main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The rabid, stupid anti-spoiler culture (current Breaking Bad, GoT TV, and Hamlet spoilers within)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Sep 18, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, that's a separate rant.

Pity parties, sap fests ("I love my hubby! He spoils me so much!" Isn't that special. Have a cookie.), and vague booking.

I like the place, it's an easy way to keep up with a lot of people at once, but I do avoid it on days when something major airs on TV.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought it was a promo for The Walking Dead.

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I post on my FB page probably once every other month, or so. I prefer to do my social interaction here. I used to use it more frequently, but I got sick of all the memes people post. I prefer actual words.

I've never had much of a problem with people posting spoilers, but as I said, I generally don't care too mch about them.

4. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Not quite anymore. Unlike during the Prequels, this is a time when people feel the need to post in their news feeds, Twitter tweets, everything thought or link to any story even if they don't have much of an interest in something. It's a time when people post football scores as if their friends also aren't watching, or as if the people not watching care about it It is too easy to see a post from someone stating "so what's-his-name has been cast as R2-D2's sister. Thoughts?" or to see something like that in unlikely places. In 2004, all I had to do was avoid visiting TheForce.net and the other STAR WARS messageboard where I use to post.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think that was his point. Not everyone uses news feeds, Twitter, Facebook, etc. And for people who don't use these forms of social media, it is not any more "impossible to avoid information" than it was during the prequel era.

I only use Twitter for work so unless someone is posting Star Wars spoilers on the Twitter feed for the American Association of School Librarians, I'm not going to get spoiled through Twitter. I don't use Reddit or read entertainment blogs or visit entertainment sites.

I don't think anyone in this thread is saying this but I have seen this attitude in various places, that "it's impossible to avoid spoilers in this day of social media so I might as well discuss every major plot point that I've learned about any TV show or movie that hasn't aired yet, and anyone who doesn't want to know that major plot point should just unplug their computers and crawl back under a rock." That attitude is just as ****ty from the opposite end as the attitude that "nobody should post about this movie that has been out for several months or this book that has been out for several years because I haven't read it yet."

6. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    idk jabberwacky. I'd say the ratio of good/decent/crappy/UUUUUUGH conversations I've had would be the same here or on facebook. The internet's the internet. Useful for some things, crappy for others.

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I wasn't saying an opinion, Master Penn. I was telling you a fact.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah, I also get annoyed by stuff. Stuff sucks.

DarthTunick likes this.
  9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    You tryin' to say somethin', bro?

10. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    3 pages and no one has tagged Strilo ????

Ender Sai and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  11. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Didn't he kill Dumbledore?

12. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I didn't mention Pearl Jam spoilers.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    People are ******* watercoolers?

I mean I knew it was bad out there, I didn't know it was that bad

15. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I don't like to be spoiled, I like seeing things without knowing about them beforehand. On the other hand that just means that I need to be careful when looking around social media sites, since due to timezones and and different air dates I tend to be behind on most things. I take it as my responsibility and I wont get angry about people posting about what they've just seen. It can also go the other way around. For example my tumblr-feed has been filled with posts about Graceland the whole summer, and now I'm starting to get interested in the series and might have to check it out.

One thing I can't understand though is when people go to the theater or opera, buy a program, and then read up on the whole thing before going in and watching it. I understand that it was necessary in older times, but nowadays plays/operas are either performed translated or at the opera houses you have text machines. That is not just knowing about a plot point or two, that's knowing the full story before watching it. I have actually made it a thing that I never read the synopsis in the program before watching an opera nowadays, on the other hand since I did the countdown of the top 100 operas on this forum there aren't many operas left that I can see unspoiled anymore.