatine, who is the real threat. The Jedi don't notice, and worst of all Anakin himself doesn't know the part he plays in it all until it's too late.

7. Aiwendil

Aiwendil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I wouldn't say he was reacting aganist that corruption, but he was exploiting it.

Yes, certainly he was exploiting it. What I said was that his rise to power was seen as a reaction against the corruption. He promised to put an end to corruption and to the faineance and incapacity of the government to take action. He did all these things - the catch was that he did it by establishing a tyranny.

8. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Hmmm...here's some interesting speculation on a possible plot point (well, I think it's interesting):

Ousley's ANH prologue says the Emperor becomes increasingly isolated, and many of his sycophants are able to essentially work on their own schemes, impliedly without Palpatine's knowledge. I kinda doubt that Palps would have anything happen without his okay or at least awareness.

Anyway - if you think about it, Palpatine is probably the most protected man in the galaxy. At least, one would assume so - there's many factions that would like to take a shot at him, if they could reach him.

I'm assuming that the Jedi in Episode III will be one of those groups - they'll FINALLY figure out that Palps=Sidious and try to respond.

So, how do they reach him?

Are we going to see:

Obi-Wan
    Obi-Wan and Yoda
    Obi-Wan and Yoda and Mace
    Yoda
    Yoda and Mace
    Mace
    (or perhaps add Anakin to any of these)

"run the gauntlet" so to speak, to reach Palpatine?

I figured Anakin would probably be with Palpatine at that time, so Mace, Obi-Wan, and Yoda are the most likely candidates.

9. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I like the idea of 'running the gauntlet.' I can picture one of the powerful Jedi battling his way through clonetroopers and imperial guards, only to be overwhelmed by the power of sidious. Maybe Mace...plowing his way through countless clonetroopers, and a sea of red cloaked imperial guards. Unstoppable until he finally confronts Sidious and is killed.

10. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Yes, certainly he was exploiting it. What I said was that his rise to power was seen as a reaction against the corruption. He promised to put an end to corruption and to the faineance and incapacity of the government to take action. He did all these things - the catch was that he did it by establishing a tyranny.

Gotcha ;) And absolutely agreed.

And I really like your scenario there StormCloud8.

11. Ghost_Jedi

Ghost_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 27, 2003
    So, how do they reach him?

Are we going to see:

Obi-Wan
    Obi-Wan and Yoda
    Obi-Wan and Yoda and Mace
    Yoda
    Yoda and Mace
    Mace
    (or perhaps add Anakin to any of these)

"run the gauntlet" so to speak, to reach Palpatine?

Hay, what about Kit Fisto? ;)

12. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Why thank you rebelscum77.

Another scenario I think could happen would be Obi-Wan confronting Sidious. I remember I wrote a long post about this sometime a while ago. As the PT has developed, Obi-Wan has become central to the action, but more importantly, he has become the one who seems to uncover evil plots and fight the bad guys one on one. First he confronts Maul, then Jango Fett, then Dooku. He is also the one who uncovers the clone army, and who learns the name Darth Sidious from Dooku. For this reason, I sort of suspect that Sidious may choose Obi-Wan as the one to finally reveal himself to. In fact, this would be the perfect way to drive the final wedge between Anakin and Obi-Wan. If Obi-Wan knows the truth, and tries to convince Anakin, obviously we know Anakin would side with the Chancellor. This could be one of the factors leading to their falling out.

And it would make a great scene. Perhaps in the Chancellor's office. Palpatine reveals his dark visage to Obi-Wan, and tells him the truth about the Sith. When Obi-Wan tries to capture or battle Sidious, he is besieged by Royal Guards, thrown out of the office, and realizes he will never again get close enough to Palpatine to stop him. So he turns to Anakin to try to get his aid in battling Palpatine, but instead, Anakin goes after Obi-Wan. In fact, it would make sense that Sidious would do this on purpose, to drive his new apprentice once and for all over to the Dark Side. His final manipulation in the grand scheme to turn the Chosen One to the Dark Side.

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    [mr. burns] ex-cellent [/mr. burns]

I think that's great, storm.

I can see it now: Obi-Wan is battling frantically, trying to hold off Red Guards, Clonetroopers, some other bad guys, then he sees Anakin run into the room.

"Anakin! Thank the Force you're here! It's Palpatine that has been behind everything! We've got to stop him!"

"I'm sorry, Master (sarcastic on the "Master"). Palpatine has shown me the truth - the truth about the Republic, the Force, even the Jedi order! I have a new master now. I'm sorry it has to be this way, Obi-Wan."

I never really thought about it, but it's going to be pretty powerful the first time we hear Anakin calling his Master "Obi-Wan"...ditto for calling Palps "Master".

I think Palp could reveal himself to Mace and/or Yoda as well.

This would feed his ego b/c they are the Big 2 of the Order. How many times have they stood 5 feet away from him, not knowing a thing?

Plus, if he could hold off one or both of the Big 2, it would truly establish his power.

14. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    I agree with you again stormcloud8.

