main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rathtars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BOBA-FETT-82, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Just watched TFA for a third time on DVD (making it a total of five viewings thus far) and while I liked the Rathtar scene when watching the movie in the cinemas, I actually skipped it on the DVD... Probably got bored of it after a while, and felt that the whole section was rather out of place in the movie!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

2. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Well,the scene with Rathars is one of the most funny and awesome scenes,in the whole movie.
    From my point of view.

As for having the Rathars killed and not captured and taken safe at destination,that is,without any trolling,not nice.
    I would rather have seen another 10 minutes,of how Rathars are captured and after,Han and Chewie splits from Rey and Finn.
    And Han and Chewie go deliver the Rathars and send Finn and Rey to Maz Kanata tavern.
    Later,Han and Chewie appear just in time to save Finn,from Imperial troops.
    Han and Chewie,in the mean time,delivered the Rathars at destination and got some nice money for this.

3. Scott109

Scott109 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 22, 2016
    The rathtars look like ridiculous flying spaghetti monsters.

4. Dominus Libertas

Dominus Libertas Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 23, 2016
    A living rolling boulder from Indiana Jones with a mouth.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    And it's confirmed that this was deliberate.

6. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    I think that the rather scene itself made sense. It served three purposes - first it was a chance to continue building the chemistry between Rey and Finn, having them work together, then Finn getting captured and Rey saving him (specifically in a way that gave a hint that she was force sensitive the way she timed closing that door.) Second, that scene both introduced us to Han and showed us that he was completely back to his old tricks, illegally smuggling goods and trying to swindle other smugglers. Third, it gave us a break from the main storyline and really a chance to breathe for the first time in the film.

However, I think the rathars themselves could have been done better with the CGI. Maybe they should have been showed less, just seeing the tentacles and hearing them but never getting a full look at what they looked like. Maybe that would have taken the scene even further close to an Alien homage, but I still think it would have worked better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    they never cleaned up the rathtar blood on the floor!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    What happened to the Eravana at the end of that scene? That's something bugging my mind, after our heroes left in yours truly and sending one of the Rathtars to oblivion at the same time...

Han and Chewie can't be just leaving their "source of income" floating in space and at the hands of the two remaining Rathtars as well as one Scottish-accented thug who survived the carnage? :p

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I don't think they cared. They escaped with their lives and their old ship. It was back to the 'good old days'.

10. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    If I squint and can't see the Rathtars I really enjoy the scene. Han punching people and chewie smokin' foo's with his crossbow is ace.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there's nothing wrong with how they look.

mihaitzateo likes this.
  12. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Awful scene badly executed. The only complete clunker in the film.

13. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I think the design was perhaps a little uninspired, but the CGI itself was quite convincing.

14. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Not my cup of tea. Too over the top and a pretty non-believable situation: Rey, Finn, BB-8, Han, Chewie, the Millenium Falcon (just arrived), two gangs and three deadly rathtars inside a ship, all of them at the same time. Looks a bit hurried, CGI is a bit clunky and seems that Harrison Ford is not buying any of it.

The MF pursuit in Jakku had just been so the audience needed a break from all the action. I think a bigger, more touchy 'Chewie we're home' scene should've been put instead and after that, the Force talk. Then just simply hyperspaced themselves to Takodana.

15. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Maybe if Han was smuggling Giger Aliens...

16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    it's sw.

17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Aside from the scene itself, I like the exclamation point in its title on the soundtrack: "The Rathtars!"
    Completely old school pulp sci fi.

18. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I would have preferred the scene go something like this….

1. The two rival gangs show up.
    2. Han tries to talk his way out of it unsuccessfully.
    3. The kids below help by activating some kind of smoke or gas
    4. One gang member shoots the other. It spurs a war between the factions with Han and company in the middle
    5. They use this to escape
    6. Last minute and needing more distractions and time, they release the monsters as they escape in the Falcon.

The Rathar scene is the low point of the movie for me. Uninspired and always fast forwarded.

19. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That would've been really cool, too.
    I do like it the way it is, though.

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I love this scene.
    Han and Chewie are awesome in this.

The rather design doesn't bother me.

21. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    The Rathtars are a cool sidequest in the movie. No worries.

22. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It had Han Solo, Chewie, the Falcon (who've known for years), Rey and Finn who had been established in the movie earlier. Good enough for me.
    Go crazy with the designs. A whole universe to explore.

23. Star Searcher

Star Searcher Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 14, 2016
    I didn't mind the scene at all, I think it would have been great to have the scene following more from Bala-Tik, Tasu Leech and Razoo Qin-Fee perspective and how they fight the Rathtars and get away/don't get away. Would have been a nice addition I think.

24. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Just seen the scenes with the Rathars again.
    It seems that is Rey's Force inspiration to open the Rathars cages.
    If Rathars would have not been released, Han Solo and Chewie would have been killed by those two rival gangs.
    We do not know what happened to Rathars: Rey,Finn, Han Solo and Chewie are leaving the big ship in a rush.
    What is left of those two gangs,remains with the Rathars.
    EDIT:
    Someone should make a Rathars fan club.

Force Smuggler and Ricardo Funes like this.
  25. AshiusX

AshiusX Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 7, 2016
    Well. Technically speaking in A New Hope , Han Solo were basically smuggling the droids to the Rebel Alliance.

thejeditraitor likes this.