main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Qui-Gon Jinn Challenge Thread : New Challenge **Qui-Gon as a kid ** updated 5/8/05

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by dianethx, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Loved the dancing, Princess. It's hard to write dancing well. That was a great story. And that hair! :D Obi-Wan just keeps getting his Master into all sorts of trouble, doesn't he?

VaderLvr, that was great. Wonderful reflections. I live in the middle of an Amish community, and let me tell you, it's more of a culture than a religion. They carouse and get drunk and and all too, but in a very Amish way. :D Not sure what that says about the Jedi . . . Anyway, Qui-Gon's musing were very poignant. Great job.

2. DreamOfKenobi

DreamOfKenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 4, 2004
    Lovely viggies all the way around! =D= Now if only I could write my way out of a wet paper bag! :(

3. Master_Noi

Master_Noi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    VaderLVR - Very Nice. That was a very interesting idea - giving them a chance to decide if they wanted to stay withing the order.

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Next challenge is up.

Qui-Gon has been labeled a rogue in fan fic and even Obi-Wan said that his Master doesn't follow the rules in TPM. But is he? Explore his roguish side in the newest challenge. Begins March 27.

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I can't wait to see Rogue Qui-Gon in action! :D

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I'm feeling supremely silly as I write this ; but aside from two or three sentences - I don't have much idea about what exactly comprises the whole Jedi-Code. [face_worried] Can someone please tell me where I can get the whole list, or something (so I can think of possible transgressions)?

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Actually, except for the (probably same) couple of sentences, I don't know the Code either. I was hoping people would make them up. Even get silly with it... example The little kids might have their own code - like no using the Force in food fights or no hoverchair races in the halls.

There are the forbidden things - no attachment, no possessions, no love.

But I'm not sure that there are any set Codes. Anyone know of any????

Edit: This was the only thing I could find on SW.com.
    According to the Jedi Code, a Jedi Master may only have one Padawan at a time.

8. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of those things that were left deliberately vague so that later no matter what they decided to do, LFL would't be contradicting itself.

So I think everyone is going to have to make up their own. Or use one of the ones that someone else has developed from who knows what sources. There is a site somewhere (might be in the useful sites thread - I'm not sure) that has done an analysis of what they have listed as a Jedi Code but I never could find any kind of official source for any of their supposed code. Not that that means there wasn't one. I just couldn't find it.

If anyone has seen something official beyond what Diane found, I'd love to hear about it too.

KD

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Here's what I posted on the other thread/board:

It'd be a hardback book. Star Wars Role Playing Guide book. It's called Power of the Jedi Sourcebook. They even have The Dark Side Sourcebook. [face_mischief]

It has a whole chapter (Jedi one) on and about the Code itself.

Hopefully that helps. Most Waldenbooks, Barnes and Nobles, and Hastings carry them. I've got most of the SW RPG books myself really, but you don't have to buy them to get the info. Juz take a notebook and jot down the info from it ;) I did that until I got enough money saved up to purchase the books. I love them cuz they have all sorts if info in them. The Ultimage Alien Anthology book juz rocks because of the info it has on the races in SW. :D

This site will allow you to sorta glance at a lil of it so you can know at least what the cover of the book looks like. wizardsofthecoast By all means you don't have to purchase the products to use them. I don't game (though I'd love too...nobody around here plays SW) so I juz use the info from the books. It is sanctioned by GL himself :) Even have info for Rebellion (OT trilogy) and prior to TPM as well.

Hope that helps! :D

10. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    After spending days racking my brains about the Code...I finally came up with this:

All that glitters...

Blue. Green. Violet. Grey? Perhaps. There were even shades of pink and orange, if one chose to look closely at it. A feast to the eyes, certainly?especially if one raised it to light?and then, it threw out a stream of colours that could truly dazzle the eye and the mind. For it channeled the Force. To a sentient being, it was an object of great mystery, of value, of forces and memories only vaguely felt?to a Force user, it meant more...so much more. Power. Addictive to the weak mind, but a wealth of sustenance to any who could control it. One could feel the warmth of it seep into one?s fingers, creep through flesh, bone and blood, the surge of Force wending it?s way through one?s veins?and the world exploded into a shower of energy. But that was not its only merit. There was another, much stronger emotion that coursed through the brilliantly coloured planes?

?You do realise that you cannot keep it,? commented a voice?a voice that was remarkably bland, considering the circumstances. But then, Council-Member, Jedi Master Mace Windu was well-known for uttering soul-stirring speeches in an expression-less voice. Many Jedi claimed to have mastered this art; Master Windu was one of the very few who had actually done so. Certainly, he had had occasion to prove it many times during the course of the lately concluded mission...