In fact, this would be the perfect way to drive the final wedge between Anakin and Obi-Wan. If Obi-Wan knows the truth, and tries to convince Anakin, obviously we know Anakin would side with the Chancellor. This could be one of the factors leading to their falling out.

Interesting point about Obi-Wan constantly being the one to "discover" neferious people and plots. And I have always thought that Anakin would be the last to know about Palpatine. Obi-Wan trying to convince him would indeed drive a wedge between them. Anakin would see it as Obi-Wan continuing to plot aganist him, and "hold him back". Anakin distrusts everyone (except for the right person), he has to have a really important reason in Obi-Wan's case.

15. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    With Anakin being "held back", I think it's more of Anakin wanting to be correct and not wrong all the time.

I can see him saying "You're wrong about him" when confronted by Obi Wan. Obi will make the mistake about commenting about him already breaking Jedi code by marrying and that will allow Anakin to cut his ties to the Jedi.

16. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    "Hold back" has a lot of meanings. It's an all purpose excuse. When Anakin says it after the Tuskens he means Obi-Wan is holding him back power-wise. But you're right, part of it IS that Anakin wants to be right for once, and not have (what he sees as) Obi-Wan belittling him all the time.

17. JMax

JMax Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 21, 2003
    Do you think Anakin truly felt remorse when he slaughtered the Tuskens or did he feel more that justice was served? He called them animals during his tirade to Padme. I think he felt like he did the right thing.

And his justification for that will allow him to agree with Palp's need for force to attain order.

18. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    In my dreams here, I have seen the destruction of the Jedi. The death of the Republic. I have seen the Temple in ruins, the Senate smashed, and Coruscant itself shattered by orbital bombardment from immense ships of impossible design. I have seen Coruscant, the seat of galactic culture, become a jungle far more hostile and alien than any on Haruun Kal. I have seen the end of civilization.

This sounds like it could be referring to Yuuzahn Tar not the Empire. The Vong ships would be of impossible design to the Republic. Yuuzahn Tar is definatly more hostile and alien than Haruun Kal.

-Jedi Master Zax Starwalker

19. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    This topic is a little off track...back to the original point...the Prologue...

The only part of the Prologue that doesn't seem to make sense anymore (with 4 more movies released since it was written) is that Palpatine was 'controlled by the boot-lickers.' It is obvious from the way he acted in ROTJ that no one controls this man.

He is also starting to be slightly more controlling in AOTC and in the Clone Wars cartoon. I do hope that he is a demanding, maniacally cackling yellow-eyed freak in EpIII. I think the only moment in the PT when we've seen the future Emperor is when he is whispering in Padme's ear in the Senate during TPM during the vote of no confidence. Besides that, he's doing a pretty good acting job as Mr Nice Guy.

20. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Just for a time reference, I posted this somewhere else back in June/July. It was pretty much a copy/paste...a few of my ideas have changed since then, I probably should have updated them. [face_blush]

21. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    In my dreams here, I have seen the destruction of the Jedi. The death of the Republic. I have seen the Temple in ruins, the Senate smashed, and Coruscant itself shattered by orbital bombardment from immense ships of impossible design. I have seen Coruscant, the seat of galactic culture, become a jungle far more hostile and alien than any on Haruun Kal. I have seen the end of civilization.......this has been gnerally agreed to be mace's forseeing of the Vong conquest of Coruscant, so i suppse mace can se farther in th future than yoda can? well let the argments begin!

22. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Dear God - why are Mace Windu lovers always looking for a fight? Oh, wait... :D

Mace also says in Shatterpoint, when he's rescuing the kids, that Yoda is far more powerful in the Force than he is.

Mace has his talents...he's Miyamoto Musashi and more. But he. is. not. as. powerful. as. Yoda. in. the. Force.

ANYway, back to the prologue - how many of Lucas' ideas have changed since then?

I still think it's relevant as a general overview, but we pretty much know the main events anyway.

The specifics are going to be governed by his new insights into the Force and the Jedi Order and the nature of power as revealed in the PT.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It says that after Palpatine got in he was "controlled by the very assistants and bootlickers he appointed to high office."

At no point does Palpatine seem to be controlled by anyone, if anything this prologue could be seen as a historical document that is either mistaken about who controlled whom, or else is just using it as a symbolic referance about corruption.

In reality it is probably something that was not totally worked out as to how the Emporer would turn out.

24. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    yeah i doubt palpatine is being controlled or was ever controlled by anyone, ever.....i was just joking when i said mace could see the future better than yoda, but that revelation was pretty far in the future, and i think its obvious it is the vong

25. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Hey VadersLaMent,

I like your idea that this was a historical perspective, without all the facts. It is doubtful that the general population knows that Palpatine is a Sith Lord. They think he is just a normal guy, as evidenced by Luke's surprise when the Emperor uses the Force to remove his handcuffs. So, it makes sense that the official history of the Republic/Empire is somewhat inaccurate, with no knowledge of the true nature of Palpatine. He would have kept his powers a close secret.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.