The Prophecy

Discussion in 'Daytona Beach, FL' started by Q99213, Aug 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    This is something that has been bugging me for a while, so in the interest of creating board discussion I thought I'd throw it out there.

Anakin was supposed to fill a prophecy that would bring balance to the Force, but did he really? Balance implies equality; #good=#bad, #weight=#weight, #light=#dark, etc. Well, when Darth Vader kills Emperor Palpatine he is no longer a Dark Lord but become Anakin Skywalker again, so that means we have Anakin and Luke (and if you want to get really technical, Leia). But where are the Dark Side people? Well, Anakin dies which would leave Luke, 1 Light, but where's the one Dark? Bear in mind that I'm not going into the EU at all where apparently hundreds of Force users escaped the Great Purge *sigh*, but rather I'm sticking to the movies because I doubt Lucas had the EU in mind when he wrote the general stories for The Star Wars. Anyway, could this mean that Episodes 7,8, and 9 are more important than Lucas leads us to believe?

Well???
  2. Lady_Eldaelen Jedi Knight

Not that I can claim a whole plethora of Star Wars knowlege, but the way I always saw it was like this:

Yes, there is a balance that must be maintained. I never, however, saw it as an instantaneous balance as much as a balance over time. Kinda like a sine wave or max population curve or something averaging around a central point -balance- but always fluxuating above and below it (yay math. yay physics. yay physics and math together).

Elaborating, let's say in the beginning all was good and light and happy, rainbows and sprinkles. It didn't stay that way forever, though. Somewhere along the way the Sith pop up. There's war for a bit, then things calm back down, [insert random historical facts here] whatever. There was good for a while, there was bad for a while.

Then come the prequels, and good's been around for a bit. It's time for some evil. Enter the emperor, the Clone Wars, Darth Vader, etc. The original trilogy comes into play, more war, etc. There's bad for a while, then good pops up again.

Even if we're not counting the books, the balance was acheived anyways. The Republic, the Jedi in their prime: good. The Emperor, the wars, the Purge: bad. The suppression of the galaxy, under the Emperor and Vader: bad. The redemption of Anakin, the beginnings of the New Republic: good.

With all the books that are out, we know for certain that despite the happy ending of movie 6, eventually evil returns in the forms of the Yuhzang Vong and Thrawn, etc. It always does because the balance must be maintained. It's just not always maintained consistently over time... but taking in the big picture, it's there.

Hopefully that made a little bit of sense. o_O
  3. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    Firstly, Thrawn was not evil, just a little misunderstood :D

I never quite thought of it from that point of view. I wonder how old the Prophecy really is? Has it always been around or just since the last great fall of the Sith, or just before the events of TPM?? Throughout the prequels Anakin is referred to as the one that will bring about the prophecy to bring the Force back into balance, but if that means that the Light will dwindle and the Dark will rise, then why would they train him? Why not kill him outright as a potential Sith Lord?

I have an urge to play KOTOR now, so if you'll excuse me...

:)

4. Lady_Eldaelen Jedi Knight

They couldn't just kill him. He's the balance.

The light side was growing too big. It was time for a change and the dark side was needed. Anakin brought that.

And think about this: if Anakin had not been trained, he would have had no morals with which to follow or return to, no reason to ever leave the dark side. How could have Luke tried to save him if there wouldn't have been any light and good in him left to see? He might have been born Chosen, but the Jedi and their ways was his first conscience. With Vader's evil, he balance the light side, and in his death he brought the everything back around full circle.
  5. Commander_Farsight Jedi Knight

(plants face into hads) ARG!!
    Anakin did bring balance to the force, they are Luke and Leia, Lets do the math here...

1 über bad guy (Vader a.k.a. Anakin)
    +1 very eye pleasing chick (Queen)
    ----------------------------------
    = Luke and Leia

Sence they are twins, that makes each of them 1/2 of the whole balance.. thing!:-\ Er..um .. what is word.. oh yea!!1one Equation. He "brought" (key word here) balance to the force, but it was not "him", it was his kids.
  6. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    Your first post in how long and you already confuse yourself??? ha!

But Lucas has come out and said that the Prophecy was fullfilled when Anakin tossed Palpatine down the crapper, so whatever he and his robotic limbs were doing before that doesn't count.

And if Anakin were never trained then would he have turned Dark? Would Palpatine have found him and turned him? In this case I believe Dooku would have become the next Vader and the Darkside may have triumphed, so here I am confusing myself! Let's see, if Anakin weren't trained, Dooku would have become the next Vader, but could he have taken out the Jedi Order? If so, then Luke would never have been born and the Dark Side would have triumphed, tipping the balance in that direction. So by training him the Jedi were helping to fullfil the Prophecy. And while I am still completely confused, it's time for church and I'm getting evil looks from the neighbors.

To be continued in about two hours...
  7. Captain_NoBeard Jedi Knight

star 1
    After seeing Episode I and learning of this "Balance" prophecy, I went home and brooded on the subject briefly. Not being someone who is well educated in the EU, I decided to look at it purely from a movie-goer's point of view (just for the sake of seeing if it made any sense in that perspective).

I concluded that, (from this hypothetical perspective), since Luke SEEMED to be the only surviving Force user at the end of all the movies, the "Balance" had to be manifesting itself in him. I mean, Leia had it too, but she hadn't had a chance to develop it yet.

Now, our friend Luke has only been using the Force for a relatively short period of time, but in that time he has experienced both sides of the Force (the Light and the Dark). Like his father before him, he is initially driven by a desire to do good, but he sees how difficult it is and has more than a passing curiosity about the Dark Side (" . . . IS the Dark Side stronger?") He has sort of experimented with it in a "Light Side" frame of mind (Force-choking the Gamorrean guard in Jabba's palace) and even given into it completely for the briefest of instants (whooping up on Vader relentlessly at the very end . . . but he does relent after all)

Unlike his father before him, Luke has seen (from an outsider's perspective) evidence of what happens to a person (two actually) who gives in completely to the Dark Side. Having found this view not to his liking, he is unlikely to forever let it "dominate his destiny" . . . but he also does not appear to have sufficient self-discipline to walk the path of the Light Side exclusively (though I'm sure he'll do the best he can). These are the impressions I am left with at the end of ROTJ after knowing about the prophecy.

Anakin brought Luke into being, became Vader (to serve as an example to Luke of what NOT to do), returned to the Light Side (with the help of his son), destroyed the Emperor (a huge source of Imbalance), and died shortly afterward. In the time between the Emperor's death and his own, Anakin and his son exist as two Force users who have walked both sides . . . one has spent most (but not all) of his Force experience in the Dark, and the other has spent most of his Force experience in the Light (and will spend the rest of his time trying to tell the difference).

So at that moment, the Force is in Balance . . . from a certain point of view.

There are of course many threads discussing this further, but that is the theory I came up with :D

How do you like my excessive use of parentheses? (Did you notice? I thought I noticed you noticing)
  8. Captain_NoBeard Jedi Knight

star 1
    Oh, oh, what Lady_E said earlier about sine waves and things kind of addresses another point! Have we heard anything about whether the Prophecy says "the Chosen One will bring Balance to the Force . . . for good?" 'Cause if it's just bringing it into Balance, that could be for a week or a day or even just a moment. Kind of anti-climactic if it's just in balance for a second, but it might be so, mightn't it? The present doesn't last for very long. Look, there it went! Look there it goes again! Okay, I'm done for tonight :p
  9. Q99213 Jedi Master

star 4
    Very good point Cap'm. (and welcome back by the way!)

I was just thinking that maybe the last three movies were of greater importance.

Lucas, you want to get in here and clear all this up??? :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.