main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Purpose of Mace's 'Assassination' Quote

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Howell_III, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Howell_III

Darth_Howell_III Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2002

Mace tells us that Dooku "couldn't assassinate anyone, it's not in his character." Later, Dooku's character, and his regard for life, were proven unworthy of Mace's unconditional praise.

What is the dramatic purpose of Lucas including this quote? Bearing in mind that the film was "way too long," and plenty of dialogue was excised for this reason - why was this dialogue, later undermined, deemed important enough to keep?

2. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    God knows.

3. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    To show that the Jedi aren't as smart as they think they are, and really don't know what's going on.

"I think it's time we inform the Senate that our ability to use The Force has diminished"

4. seventyard

seventyard Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 20, 2003
    i have a theory that the prequel trilogy would have been a lot better had lucas written all three scripts at once before he started shooting episode i.

one of the things that would have made sense, had he done this, would have been to include dooku in the jedi counsel in Episode I, and maybe have him get into a brief argument with yoda or mace about the role of the republic or the jedi in dealing with the blockade of naboo. this might set up mace's line better, and certainly would have better set up the line, "he's a political idealist, not a murderer."

5. JustinPeeler

JustinPeeler Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2003
    Howell,

Since you never ask a question without aleady claiming to have the answer, why don't you just tell us you think that the ghost of Sifo Dyas inhabited Dooku?

6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Justin it's a bad idea to repost a baiting post that a mod already deleted once.

7. JustinPeeler

Jul 3, 2003
    My bad. I thought you guys just deleted it because of my socks name.

I don't think I was baiting, though. Look at Howell's post history.

Strilo edit: I do think it was baiting, especially considering this little war between you two.

8. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002

Pizza ? glad to meet you.

March ? it doesn?t sound like a ?using-the-Force? issue to me; it sounds like A) a specific, first-hand assessment of Dooku?s personality, B) a general statement about the mindset of all Jedi, or C) both.

70 Yard ? I believe George did have a fairly firm idea of the plot of each film, long before production began on TPM. He could not have truly plunged into E1, without ensuring ahead of time that he would not have too little, or too much, story to fill two other films. But you're right - if he didn't know who all the characters were, he should have.

Strilo ? I hope the new forum maintains your high Moderation standards.

Guess that?s everybody? thanks for the responses!

If Mace were faced with the possibility of assassinating a Sith, would/could/should do so, a ?Jedi?s character? be damned?

9. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Regardless of the purposefulness of the line, it wouldn't make sense to cut a piece of dialogue right in the middle of a scene. Lucas hasn't done that with any scene.

Logic is nice
    /LM

10. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002

Sure he does. Look at the "You're soft, sand is not" scene.

George cuts printed dialogue, and creates a haphazard segue of facial expressions and body positions.

11. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I've seen it many times. What about it? There's no cut dialogue there, as far as I know.

What's going on?
    /LM

12. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002

Check the screenplay. All this talk about "looking into the glass" and "losing yourself" was crudely chopped, and we cut straight to the kiss.

Scene 66, as I recall, I'll verify later.

13. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    OK, I believe you. Doesn't matter, though. The scene is great as it is and Mace's line does serve a purpose.

AOTC - what a great movie
    /LM

14. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I think it was left in because Lucas was trying to leave Dooku as semi-ambigious until the end.

15. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It's also another example of the Jedi being too sure of themselves. "If an item does not appear in our records... it does not exist." Same attitude. A Jedi could not possibly go bad. He is a Jedi.

16. ImperialMarchFace

ImperialMarchFace Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 13, 2002
    Howell- I know it's not a direct "using The Force" kind of thing, but if Mace was as great a Jedi as he thinks and as we've heard he is, I assume he'd be able to tell if an ex-Jedi had gone to the dark side. I just figured that he'd sense it.

And I agree with what Strilo said above me, the Jedi's fall is partly their fault. They're too sure of themselves.

17. JustinPeeler

Jul 3, 2003
    Master_Starwalker posted on 4/6/05 3:19pm
    I think it was left in because Lucas was trying to leave Dooku as semi-ambigious until the end.
    [hr][/blockquote]

Ah yes! This is the real reason. Lucas purposely left Dooku's true allegiance to Darth Sidious ambigious until the very end when he is identified as Lord Tyrannus.

18. BareBodkin

BareBodkin Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2005
    I think it was to show he is, or was, a man of class.

19. LazyDivey98

LazyDivey98 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2005
    Howell.

Mace is a Jedi, he has great pride in the order. He refuses to believe a Jedi could fall to the dark side. Even the older more experienced Jedi can be arrogant and over look the truth. If anything, it gives Mace character (the dramatic reason to leave the line in.)

I am glad you have watched AOTC again like I asked you to in the 3SA. Watch it one more time but pay attention.

20. Darth_Howell_III

Sep 12, 2002

It seems, then, to be a coincidence that Padme is the one who shows him up... The object is not to make Padme look good, but to make Mace look presumptuous?

Perhaps Mace has come to realize that a little assassination now and then is doable, even desirable, for a Jedi...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.