main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread : New Challenge **Qui-Gon as a kid ** updated 5/8/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwww that was so good of Yoda ....I honestly didn't know what to expect with Obi going to Yoda ... aww but he was helping not hurting.. I think that's part of the reason the Jedi fell .. they're stance on love .. such a great job!

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Just replying as I read one here and there.

JalendaviLady What a lovely story! The interaction here was beautifully done.

3. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    ::sniff:: That is beautiful. Yes, the Jedi needed to remember that love makes you stronger, not weaker. And labeling a thirteen-year-old a failure always did strike me as cruel. I like the changes.

4. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    OK, this one is Jade's fault. At least indirectly.

Title: I Won't Dance
    Author: Knight_Dilettante
    Timeframe: Pre JA
    (Indeed, Pre-Xan I think. But after the first padawan whether or not said first padawan was Mace Windu)
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Ranking Minister Dianara
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn reconfirms that he is not made of asbestos.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I thank you for the honor, but I won't dance, My Lady." Qui-Gon's smile was calculated to indicate a polite disinterest in an activity for which his body yearned. It had been ten years since he had seen her last. She had become a Ranking Minister in the Government in that time. Ranking Ministers were supposed to think only of their constituents. To work ceaselessly for their causes. To age faster from the stresses of their profession. They were not supposed to be so, so... unchanged by time. So beautiful still.

And he had become a Jedi Master. Jedi Masters were supposed to show an even greater dedication to the code than Knights. To scrupulously abide by both the letter and the spirit of the code of behavior that had been handed down over the last few hundred years. They were not supposed to be swayed by memories or emotions. So hungry for what they could not have.

For neither the first, nor the last time, Qui-Gon felt he had been born out of his time. Too late. A Living Force Jedi in this time was alone in ways that no Jedi not similarly afflicted with a strong penchant for the more chaotic aspects of the Force could possibly understand. Had he been born some five or six hundred years earlier, he would not have been so alone.

But then, she would not be here. Looking up at him with eyes that were equal parts blue and silver. Emotions shining in them for only him to see; equal parts stricken at his refusal, and mocking of his own transparent attempt to hide his feelings.

She found her voice again, it was husky with her own repressed emotions, though he found the mere sound of it drove the ability to discern which emotions they were from him as swiftly as her first words tumbled from her lips. "What harm can one little dance do? You know the steps. I know you have not forgotten them."

Qui-Gon was horrified to realize that not only did he still know the steps but his feet were stepping out the paces on their own account, in shorter lengths naturally but still, his traitorous body was moving through the pattern without his having intended it to. He stilled his body and his heart, and turned to look beyond the vineyard seen outside the window in whose embrasure she had trapped him. The window was in truth a glass door leading out to the terrace.

"Who can say what harm may come from even the smallest action, My Lady." Qui-Gon answered her.

"Is then, inaction always best, Master Jinn? Certainly it is simpler. Requiring less courage in most cases" She challenged.

"But on occasion, more strength," he parried.

"So you advocate inaction as the best solution to our trouble?" Her riposte was enigmatic under the circumstances.

"Inaction is unlikely to serve your people well in the case of this incursion into your sovereignty, My Lady." Qui-Gon retreated back into their earlier conversation.

"Walk with me." She said as she opened the glass door out to the terrace.

It was her Minister voice and he obeyed it as if it had been any of the other Ministers. Though he knew, deep inside him where all his secrets were locked away, that he had obeyed her and not the Minister. He held his arm for her to tuck her own through so that he could support her as they walked over the smooth marble floor, through the doors and down two steps to the slate block terrace.

The music carried out into the night air, mingling with the perfumes of the flowering vines and the woman on his arm. He closed his eyes. Only for a moment. Only to remember for one fraction of an instant. It was too long.

She had turned to face him, and before he was able to open his eyes and halt m

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Oh, KD I loved it. So much fire and pain in the simple act of kissing her and then at the end to tell her that he shouldn't have done it. I especially liked your word choices His other hand tangled in her hair, though that was surely impossible because her hair had been too carefully arranged in too formal a style. It was as silky as his fingers remembered.

Brings a lot of vivid imagery to the story and the whole dance was lovely.

