main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Punisher DVD Release.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jedi_Learner, Jan 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    The Punisher starring John Travolta and Thomas Jane is coming out on dvd and video on Monday. I thought it was a great film and didn't deserve some of the criticism it was given. Anyone else picking up this great film on Monday?

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    It was advertised at the Showcase Cinemas in Walsall, but it was never released here. I never saw it. I take it, it was good, though?

3. MANDALORIAN

MANDALORIAN Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 1999

Its not going to win any awards but it was a well done actioner. I am getting it. America had the DVD 6 months ago so I should have got it when I was over there...

The Bourne Supremacy is out on monday too... :D

4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I didn't buy the first Bourne film... so I think I might get the second and hope to pick up the first on the cheap.

5. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    I got the Bourne Identity Special Edition today in Woolworths, for a meer £4.99, cheap at half the price.

6. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    I have the Region 1 DVD of The Bourne Supremacy...It's got a good collection of extras. The Region 2 version should be the same. Worth buying.

7. Obi_one_and_only

Obi_one_and_only Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 18, 2001
    I think I'll get he game.

8. nathan_sith

nathan_sith Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2004
    Punisher sucked!!

its such a shame that a great character is gonna go down in history with two ***** films, the dolph lungren one being the better!!

now jane, he was....ok, travolta-he was obviously told he was filming swordfish two!

but what a pile of gash, it just ended up a crap cop-revenge movie that happened to be called the punisher, i mean-showing up outside city hall??!!!!

no respect for the source material at all!! Big Frank deserves better!

9. Jedi_Learner

Jedi_Learner Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 10, 2002
    "Punisher sucked!!"

I strongly disagree, more so after just watching the film with my brother and father. One of the greatest films of 2004 in my opinion, but then again I like Equilibrium, Species and parts of Catwoman, so what would I know? ;)

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    travolta-he was obviously told he was filming swordfish two!

[face_laugh]

11. nathan_sith

Oct 23, 2004
    yes you still have much to learn jedi learner! catwoman sucked even more than punisher cuz it just did away with all the source material and made up a crap origin! species-crap. equilibrium on the other hand was very good, cool story, cooler guns (oh the difference a flash muzzle makes) and an even cooler mr Bale!

12. Savoy

Savoy Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2005
    The Punisher was really good and even Catwoman was quite watchable, the only trouble with some comic book fans is even if the change the slightest detail from the comics they say the movie was terrible.

I mean think about it a film about a woman that gets cat powers, even though as cool as the idea is, not exactly Ben Hur is it, what do people expect before the go to see these films.

13. F16WarBird

F16WarBird Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I though the Punisher was meh. It could've been a whole lot better if they took away the campiness of it. Just my 2 shillings.

14. nathan_sith

Oct 23, 2004
    OK Savoy....if that is your real name?......

Think of it like this......Peter Jackson makes Lord of the Rings...only he's not keen on Dwarves so subs them for giants......or, say lucas died and someone else had been responsible for episode 2(poo)....

It just comes down to people having no respect for what they didn't create, as for changing the smallest details....

Catwoman isn't black, never was, her name is selina kyle, she didn't get any power from make up (or the hard skinned avon lady), she doesn't cavort with detectives, no mention of Batman...blah blah blah

as for the Punisher...well, its just his wife and kids that are killed, people really think he's dead, he doesn't hang out with losers and needy chicks in an apartment building, he has a Van, he has a partner, he DOESN'T SHOW UP OUTSIDE CITY HALL to confirm to the mayor, the media and police chief he is alive and that he is the punisher, the russian is the bane of his life for quite a while, not a ten minute comedy relief fight...blah blah blah.

so, you end up with two crap films loosley based on established characters using said license to sell said piece of crap.

What people expect my good chap, is what it says on the tin. there's no problem in changing small details where it's to no detriment-ala raimi's spiderman having organic web shooters (great idea, i always wandered why he didn't in the first place) but to abuse a license so badly...........it's just plain unfair.

Its always gonna be hard to please us 'comic book fans' and really hard to commit something to film, but if its gonna be half arsed hollywood crap- why bother........to make money!!!

15. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    "he doesn't hang out with losers and needy chicks in an apartment building"

-actually,in the past few years in the comic,I think he does (there's lots of black comedy in it in recent years) but I still agree that it's pointless making a film of a comic if you ignore lots of what happens in the comic.

"there's no problem in changing small details where it's to no detriment-ala raimi's spiderman having organic web shooters"

-I seem to be in a minority of one about this,but I think Peter Parker inventing his own web-shooters is an important part of his character as it's a constant reminder that he's something of a science-whizz (which even in the films is a key part of how he happens to know certain enemies like Green Goblin and Doc Ock in his civilian identity).

16. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    I got The Punisher, for a hot £9.99 on DVD, and too have to say it's such a good Marvel adaptation!

Good ol' Tom Jane doing us good!!

17. nathan_sith

Oct 23, 2004
    i get the spiderman thing, but its hard to justify it in the movie-a kid constructs high velocity projectiles containing web like fluid capable of holding....well....a lot. and didn't sell it?
    they worked around that in the comic if i remember, he tried to sell the web formula to 3M but they didn't want it because it disolved after a couple of hours....i mean...really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.