main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rathtars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BOBA-FETT-82, Dec 18, 2015.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Darth Geezy : Please don't make multiple back-to-back posts. You can quote more than one post to reply to in the same post, and you can also use the Edit function to add to your posts.

-----------

I really liked the rathtars scene. Tell that to Kanjiklub.

2. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    You know you can't trust those little freaks.

AmySolo and EHT like this.
  3. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    I thought they were an uninspired and weirdly cartoony design (in the context of the film at least, not compared to other CGI beasts from the prequels) but that was my only beef. The scene itself was ok.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'd prefer if they were mature, strong ones. Han doesn't go for the weak stuff. He's a pro.

Ricardo Funes and AmySolo like this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    i think the scene is perfect. han gives a guy an "indy punch" and throws him into a rathtar. the rathtars eat people and belch. there's a rathtar stuck to the windshield just like a giant mynock and then it disintegrates as they jump to hyperspeed from inside a ship.

what else could you want from sw?

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    It wasn't my favorite scene but it was still a fun scene. Nice to see some of the underworld via the gangs. Plus those Rarthtars were creepy enough to almost give a horror feel to the scene.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  7. Miras-Etrin

Miras-Etrin Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2013
    If th cheesy is done right then it belongs to SW movie. Personally, I liked them more than rancor in ROTJ.

8. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The rathtars were the weakest part of the film, other than the gonzo Falcon cockpit gag, which felt like something out of Men in Black.

9. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I find it hard to connect to obvious CGI things. When it's a CG enhanced practical effect it works much better, and I bet the rathtars would have been super-awesome if they were done with CG enhanced stop motion and camera tricks (bring back the classic reverse filmed tentacle wrapping around limbs)! I'm sure Adywan will sort that out one day. :D

You're damn right about the cheese. I still prefer the rancor though.

10. Daharis

Daharis Jedi Youngling

Dec 29, 2015
    It was silly and pretty much the entire time from when Han shows up in the Falcon to when the FO trashes Maz's planet was pretty boring to me.

BUT, I did like that Han purposefully threw a guy into the rathar's mouth. It was like JJ saying "Yeah, Han shot first. That's the kind of guy he is."

Watching people get murdered brutally, like in the rancor bit, did say to me that this wasn't going to be Clone Wars Star Wars, aka kids Star Wars.

There was merit to it, but I felt like 30 minutes could have been used for something else. Maz didn't seem to matter and the rathar thing was a little silly. Woulda rather seen a firefight with Han and those other guys.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think what was missing from the rathtars was personality. Their demeanor was just the generic all consuming monster. Compare that to the other dangerous creatures of the saga: the wampa, rancor, reek, ackalay, and nexu all have designs and traits that make them unique and compelling. The rathtars are closer to the undersea creatures from Naboo's core like the Opee Sea Killer in terms of memorability.

ZodaEX likes this.
  12. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    It could of been better. Like if they were in vents instead and you saw the gang members being dragged 2 there deaths. As with most movie monsters the less is more (seeing them).

Rhyoth likes this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I suspect that H.P. Lovecraft would've found the rathtars pretty neat.

14. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I just saw a funny video with Lego Han and Chewie having Rathtar troubles.

Anyway they talk about how much the Rathtars are worth and that they are contraband. Which gets me thinking what exactly what Han doing.

How did Han get into the crazy scheme of hauling dangerous animals. Why did he double finance the trip? Do you think it's illegal to transport them, and if Han delivered them what was the owner of these monsters going to do with them??? Do they go to a zoo? Are they going to be used like Jabba's Rancor?

Why did it have to be Rathtars.

One Quarter Portion likes this.
  15. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Is that clip canon?.

16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I hear rathtar tentacle soup is to die for.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Thread merge

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    That video is hillarious :p

Anyway, according to the novelization (I think he might have mentioned it once in the movie, though I'm not sure) he was going to sell them to some guy named King Prana, who owns a private zoo.

19. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I liked the Rathtars because of the "Alien" feeling that part of the movie had.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  20. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    According to Lucasfilm, the LEGO Star Wars shorts are not canon. So no, Chewie never lulled rathtars to sleep with baby talk. A shame, really.

21. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014

I think he mentions King Prana in the movie, but not the zoo part. That makes sense. After what happened with the Rancor and Sarlacc, I'd hope Han isn't selling man eating monsters to villains.

22. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Well,I liked a lot the part of the movie with the Rathars,except two things:
    - is sad such rare and awesome creatures have perished.
    - the Rathars have not eaten Rey; would have preferred to see the movie continuing with Rathars and without Rey ; think if this would have happened,
    the total box office of the movie would have been at least with 50% higher.

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I didn't get the sense that the rathtars were rare. Just that they are so dangerous that it's virtually impossible to trap them (nevermind transport them).

24. MonkeyHouse143

MonkeyHouse143 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 4, 2015
    It didn't ruin the movie for me but it felt straight out of Star Trek 2009, as many have said before.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    People who have exotic beasties captured for their own zoos purely to "one-up" their rivals:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Solculvis
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Prana

might qualify as very minor villains, in some settings.