main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Promise (Han/Leia Songfic)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Puggy, Mar 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    The Promise
    by Puggy
    Han/Leia pre-ESB Songfic

Author's Note:
    The song is called "The Promise" and it's by When in Rome. It's a 1980s one-hit-wonder song, but I absolutely love it. I did truncate the song at the end though, because it wasn't necessary to keep going and going with choruses and stuff. Hope you like.

- - -

It's been a whole standard year.

One year since I met old man Kenobi and the kid. One year since I almost got killed in the detention level of the Death Star. One year since I somehow become a hero.

It's been a whole stand year since I've met her.

For her, it's been one year since she met the kid and me. One year since she almost got killed in the dentention level of the Death Star. One year since Alderaan was destroyed.

One year, exactly. To the very damn day.

As I glance up from my place underneath part of the Falcon, I see her enter to hangar. She's got that look on her face. I can't help to feel anything but sorry for her. I mean, she lost everything in one instant, and she had to watch it all happen, too.

She passes by the ship and stops. I'm safely hidden from her view, and I can watch her as she looks around. I wish she'd look harder, or call my name. I'd be happy to hear her out, if she wants. But then again, I'm probably the last person she'd ever want to talk to about Alderaan.

If you need a friend,
    Don't look to a stranger.

I'm wondering how many people have stopped her today and said, "I'm so sorry about your loss." I really hate that word, sorry. What does it really mean, anyway? It makes the people saying it feel better, as if they've contributed to some pitiful cause.

The Princess isn't some cause, if they haven't noticed. She's human. She needs someone to listen to her, not someone to talk to her and blabber on about their condolences.

I only wished she knew that I'm here for her. I don't exactly know what it's like to go through what she has, but I can relate a bit. I've been alone before, too.

You know in the end,
    I'll always be there.

I'm wondering what her reaction would be if I moved from my place and made myself visible. I don't want to scare her, which is exactly what I'm afraid I might do. But I don't want her to walk away, either, which is exactly what I'm afraid she's about to do.

I stretch out my arms, knowing they're in her field of vision. She blinks once, twice, opens her mouth, shuts it, then turns and begins to leave. I don't want her to leave, but there's only one way to keep her around.

"Leia!" I call, my voice strangely kind. It surprises me, but obviously shocks her.

I see her pause, then slowly, she turns to face me. I offer her a smile and I motion for her to come over to me. She commences walking and makes her way towards the Falcon, looking quite distraught and confused.

And when you're in doubt,
    And when you're in danger,

Finally, after what seems like eons, she reaches me. Neither of us really have anything to say. I refuse to say "I'm sorry," because I know how little it means. It's probably become more of a cliché than a comfort to her, anyway.

Almost impulsively, I step closer to her and bring her to me. I embrace her gently, trying not to frighten her or make her feel trapped. Amazingly enough, I feel her tiny, shaking arms wrap themselves around my torso. She's hugging me back.

Suddenly, my shirt's become drenched in her warm tears. I hate to say it, but it's like the Ice Princess is finally melting. Melting in my arms.

Take a look all around,
    And I'll be there.

We stay in this position for a little while. I don't want to disturb her, because I know how badly she needs this. She's finally got the opportunity to just let it all go.

I don't see how she could bottle it up for so long. She's yet to go insane, for one. She's somehow stayed strong, balanced, and in control of things. I just don't understand her.

She abruptly pulls away, wiping at her fac

2. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I'm so glad you are a Han/Leia fanatic, Puggy. You write them so well. This was simply beautiful. You fit the title into the songfic so well. :)

3. crystalrain

crystalrain Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    *claps*

Ooooh, that was GOOD!!! :D

I can really imagine that happening.

Nice job! :D

4. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    Your Worship can certainly pack a punch.

This whole thing, especially the above lin was SO TOTALLY HAN!! I could just see him, standing there, saying it all. Really, really sweet. Cocky Han. :) Love the Ice Princess reference!

UP!

5. Sunshine

Sunshine Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 15, 2003
    Puggy, that was spectacular. Han's stream of thought was so very...well... Han-like. Yup. Cocky and just like our favorite Corellian.

Keep up the great work!

6. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    I'm sitting here with a big stupid goofy grin on my face because this fic made me all bubbly and happy. Good job. Great job. Superb job. Fantastic job. I loved that. I really did. It was such a great little moment out of their lives.

7. Zara_Rose

Zara_Rose Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Awwwww, that was incredibly sweet! Melikes! I always loved how gentle and tender-hearted our favorite Corellian smuggler really is.

8. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    WOW! :D
    I had to rummage around and find my old audio cassette tape of that song and play it while I read. I am glad I did!
    Very Cool, Puggy! :)

J_Girl

9. Tara

Tara Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    Awww, that was heart-wrenching. But good. :)

10. Solo_Fan

Solo_Fan Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Up! A read well-worth your time. Check it out!

11. Miska

Miska Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I don't know why I didn't reply to this the first time I read it, but I just wanted to say that I liked the idea of Leia not being happy on Alderaan if she had been rescued...of how she wanted to fight for the Rebellion and all that- it was really in character and I think you did a great job with this!

12. DarthMasan

DarthMasan Jedi Master star 3

Sep 20, 2002
    OOOOO!!! lookie!!! a wonderfully written H/L!!! I stumbled it across your Bio... Im going to have to explore the Bios more!

Great job, love the way you write the mush!!!

DM

(goes off to read more the fics in Bios.... :) )

13. Puggy

Puggy Jedi Master star 3

Oct 1, 2002
    Whoa, I can't believe I never thanked you all... And I also can't believe this thing somehow made it back to page 1, LOL. All right, here goes:

Solo_Fan: Hehe, I love writing Han and Leia. I adore them so much. I remember when I wrote this that I really, really wanted to fit the title in somehow, and it took me the longest time to figure out how to do it, LOL. Thanks for you kid words!

crystalrain: Thank you very much!

Bellyup: Oh, yay, you thought Han was in character! I always worry about that.

Sunshine: *Giggles* Can you believe you posted this before we were friends? It's really weird, knowing that you replied to this and now you're like one of my closest friends, heh... Anyway, thanks.

RogueSticks: Aww! I made you smile? That makes ME smile! I'm in such a happy mood right now!

Zara_Rose: Yep, I've always seen Han as a big softie at heart. :)

J_Girl: Heh, I feel like such a nerd. Not only do I write a song fic, but I use some song no one's ever heard of. Glad you know the song; I absolutely adore it!

Tara: Thankyas!

Miska: Thanks very much--I appreciate your comments!

DM: Thanks! I LOVE writing mush... I'm just always afraid when I've got too much, hehe.

14. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Kicking this up for no better reason than I liked it and I'm bored.

15. A-Windsor

A-Windsor Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2003
    *silly grin*

It's so cute, Puggy!!!!!

A. Windsor

16. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001
    OMG, puggy that was amazing! And the song fit beautifully! You perfectly captured Han in this story, you could hear his voice saying the words. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.