main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Prophecy and what it says

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bugs Lightschmalzer, Jul 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugs Lightschmalzer

Bugs Lightschmalzer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 1999
    Well, they told me it was a good topic but I had to go to this forum with this stuff. So here I am. Right. This was my post:

I have been wondering about this since reading Oedipus Rex, the play by the classic Greek playwright Sophocles, in which a prophecy turns the fates of the protagonists upside down, and causes havoc because the words are misinterpreted by all. In the play, Laius the King of Thebes, and Queen Jocasta (name sound familiar?) have a child. The Delphic oracle foretells the child will grow up to kill his father and marry his mother. To prevent this from happening, Queen Jocasta orders a shepherd to take the child away from the city and kill it. However, this shepherd did not have the heart to do so; instead he gave it to a fellow shepherd from the kingdom of Corinth, and this shepherd gave Oedipus to his master, the king of Corinth.

So Oedipus grows up as a happy kid, believing he is the prince of the king of Corinth. But what happens? And this is really brilliant: Oedipus hears the same prophecy that made his parents decide to send him away, and thinks it refers to his foster-parents, who he thinks are his real parents. So he runs, and he arrives in Thebes, where he kills his father King Laius, when his guards believe him to be a robber. He then goes on the solve the riddles of the Sphinx, thereby relieving the city of Thebes of its most dreaded curse, and unknowingly marries his mother Jocasta.

Likewise, I believe the interpretation of the prophecy may have caused differing opinions within the Jedi Order. It may be the propecy is rather vague about what the Chosen One will be and what he will do exactly. I mean "bringing balance to the Force" could be interpreted in a lot of ways. In fact, the prophecy may have foreshadowed that the Chosen One who will bring balance to the Force will wipe out the Jedi and become the herald of the the dark times of the Empire; some within the Jedi Order could have interpreted the prohecy as bad news.

These could have included the "Jedi librarian," Jocasta Nu, because as the academic among them she must know a lot about the prohecy. Now it is disclosed in Phantom Menace that Anakin wasn't born on Tatooine. So could it be that he has been born on Coruscant, and brought before the Council even when he was a baby, but rejected by the Council because of the bad omens surrounding his birth? Perhaps he and his mother were sent away by some Jedi to the Outer Rim, which is basically the furthest away from the bright centre of the universe as possible, so that he could never be discovered in time to be trained.

Alas, he was discovered as we know, by Qui-Gon Jinn, and in fact he was too old to be trained, but trained he was, and we all know what happened after that.

So could there be any similarities? (Of course in the SW universe the shepherds would become nerfherds...)

(and you can find the original thread here.)

2. spyderbyte

spyderbyte Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2003
    sounds intrigueing, but when did TPM say that Anakin wasn't born on Tatooine ?[face_plain]

3. Bugs Lightschmalzer

Bugs Lightschmalzer Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 28, 1999
    On Tatooine, in the "Are you an angel?" scene, Padmé asks Anakin something like, have you been here all your life, and he replies:
    "Since I was very little, three, I think. My Mom and I were sold to Gardulla the Hutt, but she lost us, betting on the Podraces."

4. Dagobah_Denizen

Dagobah_Denizen Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2002
    I'd never thought of that line before... this sounds good.

Is this why Yoda and Mace look for excuses not to train Anakin? Because they had said "no" once before, and only they two know the true nature of the prophecy?

Only the council has the authority to decide who will be trained, right? No one else could have banished Anakin?

Cool theory...

5. JFettG

JFettG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Yeah I always thought Anakin was born on Tatooine to but after I heard that line it made me think.

6. Yazid_Skywalker

Yazid_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    Interesting, but i insist that Anakin is born on tatooine. The Hutts own tatooine so I guessed that Gardula must have lived in Tatooine.

7. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    That is an excellent theory. I shall have to ponder this. :)

8. Seigiryu

Seigiryu Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 27, 2002
    Interesting theory, I think it would be cool to get some, if not that exact, twist on the prophecy angle that will show the whole series in a whole new light in Episode III!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.