main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Qui-Gon Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by female_obi_wan, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    Hello my brethren of Qui-Gon. I would like to remind you all to vote in the the JC Elections. Got to the Elections Game and then vote. As a member of the GRKP I would hope that you would vote for me and my running mate KenKenobi. But the choice is yours and your alone.

I bid you peace.

2. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    *cough* IAMS *cough*

:p

I haven't been here for a while! :eek:

Someone mentioned the Qui-Gon/Tahl thing...that's so evilness! Evilness Watson killing Tahl! :mad:

Poor Qui-Gon... :(

And Obi-Wan...

Anyone know of any Qui/Tahl fanfic? ?[face_plain]

3. SECRETSISTER

SECRETSISTER Jedi Master star 8

Nov 18, 2001
    Is Tahl in the JA books?

4. female_obi_wan

female_obi_wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 1, 2002
    Yes, she is. :)

Hmmm...

Qui/Tahl fanfics...there's one archived at my website. It's by JediAKM, and it takes place when they're both apprentices...

Hard Love

Then there's a few on ff.net's JA section. 'If you ever leave me' and 'Footprints'. Both are very sweet, so if you ever go to fanfiction.net check them out. :)

As for me,I wrote a humor fic about their first date once. :D Link's on my profile.

I put the fifth part of Making up today, BTW. :) I was going to post here asking for help with something in it, then I realised I'd be giving away the ending. So I'll go off topic (well, this is the Qui thread, after all) and ask...what do you think caused the first major rift in the Yoda-Dooku realeationship? I've been trying to think up something creative, but the best thing I can think of is something like the Tahl thing in JA, and that seems like ripping off. 8-}

Although now I've reached the end of the post I've just had a good idea, so you may completely disregard all that. *rolls her eyes* Oh well.

As an added note...I can't spell today. ;)

EDIT: Actually, the good idea probably won't work, so...;)

5. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    *hopes this hasn't become the sarah-talks-about-fanfic-and-irritates-everyone-thread*

Here's a question...what does everyone think of the whole out-for-revenge thing in the JA books? (for those who haven't read them, after Tahl dies,Qui goes a little mad and tries to kill the people who killed her)

Were you screaming? Cheering? Wanting to find Jude Watson and show her your TPM DVD? :D

6. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Padawan_Jess_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Lol, Sarah. :D About the whole revenge thing, I kinda thought Qui was a little out of control. But I will settle for the 3rd option- I wanted to find Jude, grab her by the neck, and show her my TPM DVD. :D I thought Obi dealt with the revenge thing really well. His Master was acting sort of insane, you know ;)

7. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Huh? I don't get that about the TPM dvd thing. :confused: I actually didn't mind that part. It made Qui-Gon seem very human; less like a Jedi Maste who's always perfect and can take everything in stride which fits very well with the way we see him in the earlier books. It also makes him seem very strong because in the end he doesn't give into wanting revenge and is still a Jedi.

One of the best things about Qui-Gon is that he is not perfect and never has been perfect. There are times when he does things that aren't so great and you know what? I might dislike the things he does when he gets like that (ditching Obi-Wan for Anakin, seeking revenge etc) but they make him more realistic as a character. He's not quite so thin. In the end a movie where characters all did exactly the right thing at exactly the right time wouldn't go very far at all. Thus endeth the rant.

8. Malz4JESUS

Apr 12, 2002
    Well, I guess that's true... :p

I'll have to check out those fanfics obi-wan! :D

9. Kaya_Kel

Kaya_Kel Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2001
    *putting in her two cents*
    I thought Qui-Gon did go a little overboard, but somehow I still found it believeable. (Is that spelled right?) I kinda think that the Jedi are screwing themselves over with the no emotion attachment rule, but now that I'm typing that it makes sense why they would forbid it... never mind. I forgot where I was going with this. Anyway, I felt for Qui-Gon. (I cried. Oh yeah.)

10. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    You actually cried? :( How sweet.

11. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    Wild, the TPM DVD thing meant 'did you think everyone was out of character so you wanted to show her the DVD and explain how they should be written? :)

I'm not sure about the revenge thing. Maybe it was a bit over the top, I thought Qui would be more the type to sink into depression, not really go for revenge- but I haven't read JA16 in a while. [face_blush]

Here's another question-

Qui's actions before the council in TPM and the Qui/Obi arguement- what do you all make of that?

I don't think it was a betrayal- insensitive, but not a betrayal. I don't think Obi saw it that way either, he just seemed to be annoyed at his Master's single-mindedness.

This always leads to interesting debates for both the Qui and Obi fans. :) Anyone want to debate/ rant? :)

12. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    I'll be glad to debate/rant on this topic!! You know I am a thoroughly rabid Obi fan, and a very loyal Qui fan. :D

Anyway, I think that Qui didn't ditch Obi to hurt him. He was just doing what he thought he was right. And I wouldn't have blamed him too much for it if he had done the same thing- but perhaps went about it in a different way. You see, he should have told Obi what he was about to do before the Council Meeting. No matter how important Anakin was to the Galaxy (being Mr High and Mighty Chose One and all) he shouldn't have disregarded his padawan like that.

