main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The prominent female character

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Kez-Iban, Jun 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Doesn't mean I have to like it. It makes Luke look like he has absolutely no dignity whatsoever. "I'm so desperate for a mate that I'd rather be with a woman who wants to kill me than be alone." I hated Twilight for similar reasons. Bella needed the **** slapped out of her.

There are far, far better tropes if you'd rather Star Wars not establish new ones. Which FWIW, it's not unique to trend setting. Leia was a very new type of female character in 1977 and Lucas was criticized for making her such a feisty smartass. But that's also what makes her a great character.

2. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013

In the pudding.

They've never done it before*, so there's no logical reason to believe they're going to start now. At least not with Isard or Daala... I mean, yeesh. Mara would've had the biggest chance if VII weren't a thing, but the chance that she'll be retconned out of existence puts her in the same boat as every other minor EU character. I'd stake a million bucks on my prediction that no individual book-only or comic-only character will appear in more than one episode. I think there's a better chance for certain videogame characters to cross over, but definitely not as leads.

*With only incredibly minor, vague, convenient exceptions (a'la unnamed Delta Squad in TCW).

VanishingReality likes this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Nah, Leia's characterization is the worst among the big three, she had very little character development compare to Luke and Han throughout the trilogy.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That's your opinion and I don't agree with it. It was refreshing to see a sarcastic badass female who instead of cowering to her rescuers, took the blaster of one of them and then told him "Into the garbage chute, Flyboy."

Much, much better than the whiny wuss that was Willie Scott in Temple of Doom, for example.

5. WatTamborWoo

WatTamborWoo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 22, 2011
    Barriss is way too interesting to get rid of. She could team up with Anakin.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's easy to create such character, but she has no development, she changed very little after he home planet was destroyed and the rest of the trilogy, she also never has to make hard choice like the other 2. Han had to choose from his own greed and friendship, the greater good. Luke had to choose from "destroy the evil Vader" and the love to his father. She was totally kept out from the conflict of Luke and Vader, which she should be involved. Even Padme had to choose between her love and the greater good.

7. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Meh, I didn't care about any of that, I just wanted a character I liked and could enjoy watching.

To each his own.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    [​IMG]

eht13 and WatTamborWoo like this.
  9. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I would prefer that there isn't just one prominent female character, but if there is going to be one, here are the potential candidates to fill such a position:

-Mara Jade. What else is there to say? She's a popular character to many EU fans and she's the future wife of Luke Skywalker. She's pretty badass in her own right and her appearance in the show opens up the possibility of seeing how she was trained. Besides, we might even see some episodes with Vader and Mara. Vader could sort of act like a mentor to Mara when Palpatine is not around.

-Ahsoka Tano. Like Mara Jade, she's a popular character with more proponents than detractors. She could easily assume the mantel of the "Main Female Character", so to speak. My hope is that if she appears, she doesn't become the Always [Removed. ~Sx3] Up Character that she was becoming later in The Clone Wars series. No more getting shafted to the sidelines when she shouldn't have like in Deception arc in Season 4 and no more being too emotionally vulnerable like she was in the Onderon arc. She must be a balanced character with weakness and strengths and none too exaggerated.

-Leia Organa. If the series starts only a couple years before Episode IV, she should have some prominence in the series, one that grows over time. If the series starts shortly after Order 66, she shouldn't become prominent until much later in the series. Or, perhaps, shouldn't even appear for a while. I hope the writers take the opportunity to explore Bail's wife and explain that when Leia was referring her "mother" in ROTJ, she was referring to. Which leads me to the next candidate...

-Breha Antilles Organa. Think about it. Not much about her is known. The writers could essentially fill in the blanks when it comes to her character. She could be just as much of a badass as Leia is in A New Hope.

-Mon Mothma. It would be the perfect time to make her important and explore her character more. However, could she hold the position of the prominent female character. I'm not so sure, but it would have to take some good writing on the Rebels dream team's part.

-Asajj Ventress. Like Ahsoka, she's a popular character and has been given much character development in the series. She's pretty much a wild card, serving no one but herself, though she is capable of compassion. She's quite a complicated character and pretty badass too. Plus, she's got great chemistry with almost anyone she comes into contact with.

-Bo-Katan. I don't see it. She wasn't even prominent during TCW and the Disney seems to want to stretch out to the fans of that series. While Bo is well-liked, I'm not sure if she can character an entire episode arc.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No Ahsoka unless for a minor role to get killed, TCW tried so hard to give her a "good end". Mara also shouldn't be more important than Ysanne Isard.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm with you on the last five characters on your list and the "more than one prominent female character".

I'd like to ask you about Ahsoka in the Deception arc when that arc was never supposed to be about her but don't explain here, I'll find the appropriate thread and tag you.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    According to current EU lore and the age of the characters, Mon Mothma and Ysanne Isard should be the most important female figure of each side, I don't mind to let Bo-Katan lead Mandalore.