...a relatively simple assignment that had begun with a single master-padawan team sent to collect a band of refugees pursued by a certain section of the citizens of planet Alum?re?but which had eventually involved two more master-padawan teams?that of Jedi master Qui-Gon Jinn, and his padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, among them. Strangely enough?or perhaps, not quite so strangely?both refugees, as well as their pursuers were natives of Alum?re; a thought that caused no uncommon misery to the pursued. Sensing the seriousness of a mission that had almost splintered into myriad segments, Master Windu had journeyed thither to put together what he personally termed ?a few loose pieces.? Fortunately, there had been little work to do when he had arrived; the teams sent before him had managed to bring affairs to completion?a prospect that afforded no end of relief to all concerned.

?An explanation would not be amiss,? murmured Master Jinn. Master Windu darted a look at him, eye-brows raised; the former noted with a faint thread of amusement that his head actually seemed to enhance the illumination in one of the two cabins the shuttle possessed.

?Too many off-world missions have warped your memory, old friend. Must I send you to an initiates session of ?Lessons From the Code?, when we arrive on Coruscant??

Qui-Gon smiled faintly at this attempt at humour?though his gentian-blue eyes indicated that it did not really appeal to him. The master raised his head, swept strands of long chest-nut hair away from his temples and threw a look as though confirming that they were, indeed alone, for the present. The others were in the adjoining cabin?cramped though it was, they had respected Master Windu?s need to confer with his age-mate; Obi-Wan, he sensed, was in the cock-pit.

His gaze settled once more on the near-circular object he held in his large hands?the Z?rone crystal, native to Alum?re?and source of power and mystery to its people. So rare was it that only ten pieces existed in the known galaxy?the Temple owned one. To gain one was a great accomplishment; for it could only be acquired as a gift from the people of Alum?re?for signal services rendered. Their own sadly complicated mission had had plenty to do with the mines that yielded such trouble-ridden crystals. One which, they hoped fervently, had been resolved for good measure.

?It was given as a gift, Mace.? said the master. ?As a gesture of gratitude, to Obi-Wan.?

?Upon which, Obi-Wan promptly presented it to you,? Master Windu?s voice held a goodly mixture of sarcasm and good-humour. ?Why he should ever hav

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    That was so beautiful. I really, really loved it. The dynamics of the group, the way obi and Qui talk through the Force, the fact that Qui-Gon wanted to keep the crystal as a way of honoring Obi-Wan. Just lovely.
    I especially loved this...
    ?Years ago, on a certain padawan?s life-day, I presented him with a?rock. To all intents and purposes, it was just a rock?and yet this apprentice did not consider it as such. He tucked it away into a fold of his tunic, carried it with him in all missions?he still does. He has communicated to me, more than once, about what it means to him. At times with his words?at others, with his actions. The foolish young one?sometimes, he thinks I do not know; that I have not noticed?yet I do. I always have.?

Obi-Wan?s face was tinged a delicate pink. Suddenly, he appeared to find the floor very interesting.

?I honour his faith and affection?by preserving the crystal he chose to give me. I wished to let him know the value I placed on it?and I could think of no greater way to accomplish this than by using it in my light-sabre?a Jedi?s most valuable possession. I could no more give it away, than I would my sabre. It is now a part of myself?and so it shall remain, until I pass into the Force?and beyond.? Qui-Gon stopped. ?If this is a transgression, padawan mine?.then so be it.?

Great job. Very well done. =D=

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Oh, thank you, Diane. Glad that you liked it so very much :). I didn't want to make it too sappy.

13. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwww Princess A that ws just lovely -- simply superb. I love how Qui-Gon gave the Temple the crystal they already had and chose to keep his padawan's gift.

Such wonderful Master, Padawan mush. Great job!

14. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Awww that was so sweet! Loved how Qui was actually talking about Obi there at the end ;)

Great job!! =D= Loved the OCs too :D Specially 'Lin! :)

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Arulmozhi, that was truly magnificient! So much detail in the OC's and with the those we already know and love. So much to really enjoy about this... the conflict between the teams, the dialog between Mace and Qui and best how awed 'Lin was with Obi-Wan's abilites. in shutting of the pipes with the Force to being able to speak with his master that way as well.

Loved how Qui-Gon kept the crystal... tough Mace apparently approved and his reasoning behind it was fabulous. I think my fave part in all was the relatioship you showed between Qu-Gon and Obi-Wan... and there was no sap involved... just a good strong friendship shown. Bravo!

16. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    That was phenomenal, Princess. =D= So creative, so wonderful.

17. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Another excellent gem, Princess. =D=

I would love to read stories about all these interesting characters you have created. hint hint hint

KD

18. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Layren and Kyn: Thanks :) Aww, indeed. <wonders what they will say to the next one> And 'Lin is cute. :)

Healer leona : Thank you so much. Means a lot to me - and yes, Mace, beneath all that tough exterior, can be...er...budged. :D . And I've always wanted to see Obi-Wan through the eyes of someone else.

