main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga The Quickest Route to Manhood (GWG Valentines Day Challenge Response)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Mandalorian_, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Mandalorian_

The_Mandalorian_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 24, 2004
    The Quickest Route to Manhood

Dearest Ma, Pa and young Katey,

Times have no doubt changed from when you last knew me as a no-good back talkin gambler. The day I ran away from home didn?t leave us on the best of terms, but war?s wizened me up since then, and fighting along side the Rebellions taught me the meaning of discipline. I wound up with the Rebellion after a fellow by the name of Antilles picked me up off of the streets of Coruscant and allowed me a chance to redeem myself from a life of poverty and disgrace to a life of honor and courage. I?m a B-Wing pilot, one of the fastest lugs to fly in Rogue Squadron (my unit) and I?ve just recently completed my commando training so I?d say I could hold my own as a frontline soldier.

Seems like only yesterday, I used to talk about how I was gonna get rich quick and not work a day in my life. Years later, after I?ve killed my first man in a dogfight and fought to not throw up my first ration, I?ve since understood the values of hard work and labor. I just wish I could?ve understood it when I was a younger barve with less hair on my chin and less calluses on my hands.

I?m running with a unit of Rebel Commandos to take down an Imperial shield generator. I cant go any further into details, but I just want you to know that I?m writing this letter with no idea if it?ll ever get to you. This run, be it my last, is as deep as deep can get and, just like the rest of my missions with the Rebellion, its damn near suicide.

This mission will be my last because after ten years of war I?m ready to appreciate the warmth of home, I?m ready to do some work that don?t require staining my clothes with blood everyday, and I?m ready to apologize for everything.

I?ve spent many restless nights thinking of the things I did as a youth like stolen, vandalized, played some pretty mean jokes and said things to you that a son ought not say to his ma and pa. I just want you to know that I aint the same, and I?m coming home anyway. Live or die, I love you all.

Sincerely, Ran

P.S. Tell Katey I met a Jedi. He?s got a green Lightsaber and he?s one of the greatest men I?ve ever met!

2. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    cool! the first non-Jedi to be written in this challenge! i liked it--quite cool idea & you had some great lines in there

great job! :)

3. The_Mandalorian_

Dec 24, 2004
  4. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Very nice. I hope my two teenage boys turn out like this. Good job!

5. The_Mandalorian_

Dec 24, 2004
    Thanks for taking the time you two.

6. Revanche

Revanche Jedi Youngling

Jan 24, 2005
    Very creative idea you have with this one. There are parts that make you feel terrible for the poor guy and other times you have little lines that make it sound so sweet.

Awesome idea for this one. Good luck with the contest!

7. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    I like the point of view of a regular Joe in the Rebellion. It reminds you that not everyone who fought for freedom had a lightsaber or a fast ship.

Good work Madalorian. I enjoyed it.

8. RedGold

RedGold Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2004
    As a history major who has been forced to read a lot of such letters in her studies (only real ones)... I am mighty impressed!

9. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Great job! I like seeing the view of the average person in historical events and you did a wonderful job of bringing their feelings to life. =D=

10. Darth_Djinn

Darth_Djinn Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 16, 2004
    Valentine's Day Bump

11. Mike-Sunrider

Mike-Sunrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 4, 2003
    A wonderful job.

You described the feelings particularly well. I'm impressed.

12. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Seems like only yesterday, I used to talk about how I was gonna get rich quick and not work a day in my life. Years later, after I?ve killed my first man in a dogfight and fought to not throw up my first ration, I?ve since understood the values of hard work and labor. I just wish I could?ve understood it when I was a younger barve with less hair on my chin and less calluses on my hands.

I loved how you showed not only the Rebellion from the point of view of an average person, but also the growth of one man through what he has experienced, and how that growth has changed him.

Excellent job!

13. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Fascinated by the title I had to peek.

For such a short letter we really get quite a bit of info into the characters life, I only worry if the man will ever make it back.

Great viggie!

14. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    Very nice work! I agree that the title was a real eye-catcher. And I'm glad I clicked, because it was worth the read!

15. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Congratulations goes to The_Mandalorian_ for winning The Founder's Choice Award for this month's challenge. Good job, bud!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.