main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Qlone Wars: Quest's Qut (Editing the Series into Chronological Order)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jashun88

Jashun88 Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2004
    Hey 2ndQuest, I was just wondering if you were going to post the full dependency file soon? That first trial was great, so I got all excited for the full one! :) Anyway, here's hoping!!! Thanks again. :)

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sorry, I haven't had the time to make one yet- but I'll have next week off for vacation, so if the Lego Star Destroyer I plann to assemble doesn't take up all my free time, I'll set aside a few hours to put the full version together.

3. Jashun88

Jashun88 Jedi Youngling

Apr 16, 2004
    Hey, awesome! Thanks for replying 2ndQuest. Sorry if I'm bugging you about it. I just get all excited to see the whole thing in all its glory! :)

4. Saju

Saju Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2002
    Alrighty, I finally finished putting together the thing in Adobe Premiere, now I just have to edit the audio timing to go into other seens a bit and such and I should be in good shape =D
    Thanks Quest!

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Bumpity bump bump bump.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I'll definitely be re-editing Volume 2 together as well, hehe.

And I will get around to that dependent file eventually.

8. FigmentJedi

FigmentJedi Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2004
    For hosting the edit when it's done, I suggest using www.yousendit.com, though it would only last for a few days.

9. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    The new DVD allows you to watch all the chapters together without any of the chapter breaks. The edits are great. The part at the end of the one chapter where Asaj Ventress says "I am sith" it cuts straight to Dooku laughing seamlessly. The broken timeline works for me as it shows different adventures going on at the same time.

I looked at your time codes and it seems like there would be too many cuts back and forth. How did you edit the part where the ARC troopers destroy the gun platform? Thats the point where the ARC commander contacts Kenobi right after he cut Durge in half. I was thinking instead of showing the commander calling Kenobi right after fighting Durge, to show just the fight with Durge and right as Kennobi slices him in half cut to the ARC troopers blowing up the gun platform, then back to Kennobi when the commander contacts him via the hologram. The reason I say that is because the last time you see the ARC troopers there are standing on top of the roof. Then they show this whole battle with Kennobi vs. Durge which means the ARC troopers would be just standing there on the roof waiting to contact Kennobi when actually it was more likely that the commander contacted Kennobi right after they destroyed the gun platform. Does that make sense?

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think your off on your timeline of events, it should goe:

-ARC Troopers destroy the cannon
    -Banking Clan reacts to the destruction of the cannon, thinking it was the Republic artilery.
    -With the cannon down, the Republic starts breaking through (as seen in the background at the end of the ARC trooper chapter with them on top of the tower, and also with the wolfman in chapter 20)
    -Because of the cannons destruction, they send Durge to take out the artillery.
    -Durge takes out the artillery.
    -Obi-wan takes out Durge
    -Obi-wan then meets up with the ARC troopers on the tower rooftop
    -Durge shows again etc etc.

So the Obi/Durge fight can't happen until after the ARC troopers succeed.

As for all the back and forth edits, the only plotlines that seemed out of place was the Ilum epsiodes with Barris, luminara, Padme and Yoda, but it it still works, The other edits have worked quite well, from what I've seen and gotten feedback from.

I've also been doing some prelim ideas for my edit of Volume 2- now, Volume 2 is a little more straight forward than Volume 1 was, but here's the gist of what I'm planning:

-Generating a new "Previously" recap of the events of Hypori from Chapter 20.
    -The Hypori rescue will become the prologue for this Volume, and after Greivous's line after they escape, it will cut to the Clone Wars title. This mirrors my edit of Volume 1's prologue ending on Sidious's line.
    -The rest of Chapter 21 and all of Chapter 22 will play out as is, starting with Yoda's vision of Qui-Gon and young Anakin.
    -All of the Nelvaan scenes from Chapters 23, 24 and 25 will be edited together into one continuous sequence (however, I may take the Dooku/Grievous sparring session and place it in the middle to break it up slightly). This will function along the lines of the "opening subplot" that each film usually starts off with (be it the droids on Tatooine or the Wampa/search for Luke or Jabba's Palace).
    -After the conclusion of the Nelvaan scenes, all of the Coruscant scenes will be edited togther as a continuous sequence.
    -Obi-wan and Anakin recieving Mace's transmission and the last shot of the Coruscant battle will remain the final scenes.