LE: Thank you :)

KD: <eye pops> Are you clairvoyant? The Force is strong in you....and anyway, now you've no choice, methinks :D

Eh, I felt the need for some mush. Kindly indulge me. I suppose this can be called a companion piece to 'All that glitters...' :) - it is also in a different vein, I think. Not much conversation - and as for not biding by the rules...uh. Um. :D

'In the eyes of the Beholder...'

Padawan Lersen Tyree was caught in between two moods-neither of which, he was sure, was indispensable to his Jedi training. One was a faint sense of annoyance, and the other was...envy. The former at their not so effective presence on Alum're, and subsequent happenings - which Master Hannica would have immediately identified as wrong, as they had managed to aid in something... - and the latter, much to his chagrin, was directed at Plutlin, and his youth. Youth, which had prompted the boy to indulge in an unself-conscious conversation with senior padawan Kenobi.

Lersen dipped a spoon in his geijke mix, and sighed. The Dining hall was only half-full and the low murmur of Jedi conversing - one could never hear loud voices here - was somewhat soothing to his rather frayed nerves.

It had been more than two weeks since they had returned from Alum're, and to all outwards appearances, all teams had resumed their usual employments. His master had returned to the Nenthe sector to complete pending negotiations, while he himself had been left behind to return to full health; Master Jinn had left, apparently, to Ver'seant, to oversee the smooth transition of Alum're's refuges. What had registered in his mind, however, was the fact that padawan Kenobi had not accompanied him on said mission. This had surprised him considerably, until a few discrete enquiries had elicited the fact Master Jinn's padawan had been retained by one of the Council members - for what purpose, he knew not. But that it was no great matter, he judged, from the frequent appearances Kenobi put in at the training salle.

And therein, he had discovered his cause for chagrin. Padawan Pomkum - the little, bouncy apprentice barely out of his years as an initiate, was apparently taking lessons in sabre techniques from the senior apprentice. The scene had surprised him considerably, when he had first noticed it, a week ag - and the seventeen year-old apprentice had been conscious of a jab of envy. Master Hannica had good technique; her footwork wasn't faulty, and she could hold her own against an opponent; but there was a difference between being good - and being brilliant. He had observed Kenobi during the mission at Alum're, and ever since their return to Coruscant, had known at once that the apprentice belonged to the latter category. Why he took the trouble of following Kenobi's schedule on an irregular basis he couldn't quite fathom - well, he could, actually. His own considerable skills apart, he was apprentice to the great Master Jinn. Master Qui-Gon Jinn, one of the Order's best negotiators - certainly its best swordsman, who secured success in nine of the ten missions that he undertook - which meant that he was despatched on all top-priority assignments, who had a reputation for telling the Jedi Council - the Council! - exactly what he thought, and had fast acquired a name for acting on his instincts. He called it 'following the Force' - Lersen, himself, had no real idea. All Jedi followed the Force, of course, but master Jinn seemed to have a knack of making it seem...different. As though the rules didn't exist. Force, he wore his hair long! And surely the Rules were the same for all Jedi.

He had questioned Master Hannica discreetly about thi

19. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    I finished that with a very happy sigh. I loved it, really. It seemed so comforting, almost like a beloved blanket that you curl up under late at night with a mug of cocoa and firelight.

Frankly, it was perfect. Really. The musings of the Padawan following them around, not understanding their relationship and then realizing just how deep it was. Truly wonderful. I'm going to have to read this one and your other piece a couple of times! Lovely. =D= :D

20. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Awwwwwwwwww [face_love]

I'm in agreement with Diane -- that was such wonderful Master/Padawan mush.. *happy sigh*

=D=

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I love the observations of Lersen, from his opinions of Obi-Wan's stunning lightsaber techniques ( which cause him envy) to Master Jinn's unique view of being a Jedi Master (causing confusion).

This was stellar ... to look at these two through outside eyes was wonderful and so well done, the simple description of Qui-Gon laughing and Lersen's response to it was great. LOL

I think Diane's description of this feeling like a comfoting blanket is perfect.. I am definetely going to have to read this again and again!

22. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I also like the description of a comfortable blanket. A wonderful, warm, fuzzy mush blanket :)

23. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Sigh, lovely. You know, I think you ought to write the whole story of that mission and post it on it's own thread. What? It worked last time! 8-}

I'm not very eloquent lately or I would be able to gush better. I think I need more sleep.

KD

24. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    To KD, you listen. I also think it should be on its own thread.... with more! :D

25. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Awww, that was so wonderful. ::squee!::

I agree with everyone. You need to make this a full-fledged epic. I love the OCs! They deserve to be fleshed out.

With lots more Qui/Obi mush, of course. That was just beautiful. I especially loved the description of Obi-Wan abandoning protocol and resting his arms on his Master's knees--such a gesture of trust and intimacy. Wonderful, wonderful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.