main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Rank Of Jedi Master

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Riptide572, Jun 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riptide572

Riptide572 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    Got a question for you guys, and this has more to do with the movies than the Expanded Universe.
    Is the rank of Jedi Master ONLY granted to those on the council? Are there Masters that are not on the Jedi Council? Again, this has more to do with the movies than the EU. I only bring this up, because I can't think of any Master from the movies that wasnt on the council.
    For you EU buffs out there, what is the deal with Masters in that? (Please, let me know if it's canon or EU)

2. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
  3. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Qui-Gon was a Jedi Master who was not on the council. There were lots of Jedi Masters during the Old Republic who were not council members. In order to achieve the rank of Jedi Master, I believe you had to train a Padawan to knighthood.

Hope that helps :)

4. Jedi_Linewalker

Jedi_Linewalker Jedi Master star 2

May 1, 2005
    From the way they talk, especially in ROTS, there are Masters other than those on the Council. Its very unusual for a Jedi to be elected to the Council that isn't a Master, but you don't have to be on the Council to be a Master.

Also too, with around 10,000 active Jedi in the galaxy, it'd be a stretch of the imagination for sure if there were only 13 Masters.

Hope that helps

5. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    The rank of Master can be granted to someone outside the council, I believe. Since you are trying to reference the movies, the first Jedi that comes to mind is Qui-Gon Jinn, who certainly wasn't on the council (and indeed according to novels and some characterizations was often quite defiant of it.)

I can't think of any other characters off the top of my head.

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    A Jedi can become a master either by being appointed to the council, or by completing training of a padawan.

7. Riptide572

Riptide572 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2005
    Awesome guys, thank you.
    I totally fogot about good ol' Qui-Gon.

8. Darth_Luinel_Kun

Darth_Luinel_Kun Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2005
    It was there choice.

9. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    A Jedi can become a master either by being appointed to the council, or by completing training of a padawan.

I think there are even certain situations where extraordinary acts have been enough to promote a Knight to Master status, even in the case where they might not have trained a Padawan. I can't think of a particular instance where it happened, though...but I remember reading something along those lines.

10. SkalenFehl

SkalenFehl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    According to an official source, I can't remember where, master is also a courtesy that is extended to Jedi by other Jedi, though they may not have been confirred that rank yet. There are many examples. One would be the small youngling in the Temple referring to Anakin as master during the raid by order 66. If you watch the movies over again, I'm sure you'll find even Obi-Wan referred to by this title, though he hadn't yet been granted the rank.

11. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Also, before Lucas contradicted himself, in TPM there was a Jedi on the Council that was not a Master, but a mere Knight. I'd have to check my references, but I believe it was Ki Adi Mundi.

12. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    It was Ki-Adi, it's in the EU page of his profile on the Official site. That was an EU thing not a movie thing so technically GL didn't contradict himself, only EU. ;)

sg

13. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    EU is canon, Riptide. :rolleyes: It's only non-canon when Lucas directly contradicts it.

And there are two different forms of Master, there's Jedi Master, and Master Jedi. Master Jedi, is a formal name for any Jedi, besides a padawan, because apparently from the movies themselves a padawan isn't a Jedi. And a Padawan isn't necisarilly the apprentice of another Jedi, it's a young Jedi who's not a Knight.

Now a Jedi Master is either a knight who has trained an apprentice. Or a Jedi who is well versed in his knowledge of the Force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.