13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Wow. I did not realize how many typos I made in the last post I made in this thread. I really need to be more prudent about these things. :oops:

Anywho, I think another option to create an original female character, one that hasn't appeared in the EU, TCW, the movies, games, etc. One totally made up from scratch by the collaborative efforts of Filoni, Weisman, and Kinberg. In TCW, the show's best strengths were the original characters. Bo-Katan, Cad Bane, Captain Rex, Fives, Ahsoka Tano, Embo, Mother Talzin... They all became well-received in the end, some more than others. She shouldn't be as weak and vulnerable as Ahsoka was becoming later in TCW or as annoyingly stupid as Jacen Solo later on in the EU. Not the pretentiousness of Anakin in the PT or the that "agelessness" and impeccable beauty that accompanied Mara Jade. She should be a balanced character. Flaws, moral weaknesses, strengths, etc.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Also TCW has to use EU characters. There is difference between TCW and Rebel time, most of the important characters during the era of Clone Wars made appearance in either the prequel and the CW cartoon before. So TCW could just use them and create a few more original characters. Ahsoka had big figures like Anakin and Obi Wan on her side before she truly became a highly popular character.

But in Rebel, most of the prequel characters, especially the Jedi are dead, Obi Wan and Yoda could not play too big of a role because they were mostly hiding. The big three of OT were all too young, they would not have much to do before 5BBY(when they turn 14-17). Many important characters of the Rebels and the Empire didn't make appearance in the movie because they were created later, so they will need to bring up the important EU ones.

15. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
    1) I'm beginning to get the feeling that it will take place within 5 years of ANH, so they probably will use OT characters.

2) They don't have to use EU characters. Probably only 1% of the total viewing audience will even know who those characters are. They will use new, original characters to fill the roles which previously-known film and television characters do not.

I'm not saying I'm happy about, it but that's just how the producers will be discussing it. To drive the point home: Do you honestly think Kathleen Kennedy knows who, say, Ysanne Isard is? I guarantee you she doesn't. It's not her job.

Now, I'm not saying Filoni couldn't dredge someone up, use their name, and reinvent them... but I think you may be taking for granted how much the general audience knows about the Star Wars EU. It's a "careful what you wish for" situation.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Even within 5BBY, Leia is the only one among the big three who could play a important role in the rebel troops.

They don't have to, but there are very very little chance to create better characters than Thrawn or Ysanne Isard and unlike TCW, there are a lot of blanks to fill. To create that many original characters when they got many to use, is not something wise to do.

17. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I completely agree. I didn't catch a lot of EU references in TCW that weren't just adding to the setting or background and maybe minor cameos.

The biggest reference for me was probably the Nightsisters. Although compared to the EU, they were vague and changed up a lot about the Nightsisters, not explaining the exact nature of the witches magic. It'd be interesting to see how the witches and the empire interact.

PraenomenCognomen likes this.
  18. Jedi_Kenobi32

Jedi_Kenobi32 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2005
    I wouldn't mind seeing Leia as the prominent female character if the show's timeline is closer to ANH and she is at least 13 years old. Now if the show's timeline is closer to ROTS then I honestly have no clue on who the prominent female character should be. So yeah as far as I'm concerned:
    Show's timeline closer to: (read: 5-6 years before) ANH: Leia.
    Show's timeline closer to ROTS: I really don't know. At least not yet.
    [​IMG]

19. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Padme was having a difficult choice in RotS between the good and her love, this actually helped develop her character a bit.

I think Padme's problem in RotS is that, there were quite a few scenes about her sensed Palpatine's ambition, made allies with other senators and even asked Palpatine about that. Those scenes showed her being a strong female and senator rather than just Anakin's love, but those scenes all got deleted, too bad.

themetresgained and Hansa like this.
  20. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Exactly. I still don't know who that guy is, and I've been on here about 6 years. Less likely someone who doesn't follow the EU as much as even I (which I have poor knowledge of the EU.).

"Er, there's this character in the EU called 'Mara Jade' sir. Some fans are clamoring for her to be in Rebels."
    "Really, what does she do?"
    "I think she's some sort of Jedi."
    "Oh... well we already got too many Jedi... we could make her a Rebel fighter pilot instead!"
    "OK sir. I'll start writing up her character sheet."

21. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Mara Jade please? I will bet money she is not even going to exist in the ST.

22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope she doesn't but are you saying you want her to show up in Rebels and be killed off?

23. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    A derelict is found in the void space in between the spiral arms, where ships can and do drift for millenia without being found.

Inside is discovered Jedi Master Satele Shan frozen in carbonite. Apparently she has been frozen there for over 3,500 years, but the freeze was top of the line and maintained perfectly down the centuries, and she is still in prime condition.

After taking some time to take stock of her situation, that she is now 3,500 years into the future and that the galaxy has fallen under the sway of a Galactic Empire ruled by a Sith Emperor, she starts whipping up rebellion.

Never ever happen but it would be awesome.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  24. Praenomen Cognomen

Mar 24, 2013
  25. Hansa

Hansa Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I'd like them to come up with a new character for the female lead. No need to use every single character that could be there -- better to come up with a new character with no known story and build her throughout the series. Just like they did with Ahsoka. That worked out well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.