Great job!

And why was it Jade's fault?

JalendaviLady Oops, I missed this one somehow. When writing, I don't read. Focus and all that.
    I like how Obi-Wan was able to bring the problems to the Council and they began to look at the Code rules in a different way. Now, they will be free to follow their hearts... Nicely done.

6. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    KD That was absolutely beautiful! =D= I could really feel for both parties there at that piece.

7. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Just wanted to drop in and see how Qui-Gon's love life is going. Poor guy...

8. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Agh! I was right! All the serious romances end sadly!

::mutters unintelligibly . . . thinking about a certain AU idea that has been kicking around in her mind for days.::

9. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Replies I missed because I am discombobulated this week.

JL I like this AU series of vigs you have done. Shmi gets out to a safe place. Qui doesn't die! It's almost all good. Poor Padmé does lose her family though. That is not a happy thing... You almost got me liking Yoda because of his stance here. It does make sense that he might remember different times doesn't it.

Broken LOL! Loved it! I feel for the Qui in this tale. I had a very similar experience one Valentines Day.

Leona! Waaaaaaa. :_| I was all happy until that last line. I should know better with you after last year.

Jemmiah Oh dear. [face_laugh] See this is why computer dating so rarely works. Someone always forgets a pertinent piece of data.

Master_Noi Oh, so sad that it is after Qui-Gon has died. And yet... at least Obi-Wan gets to see Qui-Gon again.

Diane Why thank you. [face_blush] It is Jade's fault (indirectly) because of her comment about the singing in the shower on the Qui-Gon discussion thread (though this is not the horrible bunny she unleashed - that one will take some research and will have its own thread), and then one of my favorite Fred Astaire songs popped into my mind as I mentioned there. The lyrics are very simple and light but incredibly evocative, particularly the final male part:

But this feeling isn't purely mental.
    For heaven rest us
    I'm not asbestos.
    And that's why...

I won't dance. Why should I?
    I won't dance. How could I?
    I won't dance, merci beaucoup.

I know that music leads the way to romance.
    And if I hold you in my arms... I won't dance.

Of course, a lot of it is the delivery. I find I vastly prefer Fred Astaire's delivery for many of the songs that he originated. Despite the fact that Frank Sinatra redid so many of them and I heard his version first. Astaire sang to serve the meaning of the lyric if that makes sense.

I'm getting to where I can actually enjoy a musical now and then nowadays. I used to hate them with a passion usually reserved for poisonous insects with only a few exceptions. Almost all Fred Astaire musicals I enjoy and have done since high school when I first saw them. And Cole Porter's songs are too much fun not to enjoy wherever they may appear. Danny Kaye is another one whose musicals I have enjoyed. And I liked Camelot. Though I have no idea why. And it produced yet another mini-bunny for this challenge. I already had a further five I was going to do. Ya'll are going to get tired of seeing my name popping up. ;)

KD

10. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oi vey that was a mite steamy, KD! Wowzers...

There are so many of these romances!! [face_love] Man if love wasn't in the air, it sure is now!!! :D

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    KD, believe me, I'll never get tired of reading Qui romance stories... :p

Bring 'em on!

12. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    OK I blame Diane for this bunny. She challenged me to write outside my norm and something bit immediately and I still have the marks :p Special thanks to Master_Noi for the beta.

Title: A Different Type of Tradition
    Author: Layren
    Characters: Qui-Gon and Tahl
    Timeframe: PreJA
    Summary: Qui-Gon ponders his relationship with Tahl in his journal.

Qui-Gon POV

It is strange to think that we are told as Jedi never to form attachments. We are to go from place to place mediating disputes, never once to grow close to those we serve, for attachment is forbidden. One would think that celibacy would be required for Jedi, but that is far from the truth. We can have relations with whomever we choose ? as long as we don?t get close. The system is hard, especially on the young ones.

Tahl and I have decided to ignore the system.

Is it so wrong to love when my heart whispers that I must?

She gave me a letter today.

We have this tradition, she and I.

Whenever we come back from missions we write to each other just as though we were gone. It?s an old form of courtship that the Masters won?t be able to notice as easily but one that works just as well.