I'v already done a rough edit of the Chapter 20 recap and it's pretty brutal watching the General take down those Jedi rapid fire >::)

Here's my rough timecodes for the recap:

"Previously" (Chapter 22; 00:00-00:03)
    (Chapter 20 footage from here on out)
    -Grievious Halts the advance: (02:48-02:58)
    -"Unstoppable- He is Unstoppable!" (03:29-03:34)
    -That noise..." (04:36-04:40)
    -Sweaty palms (05:08-05:10)
    -Shaggy's last cry (05:19-05:22)
    -Shaggy stomp (05:23-05:24)
    -General Grievous...ri-i-i-ise (05:25-05:30)
    -Landing and torso spin manuever (05:55-06:02)
    -Wall mount (06:18-06:19)
    -Wall launch (06:21-06:23)
    -K'Kruhk's stand (06:29-06:33)
    -Tierr crushed and Aayla flung (06:39-06:46)
    -Saber twirling (06:49-06:57)
    -Shaak-fu (07:06-07:10)
    -The eye of the General and the saber hilts (07:12-07:25)
    -The eyes of Mundi and the launch to cliffhanger (07:29-07:38)

That would then fade to black and come up with the start of Chapter 21.

11. Boola Cronk

Boola Cronk Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 1999
    yep you're right on that about the ARC troopers. Your edit for Volume 2 sounds awesome so far. Be sure and post when you have it complete.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I will- already I'm seeing a couple places where I can tighten up the recap to keep the pace up better (shaving a second off of Shaak Ti's reaction to K'kruhk's injury and anothr second or two of Mundi at the end with the saber grab and eyes closeup, for example). Also will probably remove the "landing" part of the torso spin section as well.

13. Rebel11_38

Rebel11_38 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2005
    I need some help with an edit I'm doing. I ripped the .vob files off of the CW dvd and saved them as raw .avi files. I am editing them in Premiere Pro 1.5, but I don't know how to convert the movie back to anamorphic widescreen.

I was told that since the dvd had a 1.78:1 aspect ratio and because it was anamorphic as opposed to letterbox that was the reason why when I went to edit the files the black bars on top and bottom were missing.

I could use any help you could give me. I've searched google and videohelp.com and the doom9 forums, but there doesn't seem to be anything close enough to my problem to help me.

I am most familiar with adobe products, so if someone could tell me how to do it with premiere or encore that would be great.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I can only say what I did in Final Cut pro when handling the anamorphic video I ripped from AOTC for my reedit of that film- checked off the little box ;)

15. Rebel11_38

Rebel11_38 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2005
    Thanks anyway. I found someone who is going to show how to do what I need.

16. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    hey 2ndQuest,you think itd be possible to put the original edits first posted in this thread together with Windows Movie Maker. its a lousy program, but im just sitting around with tons of free time and i figure this would be one way to waste it. perhaps even doing some of the wipe transitions for some scenes with WMM is another thought i had with it...

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not familair with the capabilties of WMM, but I'd imagine as long as you can import the video, you could (though it's always possible the timecode could be changed slightly- as it did when I did a version in iMovie).

As a sidenote, the files for Chapters 21-25 have some kind of encoding in them that prevents them from being imported into FCP and they're too long to be imported as clips into iMovie, so you'll need to find alternate copies of the chapters to do any edits on them.

18. General_Rieekan

General_Rieekan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 5, 2004
    thanks for the heads up, im not really concerned too much with Chapters 21-25 at this point. ive got vacation time from work coming up, so im going to take a run at trying to put the edits together with WMM, with some attempts at using the wipe transitions the program has. ill let you know how it turns out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.