main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The PT - as bad as films get?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Pendulous_Dewlap, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pendulous_Dewlap

Pendulous_Dewlap Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2011
    We all know that the prequel trilogy, while financially successful, was artistically bankrupt. Stiff acting, wooden dialogue, an over-abundance of CGI, and, most distressingly, no heart. Is the PT, with its numbing visual effects and abject mediocrity, solely responsible for driving humanity from contemporary commercial cinema? Does the PT represent the nadir of blockbuster moviemaking? Do films get much worse?

Mod Edit: redundant topic

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    The PT are good films which are condemned because of the aura of their predecessors.

It's the guy who plays rugby and doesn't live up to his national-representative fathers ability.

Also, many of the things you mentioned are generalizations. Only some of the acting was bad and there were many effects created traditionally. The dialogue was also much the same quality as the OT.

They could have been better however they were by no means terrible. If you think the PT are terrible films which represent the epitome of terrible film you obviously haven't seen many films.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

4. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    :oops: Ugh, we get it. The other dozen threads on the same topic covered it as well.

5. Caleb89sw

Caleb89sw Jedi Master star 1

Oct 30, 2010
    In before the lock! ;)

6. ILuvJarJar

ILuvJarJar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 19, 2008
    The prequels rule.

Inb4thelock.

7. Bad_Feeling

Bad_Feeling Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2002
    The prequels are excellent films. They're just cinematically complex.

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    While ESB is my favourite, I wouldn't call the prequels artistically bankrupt. They tell a more complex story than the OT. It would have been harder to pull off, but I think the movies, particularly Revenge of the Sith, achieve it. It's rich in symbolism, the acting is believable, the dialogue is an improvement on AOTC, and not so far from the dialogue of the OT. Over-abundance of effects doesn't necessarilly mean no heart, they are portraying a different time, and a far less black and white archetypes. Yes, they are a little over the top, but that doesn't detract from the storytelling generally. It is too easy to criticise that effects are a replacement for deeper themes, and believable characters. The two can co-exist.
    On first glance I could see you dismissing ROTS as a little heartless, but there is so much between the lines, it connects the other movies more than I think it gets credit for. The other episodes enhance it, while being enchanced by it, in IMO a quite unique way. I don't see how you can find these movies worse than the average hollywood blockbuster personally. There is so much more to them than an average movie, and if you can suspend disbelief they work together quite fluently. Just my two cents...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.