So much can be said in the written word. I love you can be written as well as spoken. I?ll place the letter here for safekeeping. I have kept all the letters she has written to me.

I have quite a collection.

I like to imagine that she keeps the ones I?ve written her. She has an old wooden chest that she picked up on a mission that she keeps her personal mementos in. I like to think that it is filled with the story of our courtship.

One has to wonder about the rest of the story. So many times in storybooks throughout the cultures of the galaxy a couple marries and lives happily ever after.

I wonder if we can ever have that ever after.

For now I will sleep and dream of the endless possibilities that lie ahead of us.

13. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    See, outside the norm! Bunnies thrive there. Good job with the challenge. Qui-Gon and Tahl exchanging letters. Well done!

14. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Awwww. I love the idea of people keeping love letters. I love the idea of love letters. I wonder if that is because I have never gotten a love letter.

KD

15. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    Like I told Layren, I always have this image of a woman's perfume or something being on a letter which makes the idea of exchanging letters more very romantic to me.

16. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    =D= great job, Laurie! nice, quick, but oh-so-sweet peek into Qui & Tahl's relationship...i like it that they are using an ancient form of courtship in those letters, very sweet & cool ;)

17. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Some great Qui Romance stories here! I've always thought he was the most approachable of the Jedi and the most likely to let himself (or herself) fall in love. =D= to all of the authors!

18. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Hehehe love letters. Indeed, she keeps the most current one on her at all times, ain't that right Master? hehehe Silly girl. *Toasts a glass in the air* "Here is to young love and breaking the Code."

19. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Ok, I simply can't help myself. This is the first in a series of tales that is brought to you by the Romance Writer's Handbook of Stock Situations.

First up, Diane?s required drabble with an end. (Thank you Diane for ordering that up - there was no way I was going to get this situation done without that 100 word limit.)

It embodies Stock Situation 1) The Heroine working as a domestic for the Brooding Hero somehow inspires love in him by subsuming her own needs to his or constantly chastising him for the manner of his life.

Title: Jinn Err
    Author: Knight_Dilettante
    Timeframe: Pre-JA, post Xan
    Characters: Knight Qui-Gon Jinn, The Woman
    Genre: romance (??)
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn falls for his housekeeper.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When first I met Master Jinn, he seemed a dark and brooding man. I had been hired by the Jedi Council to keep house for him as no other would go near him, and only I was desperate enough for a job to consider living in the abode of a man so volatile of temper. As the months passed I came to see under the exterior, an injured heart. It spoke to me, and so I began to try to heal it. To my surprise, as much as his, I was successful and he asked me to wed him. Today.

20. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Yay Layren and KD! Excellent job to the both of you! =D=

I told you it was good, Layren! ;)

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Very good, KD. See, you can do it! I knew that you had it in you to be short and with an ending! Good job.

22. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Title: Reading aloud
    Author: dianethx
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Tahl
    Timeframe: JA
    Summary: Sometimes, even a great delivery doesn't help bad writing
    Notes: Layren challenged me to write a dialogue-only drabble. This was harder than I thought it would be.

"My adored one, your ardent eyes consume my being with... Obi-Wan, women like this sort of thing?"

"Absolutely. Only yesterday, Master Tahl was reading it and smiling a lot."

"Hummmm... my heart aflame, burning with desire for your fervent touch, every.... I can't believe it. I would have thought Tahl had better taste. She liked this?"

"Well, she kept quoting it."

"Passionate kisses sear my.... this is impossible. In the Force's name, why does Tahl want me to read this to her?"

"She said bad writing sounds better when you read it..."

"And..."

"And.... she needed a good laugh."

"Obi-Wan!!!"

23. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]=D==D=

Brilliant Diane! A most excellent rise to the challenge :D

24. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    K_D - Great job - and a definite ending!

diane - That was hillarious.

Okay, I better get working on mine.

25. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] ROFLOL [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

That was lovely Diane. 'Course Tahl has a point. The phone book would sound wonderful if Qui-Gon was reading it. Oh great. Just great. Now I have another bunny hopping aboot the place. I tell ya fricasse of rabbit is rapidly becoming a likely dinner item around here. They are breeding much too quickly.

KD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.