And I have to disagree with you, Sarah. I think Obi did see it as betrayal. Right after Qui announces his intentions about Anakin in front of the Council, the scene flashes to show just his face, and you can see the sadness and surprise in his face. He thought that his Master was "disowning" him in front of the Council. That's what I think anyway. Feel free to disagree, I like to debate ;)

And what do you guys think about the Qui death scene? Notice that he said "Train the boy" about twice. You think he could have squeezed in an "I love You" or something like that for Obi? :(

13. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    I know, Jess- that's one thing I'm ticked off at. But as for the scene in the Council chambers... Maybe Obi saw it as a bit of a betrayal but I don't think it was as bad as they make it seem in all the angst fics. I mean, look at it this way- he was ready to face the trials and become a knight v. soon. Within a short while Qui wouldn't have had a Padawan anymore. I'm sure he and Obi-Wan talked about that and that Obi didn't mind the idea of Qui taking another Padawan after him. Although you definitely have a point Jess- a little warning about what, specifically, he was going to do before hand might have been nice too. ;)

14. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    Yes, I know Obi wouldn't have minded if Qui took Anakin, but after he was knighted. You also have to think back to the JA books. Qui never intitially wanted Obi in the first place, a sort of betrayal in Obi-Wan's mind. Also, I'm sure it gave Obi a feeling of negativeness towards himself. Now onto TPM. Qui all of a sudden disowns him in front of the Council. Those old feelings of betrayal and uncertainty come back to our ginger haired youth. ;) He probably wondered what he did wrong and everything.

But another point I have to make here. As Huntress already said, Obi was very near to being knighted, so one might think that perhaps Obi wouldn't have minded so much. Well think of it this way. What if Obi got the feeling that he was such a failure, that Qui didn't even want to see him through his Knighting? That the most important event in Obi-Wan's life was so unsignificant to Qui-Gon that he would give up Obi, even if he was just days/weeks/months away from the knighting. And also, I thought I read somewhere- that if your Master gives you up, you can be exiled from the Temple. Keep in mind that Obi is way to old to have another Master, so if the Council agreed with Qui and allowed him to take Anakin... Obi would have no chance to be Knighted. He would have to go away from the Temple.

How saddening to Obi must it have been that his Master betrayed him when he was so close to being a Knight. If Qui had taken Ani as a padawan, all of Obi-Wan's life long dreams would have been gone. And all you JA fans know how hard Obi worked to get Qui's attention and try to be the perfect padawan. :(He could have perhaps explained the situation to Obi, and if possible, requested his Knighting Trials to take place a little bit earlier. He himself said that Obi was ready.

Wow! What a rant, huh? [face_shocked]
    I guess you guys can see that I love to debate! ;) Sorry if there were any spelling mistakes- I type really fast and when I type a lot, I tend to spell a lot of things wrong. ;)

15. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    A good rant nonetheless, and well put. I agree and I think I said so somewhere before. And I still love Qui-Gon.

16. female_obi_wan

Aug 1, 2002
    [interuption]

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/news/2003/03/img/legacy_bg.jpg]

^
    |
    |
    |
    Young Qui! Eeeee!

[/interuption]

17. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    SECRETSISTER, thanks! :) Despite all that- I still also love Qui, too :D

Sarah: Awesome! Do you nkow when that book is coming out? It looks awesome! :D

18. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Interesting...

Now I must set aside money for this book. :D

19. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    veeeeeeery intriguing!

20. Padawan_Jess_Kenobi

Nov 20, 2002
    But which one is Qui? I know Obi is in the center, to his right in Anakin ( [face_strongly_dislike] ) But is that Qui to his right, or Dooku? :confused: Does anyone know when its coming out? I wanna read it NOW! :D

21. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    I think the one beside Obi is Qui Qui. Supposedly, I read it is coming out in August, though I agree, I wanna read it now too. Sigh, the wait will be long...

22. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    I'm gonna assume that the one next to Obi is Qui also because it looks like they're going in time line order. ;) Oy, I'm gonna have to buy this book and I never have any money. :( But I finally bought the Dark Rival today. :)

23. Malz4JESUS

Apr 12, 2002
    That's a cool cover! :eek: :D

Is it out already? ?[face_plain]

And what do you guys think about the Qui death scene? Notice that he said "Train the boy" about twice. You think he could have squeezed in an "I love You" or something like that for Obi?

I know! I thought about that too! That was one thing Qui did that made me mad!

...ok Finding Anakin in the first place too, but oh well :p

Qui's actions before the council in TPM and the Qui/Obi arguement- what do you all make of that? [/i]

Obi was mad at first, but got over it when he realized that that meant he'd be a Knight! :p

24. JacenHornSolo

JacenHornSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 29, 2002
  25. SECRETSISTER

Nov 18, 2001
    Twice that. I still don't understand why Qui-gon didn't disappear when he died.... or for that matter Anakin Solo, too. Somebody please remove my denseness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.