main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Quality of CGI for VII

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Blue_Jedi33, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    I was just looking at something CGI artists created, pictures of a regular generic women. I would never be able to say this is 100% CGI maybe photo shopped but not 100% all new from the ground up digitally so to speak. So this is where the quality is at now, and most likely it is harder to do with a moving pictures than a single frame but it is amazing what will be available to the special effects team by the time this is released.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is why I am not worried about how Carrie Fisher looks, I think she will have some very nice work done on her. I am ok with that. And Mark might have some work done on him too, not that he will need it if he sports a nice Obi-Wan style beard.

Episode Swag likes this.
  2. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Ever seen the Star Tours CGI from Disney? Something like that but better.

3. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    The more they incorporate traditional practical effects, the better the CG will look. It's the combination of both that makes for realism.

4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    YES! As much as I love George, I think his infatuation with the possibility of CGI detracted just a bit from the ST, especially with characters. Ships, locations, creatures are all great CGI. I would prefer real actors with as much practical effects as possible combined with CGI enhancements.

Furthermore, I just recently re-watched the Trek reboot and the film is visually stunning and flawless, save for the lens flares. I fully expect Abrams to follow that same template.

5. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The quality will be better than RotS, it is 10 years later afterall. Let's just hope it's used wisely.

Episode Swag likes this.
  6. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Some people might find this interesting - given the recent VFX drama that's been going on. But it gives some perspective as to how important CG is to movies that we assume are done without any help ---> http://beforevfx.tumblr.com/

Episode Swag likes this.
  7. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    It will probably be pretty good. I look forward to the 3-D effects. (an assumption).

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    To determine Photoshop or air brush now-a-days, you have to examine the photo at the pixel level.

Personally, I perfer a minimalist approach to CGI in Episode VII. Rely more on good acting.

9. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    VII will look good. I want to see practical effects, but I have no doubt that it will look good regardless

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I hope they decide to make this 100% animated. Make it a Pixar movie and I'll be happy. Then we can have the big 3 be any age we want.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  11. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think that regardless of how EP7 turns out, we are in for some STUNNING cgi work. Everything has improved so much since the (still watchable) cgi of Revenge of the Sith. And if you want more encouragement, look at the trailers for JJ's second Star Trek. That breif clip of someone free falling off of crumbling skyscraper is awesome.

Episode Swag and Death T like this.
  12. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    I saw ten minutes of the new Star Trek movie before The Hobbit and the CGI looked amazing, stunning. That ten minutes alone gave me faith that JJ will use it appropriately and we may be in for having our minds blown.

13. DarthVengeant

DarthVengeant Jedi Master star 3

Oct 14, 2004
    I'd rather they go back to basics like in A New Hope and use models. Things looked more organic then, now half the time it feels like a cartoon. Like that new Oz movie. HORRIBLE use of CGI.

Hydro spanner Celt likes this.
  14. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    Sure. Use more props, makeup, and other practical effects but at the same time heavily incorporate CGI. It's 2013 now. When this flick comes out, it will be 2015 or later. (delays are very possible this early in the production stage). This thing will also have a huge budget. Disney will not mess this up. I'll tell you one thing, if this movie fails it will not be because of its looks or special effects. I highly expect this to be the best looking Star Wars film to date. You can take that to the bank. This movie will be at least 10 years removed from Revenge of the Sith, which is still very watchable. The third movie in this trilogy may not come out until 2019 or 2020. We will not be talking bad CGI in 2020 guys.

Episode Swag likes this.
  15. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Who cares about a huge budget?! Nowadays you don't even have to pay the studio!

16. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Hopefully they will use the right combination of CGI along with actual costumes, real life sets, and miniatures. Some of the best looking films in my opinion were The Lord of the Rings films, When The Hobbit was released I expected it would look amazing because of over 10 more years of CGI development. Although it looked "really cool" it just didn't have the same realistic feel.....kinda like the PT compares to the ST. Just because with CGI you can have a lot going on or massive battle scenes that are amazing and really neat to look at, it doesn't mean they look "real." I have faith that we will be blown away with the special effects in EP 7 but unless you were there back in the day, nothing will ever compare to how the effects in ANH shocked and amazed the world.

17. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I am not really worried about the quality of the CGI. Still I say u blend it with real life sets, minatures and other tricks of the trade. Honestly though this is at the bottom of my list way below stuff like Actor/Actresses, Script and Plot.

18. kegs202

kegs202 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    Ships, locations & space battles benefit greatly from CGI but no more CGI clone/stormtroopers, they look dreadful and really take you out of the movie. There are times when the old fashioned way of people in costume is still the best way to go. Just because CGI is available doesn't mean it has to be used at every opportunity.

19. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I completely agree.

20. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    It's not the fact that those are done with CG, it's how they're done with it. There are some films where those battle scenes have been done fantastically, and some where you can clearly see that they needed more time + money (THE HOBBBITTTT)

Episode Swag likes this.
  21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I think CGI is going to be awesome and mix it with practical effect and you will be fine.

22. Hydro spanner Celt

Hydro spanner Celt Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 9, 2013
    Second that nothing beats real costume

23. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Like noted, Abram's Trek had a lot of actual sets instead of just straight out CGI. The bridge, the engine room, the hallways, most of the academy, all the parts where they could shove props without having no choice but to go with CGI scenes.

24. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'm thinking they'll go for really bad CGI. Think Atari, ZX81, Vic20. That way, when you watch in numerical order the technology will be on a downward slop thru the trilogies

25. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I'm hoping for a few performance-capture characters. I think the technology is phenomenal and will only get better. That's the great thing about CGI and visual and special effects in general: the only way is up.

Episode Swag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.