main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Rathtars

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BOBA-FETT-82, Dec 18, 2015.

1. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

actually the complaint that it copies parts of itself from previous movies and the fact that it's used as a complaint is the funny part to me for two reasons... 1) the reasons why it mirrors itself with the whole fate vs free will aspect combined with the self referential cultural impact are very clever and original. I've seen movies try to copy past work before and it usually feels empty, whereas this holds a lot of meaning behind it. 2) there really is no such thing as original plot points, everything has been done many times before in many different ways so if you're going to have a role model I can't think of a better one than the OT. The fact that it has so much meaning behind it adds a lot more to the lore and themes than obscure plot choices for the sake of it ever could

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  2. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I'm anti-Rathtar for one particular reason.

You see, I saw the movie in 3D the first time. So when the Rathtars came barreling out of their cages they were so non-starwarsy that I just assumed it wasn't apart of the movie, and actual aliens had just busted through the screen. I was on Row A (front row ((worst seats ever)), and by the time I realized the Rathtars weren't real i had already crawled up to Row J (fun fact there is now Row I because it looks like Row 1). I had been throwing my popcorn at the screen while I was climbing to appease the Rathtars' insatiable hunger.

Anyway, long story short, I've been banned from my local theater, but on the bright side I haven't seen any Rathtars for months.

I thought I was watching Star Wars, not Men In Black 4!

Tackelberry likes this.
  3. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    The scene was fun and exciting, although useless to the plot in a story that really needed to focus on the plot. It irks me that these scenes stayed in while the political discussion about the Republic and the New Order was cut. "Muh explosions", I guess.

AshiusX likes this.
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Replace a fun action scene with Politics..... George, it's not your franchise anymore.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  5. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  6. BloodStripe

BloodStripe Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    Ayup.

Dig the Rathtars themselves or don't (I could take or leave 'em) but the character work in that sequence is both important and enjoyable, IMO. And there absolutely needed to be a high stakes action scene at that point in the movie to create a believable bond between Rey/Finn and Han/Chewie. As far as motivating Han's willingness, in particular, to help them, the mention of Luke's name alone wasn't gonna cut it.

7. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    They need to show Han as a smuggler.

As such, he must be smuggling something dangerous.

They needed to show Han was still deep in trouble with gangs and such.

They wanted a crisis in order to get them out of the situation.

Rathtars are perfect for this.

This part of the movie was not made for old fans. It was for new fans to be introduced to the smuggler.

8. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    The only part I don't understand is WHERE exactly the Falcon is at this point. Rey and Finn haven't jumped to hyperspace yet and Finn is talking about they need to get out of this system (Jakku's system apparently) but the First Order acts like they are completely gone from all nearby regions...and when Han finds them he is surprised the ship was on Jakku even though they are apparently in that system...

Did Rey fly really far into deep space on sublight or something?

9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I believe Han shot first. But, punching a guy and tossing him into waiting mouth of a Rahtar?
    ----

came in here to say the exact same thing.

Punching the dude to escape, fine. Taking the extra effort to drag the guy and throw him into the waiting mouth of a Rathtar was a bit too much to be honest.

Otherwise scene was ok, *shrugs*

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
  11. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    thejeditraitor that a good lol or "what a complete nonsense post" lol? :p

12. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    both.

13. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    eh I dunno, just thought it was a bit OOC, as I say punching the guy and having the Que Sera, Sera attitude is fine, if he gets eaten he gets eaten... it's the actual throwing him to the Rathtars that's a bit...eh at least for me, been better without it.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  14. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I don't wanna break up the meeting or nothin' but The Rathtars are a bit distracting, imo. They're fine though.
    Han throwing him to the Rathtar is kinda funny, from a certain point of view.

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I had no problem with it.
    Gotta do what you gotta do.

16. debiler

debiler Jedi Padawan

May 17, 2016
    I didn't mind the Rathtars. Although the CGI didn't look amazing, they were fine for me. What rubbed me the wrong way though were the two bounty hunter groups. They felt completely out of place, which is why much of that sequence didn't work for me. Maybe if one of the groups would have been Rodians, Trandoshans, Twi'lek or something else Starwars-y, it wouldn't have felt that awkward.

I loved Han throwing that guy to the Rathtar. He looks out for himself and Chewie. And a feeding monster is generally less likely to eat you.

17. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    If TFA was a RPG, the Rathtars would be a sidequest. Which is ok, it is world-building a little bit. Who is King Prana?, and so on.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    There's also a lot of that sort of thing in the OT. Han and Leia in the belly of a space worm with the mynocks, the Jabba's palace and sarlacc sequences. Keeps the films from feeling too one note (or too small).